Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035
    edited February 2016

@rembrandt. neat render. The waves look a bit like snow. hehe Is there a way to make the edges of waves be white only? Maybe someone way more brainy with Bryce than me has some suggestions. Would be neat to learn if possible. I like the idea though and how you tried to achieve it. Your ingenuity reminds me when I texture meshes and have to come up with ideas on how to achieve the results I want in Gimp. hehe

@david..Your renders inspire me to keep learning Bryce. I don't know how many Bryce videos I have watch at least once through now. lol

@Vladimir..neat render/ art work. It looks like you did a lot of work to achieve the end result.

@Electro-Elvis ..I have played with IBL a little. I am not sure if I did on this version of it. I seen a video by david about adding a light source in the front of his moongate, so I have been experimenting there some too. :)

Post edited by Liana on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,540
    edited February 2016

Rembrandt - well done beach scene. It looks like noon, judging from the shadows.

David - that's a beautiful X-island render. The dark green near the water surface looks great. Still water doesn't need foam.

Vladimir Desancic - welcome to the forum. Very nice work, indeed. A lot of post went into it, I reckon.

I finally managed to finish that old render before the deadline. It uses obscure light (HDRI inside, TA, soft shadows) and the network render finished in less than 19 hours (3210 x 2140 pixels). The result is disappointing, TA is not honoured by the network render engine.

The render on one machine turned out right - after over 63 hours (saved 20 times), though I had to half the rpp to meet the deadline. With the luck I had, it kept the computer busy and me bored for 6 days.

Network

Correct

CASn.jpg
    800 x 534 - 127K
    CASr.jpg
    800 x 534 - 149K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859

@Horo, i love the leaves on the second render! ....looks amazing, great work :)

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited February 2016

Another quick landscape rattled off while I had my dinner.  This one uses another one of Horo's Sunless Skies HDRI's "ErmClouds05_2560.hdr", Highland_2048 from the first set of High Resolution Terrains.  The cliff material and one of the water materials from High Resolition Terrains set 4.  Some recipe clouds from my youtube, excluded from the hdri lighting - but not the Bryce sun.

@Horo, well here's a bit of rougher water and foam effect for you.  Sorry to hear that the network render engine is not compatible with TA and that it cost you so many hours to do your researches.  The six core i7 is quite nice for rendering, the 8 core would be better still I imagine, but my pockets are not that deep!

Thank you for your kind remarks. Hansmar and Liana,

And hello newcommer Vladimir to the forum, an intrieguing image you have shown us, it would be very interesting for you to tell us more about it and how you use Bryce in your artworking.

Sunless_feb21.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 560K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895

@Vladimir Desancic: Wonderful work. Very dreamlike image, partly because of the great use of depth of view.

@Horo: The second one (the one on one machine, I suppose) is looking very nice indeed, due to the light in the leaves. Sky and depth in the landscape are wonderful.

@David Brinnen: You're welcome, of course. Needless to say that I like your new one very much as well. Great sky and clouds as well as great landscape itself.

I love those renders Horo and David. :)

You're welcome David. I hope one day to be as good as you guys here. :)

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    @Electro-elvis : thank you, your caracter is very good looking. @Horo : glad to see that your renders are finally finished. I remember them and there are very nice. @David : wonderful landscapes with lot of depth! @Vladimir : Impressive Bryce render with lots of postwork, I'm stom like David, I think it will be good if you could tell us the way you work with the software
  • @ Liana  Ah, yes there is a way to make the edges of the waves whiter. I actually toned them down a bit because they became too white (for my taste anyway)

@ Horo  Indeed, sir, noon it is.smiley  That second render looks absolutely stunning! What a nice render.

This is a small corner of Lu-Tze's garden.

For those of you who are -like me- a fan of the Discworld books of sir Terry Pratchett, this render is a small tribute.

"Bonsai mountains are to mountains what Roundworld bonsais are to trees: by means of careful placing of mirrors and control of wind, one can develop a miniature mountain. The very best can achieve glaciers, or even volcanism. As it is a very long process, this art form is usually performed by people with a lot of time on their hands, such as History Monks or anthropomorphic personifications. According to Lu-Tze, the trick is mainly in carefully selecting the rock on which you will work: the one that would, in a few millennia, have been at the top of the mountain."

That is from the Discworld wiki.

edited February 2016

@Rembrandt, nice way to get a miniture mountian in a scene, the moss/creeper effect along the edges of the wall is a good detail as is adding a terrain for the wall itself.  The table material I think might be letting you down in that I suspect it has some ambient within it which is creating a contradition between the shadow which falls on the ground under the table and the lighter shadow that falls across the leg of the table, which means it looks like the table is slightly glowing by itself.  An easy test is to set global ambient colour to something dramatic like red and see what changes colour in your scene.  Or if you have no need of ambient, set the global ambient to fully black.  Or if you do need it for an effect (clouds or fire for example) then check through the materials that don't want to glow and set their ambient value to 0.  If then the shadows look too dark.  The best solution is to throw in additional lighting, or if you are careful you can set global shadow intensity to less than 100, but this can push up render times as this creates more light paths and does not add to the realism as would adding more lights.

