UltraScenery - new territory [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,022
    edited March 2022

jjoyner said:

barbult said:

@jjoyner that all looks good so far, I think. I also use Windows 10 and install with DIM. I'll wait for your report of what happens without the Accelerator, so we know where to focus.

I used DIM to uninstall Accelerator, launched Daz Studio, checked to ensure that Instancing Optimization was set to Memory(it wasn’t; it resets to Auto every time Daz Studio is closed and relaunched.), and tried UltraScenery again with the simplest set of features to build (No terrain features, Grassland 1 ecology, no water). The UltraScenery progress bar initially advanced but stopped about 30% of the way along.  After eight minutes of no progress, I closed UltraScenery and Daz Studio.  Upon closing Daz Studio, I again got a popup window that Daz had crashed.

If you uninstalled the Accelerator and then relaunched Daz Studio, the Accelerator should not have been available, so it must not be the problem. You can confirm that the Accelerator is not running by looking at the opening screen when you launch UtraSceneCreator. If Accelerator is available, UltraSceneCreator will show "Accelerated" (screenshot). If it was properly uninstalled by DIM, it will not say "Accelerated".

Did you have a chance to look at the first post in this thread to see if any of the troubleshooting tips apply to your situation?

Your idea to try a minimal build was good instinct. Let's take it even further. On the build tab, uncheck ALL of the layers (Base Grass, Daisies, Grass Tufts, Long Grass). See if that builds just the terrain without error. Then you could try building just any individual layer and see if it builds OK with a smaller set of plants.

Do you have other programs running at the same time, maybe using memory that Daz Studio needs? I have 32 GB. Daz Studio uses less than 1 GB to build  Grasslands 01 with all plants (according to Task Manager), so it seems like 16 GB should be plenty, unless something else is using a lot.

You could also uninstall the extra addons that you purchased and installed at the same time as the Accelerator. I don't know of any addon conflicts, but I don't own every single one. We have to figure out what changed between when things were working fine and when they started crashing (obviously).

Have you looks at the Daz Studio log file to see if there are any related errors reported?

USC with Accelerator.jpg
    802 x 617 - 62K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 608

If you uninstalled the Accelerator and then relaunched Daz Studio, the Accelerator should not have been available, so it must not be the problem. You can confirm that the Accelerator is not running by looking at the opening screen when you launch UtraSceneCreator. If Accelerator is available, UltraSceneCreator will show "Accelerated" (screenshot). If it was properly uninstalled by DIM, it will not say "Accelerated".

I thought that I had uninstalled Accelerator but what I actually uninstalled was the Accelerator add-on. "Accelerator for UltraScenery for Daz Studio 4.5+ (Win 64-bit)".  I just uninstalled Accelerator and am in the process of trying another test of UltraScenery with a more robust landscape - Upland 2, Oaks 03, no water.

Did you have a chance to look at the first post in this thread to see if any of the troubleshooting tips apply to your situation?

Yes, I replied to that post a short while ago.

Your idea to try a minimal build was good instinct. Let's take it even further. On the build tab, uncheck ALL of the layers (Base Grass, Daisies, Grass Tufts, Long Grass). See if that builds just the terrain without error. Then you could try building just any individual layer and see if it builds OK with a smaller set of plants.

I'm in the middle of my latest build attempt, so I can try this next if necessary.

Do you have other programs running at the same time, maybe using memory that Daz Studio needs? 

No.  I'm only loading UltraScenery for this troubleshooting.

With Accelerator and its add-on "Accelerator for UltraScenery for Daz Studio 4.5+ (Win 64-bit)" both uninstalled the build attempt with a more robust landscape (Upland 2, Oaks 03, no water) completed successfully in a normal amount of time - 10 minutes and 19 seconds.  Progress.

Ah, we cross posted. I did not see your message when I posted. The most important thing, I think, is if you have Octane Render installed and do not need it, UNINSTALL it. I bet that will resolve the problem with UltraScenery.

Instancing Optimization of Auto or Memory usually work fine for UltraScenery. Do not ever set it to Speed for rendering UltraScenery. Instancing Optimization only applies to rendering. It would not affect your problem with building the scene.

barbult said:

Ah, we cross posted. I did not see your message when I posted. The most important thing, I think, is if you have Octane Render installed and do not need it, UNINSTALL it. I bet that will resolve the problem with UltraScenery.

Instancing Optimization of Auto or Memory usually work fine for UltraScenery. Do not ever set it to Speed for rendering UltraScenery. Instancing Optimization only applies to rendering. It would not affect your problem with building the scene.

