Carrara Challenge # 51 - Here There Be Dragons! Folk/Fairy Tales WIP thread - Brilliant Images

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,967
    Mystiarra said:

6 more days?

sorry I forgot to change the title of the thread!! all done

I'm flexable with the dates.

Been busy making a veggie garden...

Diomede said:

Snow White with a Songbird.

Another simple scene.  The figure is G2F.  I have an old snow white outfit for G2F and Carrara hair style that I had made.  Songbird is from Daz store.

I rendered the base scene.  Then I took the base render and put it in the backdrop.  I did an NPR render from the base render in the backdrop.  

In image editor, multiplied the NPR on to the base render.

very nice Ted, shows that simplicity is elegant - thanks for sharing the npr settings too :)

edited March 2020

Daniel in The Lion's Den

a 4000 pixel plus image if you click it

I hope this doesnt offend anyone suggesting that this story is a myth... well it's a metaphor I guess.

Had a lot of trouble with the lion manes - when I tried to fix it to the lion figure Carrara gave up an error - I went back door through studio and saved out a duf. Carrara crashed again.

Then I went to poser to see if I got an error - and blah blah I have to update Poser 11 and then I put in the reg number and "you have used all your registrations for this product' blah. In the end I just parented 

the mane to the lion head and injected pose to the lion and the same pose to the main.

Daniel's robe is a monk's robe with a new texture and the hood and cross hidden - the cell is a torture chamber available here at Daz. 

I had to restructure the jaw  on the fron left lion cause it looked weird - so I copied the jaw of the right front lion onto it.

I needed more room at the top for the halo thingy so I distorted that part of the canvas.

I wanted separate windows on other side of Daniel so I did a seperate render and stuck them in in post.

His hair looked weird so I copied part of the beard onto the hair and di another render without hair to solve the eyebrow poke through.

I also painted in some of his beard to make it longer and less dorky

Bones are from the dragon skelton available here at daz - I detached the skeleton from the figure so I could isolate the bones I wanted and added a custom texture to add a bit of blood

I rendered out the image at 6000 pixels wide so I had room to play.

Post work tone mapping with affinity pro, nik filters, topaz impression and simplify , Filter Forge for a parchment feel (use the overlay parameter on a parchment image - dirties up the image a little)

Unpostworked image attached 

before post - tone mapping is great because it means you don't have to be so careful with your scene lighting

here's an example of tone mapping to show you how you can rescue your detail back if your lighting is off

lions32.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 860K
    lions32nobeardct.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i am curious of this tone mapping of which you mention 
    and color grading.
    anything could do at render time without post work?

Mystiarra said:

i am curious of this tone mapping of which you mention 
    and color grading.
    anything could do at render time without post work?

Hi as far as I can figure the tone mapping compresses the tonal range - so instead of having eg ten values from black to white you might only get 5 values from light grey to dark greyy.

You can also tweak local contrast so that areas have more zing.

At render time you could tweak your gamma I guess - or just light your scene properly :)

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,379
    Headwax said:

Daniel in The Lion's Den

a 4000 pixel plus image if you click it

I hope this doesnt offend anyone suggesting that this story is a myth... well it's a metaphor I guess.

Had a lot of trouble with the lion manes - when I tried to fix it to the lion figure Carrara gave up an error - I went back door through studio and saved out a duf. Carrara crashed again.

Then I went to poser to see if I got an error - and blah blah I have to update Poser 11 and then I put in the reg number and "you have used all your registrations for this product' blah. In the end I just parented 

the mane to the lion head and injected pose to the lion and the same pose to the main.

Daniel's robe is a monk's robe with a new texture and the hood and cross hidden - the cell is a torture chamber available here at Daz. 

I had to restructure the jaw  on the fron left lion cause it looked weird - so I copied the jaw of the right front lion onto it.

I needed more room at the top for the halo thingy so I distorted that part of the canvas.

I wanted separate windows on other side of Daniel so I did a seperate render and stuck them in in post.

His hair looked weird so I copied part of the beard onto the hair and di another render without hair to solve the eyebrow poke through.

I also painted in some of his beard to make it longer and less dorky

Bones are from the dragon skelton available here at daz - I detached the skeleton from the figure so I could isolate the bones I wanted and added a custom texture to add a bit of blood

I rendered out the image at 6000 pixels wide so I had room to play.

