Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,934

Thanks a lot Horo and Mermaid, I yet have to learn where to alter the bump but sound like an interesting idea. I had a look mermaid, but you are right I would need an account for pinterest (loosing a bit track of all the accounts I made lately)

I love that sky in your scene Horo, the differnt colours the fog has is lovely.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,392

Horo - thanks for your feedback, very helpful, especially since I am using 2D a lot these days in my renders.

Linwelly - you welcome, I don't have too many accounts to worry about. I like using Pinterest -its fun

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895

@Linwelly: Very nice abstracts. I like the choice of colours.

@Horo: Fantastic landscape again and wonderful sky. I often find that the tiled terrain option takes too long (too much effort) for my lazy taste. But it can be very useful.

@Mermaid: Nice landscape. I did mention a free set of (not posable) birds a while back. You can try to google 'free 3D birds' and will find a set. You can then import the whole set into Bryce and select each bird in turn and put it in the objects in Bryce (in a new list called 'birds' for example). However, your eagle looks good enough. You only need a 3D bird if you want to be able to see it from different angles.

• Lots of very good renders!

The terrain is GorgesA with a negative boulder grouped with the terrain making the "cave". The waterfall is an added bit of scenery. The birds flew in from the south all by themselves.

(Bryce can be funny that way)

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited March 2016

I don't know if this is finished yet (I never do know)... But I need some sleep so I'm going to post it and see how I feel about it in the morning.

Edit: I deleted it.... I forgot, it's got a swear word on it... I'll do a forum friendly version tomorrow  blush

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • vivienvivien Posts: 184

I'm playing catch up today.So many nice renders since my last post...

Horo - Love the result of the blended HDRI backdrop with the sky. Thanks for the information. They really have a beautiful effect.

Mermaid - Nice car render. I like the lighting..... Beautiful colors and shine on your panorama render, so luxurious.

Electro-Elvis - Very nice shadows on your Genisis character. I also really like the aging man. And agree with Mermaid maybe Mrs Wayne should stop eating icecream

Jay - Your rally car render looks really good and the final action shot of it kissing the tree even better. Hope the driver is ok.

Rembrandt - Lovely sky colors and reflection in the water. and lovely coastal scene.

Foleypro - That is going to be a great looking tatoo

Dave - Glad to see a render with the rainbow sky, very nice inded.  Good start on the motion render. Stonehenge render very nice. I really like the mood the grey clouds produce. Just looove the painting egg render.

S Ray - Lovely egg image. Mine never looked that good.

C-Ram - Absolutely fantastic. So much detail and realism.

Linwelly - Nice abstracts. Particularly the first one.. It reminds me of a black hole

edited March 2016

Hansmar – thanks. I did download a set of birds a while ago, not sure if those are the ones you mean and have them in my library. Thanks for mentioning them.blush

Rembrandt – lovely render.

Vivien – thanks. It nice to see you around, hope to see some of your renders soon.

A re-render of the previous landscape after following Horo’s suggestions. Thanks Horosmileyyes

cloud2c.jpg
    900 x 601 - 76K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited March 2016

Cheers, Vivien...the driver landed on the co-driver who went flying first, so a soft landing....heh he wink

Waaaayy better, Mermaid - is that Amsterdam in the distance? cheeky

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,541

Linwelly - thank you.

Mermaid - way better, I'm glad I could help.

Hansmar - thank you. Yes, tiling manually can be a real bother to align the individual terrains because of the frame on two sides.

Rembrandt - good idea to boolean-out a passage. Waterfall looks great. The shadows are black, try to move up HDRI Effect a bit if you use an HDRI (like here), or use a dome light. If shadow casting is enabled for the HDRI or dome light, this will increase render time but it shows the geometry in the shadow beautifully. I usually disable the sun, adjust the HDRI Effect until it lights the scene like on a day overcast with dark clouds, than enable the sun.

Vivien - thank you and nice to see you around. Hope all is well for you.

@Rembrandt: Very good render. I don't believe that waterfall could exist there, but I guess the water comes from the mountains just out of sight to the right. Horo is right, a bit of light in the shadow regions would make it even better.

@mermaid010: Welcome. New render is indeed better. However, now the tulips draw the attention very much. My choice would be in between your two renders (as light on the tulips is concerned).

• Horo said:

Rembrandt - good idea to boolean-out a passage. Waterfall looks great. The shadows are black, try to move up HDRI Effect a bit if you use an HDRI (like here), or use a dome light. If shadow casting is enabled for the HDRI or dome light, this will increase render time but it shows the geometry in the shadow beautifully. I usually disable the sun, adjust the HDRI Effect until it lights the scene like on a day overcast with dark clouds, than enable the sun.

Great tip, @Horo

@Jamahoney Nah, @mermaid010 has 010 behind his name so it must be Rotterdam. wink

New and improved version.

edited March 2016

Let's try again without the swear word laugh... The render is exactly the same as the one I deleted yesterday, it's just the photoshop work that overlays it that has been edited.

