UltraScenery - new territory [Commercial]

Comments

• markusmaternmarkusmatern Posts: 558
    edited May 2021

HeavyRay said:

markusmatern said:

This is one of my latest UltraScenery renders:

I used Features Volume 3, Swamp and a custom map to show more water around the boat and platform. I also used the HF Submerged Item shader on parts of the boat. This darkens the wood near the water line.

A complete list of used assets is in my gallery

re: HF Submerged Item shader
    Could you elaborate a bit more on what this product/item is all about?  It's not listed in your gallery 'Daz products used' and I couldn't find anything at Rendo.

Well done on your image!!

The above mentioned shader is part of UltraScenery and is used in the original set for items like the river stones. They appear darker below a height of about 0 (absolute) in world coordinates.

Here are two images with and without the shader. You can clearly see the darkening/wet effect on the boat:

Using the HF Submerged Item shader

Using the default Iray shader

I copied the shader from some UltraScenery pebbles and changed the diffuse and normal maps.

The original image maps were not changed at all! And furthermore it is always at 0 absolute Y. This means you can move the boat into the water and the darker waterline automagically stays at the water level!

HF_Submerged_Item_shader.jpg
    815 x 815 - 202K
    Iray_shader.jpg
    815 x 815 - 225K
    Post edited by markusmatern on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 24,042

markusmatern said:

HeavyRay said:

markusmatern said:

I used Features Volume 3, Swamp and a custom map to show more water around the boat and platform. I also used the HF Submerged Item shader on parts of the boat. This darkens the wood near the water line.

Could you elaborate a bit more on what this product/item is all about?  It's not listed in your gallery 'Daz products used' and I couldn't find anything at Rendo.

The above mentioned shader is part of UltraScenery and is used in the original set for items like the river stones. They appear darker below a heigt of about 0 (absolute) in world coordinates.

Here are two images with and without the shader. You can clearly see the darkening/wet effect on the boat:

I copied the shader from some UltraScenery pebbles and changed the diffuse and normal maps.

You did a great job with that. 

barbult said:

Thanks, but the true master is Howie Farkes who came up with this magic. At least I assume he is the creator of the shader: H(owie)F(arkes) Submerged Item shader wink

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,595

markusmatern said:

HeavyRay said:

markusmatern said:

The above mentioned shader is part of UltraScenery and is used in the original set for items like the river stones. They appear darker below a height of about 0 (absolute) in world coordinates.

The original image maps were not changed at all! And furthermore it is always at 0 absolute Y. This means you can move the boat into the water and the darker waterline automagically stays at the water level!

This is really cool and makes a huge difference!

I'm wondering if it could be expanded upon to include things like a grungy pattern fading in (as opposed to just a gradient), moss fading in on trees as they approached the ground, etc.

- Greg

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378

DAZ has jumped the gun again, this time with the Pacific Northwest set. Does this mean the actual release is not far away?

https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascenery--pacific-northwest

Cheers,

Alex.

• ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 836

alexhcowley said:

DAZ has jumped the gun again, this time with the Pacific Northwest set. Does this mean the actual release is not far away?

https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascenery--pacific-northwest

Cheers,

Alex.

It's the biggest tease since Bettie Page. cheeky 

• HeavyRayHeavyRay Posts: 175

markusmatern said:

HeavyRay said:

markusmatern said:

I appreciate the quick response on this - Thank You!   - Ray 

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    edited May 2021

markusmatern said:

barbult said:

Thanks, but the true master is Howie Farkes who came up with this magic. At least I assume he is the creator of the shader: H(owie)F(arkes) Submerged Item shader wink

This is awesome.  I was just trying to figure out how to do something like this and here's the answer, already in US.  Thanks for sharing the tip.

Post edited by sandmanmax on
  • UthgardUthgard Posts: 853

The shader is a fantastic solution and I likely would have bought a package with it and the terrain shader ultrascenery uses just on their own merits. Now I wonder, seeing as shaders that compute position properly apply to instances, maybe we could get a shader that modifies the color of surfaces like in this 3Delight product? Reading the description, it's actually more complete than I remembered and also randomizes opacity to add variety to trees by turning on or off selected leaves, so something like it could really help improve the verisimilitude of a scattered scene.

edited May 2021

Uthgard said:

The shader is a fantastic solution and I likely would have bought a package with it and the terrain shader ultrascenery uses just on their own merits. Now I wonder, seeing as shaders that compute position properly apply to instances, maybe we could get a shader that modifies the color of surfaces like in this 3Delight product? Reading the description, it's actually more complete than I remembered and also randomizes opacity to add variety to trees by turning on or off selected leaves, so something like it could really help improve the verisimilitude of a scattered scene.

Oh, yes!!  I've got that product and would love to have a way use it in US.

EDIT: I just tried it in Iray and it has no affect at all.  sad  And I also put in a request in Product Suggestions for an Iray version.

