Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433

Dave- the PrincePendant is lovely, and the DucksCry awesome. I like the font you used.

Thanks.... And here you go: http://www.dafont.com/fontdinerdotcom-sparkly.font

Another nice abstract Mermaid. smiley

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,541
    edited April 2016

David - all landscape renders in this series are excellent. Glad the sunless HDRI skies are of some use. Try to use a bit of soft sun shadows (15% - 25%) and render with 9 rpp. This will not take longer than regular. It is true that there is hardly any shadow softness visible in nature, nevertheless, a wee bit of softness (one or two pixels wide) will break the hard transition. Another benefit of a tad of shadow softness is that the geometry gets more obvious: hard transitions show that the other surface is behind.

Mermaid - very cool abstract. I'm baffled how you managed to make part of the HDRI repeat itself around the centre. Very cool effect, more so because it is irregular.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited April 2016

More dragons from me... And one of Horo's Sunless skies.

GreenAngryDragonALT.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 747K
    BrownDragonLayFront.jpg
    675 x 975 - 506K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,392

Dave- thanks for the comment and link for the font. Very nice dragon renders.

Horo – thanks, I just played with the transform tools and scaled the material a bit, 20% on all - the 3 distant lights and the sphere.

• STKyddSTKydd Posts: 59

Hello everyone very beautiful renders, Dragons look great Dave, I still use Bryce almost everyday, but rarley post anything, Playing around with volumetrics in this image, Just could not seem to get rid of the light banding, The image is lit by one spot light, and finished up in PSP with some of Ron's Brushes.

Dark Sea.jpg
    1514 x 845 - 302K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited April 2016

@David Brinnen: Great, great landscapes again. Wonderful to see the different atmospheres at the same place.

@mermaid010: Thanks. I thought the mountains looked like Iceland. I like your abstract with the reflected bookcases. Very nicely done.

@Dave Savage: Great dragon renders. I like the close-up very much!

@STKydd: Very wonderful and full of atmosphere.

I put my folly in a very different environment and gave it a new look. Then I rendered from two different positions. I like the one looking from among the trees best. Like to hear your views on this.

folly desert.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    folly desert2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

@Hansmar, I like the one from within the trees better as well.

Dave - excellent dragon renders.

STKydd - Dark Sea is a very dramatic image.

Hansmar - the oasis renders are very nice. I prefer the one from within the trees. Comparing with the "air view", it appears that the camera FOV was set quite narrow, like a tele-lens.

• vivienvivien Posts: 184

Horo - Thank you.. The crater terrain looks wonderful, the material is so realistic and the idea of the second terrain as the rim is a very good idea. Love the haze and the dramatic gorge of the Mississippi steamer. I like the result of the panorama render, although like others I got lost in the translation. I like the castle I wouldn't mind trying to model it in Bryce. It would give me something to do in the winter months.

Cyberjym - Your renders are so intricate. must take you a long time to get them done... Really nice work.

Mermaid -  Hansmar - Thanks for noticing the columns were not grounded . I missed it completely

David  - Durdle Door and Derbyshire Peak renders look absolutely magnificent. I like the different moods the colors bring.

Mermaid -  Horo's pencil sketch effect turned out quite well. I'm yet to play with it.

Dave - You must be the luckiest person having a job that involves playing with bryce.

Fantastic renders. Love the batman cloud, very clever. The clouds on the Pylon scene are superb, so realistic. Prince's tribute.... The dragon........ All of them are Brilliant!!!!

Mermaid  - Beautiful work with David's gel tutorial. I like the reflection it gives

Hansmar - Nice modelling. I downloaded hexagon but never used it. I like the folly between the trees more.

A3DLover. Nicely done.

STKydd - I definately like this one.... I'm glad you used Black and White

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136

Thank you for the kind remarks on my landscapes.  Having set up a scene it is relitively easy (or you could say lazy) for me to swap out the HDRI and make minor changes to the lighting to see what effect it has on the overall atmosphere.  And in that vein, I have given Horo's soft shadow suggestion a little go.  Though to offer a fair comparison with the previous version I rendered it at 64rpp.  The shadow softness for the sun was set at 20%.  I re-rendered my favourite version with this option.

Winnats_pass3_soft_shadows.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 652K

David - better in my opinion. The shadow in the foreground left looks more natural. In the distance and for shorter shadows, we don't see softness but it is usually a bit lower contrast due to haze. I agree, just changing the sky in a scene can make a profound difference.

edited April 2016

Unlike some of you, I do struggle with shadows, lighting and render options.... So If anyone has any comments how to improve this one...... You are most welcome.

cascade lake.jpg
    1754 x 881 - 137K
    Post edited by vivien on
    edited April 2016

There's nothing wrong with your render Vivien, all the detail is clear and the lighting/shading in consistent across the whole scene, so in that respect, it would depend on how you thought it could be improved.

