LIVE! In the store NOW!! LowPi - the Low Poly Figure, and Crowd Creator Scripts

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,871

And both the charging Bison and the Large hilking group are wonderful renders!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,955

Totte said:

If you use LP Direction Markers and LP Droppoint Markers I think you can get the desired effect, but you will still need to mask a bit. 
    But path markers might be a good idea to add in a future release.

I used  3 direction markers, but not droppoint markers. I'll try that next time and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you put dropppoint markers along the path, in the centre of it,  and set the drop diameter to the width of the path and then place a lot of direction makers it should work. Remember to assure the sum of the droppoint marker's chance it at least 1 (100%) so nothing is dropped in another location.... I think you can safely exceed 1 for the sum, like 10 droppoints each at .11 or something, then every LowPi will drop at a droppoint and as long a direction marker is close by pointing it in the right direction it will "hopefully" line up nicely.

Totte said:

If you put dropppoint markers along the path, in the centre of it,  and set the drop diameter to the width of the path and then place a lot of direction makers it should work. Remember to assure the sum of the droppoint marker's chance it at least 1 (100%) so nothing is dropped in another location.... I think you can safely exceed 1 for the sum, like 10 droppoints each at .11 or something, then every LowPi will drop at a droppoint and as long a direction marker is close by pointing it in the right direction it will "hopefully" line up nicely.

That worked well for 6 LowPi, but it would have been hard to do for my hiking crowd of 40, I think.

6 LowPi Droppoints_Camera 1.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 4M
    edited June 13

Well, this was an interesting result. I increased the size of the droppoints and it generated 4 characters in most of the droppoints. You can see from the overhead screenshot that the groups are spaced far apart, but in the perspective render, I can't even tell that is the case! That really surprised me.

Screenshot 2024-06-12 194331.jpg
    816 x 1056 - 317K
    30 LowPi 6 bigger Droppoints_Camera 1.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited June 13

I did another interesting experiment today. Inspired by the LowPi Skeleton, I made a base res G8F skin wearable for LowPi. I made one with Charlotte 8 skin (pale) and one with Topsy 8 skin (darker). I used Scene Optimizer to reduce the G8F character materials by 4X. Now when I have a LowPi too close to the camera to look reasonable, I can apply my wearable to make it look more real at the expense of some extra geometry and materials. It still retains the morphs and poses of the LowPi. The clothes and hair seemed to still look OK, but the Geoshell clothing like socks, shoes, and skinny jeans had to have their mesh offset increased quite a bit. I guess my wearable was a bit bigger than LowPi by itself.

In the attached render, I added the Charlotte 8 skin wearable to the two LowPi in the front. Look, they have better faces and even have fingers! They are not perfect, and you wouldn't want to render much closer, but it works well enough here, I think. Compare it with the image above, that doesn't have the wearable skin applied.

30 LowPi 6 bigger Droppoints front 2 G8F Character Wearable_Camera 1.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M

Some very interesting experiments @barbult, and glad the LP droppoint experiment worked.
    There are so much potential to do weird things with LowPi, great to see you sharing your findings, that will help others to realize their ideas as well.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,332

Great findings, @barbult

Hope to find some time to experiment with LowPi myself,

after my addiction to UltraScenery 2 will be lower.

edited June 16

I tried a new technique for making LowPi Crowd Generator follow a path. I used HedgeMaker to place some direction markers and some droppoint markers. The I used Instances To Objects on the hedge instances. It worked well. Since I had HedgeMaker fired up, I made a hedge of bushes and another of daisies next to it. The flowers in the center are placed with UltraScatter.

USC2 Hedgemaker LowPi Markers and UltraScatter flowers.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M

barbult said:

I tried a new technique for making LowPi Crowd Generator follow a path. I used HedgeMaker to place some direction markers and some droppoint markers. The I used Instances To Objects on the hedge instances. It worked well. Since I had HedgeMaker fired up, I made a hedge of bushes and another of daisies next to it. The flowers in the center are placed with UltraScatter.

Clever indeed Barbult, combining your tools to get an even better result!

edited June 16

Thanks Totte. You can see that several of the tools I used are ones you created!

I've started experimenting more with the seat markers and the dining poses. I got the cyber flying food truck for $1.73 in the Lightning Deals, so I had to take it for a spin. It must have artificial gravity, because nobody is flying off into space. How they got there in the first place is kind of a mystery. Even Richard is there waiting for food to fall on the floor or someone to give him a bite. One LowPi is wearing the police outfit I recently converted from G2M. It was so dense, I had to decimate it drastically. That LowPi is wearing one of my G8F skin wearables and the LowPi is invisible (a trick I learned from the skeleton). I added some extra props to the scene.

