UltraScenery - new territory [Commercial]

Comments

• Marty3DMarty3D Posts: 33

Thanks smaker1. :D

I did a test yesterday with that, created scene with Octane disabled, saved scene, re enabled Octane, restarted DAZ3D and the scene loaded fine and into Octane after.

Which begs the question, if Octane works without the accelerator and hangs/crashes with accelerator, which part is locking up DAZ3D?

Is it the instance creation or the material population/creation in Octane list? I might have a play with some Octane settings and see if any part of that could be ammended to allow it to work.

It was just a suggestion about a mention ' :NB. - Octane Render can cause compatability issues with Accelerator installed' on the DAZ3D store page. I obviously realise nobody can take into account 3rd party plugins/installs. Just an idea.

• smaker1smaker1 Posts: 278

Marty3D said:

Thanks smaker1. :D

I did a test yesterday with that, created scene with Octane disabled, saved scene, re enabled Octane, restarted DAZ3D and the scene loaded fine and into Octane after.

Which begs the question, if Octane works without the accelerator and hangs/crashes with accelerator, which part is locking up DAZ3D?

Is it the instance creation or the material population/creation in Octane list? I might have a play with some Octane settings and see if any part of that could be ammended to allow it to work.

It was just a suggestion about a mention ' :NB. - Octane Render can cause compatability issues with Accelerator installed' on the DAZ3D store page. I obviously realise nobody can take into account 3rd party plugins/installs. Just an idea.

Yup: may be the Accelerator and Octane plug have trouble working together (the number of nodes to be generated is also impressive! ). May be the DS4 log give some information but that is far above my level of knowledge :-) !  I don't see which Octane setting could resolve the problem but if you find one: I'm interested !

• barbult said:

I used UltraScenery for the lawn and UltraScatterPro Matrix mode for the corn fields.

And I was JUST thinking about cornfields on the way home today...

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,033

sandmanmax said:

barbult said:

I used UltraScenery for the lawn and UltraScatterPro Matrix mode for the corn fields.

And I was JUST thinking about cornfields on the way home today...

I grew up in Iowa. This looks like home. 

• In homage to all the rain we had last week - one was done in DS and one in Photoshop. I'm not telling which is which - what do you think?

Rain 1.png
    1300 x 731 - 2M
    Rain 2.png
    1300 x 731 - 2M
  • sandmanmax said:

In homage to all the rain we had last week - one was done in DS and one in Photoshop. I'm not telling which is which - what do you think?

I'm tempted to say the one on the left is PhotoShop.

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    edited October 2021

DoctorJellybean said:

sandmanmax said:

In homage to all the rain we had last week - one was done in DS and one in Photoshop. I'm not telling which is which - what do you think?

I'm tempted to say the one on the left is PhotoShop.

Correct in one.  There's just something perceptibly different about it - maybe depth of rain, maybe the light hits it throughout the whole image.  I wasn't sure if I was really seeing it or not. And I'm not sure if I would really believe it's rain.  It was done with Instant Rain.

Post edited by sandmanmax on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,162

I have a question.

I would like very much to organize my messy, messy content folders (DIM's doing, not mine...lol). I know never to touch the data folder or the runtime folder, but if I move the files in the prop folders, will I mess up the US script? I'm thinking maybe the plant props and what not have to stay where they are? If anyone can answer this for me, it will be greatly appreciated. I'm so tired of rooting thru vanity folders and sub folders to get to what I really want. Even with my own freebies. LOL

Laurie

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,379

AllenArt said:

I have a question.

I would like very much to organize my messy, messy content folders (DIM's doing, not mine...lol). I know never to touch the data folder or the runtime folder, but if I move the files in the prop folders, will I mess up the US script? I'm thinking maybe the plant props and what not have to stay where they are? If anyone can answer this for me, it will be greatly appreciated. I'm so tired of rooting thru vanity folders and sub folders to get to what I really want. Even with my own freebies. LOL

Laurie

I struggle with finding things in misspelled folders, folders that completely missed the mark and gazillions upon gazillions of folders - then this product came along and brought some sense of control and sanity without messing up my content: ManFriday's Content Bookmarks. You won't be sorry!

Gogger said:

AllenArt said:

I have a question.

Laurie

I struggle with finding things in misspelled folders, folders that completely missed the mark and gazillions upon gazillions of folders - then this product came along and brought some sense of control and sanity without messing up my content: ManFriday's Content Bookmarks. You won't be sorry!

