UltraScenery - new territory [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,028

daveso said:

barbult said:

pighelmet said:

@barbult I appreciate your help and patience. I reinstalled all my Daz Studio content overnight and everything is still functioning (see attached image). So great to have USC back. I did not realize how much I relied on it to get atmospheric scenes. I will stick to DIM from now on.

@daveso Thank you for the steer toward Revo. I'm still in the trial period but will certainly buy the license.

Thank you for letting us know that all is well in the end, and the for kind words. I like to see peolple enjoying UltraScenery, since I like it so much.

its almost as good as sliced bread 

Maybe better; sliced bread is fattening. wink

• ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279

Is there going to be an update to fix the black stones? I have no idea what to do to fix this. Ultrascenery is useless to me right now. Blackness surrounds all water.

Connatic said:

Is there going to be an update to fix the black stones? I have no idea what to do to fix this. Ultrascenery is useless to me right now. Blackness surrounds all water.

Black stones is not a universal problem. We need to figure out what is different about your configuration.

What version of Daz Studio are you using and what version of UltraScenery are you using (look on the Build tab)? Are you using the accelerator? If so, what version? Is the problem limited to a particular ecology or all ecologies?

Here is a render I did just now with DS 4.20.0.6 Public Beta, UltraScenery 1.3.3.1, and Accelerator 1.0.2.4, Harpwood 1 Ecology, and Bridge 1 Feature.

Screenshot 2022-03-13 160638.jpg
    802 x 617 - 66K
    USC No black stones.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M

I have Studio 4.20.0.2 Ultrascenery 1.3.3.1 and Acellerator 1.0.2.4 and I have added the nvidia 1.7.0 vMaterials. I have only noticed this since update to Studio. I will get the latest Beta and see how that works.

edited March 2022

Connatic said:

I have Studio 4.20.0.2 Ultrascenery 1.3.3.1 and Acellerator 1.0.2.4 and I have added the nvidia 1.7.0 vMaterials. I have only noticed this since update to Studio. I will get the latest Beta and see how that works.

People have reported incompatibilities between nvidia 1.7.0 vMaterials and DS 4.20. That may be your problem. Try removing nvidia 1.7.0 vMaterials and see if that resolves the problem. You may need to use nvidia 2.0 vMaterials instead with the current version of Iray. I currently do not have any version of nvidia vMaterials installed.

Post edited by barbult on

I updated Beta and now everything seems to be working correctly using it. I made a few new scenes and also opened files I was working on. Stones and rocks by the water look as they should. Thanks for the help!

I love UltraScenery and have added most of the support products for it. It is a great tool.

Connatic said:

I updated Beta and now everything seems to be working correctly using it. I made a few new scenes and also opened files I was working on. Stones and rocks by the water look as they should. Thanks for the help!

I love UltraScenery and have added most of the support products for it. It is a great tool.

Did you have to remove or update the nvidia  vMaterials, or is it working in the beta with nvidia 1.7.0 vMaterials installed? Or did you even install nvidia vMaterials into the beta? 

barbult said:

Connatic said:

Did you have to remove or update the nvidia  vMaterials, or is it working in the beta with nvidia 1.7.0 vMaterials installed? Or did you even install nvidia vMaterials into the beta? 

I did not uninstall the vMaterials 1.7.   I did not add them to the Beta. I did not know that they needed to be added to both. I need to learn more about them.

• Connatic said:

barbult said:

Connatic said:

I did not uninstall the vMaterials 1.7.   I did not add them to the Beta. I did not know that they needed to be added to both. I need to learn more about them.

NVIDIA vMaterials is complimentary, it is not a requirement. However, if you do use it, install v2.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,022

The issue with vmaterials depended on the version of Daz Studio, prior to 4.16 the problem was with the version of the Nvidia Materials Exchange that came with vMaterials v2.0.. And you had to go back to the Materials Exchange that came with vmaterials 1.70 to stop the weird rendering issue.. However after Studio 4.16 and up the reverse happened, and you had to reinstall the Materials Exchange that came with vMaterials v2.0 to stop the rendering weirdness with certain products..

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992

barbult said:

TIP The camera headlamp can help make the UltraScenery terrain more visible in the Texture Shaded viewport preview. I listed my preferred headlamp settings here. Remember to turn the headlamp off before rendering. Also, in Render Settings, General section, I always set Auto Headlamp set to Never. I don't want this birght headlamp in my render.

