Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• @Hansmar, Horo, mermaid010: Thank you

@mermaid010: The castel itself comes as a OBJ file. But I'm afraid Bryce crashed during the import. Luckily I found another way. I opened it in DAZ3D Studio and used the "export to Bryce" function. It worked without any problem at all. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,541

The Castillo del Diablo has a profound memory impact due to the big image textures. I successfully sent it to Bryce from DS 4.9 and saved it. To load this scene, Bryce uses 1.25 GB.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,392

Horo -another awesome landscape. Thanks, I'll let you know if I will need the bigger version of the Panorama

Electro-Elvis and Horo, thanks for your comments, I'll let Castillo del Diablo sit in my downloads till I am ready to use Daz, which is like never.laugh

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    Horo said:

The Castillo del Diablo has a profound memory impact due to the big image textures. I successfully sent it to Bryce from DS 4.9 and saved it. To load this scene, Bryce uses 1.25 GB.

13mb if you just import the .obj files without any textures. As you say, it's the textures that are the problem, the mesh itself isn't really complex at all so using Bryce materials isn't an easy job as parts like the windows can't be made into Bryce glass.

edited April 2016

A still using David's Use Gel Tutorial

usegel3.jpg
    500 x 500 - 23K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited April 2016

Mermaid - that looks beautiful.

Dave - the windows can be made transparent - sort of. Just a test with the transparent windows and 7 radials with square falloff and diffuse 500.

Test

CastilloDelDiablo-2.jpg
    640 x 640 - 69K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited April 2016
    Horo said:

Mermaid - that looks beautiful.

Dave - the windows can be made transparent - sort of. Just a test with the transparent windows and 7 radials with square falloff and diffuse 500.

I think only when you use the materials though Horo... I only imported without those. I'm too used to having different mesh components to select and mat up, but with this mesh, I'd need to boolean some holes and place my own glass panes in. :)

Your's turned out very atmospheric.... nice.

Mermaid: That's a really cool effect, you made a fab job of it.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • cyberjymcyberjym Posts: 33
    edited April 2016

Installed big doors.

I also tried laying down 3500 fuzzy ovals as trees, to make it look like a sparse far forest, yet the results where mixed.

I kinda see whats going on now. big terrains are big, like the test one i have up is 33 million polys. I guess a strategy would be to make more efficient landscapes.

current model is at 118k

Untitlg666ged-10a.jpg
    3564 x 1313 - 6M
    Ungtyupotitledtest.jpg
    1754 x 995 - 1M
    Untitlg666ged-4i9.jpg
    1754 x 995 - 3M
    Undd567v6titled.jpg
    1754 x 995 - 747K
    Post edited by cyberjym on

Horo- thanks. The castle is awesome.

Dave- thanks

Cyberjym – it’s nice to see your progress.

edited April 2016

Dave - indeed, this model is less suited for Bryce.

cyberjym - great job. Terrains - do you import meshes or use terrains from the TE (Terrain Editor)?

Mermaid - thank you.

I used the same terrain as at the end of the previous page but not so high and with different materials. Bryce sky, a white sphere HDRI for ambient light and a rain cube.

Rain on the Moor

RainOnMoor.jpg
    1200 x 773 - 123K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited April 2016

Another pretend advert.... I've been hounding the makers of this product again this week so knocked this one together for fun.

Label done from scratch in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, then UV mapped onto the model of the pack I made in Wings3D, then imported into Bryce for set up and rendering.

Coins originally modelled in Wings 3D and pile of sherbet is just a Bryce terrain.

3Coins.jpg
    675 x 948 - 485K
    edited April 2016
    Hansmar said:

@Dave Savage: Nice work on the Bat render. And great clouds with you pylon. Looks suspiciously photorealistic.

That's a wonderful compliment thanks. smiley

But just in case anyone is suspicious, I've moved the camera back and reduced the quality of the clouds so you can see the layers.

Pylon.jpg
    650 x 650 - 39K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited April 2016
    Hansmar said:

@Dave Savage: Nice work on the Bat render. And great clouds with you pylon. Looks suspiciously photorealistic.

