• Norman_RNorman_R Posts: 95
    edited September 2021
    000818.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 6M
    Post edited by Norman_R on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 24,034

Norman_R said:

Barbult So I have that. https://www.daz3d.com/iray-alligator-by-am

I'm picky. winkToo much body is above the water all along his length. It looks like he is standing in shallow water instead of floating. In the front, only his nostrils should be visible, barely above the water. You might get close if you lower the whole gator. I like your image composition, though!

Here is where I tried to add alligators, but I didn't post it, because they just don't look right to me. frown

USC Swamp Hut_001_Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
  • barbult said:

Norman_R said:

I'm picky. winkToo much body is above the water all along his length. It looks like he is standing in shallow water instead of floating. In the front, only his nostrils should be visible, barely above the water. You might get close if you lower the whole gator. I like your image composition, though!

Yes, I know it doesn't look good. Was only intended as an example for the alligator.

Norman_R said:

barbult said:

Norman_R said:

Yes, I know it doesn't look good. Was only intended as an example for the alligator.

Ah, yes. That is the alligator product I bought more recently to get Iray materials. It is the one I used in my image, too.

edited September 2021

I pushed and pulled some polygons with Mesh Grabber to get closer to what I want to see with my Alligator.

USC Swamp Alligator Mod.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,829

cant the alligator be lowered to only show what you want, and with some rotation? 

daveso-confused said:

cant the alligator be lowered to only show what you want, and with some rotation? 

That didn't work for me. The shape was not what I wanted. For example, the back was too domed.

edited September 2021

Here is my new alligator render, inspired by the photo of the gator in the duckeweed.

USC Swamp Alligator Mod Duckweed_004_Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    2010-12-31 DSC_5592.jpg
    3872 x 2592 - 1M
  • Leads to a varient on the 5yo child's joke question of 'Q) What's Yellow and Dangerous? A) Shark infested Custard' with 'Q) What's Green and Dangerous? A) Barbult's Bayou'.

That really is so real. Amazing. And if I ever go to Florida (which is unlikely due to heat & humidity being utterly hateful - now Alaska, that's simply gorgeous) I will assume all bits of water have the same properties as Barbult's Bayou.

Regards,

Richard

I messed around with the alligator a bit and realized then what you are saying Barbult. It is possible to bend the body, but still not quite in right direction. It also is one huge model, so cannot do much, BUT, if someopne knows how to use the geometry editor, I bet it possible to flatted that body a bit. 
    Here's my quick shot at it...yes, the body still too high. 

alligator1.png
    1800 x 1440 - 5M

daveso-confused said:

I messed around with the alligator a bit and realized then what you are saying Barbult. It is possible to bend the body, but still not quite in right direction. It also is one huge model, so cannot do much, BUT, if someopne knows how to use the geometry editor, I bet it possible to flatted that body a bit. 

It looks better than the original. I used Mesh Grabber to flatten it out some.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Well frankly, ANYTHING under the water & moving is a cue for me to beat feet!  Just as well. Neighbor was telling what his motion detecting IR camera was catching.

I bet you could play around some with instancing of duckweed on the critter's head though so it'd be more controllable covered.

Did have a question or two.  AM's 'Gator is rigged, but the jaw only drops whereas the older Croc only has poses for any mouth activity.  I thought either could only raise their jaws.  Myth? Misinformation?  Modeling/rigging error, or just need to pose more with the head & neck?

Gator vs Croc.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 328K
    edited September 2021

Doc Acme said:

Well frankly, ANYTHING under the water & moving is a cue for me to beat feet!  Just as well. Neighbor was telling what his motion detecting IR camera was catching.

I bet you could play around some with instancing of duckweed on the critter's head though so it'd be more controllable covered.

Did have a question or two.  AM's 'Gator is rigged, but the jaw only drops whereas the older Croc only has poses for any mouth activity.  I thought either could only raise their jaws.  Myth? Misinformation?  Modeling/rigging error, or just need to pose more with the head & neck?

