UltraScenery - new(er) territory [Commercial]

Comments

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,809

barbult said:

daveso said:

here is the scene..very simple. now at 80% 22 minutes. This should render less than 10 minutes. 
    EDIT: Finish 35 minutes 31 seconds. 

It seems like that small render should have been much faster than that. Maybe it is the lighting. It looks very flat. Is that just the default Ruins HDRI? Try sun-sky lighting, like the render preset that comes with UltraScenery2 (USC2 Late Morning). What render settings are you using to terminate the render? Convergence percent? If so, what percent? Number of iterations? Time?

convergence is set at 95% Iterations 5000. It reached the convergence percent. Perhaps I should turn iterations to maybe 2000? Is that enough? Actually, it was only at 1200 when it ended, so could probably drop to 1000? 
    I had no scene lights or anything on. Went to sun-sky and the time was at 8 minutes when I stopped the render at 70%. Much better for sure. at 800 iterations.  
    Now I set iterations at 750. the render stopped at 6 minutes. Convergence was at 72%. the resulting render doesn't look much different to my eyes, if anything. I guess these settings are somewhat arbitrary depending on your scene content? 

@barbult - where do you have yours set at? 

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Comparison: OK, I admit, it's completely cheesy - it was just a product test scene to confirm basic functionality of the new Bone Minion for horses as well as the new Australia 2.

It took 4 minutes, 24 seconds to finish in my 4.22.1.88 beta (yeah, it's old now - I only installed it to test Face Transfer 2). The same file takes 32 minutes, 5 seconds to finish in my release 4.22.0.16. 

wow. Hard to believe there can be that much difference. Thats why, with my 4080, the renders should be very fast. Portraits aren't too bad. US2 extremely slow.  

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,969
    edited September 8

Yoink up that Australia stuff sooo fast.

Post edited by Oso3D on

i just ran US the original with the Australian Bush 4 ... 1minute 50 seconds at 750 iterations, 68% convergence. it looks just fine to me. not spectacular or anything, but a test

1mnute54sec.png
    1800 x 1012 - 3M
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,532
    edited September 8

MSO Red with UST2 Australia. Seemed to work well. 4.21.0.5, 64 Gb/RTX3060/19 mins 17 sec.

I have avoided 'upgrading' to 4.22 because of the reported speed of rendering.

Regards,

Richard

Red 02 R01.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Post edited by richardandtracy on

richardandtracy said:

MSO Red with UST2 Australia. Seemed to work well. 4.21.0.5, 64 Gb/RTX3060/19 mins 17 sec.

I have avoided 'upgrading' to 4.22 because of the reported speed of rendering.

Regards,

Richard

nice render and not a bad time, especially considering the detail and a figure.

here's my last one on this subjsct. Its from US the original. 42 minutes 750 iterations and 88% convergence. Ridiculous time to render. 

42 minutes old us.jpg
    1800 x 1012 - 2M
  • daveso said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Comparison: OK, I admit, it's completely cheesy - it was just a product test scene to confirm basic functionality of the new Bone Minion for horses as well as the new Australia 2.

It took 4 minutes, 24 seconds to finish in my 4.22.1.88 beta (yeah, it's old now - I only installed it to test Face Transfer 2). The same file takes 32 minutes, 5 seconds to finish in my release 4.22.0.16. 

wow. Hard to believe there can be that much difference. Thats why, with my 4080, the renders should be very fast. Portraits aren't too bad. US2 extremely slow.  

Yep. Also, in retrospect, I see that a reasonable person could point to the VDB fog as a possible complication in this example. I tested this problem extensively when I first ran into it (not long after upgrading) and found that all it took was having a USC object, with nothing else, to observe significant difference in render time when comparing to release 4.22.0 and beta 4.22.1 (no longer had a 4.21 instance to test in at that point, of course). Some simpler scenes were less painful, but still much slower. It was when there were lots of tree instances that the real bog down seems to occur.

