[Released, inc. update] 1-Click PBRSkin [Commercial]

Comments

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,126

barbult said:

Damsel said:

The red issue is the thing that's been bugging me for years. I have found I can bring the orange down by reducing the saturation in SSS. But why do artists make the characters so orange to begin with? 

"But why do artists make the characters so orange to begin with? "  Isn't that the million dollar question!

I totally agree about the orange skin. I usually reduce the transulency because they tend to be a bit dark too, and then adjust the transmitted color. I have no idea if that's the right way to go about it, but it seems to work.

• StarLabzStarLabz Posts: 62

Not to down your product as it has some cool 1-click features but DAZ already supplied the PBR Shader for free, which i find it very odd even at its current price.  The PBR Shader can be found as "Daz Iray PBRSkin" in the default shaders folder unless installed it sdomewhere else.  Just search for it in the content folder.  I beleive it comes with the DAZ essentials.

I've been using this for years on all my previous DAZ characters (V3-V9) and you can even apply this same shader to clothing/objects to create better enhanced tiles normals using the new PBR system. 

Again your product seems to just apply this same shader that has been availible to everyone since the G8.1 release; albiet, some quick options to apply diffent roughness, which can always be changed manually in the surface tab.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,479

StarLabz said:

Not to down your product as it has some cool 1-click features but DAZ already supplied the PBR Shader for free, which i find it very odd even at its current price.  The PBR Shader can be found as "Daz Iray PBRSkin" in the default shaders folder unless installed it sdomewhere else.  Just search for it in the content folder.  I beleive it comes with the DAZ essentials.

I've been using this for years on all my previous DAZ characters (V3-V9) and you can even apply this same shader to clothing/objects to create better enhanced tiles normals using the new PBR system. 

Again your product seems to just apply this same shader that has been availible to everyone since the G8.1 release; albiet, some quick options to apply diffent roughness, which can always be changed manually in the surface tab.

They don't just apply the shader, though. They also tweak values for the best result and offer easy user adjustment of gamma. Take another read through this thread.

Like many techniques in Daz Studio, you can slog through manually, or you can buy a tool to make things quicker and easier. Sometimes those tools even achieve better results than you can easily achieve on your own. If you already have a technique that you are happy with, or you don't even have older characters you want to convert, then this is probably not something that is right for you.

• Josh DarlingJosh Darling Posts: 82
    edited July 2023

Edited because I needlessly duplicated much of what barbult was saying...

It is true, we don't just apply the shader. There are adjustments to settings, moving maps around, setting them up so they can have gamma adjusted seprarately, that sort of thing

Post edited by Josh Darling on
  • Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554
    edited July 2023

StarLabz said:

You are quite right that the PBRSkin shader has been available since Genesis 8.1 release, in fact our product has a dependency on this being installed. The main goal of 1-Click PBRSkin is to minimise and even eliminate manual steps when applying the new shader.

Just applying the shader to the relevant skin surfaces will not produce good results. This is because there are a number of additional manual steps that have to be performed to get it looking good, for example several channels have to be enabled and their values tweaked, plus other things as mentioned by Barbult and Josh above.

You are of course free to do this if you so wish - our product provides convenience so that you can spend more time doing the fun stuff like scene setting and rendering. It's even more convenient for older characters that don't have colour translucency maps, as it removes a whole set of extra steps to getting a realistic looking Iray skin.

I'm guessing that you enjoy the manual tweaking process? Many don't.

Post edited by Silas3D on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,868
    edited July 2023

For testing skin shaders I recommend the free "venice sunrise" HDRI from the polyhaven website.

It hcontains images of real people, which you can compare your skin tones to, by leaving the render and exposure values by default.

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • RaketeRakete Posts: 90
    edited July 2023

Just bought this to try it out, first time I run it using this figure: https://www.daz3d.com/michelle-hd-for-genesis-8-female

I get an error: "Could not open file: /1CPBR_-_PBRSkin_-_Genesis_8_Female.duf file does not exist".

