LIVE! In the store NOW!! LowPi - the Low Poly Figure, and Crowd Creator Scripts

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,955

luci45 said:

barbult said:

@luci45 if it is an unrigged prop, did you parent it to the LowPi head, so it moves with the head? What is an example of a problem hat. I'll try it if I have it.

The two in the renders are by smay for genesis;https://www.daz3d.com/sg-baseball-cap-for-genesis and https://www.daz3d.com/sg-headdresses-for-genesis.

I also tried this one that does not autofit, just parents to head and has adjustments: https://www.daz3d.com/headwear-for-genesis-2-and-3-male-s

I noticed your army guys are wearing hat. No problems with those? Which uniform is that?

I have all three or those products, so I will try them and see what happens for me.

The army guys are wearing a decimated version of dForce Combat Uniform Outfit for Genesis 9. For the uniform part (excluding the hat). I autofit it to LowPi and decimated and exported all of it, including the shoes, as a single OBJ and rigged it as one full body item of clothing. I used the bodysuit template in transfer utility and fit it to LowPi.

Yes, that hat gave me terrible fits! I had the problems that you described. I overcame the problem, and now it works fine. I tried so many things, but I think what ended up working was autofitting it to LowPi, decimating it and exporting as OBJ. Then rigging the hat to LowPi without using a template, but not fitting it to LowPi. I just parented it to his head. I don't know how much of that was necessary or what part was the magic. 

Since then, I've converted other hats that worked fine. I converted the B.E.T.T.Y ball cap, the Desprerado cowboy hat and they worked fine when fit to LowPi.

Screenshot 2024-05-29 175642.jpg
    334 x 249 - 17K
    Screenshot 2024-05-29 175715.jpg
    1970 x 1434 - 249K
  • Lyrra MadrilLyrra Madril Posts: 276

ok so theres a weird little bug in DS that we slammed into halfway through this.

If you parent a prop to a figure , the head is most noticeable,  and then instance the figrue and then change height of the figure - the prop flies off off the head of the instance. This is specifically caused by the bodypart level scaling in Lowpi's (and g9's) proportion dials NOT being transferred correctly to the instance. DAZ is aware of this.  To work around this for Lowpi, I rigged all the hairs and the shirt collars, and then we rebuilt the crowdkits so the hair stopped flying away. 

So - anything that goes on the head or neck should be rigged or Weird Things Happen when its run through instancing.

This does happen on g9 if you are foolish enough to isntance it and then use one of the proportion dials or any of my Phenotype shapes.  Its a program level issue, and like i said they are aware of it. Its is very scpecific ERC built control dials that change bodypart scaling (like increasing the Y scale on the legs to make them taller) that have the issue.

so I'm taking my time and going over Lowpi step by step to figure where my copy and the store copy diverged and making sure that everything is where I think it ought to be.  So I'll be a day or so to be certain and have the team check me and then send it along to DAZ again. Like I said DAZ had some technical issues with the PA file server earlier this year, so I think that might be part of it.

other expansions - I have a long list, Medeival people is currently in process.  After that we have not yet decided.  Steampunk/victorian is in the list, as is various eras of warfare, police, so forth and so on but its hard to say when we will get to any particular topic.  Each set is a lot of work from costumes, to props, to poses and making the crowd kits.   We're trying to space it out to give us (and your wallets)  a break ;)

edited May 29

@luci45 I autofit the SG Ball Cap and SG Knitted Cap without using either template and saved the Asset. They worked fine on posed LowPi. That was a great idea of yours to use Genesis items. They were low enough resolution that I didn't feel a need to decimate. It makes the process faster that way.

LowPi SG Baseball Cap.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 486K
    LowPi SG Knitted Cap.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 486K
    Post edited by barbult on

I made conversion things to use v4 and m4 as well as genesis...es.  Figured that gave a nice range of options, and the older stuff is pretty low poly as well.  And you can make 'body doubles' that way for your main character if you are doing seqential art like comics

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,737

barbult said:

@luci45 I autofit the SG Ball Cap and SG Knitted Cap without using either template and saved the Asset. They worked fine on posed LowPi. That was a great idea of yours to use Genesis items. They were low enough resolution that I didn't feel a need to decimate. It makes the process faster that way.

