Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited March 2016

I'm not sure I agree with Jamahoney about the light and shadows.

Good point, Horo...I entirely agree ;) ...and loving Rembrandt's use of daytime stars (not a criticism).

Jay 

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,390

Rembrandt - beautiful render using Sketchup models.

• @Horo and @Jamahoney  I am not sure about that lighting myself. Could be a combination of reflection on the light(er) buildings or it could be an hdri effect.

Spring is coming!

• Rembrandt - beautiful render using Sketchup models.

I only recently discovered Sketchup -thanks to @Launok - and going a bit greedy on raking in those models.

Tons of inspiration though!

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited March 2016

@Rembrandt: Good city scene. The nature scene looks good, except for the bird, which is a bit wooden-looking.

I was inspired by other landscapes.

green sea.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    Post edited by Hansmar on

Rembrandt - nice spring render

Hansmar - cool render - I like the foreground terrain and the materials you used.

edited March 2016

@mermaid010: Thank you, There are actually four slightly modified versions of the same terrain (stacked), with a different texture at each of them to give this effect. I like this approach, because it gives many options.

A very different type of render, from a scene that was just waiting for a little texturing and lighting and rendering. The unfinished robot. Indoor scene with no sun, but an HDRI with light from inside and a number of sphere-lights and spotlights. Parts of the robot that I used in other renders in the past.

unfinished robot.jpg
    875 x 875 - 621K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • LianaLiana Posts: 1,035

Great renders everyone as usual. I hope to keep up and get back to working on Bryce. :)

edited March 2016

Hansmar – awesome interior render the lighting is great.

Another car render using David’s Colored Light rings tutorial, a pdf I downloaded from Horo’s site. The car is a freebie.

antiquecar.jpg
    960 x 720 - 41K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • vivienvivien Posts: 184

Dave -  Very nice render of the Jack bottle. Although our bottles at home never looked that full.

c-ram - Thank you. I have changed the bump on the rock wall and it certainly makes a difference.

Tim - Your landscapes look beautiful. Great sky.  Fantastic looking ring. And I see you can draw as well. and make jewellery. Beautiful work

Horo - Love the depth of the staked terrain. And the fire on the bowl looks fantastic very realisctic

Orbital - That looks perfect for a sci-fy movie poster

Hansmar - I was tempted to have a go at David's spooky tree render recently. Maybe one day... I like your interpretation though. And good job on the landscape and the robot factory.

Mermaid - Thanks

David - As usual. Great landscape, particularly the cloud formation of the second render

Jay - Very nice underwater scene. So that's what mermaid looks like

Vangogh -  Great start.... Look forward to the next ones.

Rembrandt - I really like city image. I leave the lighting comments to the experts.... As for the spring scene I think is very nice, the only thing I would make the bird smaller.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911

Hansmar – awesome interior render the lighting is great.

Another car render using David’s Colored Light rings tutorial, a pdf I downloaded from Horo’s site. The car is a freebie.

I think we should apply the "smoothing" of the object editor. :-)

edited March 2016

Rembrandt...I like your Wren (the jagged shadows may possible be due to needing it being smoothed using the 'E' option - a very useful tool).

Hansmar, very exotic-looking island, and your robot reminds me of that wonderful film, I-Robot (Will Smith etc.,).

Mermaid...I think they used call those cars 'letter cars' (e.g. Model A's to Model T's...etc.,)?

Heh he, Vivien...I personally based it around [her] avatar cheeky (honestly, Mermaid, we're not talking behind your back angel).

Jay

• launoklaunok Posts: 793

Rembrandt said:

Just a simple and fast render, this time. A few converted .skp into .obj files from Sketchup bunched together. I was a bit surprised by the reflection in the windows of the main building but I am not happy with the visibly flat surface of the lower building in front.

EDIT: Unfortunately, linking a picture from the gallery doesn't work. So it is back to parking my renders on my provider's server.