2023-07-12 22:50:25.061 [INFO] :: Loading script: E:/My DAZ Connect Library/data/cloud/1_90767/scripts/silas3d/1-click pbrskin/1 - convert to pbrskin/1cpbr convert to pbrskin - keep translucency.dse
    2023-07-12 22:50:25.168 [INFO] :: Gathering texture information
    2023-07-12 22:50:25.839 [INFO] :: Saved image: C:\Users\Rakete\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\Genesis8Female S3D MAT.duf.png
    2023-07-12 22:50:25.942 [INFO] :: Applying Settings
    2023-07-12 22:56:36.976 [INFO] :: Could not open file : /1CPBR_-_PBRSkin_-_Genesis_8_Female.duf 
    File does not exist.
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.016 [DEBUG] :: Uncompressed
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.055 [DEBUG] :: Torso
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.055 [DEBUG] :: Face
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.056 [DEBUG] :: Legs
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.056 [DEBUG] :: Mouth
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.065 [DEBUG] :: /runtime/textures/kayleyssad/characters/genesis8female/michelle/michellemouthmapd_1005.jpg
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.068 [DEBUG] :: Applying Diffuse to Translucency
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.069 [DEBUG] :: sLayerName michellemouthmapd_1005.jpg
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.069 [DEBUG] :: Layered, Adding Layer
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.084 [DEBUG] :: Arms
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.088 [INFO] :: Finishing
    2023-07-12 22:56:40.149 [DEBUG] :: refreshing draw style
    2023-07-12 22:56:40.358 [INFO] :: Script executed successfully: E:/My DAZ Connect Library/data/cloud/1_90767/scripts/silas3d/1-click pbrskin/1 - convert to pbrskin/1cpbr convert to pbrskin - keep translucency.dse

Post edited by Rakete on
  • Rakete said:

Just bought this to try it out, first time I run it using this figure: https://www.daz3d.com/michelle-hd-for-genesis-8-female

I get an error: "Could not open file: /1CPBR_-_PBRSkin_-_Genesis_8_Female.duf file does not exist".

2023-07-12 22:50:25.061 [INFO] :: Loading script: E:/My DAZ Connect Library/data/cloud/1_90767/scripts/silas3d/1-click pbrskin/1 - convert to pbrskin/1cpbr convert to pbrskin - keep translucency.dse
    2023-07-12 22:50:25.168 [INFO] :: Gathering texture information
    2023-07-12 22:50:25.839 [INFO] :: Saved image: C:\Users\Rakete\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\Genesis8Female S3D MAT.duf.png
    2023-07-12 22:50:25.942 [INFO] :: Applying Settings
    2023-07-12 22:56:36.976 [INFO] :: Could not open file : /1CPBR_-_PBRSkin_-_Genesis_8_Female.duf 
    File does not exist.
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.016 [DEBUG] :: Uncompressed
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.055 [DEBUG] :: Torso
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.055 [DEBUG] :: Face
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.056 [DEBUG] :: Legs
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.056 [DEBUG] :: Mouth
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.065 [DEBUG] :: /runtime/textures/kayleyssad/characters/genesis8female/michelle/michellemouthmapd_1005.jpg
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.068 [DEBUG] :: Applying Diffuse to Translucency
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.069 [DEBUG] :: sLayerName michellemouthmapd_1005.jpg
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.069 [DEBUG] :: Layered, Adding Layer
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.084 [DEBUG] :: Arms
    2023-07-12 22:56:37.088 [INFO] :: Finishing
    2023-07-12 22:56:40.149 [DEBUG] :: refreshing draw style
    2023-07-12 22:56:40.358 [INFO] :: Script executed successfully: E:/My DAZ Connect Library/data/cloud/1_90767/scripts/silas3d/1-click pbrskin/1 - convert to pbrskin/1cpbr convert to pbrskin - keep translucency.dse

We'll have an update soon that will fix that for you, sorry about that

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,955

Will there be a G8.1 version in the future?

As I use G8.1 exclusively, however, the gamma/roughness works well enough!

In terms of DAZ Original figures, 8.1 figures already use the PBRSkin shader so don't need converting. Have you seen other 8.1 figures that don't?

Silas3D said:

takezo_3001 said:

In terms of DAZ Original figures, 8.1 figures already use the PBRSkin shader so don't need converting. Have you seen other 8.1 figures that don't?

MSO Dola HD for Genesis 9 loads with the Iray Uber skin shader. She also comes with PBR materials, but it is strange that the figure does not load with them.

• rupaolrupaol Posts: 15

Excellent product, it really adds a new level of realism to G8 characters. 

I understood that the script only works on the Daz original anatomical elements.

Is there any guidance on how to convert other geografts to match the PBR skin? I tried a simple copy/past of the materials but that did obviosly not work (as expected). 

Thanks

barbult said:

Silas3D said:

takezo_3001 said:

MSO Dola HD for Genesis 9 loads with the Iray Uber skin shader. She also comes with PBR materials, but it is strange that the figure does not load with them.