AMs alligator only moves its lower jaw open. That is how real alligators do it as well.  

all open mouth.png
    1800 x 1440 - 775K
    Post edited by daveso on

Thanks for the verification.  Couldn't imagine Allessandro missing something like that.

• barbult said:

daveso-confused said:

On the ones without the duckweed, it seems a little more specularity would help, too.  They didn't seem as "wet" as your photos. I'm having similar annoyances with all the dragons.  They just weren't built for dragon-in-your-face panic attacks.

edited September 2021

sandmanmax said:

barbult said:

daveso-confused said:

On the ones without the duckweed, it seems a little more specularity would help, too.  They didn't seem as "wet" as your photos. I'm having similar annoyances with all the dragons.  They just weren't built for dragon-in-your-face panic attacks.

Could be. Thanks for the observation. I see what you mean. I lit with an HJDRI. Maybe I need to add a photometric light.

edited September 2021

I tried to improve the specularity of the alligator with a wet geometry shell. Comments??? Suggestions???

I scattered some water plants on the surface with UltraScatterPro.

USC Swamp Alligator Mod wet shell.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M

At Sea HDR's

Thought I'd ask here first & see where that leads.  Some time back I bought the "Above The Clouds" HDR series and have used them much more than I thought I would frankly. I'd like to find a series like that, but Out at Sea.  I went back to the Clouds site but nothing like that there.  Broadened a Google search some but still no luck.  Maybe something like that needs a rock solid base, but in this day & age of drones & milli-gnathair precision, I'm thinking something like that just might exist.

Anyone hear of anything like this? Hmmm. Maybe I'll have to run this by a relative who's drone certified & lives in Port Angeles.

• Doc Acme said:

At Sea HDR's

Thought I'd ask here first & see where that leads.  Some time back I bought the "Above The Clouds" HDR series and have used them much more than I thought I would frankly. I'd like to find a series like that, but Out at Sea.  I went back to the Clouds site but nothing like that there.  Broadened a Google search some but still no luck.  Maybe something like that needs a rock solid base, but in this day & age of drones & milli-gnathair precision, I'm thinking something like that just might exist.

Anyone hear of anything like this? Hmmm. Maybe I'll have to run this by a relative who's drone certified & lives in Port Angeles.

Hey Doc, I am not really farmilier with Above the Clouds so went and took a look. After having a hunt round the store the one thing I could thnk of was to cheack out some of Flipmode's sets https://www.daz3d.com/flipmode from memory there is atlest one sea set and maybe others too. 

Hmm, not quite what I'm looking for, but it's not urgent. Just one of those things I happened to notice:  Sky, Land, but no Sea in isolated shots. Might have to whang something together in HDRLightStudio perhaps.

• No worries, if I see anything I'll sing out

• DreamWeeverDreamWeever Posts: 175
    edited September 2021

Double post

Post edited by DreamWeever on
  • barbult said:

I tried to improve the specularity of the alligator with a wet geometry shell. Comments??? Suggestions???

Going by your cloudy sky, maybe a bit too shiny? This one appears to have similar lighting.

• No signal (trying to get hold of a breakdown company)

I just removed the grasses and some plants to make a clearing for a car park.

barbult said:

Going by your cloudy sky, maybe a bit too shiny? This one appears to have similar lighting.

Your link doesn't seem to work for me.
  • Doc Acme said:

At Sea HDR's

Perhaps some products at rendo would fit. There is a a "Lonely Ocean Island" HDR from scienceartnature, featuring an ocean with a beach. And two HDR sets from JeffersonAF titled "Skydome Oceans" and "Skydome Oceans 2". Both are basically just ocean and sky, but rae intended for Bryce (images in JPG format, though).

• DoctorJellybean said:

barbult said:

Your link doesn't seem to work for me.

Grrrr .....

https://static.onecms.io/wp-content/uploads/sites/20/2021/08/31/alligator.jpg

And now I can clearly see why the rounded back is bugging you.  Have you tried using Mesh Grabber?

This discussion has been closed.