Post work tone mapping with affinity pro, nik filters, topaz impression and simplify , Filter Forge for a parchment feel (use the overlay parameter on a parchment image - dirties up the image a little)

Unpostworked image attached 

before post - tone mapping is great because it means you don't have to be so careful with your scene lighting

here's an example of tone mapping to show you how you can rescue your detail back if your lighting is off

Very nice (render that is, not lions having a feast !!!!)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,130

Thanks for the comments on Snow White and the Songbird.  Revisiting it, I can see that the NPR and composite lost the rim light and darkened the background, the combination of which obscures everything.  May leave it as it is.

Daniel and the Lion's Den looks amazing.  Love the little sparkles and selective lighting of the lions faces.

edited March 2020

Returning to my witch character from Veronika's Janna character.  Rather than dealing with rigging issues, I've gone back to VWD.  Not sure that I've tried using it on my fancy new machine, or that this machine has the newest version.  But in any case, VWD is even better than I remembered.

- modeled a robe and cord-belt to fit Janna.  I'll attach the mesh in a subsequent post.  No shaders yet.

- loaded Janna/blended and the robe in a new scene.

- advanced the sequencer a second and a half (frame 45?)

- applied a sitting pose that comes with Janna

- seleted the mesh and used the File : Go VWD command to initiate Gerald's plugin.

- selected Janna as the collision object and accepted the defaults.

- selected my robe mesh as the cloth object and accepted the defaults.

- in the vertex selection menu, I selected by shading domain and selected the cord-belt.

- in the forces menu I nailed the selected cord-belt to the collision object.

- accepted the default simulation settings and started the dynamic simulation

- when complete, I sent the simulation to host.

Test render of the result.  Not bad for default settings.  Perhaps can do even better with some setting adjustments and by including a stool or chair to sit on.

janna witch mesh scene.jpg
    753 x 828 - 80K
    janna mesh go vwd 2 default.jpg
    1011 x 717 - 104K
    janna mesh go vwd 3 menu.jpg
    1464 x 985 - 206K
    janna mesh go vwd 4 collision.jpg
    444 x 729 - 67K
    janna mesh go vwd 5 cloth.jpg
    470 x 972 - 94K
    janna mesh go vwd 6 vertex xelection select belt.jpg
    485 x 696 - 71K
    janna mesh go vwd 7 nail to collision under forces and springs.jpg
    383 x 911 - 93K
    janna mesh go vwd 8 start dynamic simulation.jpg
    368 x 870 - 75K
    janna mesh go vwd 9 send animation to host.jpg
    343 x 700 - 61K
    janna mesh go vwd 9b test render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 11K
    janna mesh go vwd.jpg
    1870 x 968 - 324K
    janna pose.jpg
    1447 x 968 - 290K
    janna sequencer.jpg
    1843 x 938 - 294K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Here is the robe mesh to fit Janna.  See attached zip.  Very simple.  It has not been rigged.  There are no shaders.  Free for any use, except please don't redistribute the mesh.

janna witch mesh model.jpg
    1834 x 987 - 364K
    zip
    zip
    Janna Witch Mesh zip.zip
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited March 2020

Sorry, I've fallen behind as usual. Amazing work being produced here, will have to backtrack a bit to comment.

Headwax said:

wow you two Desrt dude and Ted rip making your own stuff - very impressive. And it gives that original look that so many things in the dazuniverse are lacking.

Thanks Headwax!

Stezza said:

Mr Do Bee awesome yes

Diomede said:

Thanks Stezza! 

Bunyip02 said:

Desert dude - admire your patience on rigging the moth

Thanks Bunyip02, I keep trying to learn.
    Hope I didn't miss anyone, thanks all.

Edited to add: Ah, sorry Diomede (sorry, couldn't figure out how to requote editing a post...) - ha, yes there are lots of bones, but saved by the fact he has "oven mitt" feeties/hands.  laugh

Post edited by DesertDude on
    edited March 2020

I have made some progress, here is the latest WIP.
    Explanations and pictures to follow.
    Working on adding more and more layers of detail. And eventually there will be some moths getting gently "zapped" and singed by lamps and bumping into windows

star_and_moth_setup_wip_003.jpg
    860 x 1000 - 104K
    edited March 2020

It took a while for me to come up with a scene, I waffled between indoor or outdoor, and what elements I wanted to portray. I eventually landed with this concept for an outdoor street scene (I scanned my sketch and put it in the backdrop temporarily to work from).