I'll use DIM to uninstall Octane next and then reinstall Accelerator.

edited March 2022

To answer your question about how to get the latest version: I'm sure you have it, if you just purchased and installed. The opening page of UltraSceneCreator only shows the first two digits of the version number (1.3). The bottom right corner of the Build tab will show you the detailed version numbers. (screenshot)

Screenshot 2022-03-29 213603.jpg
    802 x 617 - 54K

barbult said:

To answer your question about how to get the latest version: I'm sure you have it, if you just purchased and installed. The opening page of UltraSceneCreator only shows the first two digits of the version number (1.3). The bottom right corner of the Build tab will show you the detailed version numbers. (screenshot)

Thanks for pointing me where to find the detailed version number.  I have the same version as you do.

After a little progress, things have taken a turn for the worse.  I uninstalled Octane, reinstalled Accelerator, and attempted another build of the landsacpe that UltraScenery built in just over 10 minutes when Accelerator was not installed -  Upland 2, Oaks 03, no water.  This time, UltraScenery with Accelerator failed to build the same landscape and Daz Studio crashed.  I'll try another simple landscape again with Accelerator installed.  The issue may be in one of the Ultrascenery add-ons. I may need to uninstall each of the three add-ons and then add them back one at a time and try to build a landscape each time to see if the latest one causes a failed build again.

edited March 2022

jjoyner said:

Thanks for pointing me where to find the detailed version number.  I have the same version as you do.

After a little progress, things have taken a turn for the worse.  I uninstalled Octane, reinstalled Accelerator, and attempted another build of the landsacpe that UltraScenery built in just over 10 minutes when Accelerator was not installed -  Upland 2, Oaks 03, no water.  This time, UltraScenery with Accelerator failed to build the same landscape and Daz Studio crashed.  I'll try another simple landscape again with Accelerator installed.  The issue may be in one of the Ultrascenery add-ons. I may need to uninstall each of the three add-ons and then add them back one at a time and try to build a landscape each time to see if the latest one causes a failed build again.

It seems prertty clear then that there is a conflict between the Accelerator and something else. I am still suspicious of Octane Render. I don't have it, so I don't know what all is involved with it. Did you uninstall the plugin that you got from Otoy as well as the Octane Render Kit that came from Daz? 

In Daz Studio, check Help>About Installed Plugins and make sure Octane Render is not shown in the list.

@barbult - I had uninstalled the Octane Render Kit but had forgotten about a plugin from Otay.  Octane was still checked on in About Installed Plugins.  I unchecked it and tried another build but it failed.  I'm going to stop posting tonight but will try some more troubleshooting for a while and come back here tomorrow with, hopefully, success in hand.  Thanks greatly for your help and that of others who chimed in tonight.

jjoyner said:

@barbult - I had uninstalled the Octane Render Kit but had forgotten about a plugin from Otay.  Octane was still checked on in About Installed Plugins.  I unchecked it and tried another build but it failed.  I'm going to stop posting tonight but will try some more troubleshooting for a while and come back here tomorrow with, hopefully, success in hand.  Thanks greatly for your help and that of others who chimed in tonight.

I think you need to actually uninstall the Octane Render plugin, not just uncheck it in the list of plugins. Good luck. We'll talk tomorrow.

OK - it's still tonight but it looks like my problem is resolved.  I used Control Panel to uninstall the Octane plugin in, rebooted my computer and tried UltraScenery again with Accelerator installed.  No crashes.  Apparently, Octane was the cause of problems running Accelerator.  Some landscapes were built quicker than others but that depended on what features I chose for the landscape.  Now, I have to work on learning how to efficiently use UltraScenery within the limitations of my hardware.

Again, thanks to all.

jjoyner said:

OK - it's still tonight but it looks like my problem is resolved.  I used Control Panel to uninstall the Octane plugin in, rebooted my computer and tried UltraScenery again with Accelerator installed.  No crashes.  Apparently, Octane was the cause of problems running Accelerator.  Some landscapes were built quicker than others but that depended on what features I chose for the landscape.  Now, I have to work on learning how to efficiently use UltraScenery within the limitations of my hardware.

Again, thanks to all.

Hey, that's great!
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 738

To use Octane Prime with USC if you are running into issues, I simply uncheck to disable the plugin from the tab if you are havving a problem, then build your scene with USC or USXT Save scene file and reneable Octane from the plugins tab  to render the scene in Octane. I have an RTX360 12GB so it works great.

Do you use the UltraScenery Accelerator? Is Octane Prime something different than the free Octane Render plugin for Daz Studio?
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344
    edited March 2022

barbult said:

Artini said:

barbult said:

@Artini, nice work adding the clouds. They really add to the scene.

Thanks a lot.

I am amazed, how these clouds can make the image more attractive to me.