Flying Cyber Food Truck with LowPi Seat Markers 3_Camera 1.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,698
    edited June 16

SauronLivez said:

FeralFey said:

But yeah, we have a Victorian expansion on our list. ;) I can't guarantee when, but it's definitely on the list.

Awesome. I'll be a Day One buyer as soon as it releases! ;)

Just wanted to chime in, I'm also one of those really interested in a historical expansion, and could you please, please make it REAL Victorian and not Steampunk? Because it's really of no use to anyone trying to build historical street scenes if all the ladies appear to be wearing mens' top hats and their corsets on top of their dresses ... ;-) And if there could be more 'normal' people included than grand lords and ladies - like maids shopping, nurses pushing prams, delivery men and such - that would also be so, so wonderful. Thanks for considering!
    And in any case, even with no other expansion ever at all, AWESOME product! I didn't know how cool it really was until I stubbled across this thread, now I'm hooked ;-)

Post edited by tsroemi on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,366

barbult said:

Thanks Totte. You can see that several of the tools I used are ones you created!

I've started experimenting more with the seat markers and the dining poses. I got the cyber flying food truck for $1.73 in the Lightning Deals, so I had to take it for a spin. It must have artificial gravity, because nobody is flying off into space. How they got there in the first place is kind of a mystery. Even Richard is there waiting for food to fall on the floor or someone to give him a bite. One LowPi is wearing the police outfit I recently converted from G2M. It was so dense, I had to decimate it drastically. That LowPi is wearing one of my G8F skin wearables and the LowPi is invisible (a trick I learned from the skeleton). I added some extra props to the scene.

Wow! That is an excellent use and scene.

Great image and scene, @barbult

barbult said:

You've just leveled up in LowPi to epic level!  Great image! 

edited June 18

I bought Secret Ruins today, just because those steps looked like a good place for LowPi skeletons to congregate. Of course I had to throw in a few bats and a black cat. The steps were too low for the sitting poses. The skeleton feet went into the step below the one he was sitting on. I painstakingly reposed each skeleton's legs and feet, only to discover that in the final render, you can't even tell. Oh well.

Secret Ruins LowPi Skeletons Sitting.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 2M
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,403

barbult said:

I bought Secret Ruins today, just because those steps looked like a good place for LowPi skeletons to congregate. Of course I had to throw in a few bats and a black cat. The steps were too low for the sitting poses. The skeleton feet went into the step below the one he was sitting on. I painstakingly reposed each skeleton's legs and feet, only to discover that in the final render, you can't even tell. Oh well.

Great pic! 

edited June 19

Thanks, Leana. smiley
    Here's another Secret Ruins render. Ever since I saw the LowPi umbrellas, I wanted to render a bunch of LowPi people in the rain. Here they are, along with one LowPi skeleton. The two LowPi in the front have my character skin wearable applied, because I don't like to see those mitten hands!

Secret Ruins Iray Storm LowPi Umbrellas.jpg
    2600 x 2000 - 3M

Looks great, @barbult

The hands on LowPi looks a bit strange. Good that you have found solution for that.

Artini said:

Looks great, @barbult

The hands on LowPi looks a bit strange. Good that you have found solution for that.

They are extreme low poly, so they have what Barbult calls "mitten hands".  Wearing a skin like barbult does a a neat trick.

edited June 23

Totte said:

Artini said:

Looks great, @barbult

They are extreme low poly, so they have what Barbult calls "mitten hands".  Wearing a skin like barbult does a a neat trick.

I learned that trick from the Skeletons add on. It works great. I like to use LowPi in closer situations that than it was probably designed for. At a long distance you can't detect "mitten hands".

There is a pose kit called "Silly Walks" that does not work. It references poses that don't seem to exist, like "/People/LM Low Poly Person/Poses/LP Funny Walk 03.duf".
    There are also two pose kits that have very similar names: "Zombiecrowd Walk" and "Zombie Crowd Walking". Do the both belong in the product? If not, which is the correct one to use?

