Carrara Challenge # 51 - Here There Be Dragons! Folk/Fairy Tales WIP thread - Brilliant Images

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,967

I'm working on one. I haven't been online much, but Carrara's been busy! LOL

Cheers from the exhausted! :)

great news Dart - looking forward to you rendering up a storm

Bunyip02 said:
    Mystiarra said:

wip  CH51_03  Monsters from the Cupboard on the Loose

loose and roaming free

https://www.daz3d.com/lovebugs-heartfly

https://www.daz3d.com/monsters-in-my-cupboard

Like this one Misty !

super cute Misty :)

Cbird said:

Work is kicking my butt right now, but this theme is so hard to resist.

I love Aesop and all the medieval versions.

DesertDude, I was also thinking of Thurber, so happy you are doing one.

Varsel, those queen textures are gorgeous.

Bunyip, the postwork on your frog prince makes his grin really stand out. I love it.

Misty, that monster rat is soooo creepy!

Stezza, I got to see Alice a few years ago. Lots of fun. I like that your giant rat seems to be greeting him like a buddy, lol

Headwax, the texture on the witch is a fabulous blend of colours, but I'm most intrigued by her sad eyes. There is a whole story there.

Sorry, I've missed a bunch, but this is a very cool thread.

I'm kitbashing Merlin's Archaic Ruins and Esha's Grapevines from the store. AM's fox with Carrara Hair. Hopefully i get something done.

thanks cbird - yes she has two sides - both of them evil :)

Varsel said:

Trying something else....

Still not there yet...

sinusoidal qualities - lighting is singing :)

edited March 2020

here a fellow from me - not sure if he i aesop the turtle and the hare or something else.

K4 with a few tortuous morhs - like scaling down the shins to 35 percent :)

I cut off noggins wabbitts head and glued him place - the right hand in te render looked weird so I fiexed that in post by using the object pass to isolate the left hand and copy and paste it over to the wabbits right hand

i use tone mapping a lot in my post work - so the unprocess image looks pretty dark - tone mapping rescues that 

I also render out a normal map and tone mpp that and that can be used to bring roundness back into the character - used topaz impression custom filter and topaz simplify buzzsiom pastel

watercolour papare comes from filter forge

the eye reflections make a bidg difference - painted by hand - quicker and easier 

rabbittcropped.jpg
    2000 x 2640 - 4M
    rabbitt.jpg
    2000 x 2832 - 2M
    rabbitt_Normal.jpg
    2000 x 2832 - 558K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,130
    edited March 2020

Still living out of a suitcase, but have a base of operations now.  Will circle back and go through thread soon.

Meanwhile, I astonished folks in a Dunkin' Donuts with some fancy Carrara modeling.  OK, not so fancy.  But I did get started on another fairy tale project.  Modeled and UVMapped a simple loom.

Some common tropes across cultures are:  3 witches - fate - our fates are woven on looms.

Lloyd Alexander reinterpreted some fairy tales from Wales in his Chronicles of Prydain book series.  In one of the books, the hero (Taran) visits the three witches believed to control his fate.  Here is a start on a loom with a partially finished project.  I chose Bugs Bunny as a placeholder.  Three witches and actual weave pattern still to come.

wip loom.jpg
    640 x 480 - 43K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Only going back one page.  Sorry if I missed anyone.

… Misty – Indoor dragon, I always forget about native scenes.  Great way to get a start on a scene.  Way to tweak the lighting.

… Bunyip - Dragon and Damsel, watch it mister, modern women do not need Prince Valiant to come to their rescue.  You will be banned from the internet for suggesting such a thing.  LOL.  Maybe the dragon is her pet?

… Misty – Rat, great use of the shape light, and I like the camera angle as well.  Dramatic.

…Bunyip – Frog Prince, really cool concept.  Like the colors.  Maybe add some lipstick?  Just kidding.

…Bunyip – Off with the Faeries.  Another wonderful camera angle.  Everyone clap if you believe!

…CBird – the tail on the fox looks excellent.  Nice job with the Carrara hair.  And, yet another great camera angle.  I’m getting too obsessed with camera angles, I think.  Sorry about work, except it is probably a good thing to be busy.

…Stezza – Tin soldier.  Wow, pushing all my whimsical childlike buttons (a very good thing).  Very polished, as always.