The buildings are really simple models started from a cube in the Vertex Modeler. I just cut in or extruded the necessary details. I then applied various Modifiers to each building in the Assembly room. The building on the right has a Taper Modifier, the first on the left has Warp, next Wave (on the Z axis), next Wave (X axis), next Bulge and last, Taper again.

And since this is a still, I only added details that would be visible to the camera.  smiley

The street, sidewalk and beginning of the grass were originally modeled straight down the X axis. I then experimented in the Assembly room with the Bend and Twist Modifier, and when I dialed in what 'matched' my sketch I took the model back to the Vertex Modeler and applied the settings under Model > Deform > Bend and Twist. I then extruded the grass some more from that bent model. 

scene_wip_001.jpg
    790 x 889 - 126K
    l_building_01.jpg
    1164 x 939 - 108K
    street_start_model.jpg
    1195 x 972 - 85K
    street_curved.jpg
    931 x 947 - 83K
    edited March 2020

The backdrop sky image was made using a combination of a Bi Gradient and a large half dome covering the scene with a shader using Natural Functions > Spots. I also added an Aura to the dome object. The reason I had to make an image and drop it in the backdrop using the 'Map' option is I have two star domes - the distant stars and the yellow stars. Both have Aura invoked, and when rendered together produced some strange stippling artifacts. Neither was casting or receiving shadows, so I just rendered the Bi Gradient and Distant Star Dome together and that solved the issue. smiley

Each street lamp has a Bulb Light, but with very limited range - mainly wanted to experiment with the Light Sphere option. Screen grab of model has 2 glass panes hidden (in the Vertex Modeler go to View > Hide Selection) so you can see a modeled light bulb inside.

Last picture is the scene in the Assembly Room in its current state.

backdrop.jpg
    238 x 216 - 21K
    distant_stars_shader.jpg
    627 x 878 - 103K
    street_light_model.jpg
    520 x 949 - 84K
    assembly_room_001.jpg
    1719 x 1178 - 241K

Wonderful and fanciful image, DesertDude.  Thanks for providing all the detail.  The shapes and colors work great.  I am noting the combination of the backdrop and sky dome for the future.  Great tip.

edited March 2020

Spinning wheel project update.

All objects are simple vertex objects.  The straw is made up of 5 slightly morphed thin vertex cylinders.  A few were scattered on the floor with a surface replicator.  Duplicates were then gathered in box shapes using the regular replicator on grid setting.  Original and postwork attached.

Original

with a little postwork

Spinning Wheel 02 composite.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 765K
    Spinning Wheel 02.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M

Thank you Diomede!

edited March 2020

Varsel - Great troll under the bridge image. Strong composition and I like that canvas simulated look. It looks like a grisaille (a term for a monochromatic underpainting,  be it grey, or umber or whatever color, for those who may not know). And I like the image with the apples and the mirror  looks great. Nice modeling details in the that mirror frame!

Mystiarra - Love the "airiness" and lightness of the of the Faerie Dragon indoor scene. Nice. And Monsters from the cupboard - there is that adorable butterfly again!. Quite a contrast to the monster rat...wouldn't want to encounter that at night. Even with my two attack cats...think we'd all be fleeing.

Bunyip02 - Fairy scene has great colors and environment and mood. Spectacular. And I like the addition of the 'valient pooch' to the rescue. smiley

Cbird - great composition, I dig the tilt. And those colors really pop - nice.

Stezza - Judging by the work on the shelves that's not your old fashioned Geppetto at work...great colors and prespetive. The Tin Soldier image is very clever, yikes, Monster Rat again. Great water splashes - were those done in Carrara, and if so, do you mind if I ask what you used?