@Artini I have that cloud bundle, too, but I haven't achieved such nice renders with it yet. Are you using the Iray volumetric cloud versions (with VDB files)? Are you adding a lot of little clouds or scaling up a single cloud? Do you try to put the clouds at a height and distance that real clouds would be, or just move them a lot closer to the scenery?

I have not used VDB files at all in my last 2 images.

On the first image, I have just choosen one of the backgrounds and the clouds preset from the list of presets.

On the second image (with added UltraScenery XT), I have moved the clouds further away (-10000)

and down (-7000) or so, until they appeared without the gap at the horizon.

I have tried to move down Ultrascenery, to achieve a better mix with UltraScenery XT,

but could not find the optimal number, yet.

Any suggestions about how to mix UltraScenery with UltraScenery XT

to have no seams visible?

Post edited by Artini on
  • smaker1smaker1 Posts: 278

jjoyner said:

barbult said:

I'll use DIM to uninstall Octane next and then reinstall Accelerator.

You don't need to uninstall Octane plug but only deactivate it in the plug list. Od course if you don't use Octane you can uninstall

I also have Ultrascenery freezing with Octane (may be due to the Octane high number of nodes update) so here is my workflow :

I deactivate the plug and restart DS4

I create/tune my Ultrasecenery scene with Iray working renders

When all is OK I save the scene and activate Octane plug.

Close DS4 and reload the scene, Octane plug works so I can use it to make an export Orbx scene as I work in Octane standalone

Here is a sample : Ultrascenery scene exported with Octane plug then rendered in Octane standalone  with Character and  Vdb Files

Forest3-Final LR.jpg
    1500 x 1050 - 818K
    Perhaps the trick is to restart Daz Studio after deactivating the Octane Render plugin. Just deactivating it does not seem to work for people.
  • Anarkia333Anarkia333 Posts: 104
    edited March 2022

New Test with XT and Biome activate, nice xD

For Octane I don't thing it was nice idea....

DAZ is make with philosophy speed Render, if not Blender or 3DS MAX is juste 10000000 more better.... But very more long.

DAZ is free, fun and speed, why we love DAZ.

Use Octane need to remake all material, change all parameter, for what finally? No best render at 99% of time I see.... xD

Capturexxx.JPG
    1998 x 1129 - 522K
    Post edited by Anarkia333 on

barbult said:

Perhaps the trick is to restart Daz Studio after deactivating the Octane Render plugin. Just deactivating it does not seem to work for people.

Yes: only deactivating without restarting DS4 doesn't work .

Anarkia333 said:

DAZ is make with philosophy speed Render, if not Blender or 3DS MAX is juste 10000000 more better.... But very more long.

Use Octane need to remake all material, change all parameter, for what finally? No best render at 99% of time I see.... xD

I found upgrading material very fun ! Octanerender is faster than Iray (at least for me) and memory management is also better I think

DS4 begin to choke with 3 genesis8f subd level 3 on my old config. In Octane I can do render with 15 G8F level 3 without any trouble. I also can work in DS4 to improve or made a new scene while there is a render cooking in Octane. There's a Octane free tier for DS4 but yes you need to adjust material, lighting,... Octane Render Kit , also free at Daz, help you to do it .

Everyone choose the tools that fit him/her :-) !

edited March 2022

15 GF8? Oh nice.... xD

Yea Octane is better, all solution is better that DAZ, because simply solution is still limited.

DAZ make scene in 5minute, 3DS or Blender need some hours, with VRAY, ARnold, Octane.... Solution who need time will be still better.

It is the problem actually DAZ load all in VRAM, and just 2 G8F and I am out with RTX3060 12go, soo solution is use "Scene Optimizer" for Girls not close camera xD

Octane can use RAM and VRAM no? With render GPU?

Post edited by Anarkia333 on

Anarkia333 said:

15 GF8? Oh nice.... xD

Yea Octane is better, all solution is better that DAZ, because simply solution is still limited.

DAZ make scene in 5minute, 3DS or Blender need some hours, with VRAY, ARnold, Octane.... Solution who need time will be still better.

It is the problem actually DAZ load all in VRAM, and just 2 G8F and I am out with RTX3060 12go, soo solution is use "Scene Optimizer" for Girls not close camera xD

I have the same graphic card as you since 3 months, an old processor i7-3770k and 64 Gig of mem. Now my final render (6000/8000 average) take 3/4 hours max and yes: Octane use GPU and RAM if not enough place. I don't see so much decrease of performance when Octane uses RAM but my previous graphic card was a GTX680 4gb and I also launch my final render during night.