…HeadWax – Rabbit.  So this is a K4 morph?  Really excellent.  I would never have guessed.  The kitbashing with noggins head is seamless.  Great work.

step aside Xerr... the Monster Rat is here!.... thanks Mysty wink

Two boys find the tin soldier, place him in a paper boat, and set him sailing in the gutter. The boat and its passenger wash into a storm drain, where a rat demands the soldier pay a toll.

The Tin Soldier

verging on a masterpiece - the rat is a lovely suprise ...

Diomede said:

Only going back one page.  Sorry if I missed anyone.

…HeadWax – Rabbit.  So this is a K4 morph?  Really excellent.  I would never have guessed.  The kitbashing with noggins head is seamless.  Great work.

Thanks Ted, your talent is 'looming' out in front of us!! Original concept - I like how you have approached it. Would never have thought of that!

K4? Originally I injected him with creature morphs for M4 and dialed up rabbit ears - and it looked pretty aweful.

I got this body by playing with the z scaling in the legs and arms - and changing the morph limits for the hands - the texture is stoloen from noggins wabbitt too.

I gave him hairs but it twas taking too long to r ender - by the time it thought about it I could have done a tutorial on corel painter and painted the buggers n by hand!!

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    edited March 2020

Foxy finished: Liberal application of Topaz filters, a watercolor frame effect from Filter Forge.

If anyone has the fox and would like the Carrara fur, I'm happy to share. The face would not win any fox grooming contests, however :-)

Edit: added unfiltered render

FoxAndGrapes.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    FoxBeauty.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 646K
    Post edited by Cbird on
    Diomede said:

Still living out of a suitcase, but have a base of operations now.  Will circle back and go through thread soon.

Meanwhile, I astonished folks in a Dunkin' Donuts with some fancy Carrara modeling.  OK, not so fancy.  But I did get started on another fairy tale project.  Modeled and UVMapped a simple loom.

Some common tropes across cultures are:  3 witches - fate - our fates are woven on looms.

Lloyd Alexander reinterpreted some fairy tales from Wales in his Chronicles of Prydain book series.  In one of the books, the hero (Taran) visits the three witches believed to control his fate.  Here is a start on a loom with a partially finished project.  I chose Bugs Bunny as a placeholder.  Three witches and actual weave pattern still to come.

This loom is great! I will now always think Penelope was working on this image.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,996

@Headwax... def Wind in the Willows... only cause Ben was playing in the backgroound here at the time of looking! ... coincidence?... I think not! smiley

dunkin donuts... sounds fattening and modelling as well... wwhat looms ahead, time will tell.. awesome @Diomede

from dunking donuts to foxy foxes... I like what you did there @cBird very nice wink

thanks _ I have a road map now :) obliged!!

edited March 2020

smiley

anytime angel

Jiminy

Jiminy.png
    800 x 600 - 852K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    Cbird said:

Foxy finished: Liberal application of Topaz filters, a watercolor frame effect from Filter Forge.

If anyone has the fox and would like the Carrara fur, I'm happy to share. The face would not win any fox grooming contests, however :-)

Edit: added unfiltered render

Cbird - that effect on the wall is classic - great idea to tilt the composition - much more dynamic . Fur really improves the fox!

smiley

anytime angel

Jiminy

another classic Stezza, the unfinished head son the shelves add a touch ovf veraicty = didnt the wooden boy accidentally bump off the poor cricket ? 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

oh, we allowed 5 entries?  Kewl!

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited March 2020

This is starting to look like something I can use.. ?

The face in the mirror and the tablesupport are both Genesis. Posed in Carrara, and exported as an .obj.

There is only one lightbulb. Bu I am using *Indirect lights at 100% and Caustics at 300%

Doc2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 831K
    Post edited by Varsel on

Thank you, Stezza and Headwax!

Varsel, the mirror is so creey!

Stezza, that Jiminy workshop is bright and well-lit and yet I still wouldn't want to be there alone!

Thanks for the kind comments on my loom, Stezza, CBird, and Headwax.