Headwax - Your techniques are so refined. The images of the rabbit, the frog, Mr Badger, are all so delightful. Thanks for the explanations on how you achieve them. Really dig those soft violet shadows in the Pied Piper. The Frog Prince looks like it could have been painted by someone in the Pre-Raphaelite movement. Lovely.

edited March 2020

Diomede - Wow, that loom model is awesome, no wonder customers around you were impressed. Is it all geometry or are there some shader tricks going on, or a combination of both? Toon witches are looking great, hope we get to see them in action. And great job on the spinning wheel model and composition. You just instantly know what it's about. Great use of replicator for straw.

WendyLuvsCatz - Wow, the environment looks fantastic. So, when you say various backgrounds added in Hitfilm, were they also rendered in Carrara and with Octane? What constitutes the background? I'm asking 'cause they look really good. smiley

Cbird - great composition, I dig the tilt. And those colors really pop - nice.

Stezza - Judging by the work on the shelves that's not your old fashioned Geppetto at work...great colors and prespetive. The Tin Soldier image is very clever, yikes, Monster Rat again. Great water splashes - were those done in Carrara, and if so, do you mind if I ask what you used?

Headwax - Your techniques are so refined. The images of the rabbit, the frog, Mr Badger, are all so delightful. Thanks for the explanations on how you achieve them. Really dig those soft violet shadows in the Pied Piper. The Frog Prince looks like it could have been painted by someone in the Pre-Raphaelite movement. Lovely.

Thanks! That's very kind! :) Those  painters must have had the patience of Job ... !

Diomede said:

Spinning wheel project update.

All objects are simple vertex objects.  The straw is made up of 5 slightly morphed thin vertex cylinders.  A few were scattered on the floor with a surface replicator.  Duplicates were then gathered in box shapes using the regular replicator on grid setting.  Original and postwork attached.

Original

with a little postwork

what a great scene, the straw takes the cake - soon you will be a daz pa ;)

I have made some progress, here is the latest WIP.
    Explanations and pictures to follow.
    Working on adding more and more layers of detail. And eventually there will be some moths getting gently "zapped" and singed by lamps and bumping into windows

superb, you would never know it was a 3d render - that's a high compliment! thanks for the explanations - looking forward to sitting down and going through them - still planting vegetables.....

thanks for the comments on the Lion's Den Ted et Bunyip02 !

Diomede said:

Returning to my witch character from Veronika's Janna character.  Rather than dealing with rigging issues, I've gone back to VWD.  Not sure that I've tried using it on my fancy new machine, or that this machine has the newest version.  But in any case, VWD is even better than I remembered.

- modeled a robe and cord-belt to fit Janna.  I'll attach the mesh in a subsequent post.  No shaders yet.

- loaded Janna/blended and the robe in a new scene.

- advanced the sequencer a second and a half (frame 45?)

- applied a sitting pose that comes with Janna

- seleted the mesh and used the File : Go VWD command to initiate Gerald's plugin.

- selected Janna as the collision object and accepted the defaults.

- selected my robe mesh as the cloth object and accepted the defaults.

- in the vertex selection menu, I selected by shading domain and selected the cord-belt.

- in the forces menu I nailed the selected cord-belt to the collision object.

- accepted the default simulation settings and started the dynamic simulation

- when complete, I sent the simulation to host.

Test render of the result.  Not bad for default settings.  Perhaps can do even better with some setting adjustments and by including a stool or chair to sit on.

beautiful use of VWD - such a great program, we are very lucky - and thanks for the robe :)

edited March 2020

2 variations of working up the diffuse render pass  -  the grey one is simple tone mapping of the pure pass 

lions32_MaterialDiffuse.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    lions32_MaterialDiffusetonemapped.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,996

Stezza - The Tin Soldier image is very clever, yikes, Monster Rat again. Great water splashes - were those done in Carrara, and if so, do you mind if I ask what you used?

thanks,

that render is three renders composited in PSE with splash brushes used to get the splash effects

I rendered the wall/drain then the rat and boat then the ocean primitive saving as PNG with trans .. layered all in PSE and postworked away wink

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,058
    edited March 2020

Diomede - Wow, that loom model is awesome, no wonder customers around you were impressed. Is it all geometry or are there some shader tricks going on, or a combination of both? Toon witches are looking great, hope we get to see them in action. And great job on the spinning wheel model and composition. You just instantly know what it's about. Great use of replicator for straw.