They look great. I recently autofitted and saved, then put baseball hat on head as attachment and it follows the figure, including resizing. Did you change them to objs?

edited May 30

luci45 said:

barbult said:

They look great. I recently autofitted and saved, then put baseball hat on head as attachment and it follows the figure, including resizing. Did you change them to objs?

No, for those two hats, I didn't decimate, so I didn't export to OBJ and use Transfer Utility to rerig. I just saved the autofitted hat as a new wardrobe asset for LowPi.
    What do you mean by putting it on the head as an attachment? Do you mean in the wearkit as an attachment like the bangs?

Edited for spelling. How can I misspell "didn't" wrong twice two different ways?

edited May 30

LowPi tourists in the desert with hats!

LowPi Tourists with hats in the desert.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M

barbult said:

luci45 said:

barbult said:

No, for those two hats, I didn't decimate, so I didn't export to OBJ and use Transfer Utility to rerig. I just saved the autofitted hat as a new wardrobe asset for LowPi.
    What do you mean by putting it on the head as an attachment? Do you mean in the wearkit as an attachment like the bangs?

Edited for spelling. How can I misspell "didn't" wrong twice two different ways?

The weird (original) problem I have is that any hats I autofit, including lopoly genesis, don't move with the figure. 

Also I didn't know you had to export and rerig after decimating. (I don't read all the instructions and then forget what I've read anyway>)

edited May 30

luci45 said:

barbult said:

luci45 said:

barbult said:

The weird (original) problem I have is that any hats I autofit, including lopoly genesis, don't move with the figure. 

Also I didn't know you had to export and rerig after decimating. (I don't read all the instructions and then forget what I've read anyway>)

This is how I do it: After decimating, select Create LOD on the Decimate pane. Then in the Parameters pane, under Mesh Resolution, select that LOD. Then export ot OBJ and select remove unused vertices. Import the OBJ and rig to LowPi with the Transfer Utility. I don't use a template when rigging hair or caps. The imported OBj will not import all the settings of the original surface materials. You may choose to copy the material surfaces from the original item and paste them to the surfaces of the newly rigged LowPi item. Then save it as a new asset.

(I use the V3D Scene Optimizer to reduce the resolution of the texture files before saving the final asset, if they are above 1K)

barbult said:

luci45 said:

barbult said:

luci45 said:

barbult said:

This is how I do it: After decimating, select Create LOD on the Decimate pane. Then in the Parameters pane, under Mesh Resolution, select that LOD. Then export ot OBJ and select remove unused vertices. Import the OBJ and rig to LowPi with the Transfer Utility. I don't use a template when rigging hair or caps. The imported OBj will not import all the settings of the original surface materials. You may choose to copy the material surfaces from the original item and paste them to the surfaces of the newly rigged LowPi item. Then save it as a new asset.

(I use the V3D Scene Optimizer to reduce the resolution of the texture files before saving the final asset, if they are above 1K)

Thanks, barbult. That makes sense.

edited June 6

In their later years Maxine and Larry get married in front of friends and family, including many children, grand-children and inlaws. 

I left the hecklers in for fun. I love the new clothes and materials. 

The Wedding.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 949K
    Post edited by luci45 on

@luci45 Excellent! Can you imagine doing that scene without LowPi? Did you have to make any manual adjustments for intersecting people or clothing poke through?

@Lyrra Madril can we hope to see a LowPi character correctives and hand pose limits update anytime soon? How are you coming on your comparison of your files and the released files?

edited June 6

My LowPis went to the beach.

LowPi at the beach.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 1M

barbult said:

@luci45 Excellent! Can you imagine doing that scene without LowPi? Did you have to make any manual adjustments for intersecting people or clothing poke through?

