Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895

Vivien, my condolences too. What a sad news.

edited February 2016

@Tim82: Lovely renders. Very nice POV on the future soldier render.

@Rembrandt: How well the renders with a black background work! Well done.

@Dave Savage: Well done, this light. Maybe a bit too much detail in the skin for me.

@David Brinnen: Ah, a nice space scene again!

I tried a bit of displacement for some moons or something. Combined them with an abstract HDR as light and a sun (blue, that's what you get in space). And some other items, just for fun.

space1_a.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859

@David, I can understand that, and hey if it works well why change :) ...and yeah its a scary thought, but it is looking like all windows will merge to w10 at some point! ...i think my main reasons for likeing it as much as i do...is i instaled it on a muck around pc just to have a look and test it out....so far i have not come across any software that wont run on w10 :) ...so far for rendering i have tried Daz studio,bryce of course, modo, octane, zbrush, wings, blender, 3ds max, world machine....the list go's on :) ...but i do agree! using what you know and are comfortable with is the best way to go!

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited February 2016

Thanks David, Dave, Horo

David – all your renders are stunning, awesome.yessmiley

Dave – your tinkering around and playing with materials and lights are awesome renders.

Horo- nice abstract – Lines, Lomrock – beautiful, the shoreline very nice, ParchedRegion – awesome,

Tim – the Snake render is very photorealistic, the small island beautiful, love the rock, the War-m is also very nice.

Trembling3D – a very nice render for a first attempt.

Rembrandt – love the render especially the sun rays, did you use a cone or a cylinder for it. The Butterfly is awesome.

Navim – the waterfalls looks nice, but I think some transparency in the water will be nice.

Hansmar – The Museum is really nice render, the Space one is awesome. Hope David gets time to do a tut on displacement,  blush

I played with Horo’s Hdri AlienRoom and a floral image which I used as a height map for the terrain.

alienroom2.jpg
    720 x 540 - 113K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • @Mermaid. I used a cone for the rays.

A small joke this one, it's called meteor strike.

This week I had a disturbing few moments when I realised I wanted to alter a cloudlayer whilst sitting in my car in a traffic jam looking at the sky. Wow...playing with Bryce is a sure way to alter your view on nature.

TIP: I am sure most of you allready know about a little gem of a program called Elefont but if you don't, you may want to look here: http://www.armanisoft.ch/ElefontEnglish.html

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,540

Tim - the rock looks great, the rocky soldier on such a rock, too. Great idea.

Rembrandt - very nice render. The glass scene looks great.
    EleFont, yes it's a great program and the price is right, too. Results are better than using the TE. I have the link of it and several other tools on my website: Raytracing > Tools.

Dave - the close-up face looks great. Perhaps a bit of specular to give it a bit of gloss.

David - interesting space scene, a bit busy perhaps, but space is a weird place.

Hansmar - nice idea of a space scene.

Mermaid - that's a very nice scene.

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376

Upgraded from four core i7 920 Brycing to six core i7 5820K.  For most applications, because the clock speeds are pretty close, there's little difference to be seen, but for Bryce, because it can use up to 8 cores, there is a resonable performance boost.  I considered, very briefly, a 5960X 8 core processor, but couldn't really justify with myself the additional £500 I'd have had to fork out for the privilege, and spent the money instead on a more potent GPU setup.  Just going through the traumas of Windows update (Still on Windows 7 - I don't trust 10).  Thanks to updates going a bit wonkey it took two hours for the computer to boot while it installed and then recovered from a failed update.  Urth.  Anyway, here's a little fantasy space render made with components from Deep Space HDRI 1 and the Space Construction Kit by Horo and myself.  Doubtless inspired by my watching more Space 1999.

I've also build a new computer recently. I've make my choice on another 4 cores/8 ways i7 6700k and I've add a watercooling system on it. I've overclocked it to 4,4 ghz and I must admit that there's a true difference compare to my other systems. DDR4 also provide several bandwidth gain! Bryce can really have a new breath and my productivity too. I have also made my choise on Windows 7 system.

