UltraScenery - new(er) territory [Commercial]

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,338

Great image, Martinjfrost

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,809

i think i saw a new ultrascenery release today ... something about alien plants. 

• daveso said:

i think i saw a new ultrascenery release today ... something about alien plants. 

Yes. Seems Howie has been doing this inbetween breaks doing USC 2.

https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascenery--planet-taira

• ShimrianShimrian Posts: 528

Yay, I'm really excited about planet-taira for USC! I've been meaning to create a new planet ecosystem after creating one for the Cretaceous period using tutorials on the forums for editing the json files, but it's a lot of work! I already have Planet Taira so I can't wait to see what combinations I can come up with.  heartheart

Thanks, Howie!

HowieFarkes said:

daveso said:

Did Howie give any indication of an approximate release for Ultrascenery 2? 

If I had to give an estimate I'd say Feb/March next year. I'm _nearly_ done with programming but then there's a lot of content to make and a manual to write - and no doubt a lot of bugs to squash. The last 10% always, always takes longer than expected.

awesome. Not too far out. will give something for us to look forward too for sure 

And here is my new test render of the Planet Taira in Ultrascenery! I can't wait to explore it more and create little human and alien settlements on the planet.

Planet Taira

Link to image in gallery with all items used. Feel free to provide feedback since I'm always looking for ways to improve! 

• I thought I would mention that the new Planet Taira appears to be really demanding, at least some of the ecologies. I set up a random scene to test it out and by chance picked ecology 7. After a bunch of testing and several hard stops and starts of Daz, I found that if I have Plants 1 Layer turned on, it simply takes over four minutes before it gets past "Retrieving Lights" and starts rendering. (There's quite a pause after "Retrieving Lights" if Plants 2 and/or 3 Layers are turned on but not nearly 4 minutes.) I'm running an RTX 3090/64GB.

Just to compare, Taira 1 started rendering almost immediately and was finished in under 2 minutes.

• Shimrian said:

And here is my new test render of the Planet Taira in Ultrascenery! I can't wait to explore it more and create little human and alien settlements on the planet.

Planet Taira

Link to image in gallery with all items used. Feel free to provide feedback since I'm always looking for ways to improve! 

That looks beautiful!! I love the vibrant colors so much. 

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 761
    edited November 2023

Have you ever considered rendering your creations to look like it was painted with natural media? I use Rebelle software to do just that and I am hooked. Your work would look nice if it was painted and hung on a wall.

Post edited by AnEye4Art on
  • paulawp (marahzen) said:

I thought I would mention that the new Planet Taira appears to be really demanding, at least some of the ecologies. I set up a random scene to test it out and by chance picked ecology 7. After a bunch of testing and several hard stops and starts of Daz, I found that if I have Plants 1 Layer turned on, it simply takes over four minutes before it gets past "Retrieving Lights" and starts rendering. (There's quite a pause after "Retrieving Lights" if Plants 2 and/or 3 Layers are turned on but not nearly 4 minutes.) I'm running an RTX 3090/64GB.

Just to compare, Taira 1 started rendering almost immediately and was finished in under 2 minutes.

Yeah, the ones with emmissive shaders really do take a while to get the render going.
    edited November 2023

AnEye4Art said:

Have you ever considered rendering your creations to look like it was painted with natural media? I use Rebelle software to do just that and I am hooked. Your work would look nice if it was painted and hung on a wall.

Funny you should mention that. I was actually thinking of using it as a reference image for painting with acrylic on canvas. I started painting again recently so trying to get a few things to work on. This might be a bit overwhelming, but I've done landscapes before, so this would be fun.

I did another render today and tried out the oil paint filter in PS so I'll add it here. I could probably have made the brush strokes thicker, but it's getting late so will just post what I have now. =)

oil painting effect

Ediit: Reposted after removing dof since that isn't needed for the oil painting filter.