Can't you just set the render to use Dome Only?

sandmanmax said:

barbult said:

TIP The camera headlamp can help make the UltraScenery terrain more visible in the Texture Shaded viewport preview. I listed my preferred headlamp settings here. Remember to turn the headlamp off before rendering. Also, in Render Settings, General section, I always set Auto Headlamp set to Never. I don't want this birght headlamp in my render.

To keep the headlamp from being used in the render? - probably. I'm not a headlamp expert at all. I'm not sure how all those settings play together. Thanks for adding this suggestion.

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992

barbult said:

sandmanmax said:

barbult said:

To keep the headlamp from being used in the render? - probably. I'm not a headlamp expert at all. I'm not sure how all those settings play together. Thanks for adding this suggestion.

I guess the downside would be if you really wanted to have some scene lights.  I hardly ever use them with USC so using Dome Only works in this case.  And you can also set Auto Headlamp for each camera too, in case you have a special Render Cam.  Lots of options... smiley

• Greetings all,

I was using UltraScenery perfectly fine for a while. However, I recently uninstalled and reinstalled Daz studio along with all my content and now US freezes or lags to the point of being unuseable. I am wondering if this is related to reinstalling all my content, or to the recent Daz updates?

I have a RTX 3090, and am already aware of the following suggested workarounds: setting optimization settings to "memory" and making sure Iray is not on in the preview viewport. Before I reinstalled everything, setting optimization to "memory" solved my issue, however that is no longer the case.

Also: I have checked all my hardware and all my drivers are up to date.

Is anyone aware of what might be causing the freezing issues? Thanks in advance!

TheSolitaryMystic said:

Greetings all,

I was using UltraScenery perfectly fine for a while. However, I recently uninstalled and reinstalled Daz studio along with all my content and now US freezes or lags to the point of being unuseable. I am wondering if this is related to reinstalling all my content, or to the recent Daz updates?

I have a RTX 3090, and am already aware of the following suggested workarounds: setting optimization settings to "memory" and making sure Iray is not on in the preview viewport. Before I reinstalled everything, setting optimization to "memory" solved my issue, however that is no longer the case.

Is anyone aware of what might be causing the freezing issues? Thanks in advance!

The very first posting in this thread has some trouble shooting tips. Please check and see if any of those suggestions apply to your situation - e.g. having Octane Render installed has been reported as a source of problems.

• barbult said:

TheSolitaryMystic said:

Greetings all,

The very first posting in this thread has some trouble shooting tips. Please check and see if any of those suggestions apply to your situation - e.g. having Octane Render installed has been reported as a source of problems.

Thanks for the tip. I should have mentioned that I did take a look at the first post in the thread and that unfortunately the method of install as well as removing octane also do not resolve the issue. The first time that I used US I installed through Daz Central and it worked perfectly fine after setting optimization to memory, but unfortunately I am not having any such luck this go around. I am a huge fan of this product and would love to know if anyone else is having these same issues over the past few weeks or if this is just an anomaly on my end?

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 738

Be sure you are using the Studio drivers, If I recall i had a similar problem when i got my RTX360 12GB. I had to remove my other GPU in order for the correct drivers to be installed on the RTX360.

I went back to 472.84 to get studio working properly. Also be sure to set rendering to GPU only. With the faster cards somehow GPU+ CPU combo slows doen the render sometimes.

• edited March 2022

Tugpsx said:

Be sure you are using the Studio drivers, If I recall i had a similar problem when i got my RTX360 12GB. I had to remove my other GPU in order for the correct drivers to be installed on the RTX360.

I went back to 472.84 to get studio working properly. Also be sure to set rendering to GPU only. With the faster cards somehow GPU+ CPU combo slows doen the render sometimes.

Thanks for the tip on the unchecking the CPU and switching to studio drivers. I went ahead and tried those and unfortunately it hasn't really solved the issue.

I am able to navigate the scene if I hide most of the instances (which still seem to be generating at a crazy high leve still). However, just a few weeks ago that wasn't necessary and i could navigate the scene immediately after it was built without hiding anything. 

Edit: Tech support helped me figure out the solution to my issue. Apparently having viewport set to filament was the problem. Changing it to "texture shaded" has resolved my issue.

Post edited by TheSolitaryMystic on

TheSolitaryMystic said:

Tugpsx said:

Thanks for the tip on the unchecking the CPU and switching to studio drivers. I went ahead and tried those and unfortunately it hasn't really solved the issue.

I am able to navigate the scene if I hide most of the instances (which still seem to be generating at a crazy high leve still). However, just a few weeks ago that wasn't necessary and i could navigate the scene immediately after it was built without hiding anything. 

frownSorry we haven't been able to help yet. Maybe digging deeper into the details would give some clues.