I have that, but that's not really what I'm after ;). I want to pull all the products out of their vanity folders and have just the item's folder in the root of the type they belong to like: Genesis 8 Male/Clothing/Jumpsuit/Jumpsuit.duf rather than Genesis 8 Male/Clothing/Laurie's Duds/Jumpsuit/Jumpsuit.duf. Some stuff I want to move entirely, like props where they belong (Plants, Vehicles, Aircraft, etc) and ALL my Sets in the same place rather than some in Environments/Landscapes, some in Environments/Architecture, some in props, some god-knows-where ;). I just wanna make sure I don't bugger up anything with the US script in doing any of that ;). I dunno if the script looks in the data folders for what it needs or the actual content folders and I need to know that before I touch anything. I think ManFriday's product is great if you're working on a scene and need to bookmark some stuff to go back to often, but not for an entire, huge content library. Yes, I know I can use Categories, but honestly, I can't get those to work the way I want either. :P

Thank you though. At least you reminded me of something that I forgot I had...lol. I have WAY too much stuff ;)

• AllenArt said:

Gogger said:

AllenArt said:

I have a question.

Laurie

I have that, but that's not really what I'm after ;). I want to pull all the products out of their vanity folders and have just the item's folder in the root of the type they belong to like: Genesis 8 Male/Clothing/Jumpsuit/Jumpsuit.duf rather than Genesis 8 Male/Clothing/Laurie's Duds/Jumpsuit/Jumpsuit.duf. Some stuff I want to move entirely, like props where they belong (Plants, Vehicles, Aircraft, etc) and ALL my Sets in the same place rather than some in Environments/Landscapes, some in Environments/Architecture, some in props, some god-knows-where ;). I just wanna make sure I don't bugger up anything with the US script in doing any of that ;). I dunno if the script looks in the data folders for what it needs or the actual content folders and I need to know that before I touch anything. I think ManFriday's product is great if you're working on a scene and need to bookmark some stuff to go back to often, but not for an entire, huge content library. Yes, I know I can use Categories, but honestly, I can't get those to work the way I want either. :P

Thank you though. At least you reminded me of something that I forgot I had...lol. I have WAY too much stuff ;)

I have a custome set up, like what you are wanting to do, and when I got US I did find that I had to put somethings back to the way they were packed but it wasn't hard. I just looked at the file path US was looking along and put the missing folders back. Actually now I think about it I think all I had to do was pull my Environments folder out of the Props folder and put back in the Content folder. Might have had to put some vanity folders back but it wasn't much.

So yes US dose look in the content foldes not data for what it needs, yes you can have a custom content folder set up if you are willing to do a bit of try and replacing. Worst case is if you move something and US can't find it any more just pop it back where US is looking for it.

If you are really worried just move things that might be used by US one at a time and run US in between each on to check it can still find them and if not pop it back. Bit of naffing about but will get you where you want in the end  

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793
    edited October 2021

I am pretty sure it has been said in one of the US threads that you HAVE to keep the user facing files where they were originally DIMmed.

I am in the middle of my own reorganization, doing exactly what my kindred spirit AllenArt is doing, but I feel, for the time being, I might have to leave all the Flora assets, and other US accessible assets alone.

Maybe, just maybe, in the future releases of US, there will be a way for us to tell US where it should look for assests e.g. Environments/Flora/Grass/greatgrass/, instead of having to go to the default "Enviro-met/ImagreatPA/whywasthisplacedhere/couldpossiblybeusedasaUSasset/ - folder.

Post edited by Chumly on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,785

I keep UltraScenery and related assets in its own separate runtime, so it isn't bothered by me customising everything (and yes, that means some trees, etc are installed twice).

• You can leave the files where they are and, by copy/paste inside Daz Studio, create links in the desired location - you could even use a separate content diectory for this, and leave the one with the original files closed in DS. That way you don't run much risk of updates messing things up, and anything that points to the files in their original location will still work.

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    edited October 2021

AllenArt said:

I have a question.

Laurie

Unfortunately, UltraScenery is VERY unforgiving about moving things.  For the most part, I've discovered that if a product is used in a US Ecology (aka Tango Alpha, Andrey Pestryakov), moving it will break US.  I have successully moved unrelated plants (such as Martin J Frost, Lisa's Botanicals) into a Plants folder in Landscapes.  If you really want to live dangerously, though, you could create hard-link clones and copy the unmoveable products to another folder.  This would give you a useable set of files while leaving the orignals in place for US.

EDIT:  After reading Richard's answer, I do want to state that I have NO idea whether a hard-link clone is actually any different that just copy and paste, like he recommended.  I kind of have this vague idea that it's supposed to only create a file-system reference back to the original files, rather than physically copying them, thus saving disk space. But either one would work.

Post edited by sandmanmax on
  • sandmanmax said:

AllenArt said:

I have a question.

Laurie

Unfortunately, UltraScenery is VERY unforgiving about moving things.  For the most part, I've discovered that if a product is used in a US Ecology (aka Tango Alpha, Andrey Pestryakov), moving it will break US.  I have successully moved unrelated plants (such as Martin J Frost, Lisa's Botanicals) into a Plants folder in Landscapes.  If you really want to live dangerously, though, you could create hard-link clones and copy the unmoveable products to another folder.  This would give you a useable set of files while leaving the orignals in place for US.