I've been having a bit of a Dragonfest in Bryce this week, here are the results.

AngryDragonCLose.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 370K
    SleepyGreenDragonALT.jpg
    1500 x 750 - 675K
    PurpleFlyMoonGlow.jpg
    1200 x 1733 - 945K
    PurpleClose2.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 631K
    PurpWhispyFlame.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 756K

Love the one against the moon!

• S RayS Ray Posts: 399
    edited April 2016

Game on

Post edited by S Ray on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited April 2016
    vivien said:

Unlike some of you, I do struggle with shadows, lighting and render options.... So If anyone has any comments how to improve this one...... You are most welcome.

Given the number of unknowns it is difficult to know what to suggest first.  I'd be happy to attempt to relight the scene if you wanted to dropbox me the source.  Otherwise, I would begin by getting the point where you remove all potential light sources and things that act like light sources from the scene.  That would be turning off the sun, disabling haze, eliminating ambient and so forth.  Then introduce your key light source either as sunlight or HDRI or a combination of the two.  Then consider if you can afford to go via the indirect lighting route (TA) or try and compensate for the lack of that with fiddling with shadow intensity and haze settings.  As I began by saying, there are quite a few options and not all will be suitible for every situation, so it is more a matter of feeling your way through to the best option for your scene and the power of your PC.  Feel free to send me the scene and I see what I can do.

Horo, thanks, yes I agree, though I often shy away from soft shadows, not for reasons of speed, because sometimes it can upset the scale of the scene.

Post edited by David Brinnen on

Vivien - I like your scene. I don't think your scene is badly lit but since light is quite important for visual art, there is often room for improvement - whatever that is. Main thing is  the artist is happy. Once I have my scene cobbled together, I start with the sun position (in an outdoor scene) and its brightness. No sky dome (black) and although I have ambience full white, I only use it on objects that need to glow (like a lamp or fire). Shadow intensity is always 100% so I get a lit environment with pitch black shadows. To get a feel of distance, I add in haze. Then I look at the sky, either keep it or use an HDRI. Finally, I care about the black shadows. If I have an HDRI, I use it for the ambient light, or I load one without using it for the sky but only for the light (in such a case, a dome light can be used instead). Then come the fine adjustments that take up most of the time.

Dave - love your dragon renders. All look great, the first in the fire and the last in front of the moon appeal most to me.

David - yes, soft shadows can make a scene look small. One tends to use it too generously. For outdoors, I may go as low as 5% and never over 25%. I think it does make a difference if the hard transitions are just broken. Indoors and object renders are different. Sometimes, DOF is the better choice and makes the shadow transition blurred as well.

STKydd – lovely seascape

Hansmar – thanks, I also like the folly seen through the trees.

Vivien – thanks for your comments. Cascade lake is a beautiful render.

David – another awesome landscape

Dave- although dragons are not among my fav subjects, your renders are magnificent.

edited April 2016
    I would begin by getting the point where you remove all potential light sources and things that act like light sources from the scene.  That would be turning off the sun, disabling haze, eliminating ambient and so forth.

This!

Often when I'm struggling with getting the lighting right, I remove all light sources from my scene (do a render to make sure your scene is completely black) and simply start from scratch introducing a main light source and any fill lights or IBL/TA if it's needed.

This is harder than you sometimes realise as there are so many ways Bryce can fool your scene into thinking it's got light in it (Global and material ambient, sky dome colour, haze, IBL, TA and the many different types of lights available). Also, if your background is good but you think your foreground needs work, leave your lighting as it's set and create a dome of the correct size (big enough for the camera to be inside), make the material of the dome completely black, no transparency etc. and then use 'Ranged' light to light up your forground exactly how you want it. Then delete the dome and you have your good background and your good foreground.

Thanks for the comment about the dragons (the Moon is my own flat Moon that I made from a high res photo off the internet applied to a 2D disc and the flame material is David's Volumetric Fire material in the free Bryce 7 Pro content)... Still playing with them here and am working on a few more different texture colours, but this one of two dragons turned out quite well.

EntwinedDragons.jpg
    900 x 1300 - 790K

@vivien: I'm not sure why you think your render is not good enough. I can imagine you want more 'sun' on the buildings? I guess there are, as others have said, many ways to do whatever you want to change. I think sending the scene to David Brinnen is a great idea, cause he is a real master and always willing to indicate what he has done.

