Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389

Jay – thanks for your comment on my surreal entry.

Dan- thanks for the info about the water mat.

Electro-Elvis – a very nice render

Another landscape using some elements from Horo and David’s http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-environments-inclement-weather

w18.jpg
    950 x 492 - 51K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,540
    edited December 2015

Electro-Elvis - this is a beautiful and peaceful looking scene. A PHT is a phased hyper texture. Very useful and easy to make. https://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/PhasedHT.pdf

Post edited by Horo on
  • @Mermaid, glad to see you are enjoying the inclement weather.  I've been out today in the rain.  It is not unpleasant.

@Electro-Elvis, the material on the statue is excellent, curvature effect evident on the folds of material and on the hair.  The walls of leaves is very effective, overall very good.

@Jay, nice bif of Sci-fi, I remember this scene from the film and you've done a good job of capturing the effect.

@Dave, aways good, you've done well with the mist in your scenes, giving a plausable sense of depth.  Reminds me a bit of Estevez's style.

@Dan, nice to see you experiemting with the HDRI (and getting good results).  HDRI can take a long while to get your head around, but that doesn't stop you using it.

So previously I was experimenting with lighting and talking about talking about AO.  Which I should have explained what I meant was Ambient Occlusion, which I gather is a sort of a "trick" used by render engines to create better ambient light effect than just "lighting up" the surface as Bryce does with it's ambient effect.  Here's what the Wikipedia says on the topic of AO https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_occlusion

Unfortunately Bryce does not have AO.  But it does have better lighting options.  But those options come at a price.  Sometimes the render times can be prohibitively long to use some effects that would give the best results.  I am still torn between IBL and TA.  In the end, I suppose the best approach to take is the one which suits the subject best.  In this little series of tests.

1.  Just Bryce sun boosted to 200 diffuse output.  No ambient in the material so the shadows are fully black where they fall.

2.  As above but with premium effect TA turned on including reflection correction and boost light.

3.  A white sky converted to a full white HDRI and used as the sole lightsource.  Notice that the material of the object is quite grey, no influence is seen from the orange ground as with the TA renders.  No sun.

4.  A white gel light (using a hyper texture to boost the output) and just TA.  No sun.

TA has issues with noise and render time.  And IBL has similar issues with shadow banding and render time.  Which in these days of GPU accelerated rendering can make the whole process seem a bit laborious, but if you have the patience Bryce can still produce outstanding results.

The model in this scene is another little thing made with Incendia Ex.

Sun_only.jpg
    600 x 600 - 108K
    Sun_and_TA.jpg
    600 x 600 - 170K
    ILB_only.jpg
    600 x 600 - 124K
    TA_gel1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 204K

David - interesting tests. None is the best, it depends on what the artist wants. I miss a 5th example: HDRI plus TA without boost light and without TA optimised HDRI lights.

• Horo said:

David - interesting tests. None is the best, it depends on what the artist wants. I miss a 5th example: HDRI plus TA without boost light and without TA optimised HDRI lights.

If I had left the RPP at 64 and the Quality at 256 (as they were in the previous examples) the render would have taken around seven hours.  As it was by lowering the RPP and Qualtiy to 32 this still took over an hour.  Given that the previous IBL and TA renders all took about two and a half minutes, then while it is nice to get more light into hard to reach places, the price is very high to have both these features working together like this.

ILB_and_TA.jpg
    600 x 600 - 181K
    edited December 2015

David - thanks for adding the 5th example. Render times can be strange at times. I rendered an example in 6 minutes where Iray chewed 32 minutes. And then, another one predicted 45 minutes at the same settings. It's not only IBL quality and rpp it appears, maybe the mesh makes also a big difference how fast or slow a render goes. As your example shows, running one or two passes to see how long it takes is a good idea. Then decide wether the result is worth the time spent by the renderer.

Mermaid - sorry for being late. Your rainy landscape looks very goog. Great work on the beach, a small detail that makes a big difference.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 2015

Using a bit what I have. The Menger sponge was made in Structure synth, the camera with the GWL is inside the sponge with the AlienRoom HDRI and shows 300° of the inside.

Inside Menger Sponge

InsideMengerSponge.jpg
    800 x 800 - 118K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791

Something that we want to do, but fear also...Bungeeeeeeeeee cheeky

Jay

BunGeeee.jpg
    1747 x 858 - 576K

Thanks David and Horo.

