It’s The End Of The World As We Know It, And I Feel Fine!

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,095
    edited December 1969

you always could offer to do a voluntary job there like running pre work tai chi or yoga group for morale! %-P
    a lunchtime WOW LAN group
    or afterwork pizza bringer!!!
    might even lead to bigger things!
    depends on the boss, and prob the type of job!
    if they use Zbrush and Maya I assume it is artistic design of some flavour.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Downscaled game graphic design. These days he wants to concentrate on games for iPhone and Android.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,930
    edited December 1969

The company that makes our modeling program is doing the same thing. So, fat chance on an updated version.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    The company that makes our modeling program is doing the same thing. So, fat chance on an updated version.

What do you mean?
    edited December 1969

I use Silo as my modeling program. The developers have went away from the core program and started doing apps for iPhone and iPad,

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I use Silo as my modeling program. The developers have went away from the core program and started doing apps for iPhone and iPad,

Ah right, didn't know they'd done that, but then again I don't know all that much about Silo.

It's coming to the point where things like tablets are going to be serious tools soon, The interfaces and the way things work are ideal for designers. The touch screen nature of things will bring a big wow factor to 3D, I think. The downside is that people aren't really going to want to leave their tablet alone for 12 hours to do a render. Maybe people will have multiple tablets soon.

edited December 1969

yeah, Barry, I tried making a cave using Truesculpt on my Android after the discussion in the gravity sucks thread.
    Will not be giving up Sculptris for that app anytime soon!!!

edited December 1969

Well I'm looking at some serious kit on this pc right now! Maya and ZBrush installed and up and running as happy as a pig in a poo puddle.

Now I just need the knowledge that goes with it. I am kind of trying to resist the urge to dance around the living room for fear of looking stupid, but I think I might have to. Even if I never use this software it gives me a great feeling knowing it's there. Like having a Lamborghini in the garage, just in case you feel like being a superstar one day!

Interestingly, he says if I master ZBrush he might have some work for me on a freelance basis too, but he's not envisaging me being professional enough for a good few months even if I use it a lot. But again it's nice to know there might be something to look forward to.

Ideas are, once again, flooding my little mind like Niagara Falls. I need to do two things. Write the ideas down, and get something done. I know where I'm going first, and I have at least a small clue about how to get it cracking.

Ladies and gentlemen, I think I'm back!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2012

YeeeHah

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

I am soooo jealous that you have Maya.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

And I join the Party with a Holy Smokes! Great news Barry!

Wanders off grumbling about software And PC envy..... So and so Barry. So and so Frank... mumble

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I am soooo jealous that you have Maya.

Honestly, I don't even know what it's capable of! I opened the program, looked at it and said aloud "Jeeeeeeeeeesus!"

It's not the kind of software one takes lightly is it? I don't think it's the kind of software I can come up with a render within 12 months!

On the other hand, I am going to seriously enjoy myself tomorrow. I don't have to drive anywhere, don't have to go out, I can just sit and play with software.

edited December 1969

There isn't anything you can't do with Maya. That's the software move companies use to do all their modeling and animation. I believe you can also do all your texturing in it as well.

edited July 2012

Frank0314 said:
    There isn't anything you can't do with Maya. That's the software move companies use to do all their modeling and animation. I believe you can also do all your texturing in it as well.

It looks powerful, but it doesn't seem easy to use. Not that it has to, I just thought it would be nice if great power came with great interface!

{edit} - Having had a quick play, it actually seems I was wrong, it's very intuitive and though "easy to use" is a bit of a cliché I have to back up and say that it is indeed easy to use. Just like a game of chess is easy to play!

Post edited by BlumBlumShub on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

advance king's pawn 2 spaces

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    advance king's pawn 2 spaces

See? Easy! But winning, that's different!
    edited December 1969

damn, I just spent 24 hours rendering a Carrara video with lipsync that did not work because the body motion NLA clip overrode the Mimic NLA clips. :roll:
    Barry, there are lots of Maya YouTube tutes! and a lot more books etc on it than our software.

edited December 1969

I've bought a few magazines over the last 12 months, all of them seem to have some kind of tutorials for some kind of software! Lots of ZBrush, I know, but I'm sure some Maya stuff as well.

But for some reason, and I have no idea why, but I never seem to think of YouTube! Need to drill it into my head that YouTube has more than stupid song remixes on it! Thanks for reminding me. :D

Sorry about your lip sync problems. Animation is something I'm not really into, I still would like to sell my work eventually, and it's easier to make 'products' out of still images.

edited December 1969

I am thinking that my workflow (I have one of those now!) is going to be rather complex if I want to use 'other' software for my rendering. For instance, I could model in Maya, detail in ZBrush, paint in either/both/neither, setup scenes in Vue and have some really top notch renders.