EDIT2: Once again I stand corrected, linking a picture from the gallery is quite possible. see the instructions from Chohole, 2 posts below this one.

This is really good to think you have used Sketchup models.  I assume the airship is also from Sketchup warehouse?

Laura

Rembrandt said:

Spring is coming!

Lovely render, quite realistic effects!

Lovely vintage car!  Is this freebie still available as I am interested in vintage scenes.

Laura

Hansmar said:

I was inspired by other landscapes.

Beautiful scene!  This mountains are great, how did you do that?  I mostly use Bryce's mountains but not with satisfactory effects.  I have downloaded some tool quite a while back here at Bryce forums, to use any real mountains in the world but haven't played with it.

edited March 2016

Slepalex - Thanks for the suggestion.

Jay and Vivien – I did not realise that Jay’s render was named Mermaid; the avatar is a gift from Sean Riesch. Thanks for the thought blush

Laura – Thanks. Sorry I don’t know where I got the model from; I found it in an old .obp file. (spring cleaning files and folders)wink Normally I visit Archive 3D, ShareCG or Sketchup.  It’s only in the last year or so that I started making notes where I got the models from and who the modeler is if he is named. Sketchup has awesome models.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,541
    edited March 2016

Rembrandt - Lovely scene with the bird. I agree with Hansmar about the bird. It's difficult to get it right, perhaps sme bump helps.

Hansmar - terrain looks good. The indoor scene with the disassembled (or not yet assembled) robot looks great - good lighting, too.

Mermaid - very nice car render.

Vivien - thank you.

Slepalex - you may not know this Easter Egg for smoothing, which can take quite long. Hold down the [Alt]-key, then click on the Smooth thumbnail. The polygon count is not displayed anymore but "Preparing polygon data..." appears instead. Smoothing is six times faster this way. This hidden option was introduced into Bryce 7 in 2010.

I looked deeper into the options to blend the HDRI backdrop with the sky. There is more than meets the eye. Here are my findings: https://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/IBLwithSky.pdf (pure text file for translation https://horo.ch/docs/mine/txt/IBLwithSky.txt). Below a terrain in default grey and a bit specularity. The sky is mixed with the ErmClouds02_SD from the Sunless HDRI set.

Bare Rock

While at it, I also looked more closely at HDRI and TA and found - to my surprise - that the option "Ignore tone mapping" works and is quite useful. Here are my findings https://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/IBLwithTA.pdf (pure text file for translation https://horo.ch/docs/mine/txt/IBLwithTA.txt). Below the Nabla made in Structure Synth, fully white. Rendered with TA and Boost Light, the HDRI used AlienRoom_2k (from the 3 Hi-Res HDRI set).

Planks

BareRock.jpg
    1200 x 998 - 150K
    Planks.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 78K
    Post edited by Horo on
    Horo said:

Slepalex - you may not know this Easter Egg for smoothing, which can take quite long. Hold down the [Alt]-key, then click on the Smooth thumbnail. The polygon count is not displayed anymore but "Preparing polygon data..." appears instead. Smoothing is six times faster this way. This hidden option was introduced into Bryce 7 in 2010.

Thank you, Horo. I did not know about this feature. However, I rarely use high polygon model 3ds format.

I looked deeper into the options to blend the HDRI backdrop with the sky. There is more than meets the eye. Here are my findings: https://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/IBLwithSky.pdf (pure text file for translation https://horo.ch/docs/mine/txt/IBLwithSky.txt). Below a terrain in default grey and a bit specularity. The sky is mixed with the ErmClouds02_SD from the Sunless HDRI set.

While at it, I also looked more closely at HDRI and TA and found - to my surprise - that the option "Ignore tone mapping" works and is quite useful. Here are my findings https://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/IBLwithTA.pdf (pure text file for translation https://horo.ch/docs/mine/txt/IBLwithTA.txt). Below the Nabla made in Structure Synth, fully white. Rendered with TA and Boost Light, the HDRI used AlienRoom_2k (from the 3 Hi-Res HDRI set).