EDIT:  After reading Richard's answer, I do want to state that I have NO idea whether a hard-link clone is actually any different that just copy and paste, like he recommended.  I kind of have this vague idea that it's supposed to only create a file-system reference back to the original files, rather than physically copying them, thus saving disk space. But either one would work.

The method I suggest just creates a .djl file in the destination folder, which is little more than a pointer to the original - DS treats it as the original for most purposes. It's just a regular file, though, and can be backed up and restored like any other.

edited October 2021

I think I may just take Nath's advice and set up a content folder JUST for US and leave things go where they may in it ;). Sounds like the path of least resistance. LOL

Thanks so much everyone. You've all been so helpful :)

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • Richard Haseltine said:

sandmanmax said:

AllenArt said:

I have a question.

Laurie

The method I suggest just creates a .djl file in the destination folder, which is little more than a pointer to the original - DS treats it as the original for most purposes. It's just a regular file, though, and can be backed up and restored like any other.

[head smack]  Why didn't I know I could do this???  I really need to spend more timing learning what DS can do.  Thanks, Richard.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,825
    edited October 2021

there is a sign in my scene that comes from Tango Alpha for USC ... it says "Try Your Brakes" I changed the texture on the sign to read "To Beach" ... the sign itself will not change to to beach, even though it says it is within surfaces tab, so the image/texture must be coming from somewhere else. 

Not sure where or how its flagged to the sign. 

This is the directory address: D:\DAZ 3D\Studio\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Textures\TangoAlpha\CF

try your brakes.jpg
    2554 x 1070 - 904K
    Post edited by daveso on
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

How did you edit the image?  I took the original into PS then saved it out put it in Base Color under the Sign surfaces.

Daventaki said:

How did you edit the image?  I took the original into PS then saved it out put it in Base Color under the Sign surfaces.

exactly that except in PSP 2020.  

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378

daveso said:

there is a sign in my scene that comes from Tango Alpha for USC ... it says "Try Your Brakes" I changed the texture on the sign to read "To Beach" ... the sign itself will not change to to beach, even though it says it is within surfaces tab, so the image/texture must be coming from somewhere else. 

Not sure where or how its flagged to the sign. 

This is the directory address: D:\DAZ 3D\Studio\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Textures\TangoAlpha\CF

This reminds me of something I saw on BBC News 24 a few years ago.  A 50 mph speed limit sign, just before a flooded section of road!

Cheers,

Alex. 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,352

Did you edit the image with DS still open? If so you need to give the image a different name, or reload the image from source by pressing cntrl-I (although this does not always work). Alternatively, restart Daz Studio.

Havos said:

Did you edit the image with DS still open? If so you need to give the image a different name, or reload the image from source by pressing cntrl-I (although this does not always work). Alternatively, restart Daz Studio.

thanks. i will try it again on the rerun episode.  

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,033
    edited November 2021

I needed a break from reality. I used Alienator Pro on a Swamp ecology.

BV Alien from Swamp 5 Wetland 2_BCam River E.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    BV Alien from Swamp 5 Wetland 2_BCam River CN.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 3M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378

barbult said:

I needed a break from reality. I used Alienator Pro on a Swamp ecology.

This reminds me of the Beatles movie "Yellow Submarine", dialled up to supermax.

Cheers,

Alex. 

• UthgardUthgard Posts: 853

Absolutely gorgeous, and somehow believable in the organic placement of each plant. Great use of both tools, as usual.

• It would be so nice and helpful if someone could update the list, please. I think some parts are missing:

Pacific Northwest / Landscape Features Vol.3 ? / Country Ford / Swamp ? / Stone Features / maybe more - I've unfortunately lost track...

This whole USC universe is so wonderful and well done. I even went without reinstalling VUE on my new PC. I'm very curious what is still to come. Thanks to all involved!

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084

Enchanted April said:

It would be so nice and helpful if someone could update the list, please. I think some parts are missing:

Pacific Northwest / Landscape Features Vol.3 ? / Country Ford / Swamp ? / Stone Features / maybe more - I've unfortunately lost track...

This whole USC universe is so wonderful and well done. I even went without reinstalling VUE on my new PC. I'm very curious what is still to come. Thanks to all involved!

I never thought I'd be able to ditch Vue, but with USC it became a reality. Done with the constant upgrades and crashes. Thank goodness and good riddance!

• Enchanted April said:

It would be so nice and helpful if someone could update the list, please. I think some parts are missing:

I have updated the first post in this thread so the list should now include every product related to UltraScenery :)
This discussion has been closed.