Attached image show easy to find locations of, global ambient, skydome (which can also dilute lighting in a scene) and shadow intensity.  To be certain of no light polution in materials or from light sources, setting the two colour swatches to black and the intensity to 100 offers a starting point for setting up your own lighting without unexpected interference from elsewhere.

Image1.jpg
    719 x 608 - 149K

Tim - thank you.

David - nice with the rough water. What I particularly liked on the previous one with the calm water was the "wet" coast.

Hansmar - thank you.

Liana - thank you.

Rembrandt - thank you. Yup, Discworld is known to me (read more than 30 books); nice Lu-Tze garden. Listen to David, he's right about skydome, ambient and 100% shadows.

C-ram - thank you, thank you also for the plop render tip.

I've been experimenting with plop rendering using a "tile-mask" in front of the camera. This could even be used to distribute a render project via email. I compiled my findings in this 6 page PDF: https://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/Plop-Mask.pdf including a link to ready to use masks.

edited February 2016

Another day, another sunless sky from Horo's HDRI set of that name.  Here the GorgeA terrain from High resoltion terrains set 1 and the river texture.  A few clouds thown in for good measure.  And the water from High resolution terrain set 4.  It rendered in the time it took me to read Horo's new Gamma PDF https://horo.ch/docs/gen3d/pdf/Gamma.pdf which I found a moderately challenging read but also I hope enlightening.  Thank you Horo.

Sunless_feb23.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 526K

Wow David wonderful...Scampers off to watch more videos and read. :)

edited February 2016

@David Brinnen: Another day, another wonderful landscape!

I made one that is a bit more simple. Just a piece of world, taken from Terrain Party from somewhere in Pakistan. I made three terrains with this image and gave them different material and different resolution. Decided not to bother with clouds. I call it 'bold mountains'

bold mountains.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited February 2016

Thanks Horo, Rembrandt, Electro-Elvis, Hansmar

Electro-Elvis – the render is nicely done.

Rembrandt – the volcano render is great, the beach one awesome, I especially like the curved/arched rock. I had to look up the link on Discworld, thanks for the links, really nice render.

Tim – another awesome render

David – all your renders are magnificent, seems like you are also having fun with the Sunless Skies Hdri packs

Vladimir – wow looks more like a painting

Horo- love your render especially the 2nd one CASr

Hansmar – interesting render, I think you are someone else mentioned Terrain Party before, seems like a nice site, but how does one use it as heighmaps.

Inspired by an earlier image by Horo (page 61), a simple landscape using a terrain manipulated in the www.daz3d.com/bryce-terrain-editor-advanced-filters

And Sunset2A which he used from the Hdri4Fun www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-hdri-for-fun

And an idea from CTippetts, - the birds – an image from which I removed the background in Photoshop and used it on a 2D Face.

sunset2a.jpg
    800 x 480 - 266K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited February 2016

Cool renders mermaid and Hansmar, I have not done anything in Bryce for a bit. I was working on learning lighting in Daz. I think I will work in Bryce for a while now on an idea I had. :)

Post edited by Liana on

@mermaid010: Thanks. You download an area from terrain party and use the 'merged' file in the terrain editor, by entering 'New' and then 'picture' and then choose the 'merged' file from terrain party. Then you can modify the terrain as normal, e.g. by adding height or slope noise, lowering, smoothing, etc.

I find your render is a bit on the dark side. You might want to put a bit more light on the terrain, e.g. by adding a distant fill light or by using the sky as an IBL and True ambiance settings.

@Liana: Many thanks. Look forward to your render!

great new renders :) ...i love the landscapes and @mermaid, the birds look awesome :)

Liana – thanks, looking forward to your renders

Hansmar- thanks for your suggestion about the lighting and explanation on how to use the Terrain Party

Tim- thanks

i thought i would share this :)

Bonsai.jpg
    1514 x 845 - 831K
  • c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    @horo : I've just read your tutorial about the mask tilling plop rendering and it's very, very interesting. Right now I'm experimenting your research and I'm must admit that it's really usefull. Thanks for sharing this with us.
    edited February 2016

David - nice clouds, nice scene, too. Sorry that you found the Gamma PDF a bit challenging. It was, in fact, addressed to another audience since I know that you know how to use gamma from a practical/artistic point of view.

Hansmar - great landscape. The problem with terrains from Terrain Party is that they are rather low resolution and only look really good when seen from a distance.

Mermaid - thank you. Very nice scene, the sky and birds (seagulls?) are beautiful. I think the water could do with a bit more specularity.

Tim - beautiful setup and composition. With the tree backlit, I would expect some light through the leaves.

c-ram - thank you for reporting back. I had to experiment with your idea to break up huge renders by plop rendering it.