Thanks for the info Barbult - in that figures case then there would be no need for a conversion as there's already a PBRSkin preset available. If anyone does know of any Genesis 8.1 or 9 figures that only come with Iray Uber shaders then please let me know in this forum thread!

rupaol said:

I understood that the script only works on the Daz original anatomical elements.

Is there any guidance on how to convert other geografts to match the PBR skin? I tried a simple copy/past of the materials but that did obviosly not work (as expected). 

Thanks

Thank you very much!

Yes that is correct. You can do the following:

1. Apply the PBRSkin shader to the geograft surface/s manually
    2. Copy and paste one of the converted surfaces to the geograft (it wouldn't have worked for you before because the surfaces were using different shaders that have different channels)
    3. Select the right textures for the geograft and make any other manual tweaks you need to.

There needs to be awareness of what the geograft is named as well as it's surface names - there are so many available on the marketplace that it would be impossible to include support for all in this product, which is why only the DAZ anatomical elements are supported.

• rupaolrupaol Posts: 15

Silas3D said:

rupaol said:

Thanks

Thank you very much!

2. Copy and paste one of the converted surfaces to the geograft (it wouldn't have worked for you before because the surfaces were using different shaders that have different channels)
    3. Select the right textures for the geograft and make any other manual tweaks you need to.

There needs to be awareness of what the geograft is named as well as it's surface names - there are so many available on the marketplace that it would be impossible to include support for all in this product, which is why only the DAZ anatomical elements are supported.

Thank you! That was very helpful. 

rupaol said:

Silas3D said:

rupaol said:

Thanks

Thank you very much!

Thank you! That was very helpful. 

Pleasure! Thanks for your support :) 

This is my most impressive conversion so far. This is Leroy 8. I always hated the way he looked so Red. All I did was apply the 1 Click Converter for Genesis 8 and he looks so much better, it is amazing.

Original Iray Uber Leroy 8 no

Original Leroy 8

1 Click PBR Leroy 8 yes

1 Click PBR Leroy 8

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,816
    edited July 2023

barbult said:

This is my most impressive conversion so far. This is Leroy 8. I always hated the way he looked so Red. All I did was apply the 1 Click Converter for Genesis 8 and he looks so much better, it is amazing.

Original Iray Uber Leroy 8 no

Original Leroy 8

1 Click PBR Leroy 8 yes

1 Click PBR Leroy 8

That is impressive. I guess this will be my go-to for all Core Figure red skins. Now I need a one-click teeth un-dingy-er. 

Post edited by xyer0 on

xyer0 said:

That is impressive. I guess this will be my go-to for all Core Figure red skins. Now I need a one-click teeth un-dingy-er

The 1-Click user guide has a couple suggestions for that. It might take you a couple clicks, though.wink

edited July 2023

barbult said:

xyer0 said:

That is impressive. I guess this will be my go-to for all Core Figure red skins. Now I need a one-click teeth un-dingy-er

The 1-Click user guide has a couple suggestions for that. It might take you a couple clicks, though.wink

Hehe indeed! It's expected that some manual tweaking will always be needed for some skins, but it get's you most of the way there.

Also what looks good is highly subjective, so having the power to tweak things to your preference is always a boon. The yellow teeth I figured would come up a lot so I already added tips from the guide to the FAQ section of the first post in this forum too.

Post edited by Silas3D on
    edited July 2023

Silas3D said:

~snip~

Sorry for the delayed reply, but the script does not load if you have G8.1 loaded, specifically, the PBR conversion, and the roughness dialogue, as the only other script command that works is the gamma, otherwise, I get an error dialogue for having the wrong figure loaded!

EDIT: My mistake, this Script is for G8, not G8.1!

Still frustrated by this forum template though...

Well I WOULD  upload a screenshot of the error, but I can't due to this F***** S***** forum template! >8^(|

Used Imgur...

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
    edited July 2023

edited July 2023

edited July 2023

edited July 2023

STUPID F***** FORUM TEMPLATE! MULTI POSTED.

takezo_3001 said:

Silas3D said:

~snip~

Sorry for the delayed reply, but the script does not load if you have G8.1 loaded, specifically, the PBR conversion, the only other script command that works is the gamma, otherwise, I get an error dialogue for having the wrong figure loaded!