That's a wonderful compliment thanks. smiley

But just in case anyone is suspicious, I've moved the camera back and reduced the quality of the clouds so you can see the layers.

Nice surreal result now!

@mermaid010: nice work with the gel tutorial.

@Horo: thanks. The 'grey' reflections are actually a kind of 'foam' made from a terrain. Worked nicely in the earlier render, but not in this one. Beautiful landscapes you made!

@cyberjym: I understand you want to use what suits you best; quite logical. I like your experiment with the fuzzy 'trees', specifically from ground level.

@Dave Savage: Wonderful advertisement again.

Post edited by Hansmar on
  • cyberjymcyberjym Posts: 33
    edited April 2016

Horo - I use the TE.

Here I placed my Caeoachship to scale.

Untitgy7zs4tled.jpg
    1754 x 995 - 1M
    Untitlf77l00zed2.jpg
    1754 x 995 - 2M
    Post edited by cyberjym on
    edited April 2016

Horo- love the landscape, especially the atmosphere

Dave- your adverts, pretend or otherwise are awesome.

Hansmar – thanks

Cyberjym – I admire your dedication, really nice work

Another still using David’s Use Gel tutorial, using two different gel lights and the other is a landscape using the distant light and Horo’s Panorama posted on the previous page.

usegel5.jpg
    500 x 500 - 28K
    usegel-distantlight1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 69K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,105

@mermaid010

Is the gold face in the centre an accident or intentional? Or is it just me 'seeing' things again?  cool

edited April 2016

sad

PrincePendant.jpg
    975 x 975 - 669K
  • @Dave: Nice! Thanks!

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited April 2016

@cyberjym: Now we see what you want. Nice.

@mermaid010: The first one is really great!

@Dave Savage: Very nice render. No rain or tears?

I made a landscape. The 'building' is a folly that I made in Hexagon. It was inspired by a clay folly I made. Much easier to make a light and fragile folly in 3D than in real clay!

Folly1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Hansmar on
    edited April 2016
    Hansmar said:
    @Dave Savage: Very nice render. No rain or tears?

I've done several over the past few days.... This one went well.

DucksCry.jpg
    650 x 650 - 364K

Dave - great ad Three Coins; very nice Prince pendant, excellent Wings modeling. I like the duck.

Hansmar - thank you. Interesting model, looks a bit like propellers, a modern windmill. Whatever it is, looks great in this landscape.

cyberjym - the TE, good, less polygons.

Mermaid - thank you. Great result from your struggles with the gel tute by David.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited April 2016

Does anybody know if the render to file percentage complete is a perfectly linear countdown, or totally dependent on the current bit of the scene being rendered?

I decided to revisit my most recent Bryce project.  I tweaked a few things, changed the lighting around to try to get the figure lit a bit better, lowerered the ray trace depth in a desparate attempt to speed things up, and turned on volumetric world.  After a number of days all of the sudden I had severe Firefox problems with drawing the screen and repeated crashing of the application, then finally both Bryce and Firefox crashed at the exact same moment.  So I started the render again and I'm now letting Bryce play alone on the PC while I use another PC.  I can't remember when I started the render but think it has been about a week, and today it's at 5% complete.  So.... if I can get another 19 weeks in a row with no power outages or accidental whacks to the keyboard, then I can see if the image even looks any good with the modifications.   Aaarg.... I don't really want to wait until August to find out it may not even have worked, so I'm thinking of giving up on that idea, but if that August estimate could be way off, it would be nice to know before I give up.  Thoughts?

Post edited by sriesch on

My personal view is Volumetric World is a waste of time. I know that's not much help.
    Also what's not much help is saying "don't render to disc, it's unreliable", just do a regular render to screen and then save it in whatever format you need... That way you can see how your render is doing and use plop render to 'test' small parts that you think need looking at before you commit to your full render.