With that in mind, I retested this scene.  In release 4.22.0, with the USC object turned off - rendering only the horse, rider and the fog - it takes 38 seconds to finish (to a 95% convergence). Rendering only the USC object - minus the horse, rider and fog - took ... longer! At 32 minutes, 5 seconds, it was only to 86%. I stopped it after 36 minutes, when it was up to 90%.

In beta 4.22.1, the horse, rider and fog portion of this scene took 39 seconds to finish (also to 95%). The Ultrascenery object alone took 4 minutes, 24 seconds - exactly the same as with the rest of the scene.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,338
    edited September 8

UltraScenery2 with AB2 Australia 02 preset, width 128m, Resolution 256.

us2Australia128m.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on

Artini said:

Very nice. What version of DAZ Studio are you using and how long did this take to render? 

• butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,213
    edited September 8

I need help, please! I just installed the beta. How do I get UltraScenery2 to show up in it? It's not listed in the window panes tab. 

edit: OK, I uninstalled and re-installed the US2 main files. Now it shows up, but it isn't reading my old scenes correctly. I'm missing foliage (grass) and some other stuff like erosion. 

Post edited by butterflyfish on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,991

butterflyfish said:

I need help, please! I just installed the beta. How do I get UltraScenery2 to show up in it? It's not listed in the window panes tab. 

edit: OK, I uninstalled and re-installed the US2 main files. Now it shows up, but it isn't reading my old scenes correctly. I'm missing foliage (grass) and some other stuff like erosion. 

UltraScenery2 is a plugin. If you install the Beta after installing plugins, it is normal to have to reinstall the plugins. The Beta has a separate folder for plugins, and that folder was not there when you installed plugins into the general release earlier. Now that you have both Beta and General Release, 99% of the time DIM will correctly install to both.

Missing grass and erosion? Check the DS Beta log for errors. Check the DS Beta Content Directory Manager to be sure you have the same content libraries mapped in the Beta as in the general release.

There is a script or two to copy interface settings from one release to another. I don't have a handy link to it, though.

barbult said:

butterflyfish said:

UltraScenery2 is a plugin. If you install the Beta after installing plugins, it is normal to have to reinstall the plugins. The Beta has a separate folder for plugins, and that folder was not there when you installed plugins into the general release earlier. Now that you have both Beta and General Release, 99% of the time DIM will correctly install to both.

Missing grass and erosion? Check the DS Beta log for errors. Check the DS Beta Content Directory Manager to be sure you have the same content libraries mapped in the Beta as in the general release.

There is a script or two to copy interface settings from one release to another. I don't have a handy link to it, though.

Thank you so much! That did it. It had mapped my content directories to the C drive instead of the D drive, where they actually are. Problem solved.

I am still having an issue on opening DS where it says "A tip page for the scene info pane is missing" and asks if I'd like to create the "default" page. IDK if you or anybody can help with that. I just click yes, and it seems happy enough, so no biggie if that's just the way it is. lol

FWIW, I agree that the beta renders much faster than the general release. For the scene I was trying to open, I killed the render in general at 2 hours, and it was only at about 50%. I've been rendering in the beta for 9 minutes, and it's already that far. So yay! 

Thanks again!

butterflyfish said:

barbult said:

butterflyfish said:

Thank you so much! That did it. It had mapped my content directories to the C drive instead of the D drive, where they actually are. Problem solved.

I am still having an issue on opening DS where it says "A tip page for the scene info pane is missing" and asks if I'd like to create the "default" page. IDK if you or anybody can help with that. I just click yes, and it seems happy enough, so no biggie if that's just the way it is. lol

FWIW, I agree that the beta renders much faster than the general release. For the scene I was trying to open, I killed the render in general at 2 hours, and it was only at about 50%. I've been rendering in the beta for 9 minutes, and it's already that far. So yay! 

Thanks again!

You are welcome. I'm glad it was that easy to resolve. 
    As far as that annoying "tip page" message goes, see messages from Doctorjellybean and Richard Haseltine in this thread. It has been declared to not be a bug (!) but there is a work around to get rid of it and an explanation of what it is for. The message will just keep coming back unless you follow Doctorjellybean's suggestion to get rid of it.