Thank you, I never think about posting on that part of the forum, but an updated version from DimensionTheory would be ideal.

Uthgard said:

Thank you, I never think about posting on that part of the forum, but an updated version from DimensionTheory would be ideal.

Maybe if all the US users marked it +1, we'd get some attention.  wink

Copy that laugh

I started painting my own custom maps tailored to buildings. This is one of my first results:

All the used maps are custom draw or combinations/modifications of existing ones (mainly the road stuff).

The vegetation is Woodland05 from the original UltraScenery package.

See a complete list of assets used in my gallery.

This is fantastic.

It sure is. One of the best!
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,046

Love it. Beauty alone is wonderful, but the skill just amazes.

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,382
    edited May 2021

There's nothing particularly clever about this image, I am merely posting it because I like it A LOT and LOVE how easy it was to create using UltraScenery in DAZ Studio. Boggles the mind compared to how hard it used to be to use some of Mr. Farkes' nature products in Carrara - mostly just bogged down computer systems, but it was rough.  Today, I can fire up UltraScenery and in MINUTES have something wonderful to enjoy, like this scene.  I am as grateful today as I was the day UltraScenery first came out. THANKS again, and again and again, Howie Farkes! 

DS_Pine_Forest_and_Meadow_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    3440 x 1440 - 2M
    Post edited by Gogger on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,131

This is still a work in progress as I try to get the lightning bugs tamed a bit. Lighting is the Orestes Iray HDRI Skydomes - Sunrise number 4, and the subject is Ravi Speedboat. Ultrascenery Waterway 6, Oaks 01 with Oaks suppressed, and Basic Water.

ravi boat twilight 2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

I was looking for lightning bugs a few weeks ago w/o luck, so thanx for that link.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,131

Doc Acme said:

I was looking for lightning bugs a few weeks ago w/o luck, so thanx for that link.

They're a bit of a pain to use - I've got two of the 20 bug groups in there and I'm working at getting the lighting from them more realistic. The problem is going from the 2-D render to the 3-D layout and finding the individual bugs. FWIW, that set is the only lightning bug I found when I was looking.

• Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,578

I just noticed that today an update to US - Country Ford and to the US base package showed up in DIM, package date 2021-05-24. Given the last of these updates by Daz did mess up the application quite a bit, I am just asking if this is "official", i.e. @TangoAlpha and/or @HowieFarkes approved.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,046

I have used US without issue already this morning after installation of both updates. I haven't rendered the scene yet.

The Country Ford update was to correct the missing fish and the incorrect feature preview. I don't know what changed in the main UltraScenery program, but it has a new version number now, so I believe it was a real and intentional update, not a Daz mistake. I ran a couple test builds, and they look OK.

USC Country Ford 1 Mossy Hollow 3 Blue Lake.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    USC Country Ford 2 Country Ford 3 Clear Stream.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M

barbult said:

The Country Ford update was to correct the missing fish and the incorrect feature preview. I don't know what changed in the main UltraScenery program, but it has a new version number now, so I believe it was a real and intentional update, not a Daz mistake. I ran a couple test builds, and they look OK.

YAYYY! I need to go get in the water and shoot me some FISH! WOOHOO!
  • Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,578

Thanks a lot @memcneil70 and @barbult. Now I need to get the fishing rod and a can of worms laugh.

• Gogger said:

barbult said:

Hmmmm....  I wonder if it would be more sporting if the fish could shoot back.  :D 

nomad-ads_8ecd56922e said:

Gogger said:

barbult said:

Hmmmm....  I wonder if it would be more sporting if the fish could shoot back.  :D 

Well, with some greeble-grafting I suppose they could! HA HA!
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

Gogger said:

There's nothing particularly clever about this image, I am merely posting it because I like it A LOT and LOVE how easy it was to create using UltraScenery in DAZ Studio. Boggles the mind compared to how hard it used to be to use some of Mr. Farkes' nature products in Carrara - mostly just bogged down computer systems, but it was rough.  Today, I can fire up UltraScenery and in MINUTES have something wonderful to enjoy, like this scene.  I am as grateful today as I was the day UltraScenery first came out. THANKS again, and again and again, Howie Farkes!

Agreed!  US never ceases to amaze!

edited May 2021

I've been obsessed with trying to include the Albert Mansion in an UltraScene and finally got it to play nice with the Wasteland.  It's the Wetland 2 feature with the boardwalk removed and replaced with the AM wrecked one.  The ecology is Wasteland 3, Water is Brackish Pond.  All plants are included.  The trees and shrubs are all from the AM set, but repositioned a bit. The whole set was moved back so the US is the front "flood".  Sky is Orestes Cloudy-Brooding 2 with one of the Dimension Theory's Skies of Economy matte fog settings (light blue/white).  I cleaned up all the cult graffiti and ditched the skulls and stuff so it's just a nice, old abandonned house.

Albert Mansion Wasteland Web.png
    825 x 550 - 694K
This discussion has been closed.