BlueMoonCansored.jpg
    1387 x 2361 - 833K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited March 2016

Heh he, Rembrandt...I was thinking of the song 'Tulips from Amsterdam' (altogether now...La, La...Laaaa ) winkI had to look up the 010 reference, as I didn't understand its relationship to Rotterdam, but I take it's got something to do with the city code (Amsterdam, perhaps, being 020).

Your render second time around looks way better.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • @Jamahoney  yes Absolutely correct! 010 is the Rotterdam city code, 020 is Amsterdam.

@Dave Savage  Wow!! You made me spill my coffee with your Pirate bay reference.

• cyberjymcyberjym Posts: 33
    edited March 2016

Hey there folks, I'm Jim. Its been a while. I have some renders to share.

oaeorrdwatch plcement 201603305a.jpg
    1754 x 995 - 2M
    Caearrigon Coachship bridge.jpg
    1754 x 995 - 1M
    Caearrigon Coachship cabin1.jpg
    1754 x 995 - 1M
    Caearrigon Coachship caeonstruune.jpg
    3000 x 1701 - 2M
    Caearrigon Coachship cargo hold half.jpg
    1500 x 850 - 1M
    Caearrigon Coachship promo.jpg
    1200 x 826 - 1M
    guard laeaawclex and man12 crop half.jpg
    1252 x 830 - 1M
    khaeossteel 195 quarter.jpg
    1700 x 964 - 2M
    khaeossteel 190 quarter.jpg
    1500 x 851 - 2M
    graeaasper 2016032911p500 crop sm.jpg
    2398 x 998 - 2M
    oaeorrdwatch plcement 201603305a1 half.jpg
    2100 x 1191 - 2M
    Post edited by cyberjym on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited April 2016

Here's my latest Bryce work.  I actually wanted to turn on volumetric world to get some light beams on fog/haze, but it looked like it would have been rendering maybe a month past the deadline for the (now ended) contest it was for, so I did not.  Perhaps I can revisit it at some point, or find a way to make it render faster and try the volumentric world at athat point.

bad luck (reduced).jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 623K
    Post edited by sriesch on
    edited April 2016

Not the most interesting of subjects, but a good example of how I use Bryce commercially to produce renders as a part of my (paid) work.

With most of these products, I design the packaging and we need pictures of them for advertising and promotional materials before the product is actually produced.

So I end up modelling the various tubs, tins and bottles in Bryce, mapping on the artwork I have for the labels and rendering the finished scenes.

TankingKit.jpg
    650 x 650 - 253K
    OncePacks.jpg
    975 x 975 - 381K
    OncePacks.jpg
    975 x 975 - 381K
    502Box.jpg
    975 x 975 - 642K
    Evercryl.jpg
    650 x 650 - 291K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 872
    edited April 2016

A snapshot on a party (that why the lights a slightly colored). main storage usage about 2,4 GB. That is the reason why the party is not so crowded. With 2 Genesis2 characters you come rather close to the capacity limit of Bryce, even with LAA. The light comes from 4 sphere lights with 100% soft shadow. The scene is rendered with Premium effects and TA 64. Render time about 2,5 hours.

Party Snapshot

@Dave Savage: Really nice examples. The Wood Adhesive is my favourite.

@sriesch: Dan Whiteside's fog came to my mind. I am not quite sure, but could be an alternative to the volumetric world.

@Vivien @mermaid010: Believe me Mrs Wayne is just a bit chubby, but she has choosen the wrong clothes. To tell the truth, it is a DAZ3D problem. Althought DAZ3D studio is able to do a lot of things with clothes,  the software can not fold clothes in a rather natural way in certain situation. When a character is sitting on an chair more or less in banana shape, the software is rather driven to apply a bell shape for a shirt. I just wonder, what Poser does in such cases. I don't know Poser, I'm afraid.

@mermaid010: Lovely tulips. Well done.

@cyberjym: Welcome. Nice pictures.

party_snapshot.jpg
    800 x 800 - 533K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on

@Dave Savage: wonderful poster. And your commercials really look real.

@cyberjym: Hi Jim, nice to see a those renders. Looks like a real story in the making.

@sriesch: I guess it's a great scene. But on my screen it is rather dark and difficult to see.

@Electro-Elvis: Nice lady. Guess that's not her date! I understand that it is mostly the textures in DAZ figures that eat up Bryce's memory. There are tricks around that, but I can't remember which they are. Someone else is bound to provide some advice.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,934

@ Dave: Nice to see Bryce used in this context, it looks really convincing, you could get yourself some extra money by selling models of wood adhesive and the like (certainly need to be altered from the roiginal)

• The Rock

A simple but -to me anyway- strangely mesmerising render that took over 24 hours to complete.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    Hansmar said:
    @sriesch: I guess it's a great scene. But on my screen it is rather dark and difficult to see.

That's something I always struggle with, trying to create night or dimly lit scene in a way that can be seen while still suggesting it is dark out.  It actually started out even darker, and I lightened it up a lot but when I tried to do more than this it just started to look like daytime with no shadows.  I also tried to brighten up the utility lights, but they either washed out nearby objects or lit up the scene too much.  I need to work on lighting the edges of things better, or maybe repositioning the lights or something I think.  Maybe I'll have another go at this one when I get some time.