Oh, it's not just me? OK then. Not a bug? Hmm. Thank you for the link. I will check that out. And I guess I have a lot of reinstalling of plugins to do. 

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,934

paulawp (marahzen) said:

daveso said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Yep. Also, in retrospect, I see that a reasonable person could point to the VDB fog as a possible complication in this example. I tested this problem extensively when I first ran into it (not long after upgrading) and found that all it took was having a USC object, with nothing else, to observe significant difference in render time when comparing to release 4.22.0 and beta 4.22.1 (no longer had a 4.21 instance to test in at that point, of course). Some simpler scenes were less painful, but still much slower. It was when there were lots of tree instances that the real bog down seems to occur.

With that in mind, I retested this scene.  In release 4.22.0, with the USC object turned off - rendering only the horse, rider and the fog - it takes 38 seconds to finish (to a 95% convergence). Rendering only the USC object - minus the horse, rider and fog - took ... longer! At 32 minutes, 5 seconds, it was only to 86%. I stopped it after 36 minutes, when it was up to 90%.

In beta 4.22.1, the horse, rider and fog portion of this scene took 39 seconds to finish (also to 95%). The Ultrascenery object alone took 4 minutes, 24 seconds - exactly the same as with the rest of the scene.

Thanks for all the testing, I was slowly going insane here with the performance of USC2, though once established it seems to work much faster but trying to get that grassland growing on a larger set I watited with nothing happend until I gave up. did anybody try an NIVDIA update in this context?

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,040
    edited September 9

barbult said:

butterflyfish said:

barbult said:

butterflyfish said:

Thanks again!

As far as that annoying "tip page" message goes, see messages from Doctorjellybean and Richard Haseltine in this thread. It has been declared to not be a bug (!) but there is a work around to get rid of it and an explanation of what it is for. The message will just keep coming back unless you follow Doctorjellybean's suggestion to get rid of it.

Thanks for the link to that thread barbult. Even if it reassured me it wasn't something wrong with my computer, I am more confused since I don't speak computer. But I am a bit more worried about another comment further down that 3DL shaders not working after the update. I have a large library of them. Just tested them, no issues if I rendered in Iray, but with the 3DL render engine, it turned black.

Post edited by memcneil70 on
    edited September 9

daveso said:

Artini said:

Very nice. What version of DAZ Studio are you using and how long did this take to render? 

Thanks. I am using the latest version od Daz Studio Beta.

I have not waited until the render has fully finished, but has just clicked cancel after it looked ok.

The rendering time was around 9 minutes.

Post edited by Artini on
  • drucdruc Posts: 401
    edited September 9

I have a little issue with UltraScenery2. I have been re-visiting after buying the Australia add on for US2. I have the original bundle. All installed with DIM. I have been following Martin J Frosts video tutorial  and added Bioms as per the vids. I re-visited the vids because I wasn't sure what I had actually purchased. The Vids clarrified for me and I know where to find them now. anyway, when I was doing test renders to see how it was looking, I noticed no pebbles on the road (dirt track), so I added road pebbles from the base US2 pack. They seem to run along each side of the track, not on it. I have attached 3 images, one a screen shot of the scene with only the road peebbles visible and the other two the settings. the setting reduced are ones that were left as a default with the "features". 

How do I get the pebbles to follow the road like they do if I choose a preset?

US2 road pebbles settings-1.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 285K
    US2 road pebbles settings-2.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 281K
    US2 road pebbles.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 228K
    Post edited by druc on

i just filed a ticket with tech support on the slowness of DS 4.22 with Ultrascenery products. Shall see what they say.

daveso said:

i just filed a ticket with tech support on the slowness of DS 4.22 with Ultrascenery products. Shall see what they say.

Good idea 

• I'm not happy that others are experiencing this discouraging problem of extreme slowness, but at least, there's some further evidence suggesting that it's a problem with the current release version, giving me continued hope that it will self-resolve with the next upgrade. All of us are consistently doing just fine with the slightly newer beta version.

paulawp (marahzen) said:

I'm not happy that others are experiencing this discouraging problem of extreme slowness, but at least, there's some further evidence suggesting that it's a problem with the current release version, giving me continued hope that it will self-resolve with the next upgrade. All of us are consistently doing just fine with the slightly newer beta version.

that is great to know for sure. Had I realized it was going to be so bad I would have never downgraded to 4.22. Even my original US is slower by a lot.  

edited September 9

Another test of UltraScenery 2 with the new Australia set.