Doesn't your G8.1 character ALREADY use the PBRSkin shader? There is probably nothing to convert. That script is for characters using OTHER skin shaders, like Iray Uber or old AoA_Subsurface. Hence there is no reason to run it on G8.1. Or do you have a rogue G8.1 that does not use PBRSkin? What character are you using?

edited July 2023

barbult said:

Doesn't your G8.1 character ALREADY use the PBRSkin shader? There is probably nothing to convert. That script is for characters using OTHER skin shaders, like Iray Uber or old AoA_Subsurface. Hence there is no reason to run it on G8.1. Or do you have a rogue G8.1 that does not use PBRSkin? What character are you using?

Crap, I was thrown off by skimming the description from the product page as I read this: 

• Convert a Genesis 2, 3, or 8 figure to use the PBRSkin shader, introduced with Genesis 8.1

I should have read this instead, eh? ;) :P

• Compatible Figures: Genesis 8 Female, Genesis 8 Male, Genesis 2 Female, Genesis 2 Male, Genesis 3 Female, Genesis 3 Male

​What I highlighted is what registered in my brain during my haste when I purchased it, I figured it would still be useful for use with G8.1; as G8.1 does not automatically load the PBR shader, you specifically have to either manually setup the PBR or have a G8.1 specific texture set that does.

So for both G8 and G8.1, you have to manually set up the PBR shader when first loading, particularly, if you want to use G8 texture sets with G8.1, hence the potential viability for those that still use the G8 texture sets with the G8.1 figure, and I'm willing to bet that a lot of people still use the G8 texture sets, as there are as many G8 texture sets that have been, and still purchased and used by people that use the G8.1 figure...

And neither G8 nor G8.1 automatically loads PBR textures, hence the potential viability of this script...

The good news is that it still works excellent for gamma tuning, as that's a wretchedly mundane task taken care of by this script, but yeah, G8.1 figure support would still be viable for this product.

• lyd435lyd435 Posts: 0

Tried your product on a G3 model whose skin renders as grey since the change to Iray. So I've had to use a different skin, but this alters her appearance somewhat.  My tests thus far with your product provides a skin tone that is very close to the original character. I'll try the teeth and gen material next to see if it creates a good match for them. Thanks.

takezo_3001 said:

barbult said:

Crap, I was thrown off by skimming the description from the product page as I read this: 

• Convert a Genesis 2, 3, or 8 figure to use the PBRSkin shader, introduced with Genesis 8.1

I should have read this instead, eh? ;) :P

• Compatible Figures: Genesis 8 Female, Genesis 8 Male, Genesis 2 Female, Genesis 2 Male, Genesis 3 Female, Genesis 3 Male

​What I highlighted is what registered in my brain during my haste when I purchased it, I figured it would still be useful for use with G8.1; as G8.1 does not automatically load the PBR shader, you specifically have to either manually setup the PBR or have a G8.1 specific texture set that does.

So for both G8 and G8.1, you have to manually set up the PBR shader when first loading, particularly, if you want to use G8 texture sets with G8.1, hence the potential viability for those that still use the G8 texture sets with the G8.1 figure, and I'm willing to bet that a lot of people still use the G8 texture sets, as there are as many G8 texture sets that have been, and still purchased and used by people that use the G8.1 figure...

And neither G8 nor G8.1 automatically loads PBR textures, hence the potential viability of this script...

The good news is that it still works excellent for gamma tuning, as that's a wretchedly mundane task taken care of by this script, but yeah, G8.1 figure support would still be viable for this product.

As a workaround, perhaps you could load the desired G8 skin on G8, do the conversion, save a materials preset, and then load the converted skin on your G8.1. Would that work?

edited July 2023

Edit: I post too late at night. I got the wrong "ia". This is Olivia 9 skin, not Julia 9 skin.

I've been playing with the gamma adjustments on Julia  Olivia 9. When comparing these images, just look at the skin. I changed some clothing, hair color, and even character shapes between renders, because otherwise, it gets kind of boring rendering the same thing over and over. Besides, I thought the dark skin needed a good bit of Angela's shape dialed in. But all the skins are Julia's Olivia's with 1CPBR gamma adjustments. These are are probably hundreds (or more) different combinations of the diffuse and translucency gamma adjustment combinations that you could try, to get a whole range of skin colors. These were not the lightest or darkest possible adjustments.

Olivia 9 Skin, as delivered by Daz

Olivia 9 Skin with Gamma Adjustment Lower Values

Olivia 9 Skin with Gamma Adjustment Higher Values

Post edited by barbult on