I created a crowd with set "Zombie Walking Hoard". I had a lot of zombies with tights as the only thing on the bottom (no skirt over the tights). It looked incomplete.Tights is part of the Zombie Business Attire wear kit. When I compare the Zombie Business Attire wear kit to the Business Attire wear kit I see that the Business Attire wear kit tights require the Skirt, but the Zombie Business Attire wear kit tights do not require the skirt. Is that an error, or is it intentional that zombies run around in tights without anything over them? I'm not familiar with the zombie genre, so I don't know.

While looking at the Business Attire wear kit, I see that tights are compatible with Masculine, but require the Skirt, which is not compatible with Masculine. What I saw as the result was masculine LowPi in a skirt. So, it doesn't seem right that tights are compatible with Masculine.

barbult said:

I created a crowd with set "Zombie Walking Hoard". I had a lot of zombies with tights as the only thing on the bottom (no skirt over the tights). It looked incomplete.Tights is part of the Zombie Business Attire wear kit. When I compare the Zombie Business Attire wear kit to the Business Attire wear kit I see that the Business Attire wear kit tights require the Skirt, but the Zombie Business Attire wear kit tights do not require the skirt. Is that an error, or is it intentional that zombies run around in tights without anything over them? I'm not familiar with the zombie genre, so I don't know.

While looking at the Business Attire wear kit, I see that tights are compatible with Masculine, but require the Skirt, which is not compatible with Masculine. What I saw as the result was masculine LowPi in a skirt. So, it doesn't seem right that tights are compatible with Masculine.

Yes, I guess those issues are resuls of many iterations of edits and wrong things ended up in the final, I will clean up more and remove leftovers (like silly walks that was part of the manual but for some reason ended up in the final package) 

edited June 25

This is my latest LowPi project. I got the clown outfit free recently, so I converted it to LowPi. Then I used the recent yarn hair for the clown hair. I used the LowPi zombie bloody hands and mouth as inspiration to make geoshells for clown makeup and gloves. I finally investigated the prop kit builder to make the balloon bunch props as a LowPi Prop Kit. Here is my result. It is amazing how fast these LowPi scenes render. This one took 25 seconds.

LowPi Clown Crowd Makeup and Gloves_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
  • butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,213

barbult said:

This is my latest LowPi project. I got the clown outfit free recently, so I converted it to LowPi. Then I used the recent yarn hair for the clown hair. I used the LowPi zombie bloody hands and mouth as inspiration to make geoshells for clown makeup and gloves. I finally investigated the prop kit builder to make the balloon bunch props as a LowPi Prop Kit. Here is my result. It is amazing how fast these LowPi scenes render. This one took 25 seconds.

Wow, that's impressive! 

• Lyrra MadrilLyrra Madril Posts: 276

Lowpi is designed to be no closer than about 15 to 20 feet away from the camera and used in mass quantities - 50 to 200 to fill a scene.

So yes - the mitten hands, lack of eyeballs and so forth are to cut down polycount to make Lowpi useable for the purpose it was made.

I wasnt expecting people to want to crowd Lowpi up against the camera lol  I had kind of figured that people would use g8 or 9 for the closeup, g1 and 2 for medium range and lowpi for the people the other end of the block.

butterflyfish said:

barbult said:

Wow, that's impressive! 

Thanks, butterflyfish. I spent two days working on that clown conversion, adjusting the weightmaps, creating material options, making the makeup, adapting the balloon props, and creating the wear kit, props kit, set, crowd setup, etc.  It was a good learning experience, but I don't know what I'll do with those clowns now that I finished. indecision

Lyrra Madril said:

Lowpi is designed to be no closer than about 15 to 20 feet away from the camera and used in mass quantities - 50 to 200 to fill a scene.

So yes - the mitten hands, lack of eyeballs and so forth are to cut down polycount to make Lowpi useable for the purpose it was made.

I wasnt expecting people to want to crowd Lowpi up against the camera lol  I had kind of figured that people would use g8 or 9 for the closeup, g1 and 2 for medium range and lowpi for the people the other end of the block.

I seldom restrict myself to what a PA had in mind. wink I look at LowPi kind of like UltraScenery - this is a giant ecosystem with huge flexibility and expansion capability - let's see what I can do with it. I understand your logic behind "mitten hands", but I see that I can use LowPi in even more circumstances with a wearable skin with fingers and more face definition. The skeleton taught me the way, and I ran with it. I'm having fun. Don't take my efforts as a criticism of your product.

edited June 25

Great achievements, @barbult

Some automatic tools to convert Genesis 9, 8, 3, 2 and 1 to be used with LowPi would be great to have.

The other option would be to have some more detailed version of LowPi for closer camera view.

Post edited by Artini on