David- nice experiments.

Horo- wow awesome abstract.

Jay –I feel dizzy just looking at the image, great render.

A few more renders using elements from Horo and David’s http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-environments-inclement-weather

Two of them are my snowy ones from previous years to which I added the snow from this product.

w12.jpg
    800 x 800 - 120K
    w21.jpg
    600 x 600 - 73K
    w24.jpg
    960 x 720 - 108K
    edited December 2015

Cheers, Mermaid...and I see someone's getting into the Christmas mood - I like the last one best, and nearly missed seeing the two bears yes Hopefully, we'll get in some more 'snowy works' in the coming weeks to the big day.

Apologies, also to Horo (nice Menger sponge - never heard of such a sponge before) and David and Elvis for ommiting to reply on previous Minority Report work....thanks again enlightened

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 2015

Hello, all! Been awhile.  So much nice artwork posted. Sorry I don't have time to comment on them.  I finally decided to render something and share.  I call it "Lunch"  Evidently, the fawn never heard the saying, "Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Lunch.jpg
    1500 x 750 - 1M
    Post edited by Fencepost52 on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895

Fantastic renders again. Lovely 'menger sponge', scary jumping and poor fawn! Nothing to show myself; sorry.

Jay - great Bungee Jumping scene. I would look more scared if I did this.

Mermaid - thank you, renders in 60 seconds.

Art - great and very believable landscape. Dragon and sheep are nice.

Hansmar - thank you.

edited December 2015

I played around a bit with vegetation, all manually instanced. This is the morning variant.

Brookside-A (morning)

BrooksideA.jpg
    800 x 534 - 120K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895

@Horo: Very nice landscape under a threatening sky.

edited December 2015

Gorgeous, Horo...paradise, and a threatening sky too. Paradise Lost!

Jay

Art - I hope the deer escaped, beautiful render.

Horo- wow lovely render especially the sky, You mention "morning variant." do you have other versions too.

Still playing around with figures...'Blues for a Redhead'.

Jay

BluesForARedhead.jpg
    1200 x 692 - 960K

• S RayS Ray Posts: 399
    edited December 2015
    S Ray said:

morning_coffee

Due to an  injury occurred to me in 2009 I to take a break form 3D Graphics. This is one of the last ( and favorites from that era, ,,,    As of May 2014. I am back,. Even though most of my resources have been lost, I have been replenishing and pushing on.

morning_coffee.jpg
    1006 x 754 - 75K
    Post edited by S Ray on

Horo – I tried an abstract with the menger sponge and GWL but could not get anything like the results you got, did you use a Hyper-textured mat for the sponge.

Jay – an unusual render, you do have unique ideas using Bryce.

S Ray – welcome back, lovely render especially the rays.

Another render using a model by Model by Herminio Nieves (ShareCG) – Colony Sector, lit by one of Horo’s Hdri’s from www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-sunless-hdri-skies

colony1.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 118K
    edited December 2015

Hansmar - thank you.

Jay - thank you. Blues for a Redhead looks great. Did you use negative lights?

Mermaid - thank you, below is the second version. Colony is very nicely done, has an eastern touch to it.
    As for the Menger Sponge, white Diffuse and Diffusion 15, 100% Specularity boosted by a one-component phased hyper texture (Phase at 500), Specular Halo black, and full Reflection.

S Ray - beautiful peaceful and moody scene. Glad to see you back.

I considered to dump Brookside A above because it has the sun where the camera is but I did like how threatening the sky turned out, and Hansmar and Jay confirmed my impression. While that one rendered, I worked on the second one, the B-variant. Actually just adjusting a few plants, moved the sun and the HDRI and rendered with soft shadows. Neither result is really good, but also neither is completely bad.

Brookside B (evening)

BrooksideB.jpg
    800 x 534 - 111K
    Post edited by Horo on

Gorgeous light  and effects in that work, S Ray, partciularly the blind's shadows on the table.

Cheers, Mermaid...ideas flow in easily but getting them out afterwards is harder...heh hecool Colony work is super, the water is just perfect, too. Water can be hard to get right some times, as the scale of ripples/waves etc., can look either too large or too small in a scene as a whole, but you nailed it here, me thinks.