Unfortunately, I can not download files from your website. I do not know why, but Google Chrome writes:

Your connection is not protected.

Attackers might be trying to steal your information with horo.ch site

Try using http instead of https.

Horo said:

Try using http instead of https.

Thank you, I did it!

edited March 2016

Horo- thanks, both your renders are awesome, thanks for the pdfs.

Re-rendered the vintage car after smoothing the car and added a bit of soft shadows. Thanks Slepalex for the suggestion actually reminder. Other Members have reminded me on various occasions to smooth out objects. One day I’ll get it right.blush

antiquecar.jpg
    960 x 720 - 40K

Horo- thanks, both your renders are awesome, thanks for the pdfs.

Re-rendered the vintage car after smoothing the car and added a bit of soft shadows. Thanks Slepalex for the suggestion actually reminder. Other Members have reminded me on various occasions to smooth out objects. One day I’ll get it right.blush

It's quite another thing! smiley

@mermaid010: Thanks. Nice car model and greatly rendered. Actually, although it is incorrect, I did like the non-smooth version. Somehow makes it look older. But the new version does look very good too.

@vivien: Thanks. And you really should try the 'spooky'. And just vary some elements to make it your own. I often try to slightly deviate from the original ideas to see if I can come up with something interesting.

@launok: I always go into the Deep Terrain editor and edit any presets. Often I start from scratch: choose 'new', then choose a type of fractal and click until there is something you like. I then use some noise by clicking a few times on height noise, slope noise and general noise. I then often copy the terrain and use a higher resolution and a little more noise (this is the stacked terrain technique). Then a new copy, higher resolution again (or not) and more noise. Then modifying height and or size in x and z to have them overlapping, but showing parts of each of the terrains. Give each terrain (copy of the first) their own texture and plop render many parts until you are satisfied. Then play with sky (edit the settings), add another (fill) light, etc. etc. Lots of trial and error, to be short. I do sometimes start with a real terrain (height map) downloaded from http://terrain.party/. The resolution is not very high, but it can be useful if not seen from too close. Also, all tricks, such as adding noise, stacking copies, etc. are possible if you start from a 'terrain party' height map. Hope this helps!

@Horo: Thanks very much. Nice to hear that even an expert like you likes my lighting. Your terrain and sky are great, very dramatic! And very good of you to share your experiments. What would we do without the likes of you and your pal David?

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 872
    edited March 2016

I have read Horo's findings about IBL with TA and tried it out in the close-up below and attached. IBL with a the sky as HDRI, Quality 64, TA with 64 rpp True Ambience activated. I like the lighting, especially the shadow areas look with IBL and TA IMHO really well. Render time about 4 hours. The lady is a modified Genesis 2 character.

Rael Close-up

rael_closeup.jpg
    800 x 600 - 272K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on

Thanks Slepalex and Hansmar smiley

Electro-Elvis - interesting render.

edited March 2016

Yes, very nice lighting effects on the face, Elvis...we don't get enough figure works here, so very welcome.

Below, an attempt at racing (thanks, of course, goes to the car model created by someone called ALECaffi from the Archive 3D website - link, if interested). The blurry/movement effect at the rear of the car was produced by copying/pasting the tail end of the car, moving it back slightly, and then setting transparency options etc. Title: Got Air

Jay

GotAir.jpg
    1500 x 743 - 908K

@Jamahoney: I like our experiment. However, if the car is speeding by, but most of it is not blurred, the background would probably be blurred (instead of the back of the car). Usually, I think, either the whole car is blurred, or the close background. Of course, if the shutter speed is low enough, there would not be a lot of blurring.

Slepalex - so that did the trick. Certificates sometimes are not recognised.

Mermaid - looks better smoothed.

Hansmar - thank you.

Electro-Elvis - the lady came out excellent. Who needs Studio and Iray?

Jamahoney - nice jumping car. I wonder how it looks 100 yards farther down, kissing a tree. cheeky

This discussion has been closed.