@Dave Savage: Great dragon renders!

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 500
    edited May 2016

Title: “Baby Bot”

Just a little bot created in Modo from a tutorial by Peter Stammbach (thanks to David B for pointing out his tuts).

Plants also created in Modo by messing around with the sketch extrude tool. All textured with Bryce procedurals.

Sunless Sky IBL by Horo and David Brinnen.

Thanks for looking!

baby_bot.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 202K
    Post edited by Dan Whiteside on

Dave - wow awesome love the vivid contrast.yes

Dan Whiteside - beautiful especially the reflection in the "sphere/face"

@Dan Whiteside: Great work, both on the modelling and the rendering!

Dave -Thanks Dave for your encouragement.  Thats my problem. My skills on lighting are quite basic and don't know how to improve them, I need to experiment more..... Love the dragons. I would say my favourites are the first one engulfed in fire and the second with the little puffs of smoke  and mushrooms

David - YES PLEASE...... Love to see what it would look like with all the different options you have mentioned..... Thank you.... I've sent you a personal message.

Horo - Thanks so much for your suggestions. I usually use your recipe of black sky dome and ambience white and shadow intensity at 100%, but then there is so many other components that I come stuck with.....Mind you I'm taking every other bits of information in and hopefully one day I'll feel comfortable enough to know what I'm doing

Mermaid - Thank you

Hansmar - Thank you...And I will send the render to David.

Dan -  Great modelling. The creature reminds me of Monsters Inc.

Dave - great dragon render, again.

Dan - I like this strange environment and the bot.

edited May 2016

I made some strange creatures in Hexagon and decided to combine the with a loose head I extrated before from a DAZ figure. I then needed to do something with it. Here, a fairy finds the resulting poor guy and considers how to break this spell.

I used several elements from Alan Armstrong, such as the rug and a table. The building is a chapel by Alphons Blom. I used several lights and played with them until I was more or less happy.

I call it: The spell.

spell1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 945K
    edited May 2016

Well, I'm giving up on this one and calling it done.  Basically it's the same as last time with some minor tweaks and bit of adjustment to the lighting.  I tried to add a sphere for haze, but unfortunately that conflicted badly with the lighting which hadn't been set up with that in mind, and I didn't want to try to redo all the lighting from scratch.  I also tried redoing the volumetric world with the previously mentioned tip of rendering with a document size extending off screen, and made it to 13% this time before Bryce mysteriously stopped running sometime in the last day and I decided I wanted to spend the next month doing something else instead.  So although I didn't get the effect I wanted, I did get a super-useful tip that may cut weeks or months off my future render times, which is awesome.  Thanks guys!  :-)

bad luck.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by sriesch on
    vivien said:

Given the number of unknowns it is difficult to know what to suggest first.  I'd be happy to attempt to relight the scene if you wanted to dropbox me the source.  Otherwise, I would begin by getting the point where you remove all potential light sources and things that act like light sources from the scene.  That would be turning off the sun, disabling haze, eliminating ambient and so forth.  Then introduce your key light source either as sunlight or HDRI or a combination of the two.  Then consider if you can afford to go via the indirect lighting route (TA) or try and compensate for the lack of that with fiddling with shadow intensity and haze settings.  As I began by saying, there are quite a few options and not all will be suitible for every situation, so it is more a matter of feeling your way through to the best option for your scene and the power of your PC.  Feel free to send me the scene and I see what I can do.

Horo, thanks, yes I agree, though I often shy away from soft shadows, not for reasons of speed, because sometimes it can upset the scale of the scene.

David - I've sent you a personal message with the attached scene.... Hope I've done it correctly and you can retrieve it...

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited May 2016

Destination: Planet Library

Credits:
    Space Construction Kit - David Brinnen, Horo
    Supertech material - tcw295 (a bit modified)
    Little Things - Nouschka
    Old Books - Richabri
    Paperback - English Bob
    Fantasy Book - Daz3d
    HLA Book - Cimerone
    Mage Tower Accessory Pack 3 - LaurieS
    WizBook - Transpond
    The Bazaar - Ravnheart
    The Office - maclean

planetLibrary.jpg
    1680 x 1085 - 254K
    Post edited by Kerya on
    edited May 2016

@sriesch: What a pity that it did not fuly work out. Still a great scene, though.

@Kerya: Highly original and very nice render.

Inspired by Dave Savage's recent renders, I did some dragons too. They seem to have found something in the chapel. Probably people praying to escape safely!

praying.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 708K
This discussion has been closed.