Thanks, barbult. I wasn't paying much attention to dress poke-thru because there wasn't much of it. The chairs are far enough apart so the figures didn't overlap. I had tried one in Aslan Theatre and it wasn't good because of of that. I had to change some poses after generating scene, the listening pose is leaning over to far and the pose with extended arm around the person next to the figure stood out like sore thumbs. There were 72 figures, 40% clones, so had to move a few clones that were next to each other (I guess they could have been twins.) I don't like the new updo on guys, or the bangs, but don't know if I can filter those out. I made a couple of bald guys by just deleting their hair. Overall , I love it! It wasn't really possible to make an audience before with believable lighting. I don't like the billboard people because of that.

I love your beach scene!

Thanks for the info, @luci45. I'm glad you liked my beach scene. I've been working on poses and converting clothing and hair for days.

Okay, after carefully going back and checking my updates logs I verified everything should be in the patched set I just sent in to DAZ. So hopefully that should be out to you guys after testing.  Changes - adjusted the butt CBS to be more symmetrical and matched the wrist bend limits.  (also checked over all sorts of other things, btu those were the only changes)

LM

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,871

@Luci45: What a great wedding!
    @barbult: That beach looks very real

It's lovely to see so many great LowPi images

edited June 11

LowPi people chasing rabbits in UltraScenery 2. I had to scale the rabbits to 200% to be able to see them. I don't bother with LowPi height markers. I just use mcjDropToTerrain2 to move the LowPi people to the height of the terrain after generating the crowd.

LowPi Group on USC2.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M

Lyrra Madril said:

Okay, after carefully going back and checking my updates logs I verified everything should be in the patched set I just sent in to DAZ. So hopefully that should be out to you guys after testing.  Changes - adjusted the butt CBS to be more symmetrical and matched the wrist bend limits.  (also checked over all sorts of other things, btu those were the only changes)

LM

I'm watching for it in DIM. Thank you. Do the templates need to be updated to have the correct CBS files for the thigh bends, so clothes inherit the correct CBS?

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,332

barbult said:

LowPi people chasing rabbits in UltraScenery 2. I had to scale the rabbits to 200% to be able to see them. I don't bother with LowPi height markers. I just use mcjDropToTerrain2 to move the LowPi people to the height of the terrain after generating the crowd.

Wow, this looks great. Thanks for sharing the image.

LowPi's with USC2 ( a great combination )

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,332

Very nice images, @Totte

UltraScenery 2 take most of my free time and I like how LowPi integrates with it.

Artini said:

Very nice images, @Totte

UltraScenery 2 take most of my free time and I like how LowPi integrates with it.

Thanks!  Both are for my "Gnosha story", LowPi really has been vital for realising some of the ideas. 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,480

barbult said:

Hmmm, Gloucester Cheese Rolling maybe worth trying.

edited June 12

Head for the Hills

A military training exercise in the middle of the desert was interrupted by a lone bison. Maybe he escaped from a zoo.

LowPi Military Camo Running From Bison_002.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

Hmmm, Gloucester Cheese Rolling maybe worth trying.

I had to look that up on the internet. We don't have hills where I live. I want to see your cheese roll render!

edited June 12

Large Hiking Group
    Here's my latest LowPi render, 40 LowPi and 2 G9. I need a better way to make LowPi follow a path. I made a rectangular border area and then tried to block off the path with multiple Masking Markers. That was pretty cumbersome. Something like HedgeMaker would be good. Is there an existing technique?

USC2 Track 03 LowPi Markers for path with crowd of 40_002_Camera 1.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,366

barbult said:

Head for the Hills

A military training exercise in the middle of the desert was interrupted by a lone bison. Maybe he escaped from a zoo.

That is great! I like the bison's dust effect.

If you use LP Direction Markers and LP Droppoint Markers I think you can get the desired effect, but you will still need to mask a bit. 
    But path markers might be a good idea to add in a future release.