I also would like to say that there are many wonderful new renders here! The snake scene from Tim is very good looking and realistic!

Dave savage have done a good job research with lights and skin.

Nice nice nice!

edited February 2016

I dont think you really need to overclock your cpu for bryce ? ...bryce uses cores not speed if im not mistaken :) ....i could be wrong though ? ...the only reason i say this is because i got bored once and ruduced my cpu clock speed to about 1 fith of its default speed but left all cores enabled, and it made not one bit of difference to bryce performence, after that test i started to shut the cores down one by one...thats where i saw performance start to slow :) ....also thank you for the comment :)

Post edited by Tim82 on

I dont know why! ...but i thought i would share laugh

The_Living_Light_Bulb.jpg
    1514 x 845 - 523K
    edited February 2016
    Bryce work with cores and with clocks of those cores. Between 3.8 ghz and 4.4 ghz there's significant difference. Also the memory speed access is speeding things up. I must admit that I can see difference only in my work, as you already know my scenes are very dense.. with a low polygonal scene you're right, there is not a lot of change..
    Post edited by c-ram on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,540

Tim - cool idea, I really like this one.

c-ram - congratulations for your new PC. You're right, clock speed makes a difference because each instruction needs a couple of t-cycles. If the clock is higher, a t-cycle uses less time to execute. Cores are a different story. 8-way (as I also have, but an old i7-920) is a 4 core, each core multi-threaded. Multi-threading gives an average speed increase of 15% (as one Bryce 7.1 developer told us once, and my own measurements confirmed). Bryce sees 8 cores in a multi-threaded 4 core CPU and therefore uses 4 cores in normal priority and uses the multi-threading in high priority. What my measurement also showed that the 15% (average) speed increase moved up power consumption and temperature on the CPU much more than 15%.

• c-ram said:

Upgraded from four core i7 920 Brycing to six core i7 5820K.  For most applications, because the clock speeds are pretty close, there's little difference to be seen, but for Bryce, because it can use up to 8 cores, there is a resonable performance boost.  I considered, very briefly, a 5960X 8 core processor, but couldn't really justify with myself the additional £500 I'd have had to fork out for the privilege, and spent the money instead on a more potent GPU setup.  Just going through the traumas of Windows update (Still on Windows 7 - I don't trust 10).  Thanks to updates going a bit wonkey it took two hours for the computer to boot while it installed and then recovered from a failed update.  Urth.  Anyway, here's a little fantasy space render made with components from Deep Space HDRI 1 and the Space Construction Kit by Horo and myself.  Doubtless inspired by my watching more Space 1999.

I've also build a new computer recently. I've make my choice on another 4 cores/8 ways i7 6700k and I've add a watercooling system on it. I've overclocked it to 4,4 ghz and I must admit that there's a true difference compare to my other systems. DDR4 also provide several bandwidth gain! Bryce can really have a new breath and my productivity too. I have also made my choise on Windows 7 system.

I also would like to say that there are many wonderful new renders here! The snake scene from Tim is very good looking and realistic!

Dave savage have done a good job research with lights and skin.

Nice nice nice!

The 6700K was one of the processors I considered, it had the option of more all out speed on a single core than the 5820K (which I've OC'd to 4ghz) but given that I often render Bryce in the background I thought the extra 2 cores would come in handy since it would mean I wouldn't have to continually dip into the Task Manager to unassign a core from Bryce to leave a bit of power left over for other things.  The other consideration was that for the 5820K fitted on a motherboard that would allow me to install 64gb of ram.  On my old machine ram space was the one thing I ran out of.  And to work on some Octane projects I'd already upgraded to 24gb.  So I got 32gb and if I run out again... I still have the option of putting in another 32.  This all seems ridiculous to me when I consider I used to consider my 32Kb BBC micro to have more then enough memory for all my needs!  And marvel at the staggering memory storgae of the 5 inch floopy discs - which I think was about 700Kb

edited February 2016

Rembrandt - The glass scene looks very nice.

Tim - really nice scene, the lighting and setup, thanks sharing.