But how complicated is THAT?

Then again, how POWERFUL is that?

So, I am going to start with an idea for a building, based upon an elven design in WoW. Win or fail, I'm going to enjoy myself! And I'm going to use a WIP thread, so you're all invited!

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

This is exciting, BBS. I'll definitely follow your progress.

edited July 2012

I am thinking that my workflow (I have one of those now!) is going to be rather complex if I want to use 'other' software for my rendering. For instance, I could model in Maya, detail in ZBrush, paint in either/both/neither, setup scenes in Vue and have some really top notch renders.

So, I am going to start with an idea for a building, based upon an elven design in WoW. Win or fail, I'm going to enjoy myself! And I'm going to use a WIP thread, so you're all invited!

The beauty is you can do all of that it Maya. I'm not sure if there are any free tutorials on using it but I'm sure there is. I do know that there are plenty of pay for books and DVD's on it. Can I say again that I'm jealous. We are looking to buy 3DSMax but couldn't never afford to get Maya.

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

I wish I could play with Max and Maya, they are the rich kids, Dazza and Carrie are my mates!

my lipsync DID work afterall I found but too much fur!!
    did an unfurred version which shows mouth movements a tad better,
    was a multitrack virtual singer file so never that defined,
    uploading video now
    I still prefer mimic pro pz2 imports to Carrara mimic plugin but that does not work with Genesis.
    would have worked for the 3 cats though.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

The beauty is you can do all of that it Maya. I'm not sure if there are any free tutorials on using it but I'm sure there is. I do know that there are plenty of pay for books and DVD's on it. Can I say again that I'm jealous. We are looking to buy 3DSMax but couldn't never afford to get Maya.
    I don't know about doing it all in Maya, I mean I know I can do most of it but when it comes to the laying out of my creation I like Vue simply because I can plonk my building in some scenery very easily. I don't know if I can do that in Maya yet, I haven't tried. Obviously the version of Vue that I have doesn't include the Maya interactivity.

So far the exercise has kind of surprised me about two things. Firstly I'm surprised by what I already know, and secondly I am surprised at how much of what I know can be simplified. Having fought with the interface a bit, I think I'm winning, punch by punch. The basics are complicated. The complicated stuff isn't even being contemplated right now.

I have this almost overwhelming urge to cry and go back to Hexagon, but that won't get me the freelance work I'm after, so I'd better not!

edited December 1969

I know with me I'm useless with written instructions. I learn best by visually seeing what is going on. If it were me I'd get as many DVD training videos as possible. You can even find online classes for some of this stuff.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I know with me I'm useless with written instructions. I learn best by visually seeing what is going on. If it were me I'd get as many DVD training videos as possible. You can even find online classes for some of this stuff.

I actually prefer written word, because I don't have to pause it, and listen carefully. I'm hard of hearing and it does make a difference. I like to read my way through. There are a lot of good tutorials, and like Wendy says there's a lot on YouTube for the more hands on approach.
    edited July 2012

I can understand the hard of hearing. I lost 25% of my hearing while in the military. I was a jet engine mechanic. I'm dyslexic and ADD so reading can be a bit of a challenge from time to time. That is why I learn better by seeing and doing. I'd definitely start with the youtube stuff. At least watching you can get an idea of where things are.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm in the Barry boat, I learn best with text. I can follow vidieos but I need to see them a hundred times before I catch on.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I can understand the hard of hearing. I lost 25% of my hearing while in the military. I was a jet engine mechanic. I'm dyslexic and ADD so reading can be a bit of a challenge from time to time. That is why I learn better by seeing and doing. I'd definitely start with the youtube stuff. At least watching you can get an idea of where things are.

I find out where things are by "What does this do... *BOOM!*... Oh, that's what that does!"

My favourite tool in any application is undo! Usually, no matter how many times I blow things up, I can rebuild them with undo.

I like videos for some things, but like Jeff says it takes a few viewings before my head gets around what they're showing me.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

I find out where things are by "What does this do... *BOOM!*... Oh, that's what that does!"

My favourite tool in any application is undo! Usually, no matter how many times I blow things up, I can rebuild them with undo.

I like videos for some things, but like Jeff says it takes a few viewings before my head gets around what they're showing me.

I do that trying to learn DS. I've watched very few videos on it. I'm learning though thanks to the help of my testers.

edited December 1969

testeRs :red: not what I first read! ;-P

This discussion has been closed.