What may be helpful to some extent is recommending you use Dan's Fog material in a sphere surrounding your scene, it'll be much much much quicker... To set up the material and how best to use it, David has done a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-lDcqH78Is

I find it hard waiting more than a few hours for a render... I'd go nuts (or more nuts than I am already) if I had to wait days or even months. smiley

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

My personal view is Volumetric World is a waste of time. I know that's not much help.
    Also what's not much help is saying "don't render to disc, it's unreliable", just do a regular render to screen and then save it in whatever format you need... That way you can see how your render is doing and use plop render to 'test' small parts that you think need looking at before you commit to your full render.

What may be helpful to some extent is recommending you use Dan's Fog material in a sphere surrounding your scene, it'll be much much much quicker... To set up the material and how best to use it, David has done a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-lDcqH78Is

I find it hard waiting more than a few hours for a render... I'd go nuts (or more nuts than I am already) if I had to wait days or even months. smiley

Thanks for the input.  I'll think about whether to cancel the render overnight, then may give that material a try and see if that would be faster.

I did to a few test render spots, so I THINK my render will turn out ok, but can't be sure since they were only tiny fragments of the scene.  I chose to render to disk so that I could get a full screen render, rather than just the smaller render that fits in the Bryce window.

• A3DLoverA3DLover Posts: 198
    Pretty rare i use bryce anymore, just hex and carrara these day. Even more rare i save a render at all. Done with b7pro used hex for the arch to the right
    04 24 16.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 532K

sriesch - like Dave said, render to disk is unreliable. Tests I made some time ago showed that render to disk takes only one processor core, even if your computer has several and priority is set to high. And, by the way, network rendering does not honour the premium render settings. C-ram often has renders that take several days and he plop-renders. Plop rendering parts is a viable alternative. Perhaps this PDF https://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/Plop-Mask.pdf inspires and/or helps you. The file can be saved after each tile so if you have a power outage, you can resume from the last save and not everything is lost.

A3DLover - very nicely done.

edited April 2016
    sriesch said:
    I did to a few test render spots, so I THINK my render will turn out ok, but can't be sure since they were only tiny fragments of the scene.  I chose to render to disk so that I could get a full screen render, rather than just the smaller render that fits in the Bryce window.

Bryce will render to screen a picture that is maximum 4000px x 4000px. It renders way beyond what you can see in the Bryce window and you can pause a render and scroll around the picture to see the parts that are not in view (click anywhere on the rendering picture to pause the render and then press the space bar and click and hold the mouse button to drag the picture around). What is even more cool is that you can pause a render, quit Bryce and go on holiday for a few weeks, then when you come back to it, you can carry on the render from exactly where it left off... A downside to this is that you can't then save as .hdr but you still have all the other options (tif, jpg etc). smiley

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited April 2016

Seems I'm still being inspired by Horo's Sunless HDRI and some of the most pretty places in Yorkshire and Derbyshire.  I started off looking at Winnats Pass and ended up here.  Good to see that this thread has progressed with sime nice and interetings renders.  I'm hoping to get out for a cycle ride soon, so maybe I'll have something Lincolnshire inspired... but will have to travel a bit further than planned to get into any kind of gradients.  It's pretty flat here along the coast.  Anyway... some renders.

Winnats_pass1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 632K
    Winnats_pass2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 643K
    Winnats_pass3.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 653K
    Winnats_pass4.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 594K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    Fishtales said:

@mermaid010

Is the gold face in the centre an accident or intentional? Or is it just me 'seeing' things again?  cool

Accident, I thought it looked a bit like Dave's avatar, so that makes two of us "seeing things"

edited April 2016

Dave- the PrincePendant is lovely, and the DucksCry awesome. I like the font you used.

Hansmar – thanks, great render- a mix of render and painting effect. (the mountains look like they were painted)

Horo- thanks, the struggles were worth it and I found using a Gel is awesome for surreal and Abstracts.

A3DLover- very nice render, I think you should use Bryce more often.

David – another set of awesome, photorealistic renders.

An abstract using David’s Use Gel tut

abstractusinggellight.jpg
    600 x 600 - 75K
This discussion has been closed.