I like this one better, Horo...just look at the casted shadows on the water...a Bryce master at work. Btw, no negative lights etc., in redhead one...just normal ones.

Jay

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 2015

Still in fractal land with Incendia Ex.  Partly inspired by Horo's Menger Sponge above.  The landscapes with the vegitation are very nice also, lush and plausably detailed.

And Jay, "Something that we want to do, but fear also...Bungee" honestly no.  Don't want to do that.  Why would anyone want to subject themselves to that?  Horrible.  The hair on your model however is very interesting. Like some kind of cyber punk effect. 

@Art, good to see you are still with us.  Good render.

@S Ray, sorry to hear about your injury and loss of data.  At least with art though, you can always make more of it.  It is not like a finite resource.

@Mermaid, being a good example of the endless supply of artworks, good to see you are keeping busy with the tutorials and the resources, great work.

Now... to explain, Incendia Ex has this export capability that lets you take a fractal and feed it into another program where a bit of geometry can be applied to each node of the fractal.  This then can be exported.  But at this stage it is just one object.  So for example, I can't swap out the geometry at each node for say a Bryce primitve.  Doing so would swap all the geometries for one thing.  But there is a way around this.

The first thing to discover is that the geometry supplied by the geometry applying program is quite broken on export.  Fortunately Modo is very cever at fixing broken geometry and by processing it I can fix and then again, thanks to Modo's cleverness, break each of the fixed geometries into a seperate catagory within the object.  The practical upshot of this is that each node now has a distinct piece of geometry applied to it.  The final challenge was to find an export/inport format that didn't concatonate all the meshes into one thing.  In the end this proved to be .dxf

So I imported the mesh and swapped out the supplied mesh objects for Bryce primitives.  This being quite a memory efficient way to go about it.  And rendered something.  This.

Gem_split1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 682K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 2015

Cheers, David, and I like this Incendia Ex work - reminds me of the fly-through at the end of Spielberg's A.I. film (lighting works a treat, too, and while the large blue areas in the distance are menger sponge blocks, they look rather like sky in the background).

Jay

Horo – thanks for the comment and the info about the mat for the menger sponge, will play with it over the weekend. The second render is awesome love the clouds and the reflections on the water.

Jay – thanks

David – thanks, cool abstract. I tried Incendia Ex about a year or so ago, but didn’t like the program. Maybe I should give it another try, since it’s “very affordable”  laugh

edited December 2015

Jay - thank you, we agree. Yeah, the shadows looked very queer on the water and I had to render with soft shadows.

David - looks quite complicated and elaborate. I haven't got the hang of Incendia Ex yet.

Mermaid - thank you.

I played around a bit in Wings3D with my limited imagination and wondered what I could do with it. Well, I put a couple of Xfrog plants in it. The backdrop and most of the light is from the HDRI and a bit of sun to support the HDRI and give the shadow. Rendered with soft shadows and DOF.

Hugged Plants

HuggedPlants.jpg
    534 x 800 - 59K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited December 2015

Electro - Elvis - Beautiful and serene image of Buddha, the lighting and material look really nice. Would love to know how you did the leave wall

Mermaid - Lovely landscape, the shore line looks great  

Wonderful winter Christmas scenes, If Jay did not mentioned it, I would have missed the bears on the 3rd one.....

Also, good use of the model, It would make a good jigsaw puzzle image

David - Interesting test, it really shows the difference lighting can do to a project.....

The incendia abstract sounds laborious, but the end result looks quite impressive.

Horo - I do like your Menger sponge abstract. It looks very mechanical.

Both the vegetation images look beautiful. I like the sky of the first one and the lighting and reflection of the water in the second one.

And the xfrog/Wings/Bryce combo turned out quite well. The lighting makes the red of the flower so vibrant.... Very nice

Jay - Exactly how I would feel if I ever had the courage to Bunge Jump..... I can feel his terror. Blues for a Redhead looks great. I can almost pictured it as a CD cover.

Art - Good to see your renders again....The poor fawn did not make it. did it?

S Ray - Glad to hear you are able to continue doing excellent renders like this one....Love the mood.

With Christmas beeing so close I  have been having making this renders using Bryce primitives

north pole.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 192K
    simpsons christmas 3.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 132K
    Post edited by vivien on
This discussion has been closed.