Post edited by mermaid010 on

thanks mermaid :) ...and lol david, i remember feeling the same way with my older pc's :)

edited February 2016

im experimenting with a new kind of texture, this is the result so far ...creepy i know! ...but it looks cool :D

hair_test.jpg
    1514 x 845 - 548K
    Post edited by Tim82 on
    edited February 2016

@ Horo : Thank you, I've learn something today because I've never heard about how multithreading increase the speed of each core. Interesting!

@ David : the 5820k is a good proco, and no doubt that with 6 cores/12 threat, you've got power under feet! I can also upgrade my system up to 32 gb wich I think is more than I need to run bryce or terragen.. I have also 2 other i7 computers so, I'm getting really faster now.. and.. oh yeah, I remember my first renders with persistence of vision on my old amiga 1200! 32 mb of memory, a 68060 proco and a hard drive with 20gb!! My god.. more than enough to make.. well, fine picture for that time I think.

@ Tim : nice spider! So creeeeepy, I hate arachnids..

Post edited by c-ram on

@mermaid010: nice idea. Always good to try something new.

@Rembrandt:very nice work. I would have added a drop or two from the fluid.

@Tim82: I like the funny lamp. And the texture of the spider is wonderful. The render is just a bit dark, I think.

Thanks Horo and Hansmar

Tim - very creepy

• Rembrandt_2647480Rembrandt_2647480 Posts: 113
    edited February 2016

Thank you all for the comments.

Not a lot of colour in this render but Dutch skies tend to be bland and depressing in fall and winter.

The cyclist is a 2d plane as are the birds and yes, I use them a lot in my renders...birds that is, not cyclists. wink

EDIT: I posted this render this morning and I was rather contend with it, but something kept nagging at me...

Finally I had my Aha-erlebnis: I had forgotten to make falling leaves! Hmm...another 2d face with leaves stuck on it? Nah. 3 X 150 random replicated black little rocks did the trick.

I also took time to enlarge same bushes en I shifted the sun to another position.

Post edited by Rembrandt_2647480 on

Nice work, Rembrandt!

edited February 2016
    Working on another landscape project, I have decide to put a house in the center of this next scene and I would like to share the subject with you. It's a modern and autonome house that can be built easily and everywhere. I've find the model on 3d warehouse and have convert it from sketchup.
    Modern house.jpg
    850 x 912 - 169K
    Post edited by c-ram on
    edited February 2016

a work in progress, thought i would share how its is looking so far :)

grass_hill.jpg
    1514 x 845 - 758K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited February 2016

updated version :)

grass_hill_2.jpg
    1514 x 845 - 906K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited February 2016

Nice work from everyone as always.... The chat is a bit too technical for me... Us Mac people don't understand all that tech talk laugh.

My latest: These chips way longer to make than they should have done, but I started them in Wings and abandoned that idea... Eventually just boolean modelling them in Bryce, though I did make mesh and export and re-import to tidy up the geometry a bit so they are only three components now. Much easier to replicate and re-colour for different chip values.

Chips2.jpg
    975 x 675 - 349K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited February 2016

nice poker chips dave :)

i have just finished these and wanted to share :)

Twisted_Cube.jpg
    1514 x 845 - 1M
    Post edited by Tim82 on

@Tim82: Starting to wonder whether you have been converted to 'the dark side'. All your renders come out very dark recently. I guess the car is briljant, but cannot really appreciate it. Or might there be something with your screen settings, being much lighter than mine? Dave's render comes out fine.

@Dave Savage: great chips.

@c-ram: house looks very interesting. 

its because i dont use the default gamma settings, i have it turned up just a bit....so on my screen the pictures look fine

Rembrandt- nice render

C-ram - the model is very nice (if you are sharing the model, I don't see a link wink)

Tim - all your renders are awesome as usual, I especially like the twisted cube model, was it done in Wings 3D. 

Dave - great model and lighting

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Tim82, that spiral box thing is pretty neat!

thanks sriesch :) ...and yep mermaid, it was done in wings but modified in blender :)

This discussion has been closed.