Rendering Time: 8 minutes 27 seconds

Daz Studio Beta 4.22.1.202
    Terrain Preset: USC2 Track 04
    Width 128 m, Resolution 256
    Ecology Preset: AB2 Australia 03
    Material: USC2 Terrain 07 MAT
    USX SunSky 9:30am

us2at20240909.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on

druc said:

I have a little issue with UltraScenery2. I have been re-visiting after buying the Australia add on for US2. I have the original bundle. All installed with DIM. I have been following Martin J Frosts video tutorial  and added Bioms as per the vids. I re-visited the vids because I wasn't sure what I had actually purchased. The Vids clarrified for me and I know where to find them now. anyway, when I was doing test renders to see how it was looking, I noticed no pebbles on the road (dirt track), so I added road pebbles from the base US2 pack. They seem to run along each side of the track, not on it. I have attached 3 images, one a screen shot of the scene with only the road peebbles visible and the other two the settings. the setting reduced are ones that were left as a default with the "features". 

How do I get the pebbles to follow the road like they do if I choose a preset?

It appears to me that the pebbles you got match the biome road pebbles you chose.

1. The biome thumbnail shows three rows of pebbles, one on each side of the whole track and one down the middle. Look again closely at the thumbnail. I think the intent of Road Pebbles 1 biome layer is to show "litter" along the edges of the road. Traffic on the road has worn away the litter in the traveled path, Areas that aren't walked or driven on, like the edges and center, retain "litter".
    2. By default, the Litter Preview Density is set to 10%, so your viewport preview does not show all the pebbles that will be rendered. You can increase that to 100% to see an accurate preview of every pebble that will be rendered, but it will slow viewport performance. But still, the pebbles will be located in the defined distribution of middle and edges of road.
    3. You can reduce the spacing to get more pebbles, but they will still be distributed as defined in the biome layer (middle and edges of track).

What preset are you trying to replicate, that has the pebbles on the whole road surface? I'll take a look at it.

Screenshot 2024-09-09 180146.jpg
    802 x 552 - 65K
    Screenshot 2024-09-09 180254.jpg
    615 x 413 - 32K
    Screenshot 2024-09-09 181012.jpg
    569 x 346 - 26K
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,040

barbult said:

butterflyfish said:

barbult said:

butterflyfish said:

Thanks again!

Thanks for the link to that thread barbult. Even if it reassured me it wasn't something wrong with my computer, I am more confused since I don't speak computer. But I am a bit more worried about another comment further down that 3DL shaders not working after the update. I have a large library of them.

• drucdruc Posts: 401

I saved the scene, as I can't leave Studio running while I work because the Studio PC doesn't like not having a screen. When I reloaded the scene it was 64 x 64. Not 128 etc. and the track was way too small. I added the British farm truck to check the scale. I deleted everything except the ground plane and started again. After all, this is a learning using Martin J Frost's tutorial vids.  

Please see attached a re-worked scene, no preset, just using the Biome layers and the afinity options to repel and attract and USC track 4. Now, I seem to have road pebbles where they should be.

003-resized.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited September 10

Custom heightmap in UltraScenery 2 with Ecology Preset: AB2 Australia 09

us2at20240910.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 997K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited September 10

Custom heightmap in UltraScenery 2
    Daz Studio Beta 4.22.1.202
    Ecology Preset: AB2 Australia 08
    Rendering Time: 18 minutes 2 seconds

us2at20240910a.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 826K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,063

I am still using the old Ultrascenery and bought the Australian bundle for it (not the new one for 2 obviously) the other day

it's been over 24 hours building a scene

is this normal?

I am not going to give it another whole day that's for sure and doubt I can even render it anyway, not returning it as can use the assets elsewhere and didn't cost much

sorry, I really have a love hate relationship with DAZ studio