Do we have any dates on the challenge?  Budgeting time because I'm on barebones laptop.  I found and downloaded the witch from the Carrara animation group.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,057
    edited March 2020

Not an entry ... just want to join in a bit more heart

Jonesy is off on a medieval adventure heart

maybe thar be dragons and faire maidens, forsootne

Jonesy rendered in Carrara Octane plugin, various backgrounds added in post in Hitfilm

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited March 2020

Jonesy rendered in Carrara Octane plugin, various backgrounds added in post in Hitfilm

beautiful music :) I love it when you post stuff like this Wendy

Mystiarra said:

sound slike it - five better than none :)

Varsel said:

The face in the mirror and the tablesupport are both Genesis. Posed in Carrara, and exported as an .obj.

There is only one lightbulb. Bu I am using *Indirect lights at 100% and Caustics at 300%

yes the darkness seeps over tjis image

Diomede said:

Do we have any dates on the challenge?  Budgeting time because I'm on barebones laptop.  I found and downloaded the witch from the Carrara animation group.

Hya Ted, I'm open to suggestions as far as Dates ! I was hanging there bieng flexible - hows the toilet paper stock there ? I have been stockpiling newspapers with our PM's face on them....

Jonesy should be happier given the beautiful places you've given him, Wendy! But it makes sense if he's worried about approaching dragons.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Headwax said:

beautiful music :) I love it when you post stuff like this Wendy

Mystiarra said:

sound slike it - five better than none :)

Varsel said:

yes the darkness seeps over tjis image

Diomede said:

Hya Ted, I'm open to suggestions as far as Dates ! I was hanging there bieng flexible - hows the toilet paper stock there ? I have been stockpiling newspapers with our PM's face on them....

can send youd care packages.  moist towelettes?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,057

a bidet would be nicer

No worries about the Challenge dates.  I'm just trying to budget time because I don't have much content to draw from while I'm being a nomad.  I either have to model background stuff myself, or download some freebies.  I'm carving out some 3D time almost every day, even if it is at a coffee shop in the morning.  

edited March 2020

Three witches.  Did some morphs on the animation club witch.  Also re-boned.  With some gray shaders for the hair, some differences in the shaders for the dresses, will hopefully look like three different witches.  Orddu, Orwen, and Orgoch

3 witches 02.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 73K
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited March 2020

Did more work on the main moth - made some minor alterations to the body, attached the legs and wings, and gave him upper and lower eyes lids. I then made the rig and attached weights - he articulates well enough but I'm sure I'll discover some nasty surprise(s) soon.

star_moth_002.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 54K
    star_moth_asembly_002.jpg
    1395 x 917 - 211K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
    edited March 2020

DesertDude - that is a lot of bones!!!

looks great, can't wait to see him fly.

Did a quick update to the witches, using Philemo's hair to mesh plugin.  Hopefully, they look like three different witches.  Used the toon override function on the hair of the hatless one, otherwise the lines would be so dense to make the hair look black instead of gray.

witches update.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 88K
    toon override.png
    437 x 625 - 105K
    zip
    zip
    Janna Witch Dress 3 Temp Car zip.zip

wow you two Desrt dude and Ted rip making your own stuff - very impressive. And it gives that original look that so many things in the dazuniverse are lacking.

great to see toon being used - you gave me some ideas :)

edited March 2020

here's a frog i found in runtime onn k4 body toon!!!pro11 and wireframe render lots of ambient and a little distant light for shadow

frog retextured 

Doc3.jpg
    1617 x 1482 - 718K

Did more work on the main moth - made some minor alterations to the body, attached the legs and wings, and gave him upper and lower eyes lids. I then made the rig and attached weights - he articulates well enough but I'm sure I'll discover some nasty surprise(s) soon.

Mr Do Bee awesome yes

Diomede said:

DesertDude - that is a lot of bones!!!

looks great, can't wait to see him fly.

Did a quick update to the witches, using Philemo's hair to mesh plugin.  Hopefully, they look like three different witches.  Used the toon override function on the hair of the hatless one, otherwise the lines would be so dense to make the hair look black instead of gray.

terrific as usual Mr Ted... and I'm currently watching reruns on Amazon of the three witches series... smiley

Varsel said:

can't wait to see the finished image... looking great yes  smiley

@headwax coming along very nicely wink

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,379
    Headwax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Off with the Fairy's once again.....

Raw render

Post-worked, Topaz to pop the details

wow that's wonderful - great pose etc - what is the tree and landscape - fits thebill perfectly

Thanks

Tree House is DMs Fairy Castle - Renderosity

Landscape is Fairytale Collection -- Fairytale Story - https://www.daz3d.com/fairytale-collection-fairytale-story