I finally found the time to continue and finish my experiments I started more than a fortnight ago. For landscape renders, the HDRI as backdrop needs to be tone-mapped but the contrast is often a bit low. Putting the tone-mapped panorama on a partly transparent sphere and mix it with the high contrast HDRI backdrop can compensate that. Also, using a specular map as HDRI shining partly through the panorama on a sphere creates some sort of an Orton effect. There are several possibilities and applications for panoramic backdrops. I compiled a tutorial PDF on the subject https://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/PanoBackdrop.pdf and below are 4 examples.

1: Enhancing contrast of a tone-mapped backdrop.

Adit
    2: Making a fairy backdrop with the Orton effect.

Fairy Forest
    3: Making the environment look humid with an exaggerated Orton effect (includes a selfie).

Jungle
    4: Offsetting the camera so the backgrounds are not congruent anymore.

Warped Space

No post processing, pure Bryce. Longest render time for 1600 px wide was 20 minutes (because of the water), the shortest 77 seconds.

Adit.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 341K
    FairyForest.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 248K
    Jungle.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 275K
    WarpedSpace.jpg
    1200 x 720 - 122K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited February 2016

@mermaid010: You're welcome!

@Horo: Thanks. You are right about the resolution of Terrain party height maps. That is why I use them as a basis and use quite some additional work, such as several noises to increase the level of detail. 

@Tim82: Great play of light in your render!

By the way, I like your renders! You're self-portrait must be made when you were still a little younger. And it looked like I saw my brother! ;)

I made another landscape. In this case a coastline where I tried to get the effect of foaming water around the edges of the rocks. I used the same terrain as the landscape, but modified (higher resolution, a bit of additional noise) and slightly moved it. I think it looks nice. What do you think?

foaming waves.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Hansmar on

thanks for the nice comments :)

@Hansmar, thats a nice looking render :)

@Horo, your results look great, definitely worth the wait :)

edited February 2016

Tim – another awesome render 

Horo- thanks for the comment. Your experiments with the Orton Effect are interesting and very timely. Earlier in the day I was doing a Photoshop tutorial on this Effect. Thanks for the pdf.smiley

Hansmar – the foamy water is awesome, is that a preset or one of your own materials.

I re-rendered the previous one using a Radial light and changing the water material to an anisotropic one following David’s tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQkK6N-eG3Y

sunset2a3.jpg
    800 x 480 - 45K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Horo said:
    ...3: Making the environment look humid with an exaggerated Orton effect (includes a selfie).

Jungle

Thank you! For the tutorial - and a big thank you for the laugh!

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,934
    edited February 2016

Ok, my very first steps into a new universe called Bryce. I guess my brain might melt on the way...

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/54/8ee0c924106400624bcaab1f25c9bb.jpg

Bryce1.jpg
    1754 x 867 - 146K
    Post edited by Linwelly on

@Tim82: Thank you.

@mermaid010: Thanks. The texture of the foam is a slightly modified texture for foaming water by David Brinnen. The original was a bit too white in this render. Therefore, I lowered the diffuse a little and I think I also made one of the colours a bit more dark.

Youre render looks very good. The effect in the water is very nice. And the birds look magical.

@Linwelly: Very welcome to the forum. There is so much to explore in Bryce, that I think your brain will grow considerably. You might want to buy a bigger head :).

Nice first render. Kind of a gloomy atmosphere. Some people here can reach incredible results with Bryce. And if you want to know something, just ask. We are always happy to help out. One advice: find some tutorials by David Brinnen and try to follow those. You will learn a lot!

Hansmar said:

@Tim82: Thank you.

@mermaid010: Thanks. The texture of the foam is a slightly modified texture for foaming water by David Brinnen. The original was a bit too white in this render. Therefore, I lowered the diffuse a little and I think I also made one of the colours a bit more dark.

Youre render looks very good. The effect in the water is very nice. And the birds look magical.

@Linwelly: Very welcome to the forum. There is so much to explore in Bryce, that I think your brain will grow considerably. You might want to buy a bigger head :).

Nice first render. Kind of a gloomy atmosphere. Some people here can reach incredible results with Bryce. And if you want to know something, just ask. We are always happy to help out. One advice: find some tutorials by David Brinnen and try to follow those. You will learn a lot!

Thanks a lot Hansmar, I have seen, that there is quite some material to learn from, will take some time to walk through that. Thanks for the welcome.

Linwelly- Welcome to the forum. A nice 1st Bryce render. Here is a link which you will find useful. http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials.html smiley

Hansmar – thanks for the nice comment and info about the foamy material.

Linwelly- Welcome to the forum. A nice 1st Bryce render. Here is a link which you will find useful. http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials.html smiley

Hansmar – thanks for the nice comment and info about the foamy material.

Thanks a lot mermaid010, I guess i should take a ten day holiday and start working on that tutorial collection, I probably wouln'd even be finished at the end.

This discussion has been closed.