Post edited by Shimrian on
    edited November 2023

I used to be a freelance artist who is trying to get back to painting as well. But don't use filters to mimic the painted look because it never looks convincing. One thing paint filters fail to take into account are the subtle values and paint strokes within a picture. Instead filters just move pixels around to mimic the painted look.

edited November 2023

AnEye4Art said:

I used to be a freelance artist who is trying to get back to painting as well. But don't use filters to mimic the painted look because it never looks convincing. One thing paint filters fail to take into account are the subtle values and paint strokes within a picture. Instead filters just move pixels around to mimic the painted look.

Interesting, so what would be a solution to achieve painted look in digital renders instead of filters?

Post edited by Artini on
    edited November 2023

Here is an auto generated (not AI or filters) using Dynamic Auto Painter. I use DAP together with Rebelle - DAP to pre-visualize my idea before going to Rebelle to actually paint using a wacom. You can see the canvas texture and brush strokes when zoomed in on the painted version.

wendel.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 966K
    wendel_DAP.jpg
    4298 x 5026 - 7M
    edited November 2023

This is one done by Shimrian that I used with a different paint style in DAP. Again, zoom in to see the brush strokes and canvas texture.

main.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
    main_DAP.jpg
    5600 x 2603 - 6M

Thanks a lot for the explanation, AnEye4Art.

I am not that skilled yet and only the amateur,

so all tips are great to know for me.

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,379
    edited November 2023

AnEye4Art said:

This is one done by Shimrian that I used with a different paint style in DAP. Again, zoom in to see the brush strokes and canvas texture.

I second the use of DAP - I have been using it for a few years now and while I don't use it on every image, the ones I do use it on are unique and well done. The DAP technology is fascinating as they have digitized actual brush strokes from various artists and use a special engine to apply them in a style consistent with that particular artist. It doesn't just filter your image, it repaints it.  Pretty amazing times we live in!

And to bring this back to UltraScenery - many of the artist styles lend themselves beautifully to the landscapes that UltraScenery produces.  You can use DAP on an UltraScenery scene and do an overlay of the two images modulating the strength of the effect for some truly amazing enhancement!

Post edited by Gogger on
  • Gogger said:

I second the use of DAP - I have been using it for a few years now and while I don't use it on every image, the ones I do use it on are unique and well done. The DAP technology is fascinating as they have digitized actual brush strokes from various artists and use a special engine to apply them in a style consistent with that particular artist. It doesn't just filter your image, it repaints it.  Pretty amazing times we live in!

And to bring this back to UltraScenery - many of the artist styles lend themselves beautifully to the landscapes that UltraScenery produces.  You can use DAP on an UltraScenery scene and do an overlay of the two images modulating the strength of the effect for some truly amazing enhancement!

I could not have said it any better, Gogger. Thank you for the tip as well.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,991

Exploring alien planet Taira.

USC Planet Tiara 1 No Feature_006_Default Camera.jpg
    2600 x 2000 - 4M
    USC Planet Tiara 1 No Feature_006_Camera.jpg
    2600 x 2000 - 4M

barbult said:

its very interesting place. I bought the set quite some time ago when it came out and have never rendered it. My typical approach.  

daveso said:

barbult said:

its very interesting place. I bought the set quite some time ago when it came out and have never rendered it. My typical approach.  

laughlaugh "My typical approach" - I got a kick out of that!

• ZiconZicon Posts: 276

'tis the season to render christmas cards, and US is a great tool for it.

Very nice wintery card!
  • Zicon said:

I really like that one! 

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,701

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Zicon said:

I really like that one! 

Beautiful colors, and the glittering night sky is amazing! 

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,227

Zicon said:

Agreed... THAT would have made a great Monthly Theme for a Daz contest... Christmas Cards!  Yours is be u ti ful!

Looks great, Zicon.

I especially like the composition and the background choosen - well done.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,040

@Zicon that is so lovely.

@DoctorJellybean thank you for pointing it out. I totally missed it because of what it was 'bookended' by. Now in my cart.

Mary

edited December 2023

Zicon said:

This is really good. Wow. How did you do that?  
    I know I have to quit buying and start rendering. Learn some techniques. Develop some skills. You give me inspiration. 

Post edited by daveso on