• What ecology are you using?
    • What feature are you using?
    • Are you using a height map in the Scene tab or just noise?
    • What viewport drawstyle are you using when you are navigating? (Texture Shaded, Filament, etc. I believe you said you are not using Iray Preview)
    • Do you have an Aux Viewport pane open in Iray Preview mode, even if your main viewport is not in Iray Preview?
    • You should be seeing just the terrain and the tree proxies in the viewport. Do you see actual instances?
    • Do you have other elements in your scene (figures, props, etc.)

Some screenshots of the viewport and the Scene pane showing how many instances are being generated might help.

Attach a sample scene (duf file) that you have built so other people can try it and see if there is something strange happening to them, with that scene, too.

I've been playing with UltraScenery and the new decal product Ground Decal Materials. I posted some images and techniques in my thread. I like the ground decals. They can add extra variety to UltraScenery renders.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,971

Is there an easy way to add an ecology such that the script picks it up as an option?

I'm sure it's been mentioned at some point over the last few hundred posts, but... ;)

edited March 2022

Oso3D said:

Is there an easy way to add an ecology such that the script picks it up as an option?

I'm sure it's been mentioned at some point over the last few hundred posts, but... ;)

For the script to see an ecology, the ecology folder needs to be placed in the same folder as the other UltraScenery ecologies and have all the supporting files like preview, thumbnail, and material.

• Do you mean you want to create your own ecology with plants you choose? I discuss that in my experiments thread. It requires editing JSON files with a text editor.
    • Do you mean you want to mix and match plants from different ecologies to make a new one. UltraScenery Toolbox - Volume II has an Ecology Engineer to do that.
    • Or do you mean something else entirely?
    Post edited by barbult on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,971

I meant the first thing you said, which I had done but somehow didn't notice the entry. Duh.

The rest of it I can work out, thanks!

Oso3D said:

I meant the first thing you said, which I had done but somehow didn't notice the entry. Duh.

The rest of it I can work out, thanks!

UltraScenery always opens to Grassland 01 ecology, so anything with an alphabetical name that comes earlier requires scrolling up. That tricks people, including me, from time to time.blush

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,540
    edited March 2022

Can I ask. Is it possible to use a custom depth map and scale the US ground plane?

I had an idea to use Andrey Prestriakov's ancient ruins and try to use US to create a fully planted landscape for the grasses. I used the ground plane to create a depth map successfully. However, it didn't seem to work as the ground plane didn't seem to scale, and you can't scale after planting if making it smaller as the planting will be too close - and I needed it to be 58.7%.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get this to work?

Regards,

Richard.

Ultrascenery 12 R01.png
    1860 x 936 - 4M
    Post edited by richardandtracy on

richardandtracy said:

Can I ask. Is it possible to use a custom depth map and scale the US ground plane?

I had an idea to use Andrey Prestriakov's ancient ruins and try to use US to create a fully planted landscape for the grasses. I used the ground plane to create a depth map successfully. However, it didn't seem to work as the ground plane didn't seem to scale, and you can't scale after planting if making it smaller as the planting will be too close - and I needed it to be 58.7%.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get this to work?

Regards,

Richard.

By depth map I think you mean height map, right? Could you creat a new square image in an image editor, where your ancient ruins height map fills just 58.7% of the square image and the rest of the image is black? I haven't tried this, but it seems like it might work. Then remember to turn off Noise in US by adjusting brightness/contrast to black.

• I hadn't thought of dropping the height map (sorry, not 'depth' map, that's what I called it in my modeller where I had programmed the 'depth' map view to get the shading) into a black image - mental myopia at work there! Thanks. As it turns out, squashing the grass together (grassland 1 ecology) by scaling after planting doesn't look as bad as I feared, it just seems to make the grass look finer.
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344
    edited March 2022

Simple UltraScenery made together with Cloudscape Creator

https://www.daz3d.com/cloudscape-creator-volumetric-clouds-bundle

Really like the look of it.

Ultra01pic04.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
  • PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Artini said:

Simple UltraScenery made together with Cloudscape Creator

https://www.daz3d.com/cloudscape-creator-volumetric-clouds-bundle

Really like the look of it.

Love the painterly look, USC is amazing!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344
    edited March 2022

Thanks a lot, @Paintbox.

Have added UltraSceneryXT, but need to experiment more on mixing both systems.

Ultra02pic06.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
This discussion has been closed.