Thanks for the comments on the tulip render.

Rembrandt – your second render looks much better. The Rock is awesome, 24hours to render – did you use volumetric materials?

Dave – all your renders are awesome, especially the commercial ones.

Jim – nice, interesting selection of renders, thanks for sharing

Sriesch –wow love it.

Electro-elvis – nice render. Thanks for the info about Mrs Wayne's clothes.

edited April 2016

Cheers Elvis... The bloke in your render has a look of Prince Charles haha... Skin tones on the two people look very good and the blokes suit material is very convincing.

Thanks Hansmar/

Linwelly. I'm not organised enough... I already have one model (of a temple) I started working on a few years ago that I was going to make available that I still haven't got round to completing... I'm more a scatter brained, make it up as I go along type. laugh

Rembrandt: The result of your mammoth render looks great, but if you could let us know what your lighting set up was and your rendering settings I'm fairly sure we could get that render time down to less than an hour. smiley (unless your rock matrial is some sort of Volumetric).

Mermaid: Thanks, I posted the pack shot ones on my Facebook and they didn't get a single 'like' laugh

Just a bit of Sunday morning sillyness for me today (had to take a break from doing packshots)..:

Daleks.jpg
    900 x 1300 - 692K

sriesch: What you could try, to get a good night time scene is setting your key light to slightly blue and using the 'Range' in the light lab. Sometimes setting it to 'Infitine' and the 'Diffuse' down to only 1 (bearing in mind that when set like that the light will be very bright). That way the shadow parts stay quite dark but you get good highlights.

Hope this helps.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited April 2016

Sunday morning, a break from the usual work and a listen to the Archer omnibus, I return once again to a subject that I never seem to get satisfactory results from.  The place that inspires me is Malham Cove, I've never been there, but I found a picture of it on a calendar and thought, I'd really like to have taken that photo - maybe the atmosphere is replicatable in Bryce.  Maybe... I keep having a go.  The light is a major part of this problem.  So here's another go, uses a sky from Horo's sunless HDRI pack.  Very useful these skies are for natural light.  Using background lighting surface to supply "obscure" light from the HDRI.  Used and modified a terrain from the High Rez Terrains set 3 - C island.  Soft shadows, TA and anisotropic reflection via blurred reflection.  A terrain material from set 1.  Anisotropic water... hmn... am I happy with the results.  Only to begin with, it still doesn't have that sense of clarity and scale the real place has.  So... Will have to keep going.

Malham_cove1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 629K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • c-ramc-ram Posts: 376

C-Ram: Brilliant as always, seems you can turn your hand to anything and make it look great, but more than that, it still looks like something you have done which is a good thing because you have a pleasing 'style' to your scenes and renders.

Thank you Dave, that's a beautiful compliment you send me. You've also got your own style and it's very pleasing, I like it!

I would also like to thanks Mermaid for her great comment. You can find good freebies at archive3d.net, renderosity, turbosquid.com, sharecg... but I think you already know that.

• @Dave Savage: Thanks very much. Haha Prince Charles... He was the last I had in mind. (Though I like his cookies.)

@Rembrandt: Very good looking rocky terrain!

@sriesch: I think what might work, is to put a little more light on the man in the middle. If you create a fill light (or another light, probably not a spotlight though) and exclude everything, except this man, and use a low level of light, he would at least be more visible. The darkness in the back is not too bad for a night scene. However, in this night scene, I would not expect such bright green patches between the trees (I think that is why I did not understand it as a night scene, which is stupid of me, because the lights were a sure telltale sign blush). I gues the bright green comes from fog or something? 

@Dave Savage: I agree with you on Prince Charles! I thought I recognised him...  And the Doctor should be careful with these dangerous, deadly, devastating, develish Daleks! Great fun.

@David Brinnen: Don't know that place, but your render is wonderful!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Sunday morning, a break from the usual work and a listen to the Archer omnibus, I return once again to a subject that I never seem to get satisfactory results from.  The place that inspires me is Malham Cove, I've never been there, but I found a picture of it on a calendar and thought, I'd really like to have taken that photo - maybe the atmosphere is replicatable in Bryce.  Maybe... I keep having a go.  The light is a major part of this problem.  So here's another go, uses a sky from Horo's sunless HDRI pack.  Very useful these skies are for natural light.  Using background lighting surface to supply "obscure" light from the HDRI.  Used and modified a terrain from the High Rez Terrains set 3 - C island.  Soft shadows, TA and anisotropic reflection via blurred reflection.  A terrain material from set 1.  Anisotropic water... hmn... am I happy with the results.  Only to begin with, it still doesn't have that sense of clarity and scale the real place has.  So... Will have to keep going.

I agree with you it looks to be a fascinating place, and it was lovely to see images of the ancient waterfall brought back to live briefly by the storms at the end of last year

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2015/dec/07/storm-desmond-brings-malham-cove-waterfall-to-life-video

This discussion has been closed.