WendyLuvsCatz - Wow, the environment looks fantastic. So, when you say various backgrounds added in Hitfilm, were they also rendered in Carrara and with Octane? What constitutes the background? I'm asking 'cause they look really good. smiley

one had a DAZ iray render of Magix's iray worlds the other a Flowscape shadowplay capture so no not Carrara, the foreground figures were

but the Cat one was actually all Carrara Octane

not entries so doesn't matter cheeky

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited March 2020

Thank you for the comments on the spinning wheel, DesertDude and Headwax.

Here is an update of the John Henry project.  The mallet has been replaced with a maul, as per alert comments.  Genesis and custom overalls with shadow catchers against a background render from TangoAlpha's "End of the Track's" product.  A little postwork to fix some pokethrough on the left sleeve, adjust some shadows with shadow pass, and enhance the iron of the maul.

Original render, revised render, and scene setup attached.

JH Revised Entry.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 793K
    JH Revised 01.png
    1236 x 1600 - 2M
    john henry shadow catchers.jpg
    1522 x 995 - 322K
  • CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    edited March 2020

DesertDude, thank you for the comment. I love, love your building modifiers. I'm thinking spooky German Expressionism possibilities now!

Diomede, The sense of power in that pose sells it for me. (and I learned about mauls).

Headwax, Daniel is wonderful. I think that tone mapping tip will be endlessly useful.

This isn't an entry unless LOTR is a modern fairy tale, but I wanted a place to post it :)

Post makes use of Topaz Glow 2 which I really like, then Impression. Frame is Filter Forge.

TimeWeHave.jpg
    1154 x 1500 - 677K
    Post edited by Chohole on

CBird - another great image.  IMHO, the Lord of the Rings qualifies as a fairy tale in the usual usage of that term, but I defer to Headwax as coordinator for an official ruling.  Fairy tales and myths influenced Tolkien.

the following is taken from a fan site - https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings

Non-Christian religious motifs also had strong influences in Tolkien's Middle-earth. His Ainur, a race of angelic beings who are responsible for conceptualising the world, includes the Valar, the pantheon of "gods" who are responsible for the maintenance of everything from skies and seas to dreams and doom, and their servants, the Maiar. The concept of the Valar echoes Greek and Norse mythologies, although the Ainur and the world itself are all creations of a monotheistic deity — Ilúvatar or Eru, "The One". As the external practice of Middle-earth religion is downplayed in The Lord of the Rings, explicit information about them is only given in the different versions of Silmarillion material. However, there remain allusions to this aspect of Tolkien's mythos, including "the Great Enemy" who was Sauron's master and "Elbereth, Queen of Stars" (Morgoth and Varda respectively, two of the Valar) in the main text, the "Authorities" (referring to the Valar, literally Powers) in the Prologue, and "the One" in Appendix A. Other non-Christian mythological elements can be seen, including other sentient non-humans (Dwarves, Elves, Hobbits and Ents), a "Green Man" (Tom Bombadil), and spirits or ghosts (Barrow-wightsOathbreakers).

Gandalf the "Odinic wanderer", from a book cover by John Howe.

The mythologies from northern Europe are perhaps the best known non-Christian influences on Tolkien. His Elves and Dwarves are by and large based on Norse and related Germanic mythologies.[citation needed] The figure of Gandalf is particularly influenced by the Germanic deity Odin in his incarnation as "the Wanderer", an old man with one eye, a long white beard, a wide brimmed hat, and a staff; Tolkien states that he thinks of Gandalf as an "Odinic wanderer" in a letter of 1946.[3] Finnish mythology and more specifically the Finnish national epic Kalevala were also acknowledged by Tolkien as an influence on Middle-earth. [citation needed] In a similar manner to The Lord of the Rings, the Kalevala centers around a magical item of great power, the Sampo, which bestows great fortune on its owner but never makes its exact nature clear. Like the One Ring, the Sampo is fought over by forces of good and evil, and is ultimately lost to the world as it is destroyed towards the end of the story. In another parallel, the latter work's wizard character Väinämöinen also has many similarities to Gandalf in his immortal origins and wise nature, and both works end with their respective wizard departing on a ship to lands beyond the mortal world. Tolkien also based his Elvish language Quenya on Finnish