It has been a long time I didn't use decimator and all other scene optimizer tools. I only hide body parts which don't appear in render. I started with the beta version of Octane as I preferred unbiaised renderer result. That was a long time before Iray :-) May be my roadmap would be different today.  

smaker1 said:

Anarkia333 said:

15 GF8? Oh nice.... xD

I have the same graphic card as you since 3 months, an old processor i7-3770k and 64 Gig of mem. Now my final render (6000/8000 average) take 3/4 hours max and yes: Octane use GPU and RAM if not enough place. I don't see so much decrease of performance when Octane uses RAM but my previous graphic card was a GTX680 4gb and I also launch my final render during night.

It has been a long time I didn't use decimator and all other scene optimizer tools. I only hide body parts which don't appear in render. I started with the beta version of Octane as I preferred unbiaised renderer result. That was a long time before Iray :-) May be my roadmap would be different today.  

I am curious to see render with Octane in DAZ do you have Render? xD 

Artini said:

barbult said:

Artini said:

barbult said:

Thanks a lot.

@Artini I have that cloud bundle, too, but I haven't achieved such nice renders with it yet. Are you using the Iray volumetric cloud versions (with VDB files)? Are you adding a lot of little clouds or scaling up a single cloud? Do you try to put the clouds at a height and distance that real clouds would be, or just move them a lot closer to the scenery?

On the first image, I have just choosen one of the backgrounds and the clouds preset from the list of presets.

On the second image (with added UltraScenery XT), I have moved the clouds further away (-10000)

I have tried to move down Ultrascenery, to achieve a better mix with UltraScenery XT,

@Artini In your image, you linked to Cloudscape Creator Volumetric Clouds Bundle. I only see individual clouds in that bundle, no preset sky backgrounds. Am I overlooking something? Did you use something like the similarly named Cloudscape Creator Bundle instead?

• barbult said:

@Artini In your
    image, you linked to Cloudscape Creator Volumetric Clouds Bundle. I only see individual clouds in that bundle, no preset sky backgrounds. Am I overlooking something? Did you use something like the similarly named Cloudscape Creator Bundle instead?

There are no preset sky backgrounds. I guess one could use e.g. Scatter Pro to create a sky background.

I have Cloudscape Creator Volumetric Clouds Bundle but never try... xD
    I will try for see...

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

smaker1 said:

Anarkia333 said:

I found upgrading material very fun ! Octanerender is faster than Iray (at least for me) and memory management is also better I think

DS4 begin to choke with 3 genesis8f subd level 3 on my old config. In Octane I can do render with 15 G8F level 3 without any trouble. I also can work in DS4 to improve or made a new scene while there is a render cooking in Octane. There's a Octane free tier for DS4 but yes you need to adjust material, lighting,... Octane Render Kit , also free at Daz, help you to do it .

Octane doesn't work with instances, which USC uses. Disable Octane in the plug-ins/addons menu option, then restart Daz Studio and then create a landscape with USC. See if that helps.

dawnblade said:

smaker1 said:

Anarkia333 said:

Octane doesn't work with instances, which USC uses. Disable Octane in the plug-ins/addons menu option, then restart Daz Studio and then create a landscape with USC. See if that helps.

Octane works well with instances the only trouble is you can't have Octane plug active while making/tuning an USC scene. My picture above is an USC scene rendered in Octane with "lot" of USC instances as I didn't use the camera optimization in USC . I imagine the trouble is the live update made by the Octane plug of nodes generated by USC or some incompatibility but I'm not a tech guy!

Activation/deactivation of plugs need a restart of DS4.

You can test with the free Octane tier: made an USC scene while Octane plug is deactivated, save the scene and activate octane plug , restart DS4 and load your scene, render with Octane: it works! 

The only current limitation I see in Octane is DS4 stranded hairs. VDB is possible since a long time in Octane standalone but I don't know with the current plug version. I saw that vdb sold at daz have the vdb files in Geometries or Textures folders depending of the seller. As I work in Octane stand alone I have no problem with that.

The only time I activate the Octane plug is to export scenes with instances (Stonemason scenes, USC scenes,...). I merge my USC scene, characters, VDB files, LAMH fiberhair exports,.... in Octane standalone .

I'll try with USC XT as soon as possible :-) !

barbult said:

Artini said:

barbult said:

Artini said:

barbult said:

Thanks a lot.

@Artini In your image, you linked to Cloudscape Creator Volumetric Clouds Bundle. I only see individual clouds in that bundle, no preset sky backgrounds. Am I overlooking something? Did you use something like the similarly named Cloudscape Creator Bundle instead?

I will check it again and post a screenshot, when I will be at the computer with DS.

edited April 2022

Another example render with the clouds and 2 screenshots:

Ultra03pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1M
    creator1c.jpg
    1367 x 383 - 130K
    creator2c.jpg
    707 x 319 - 71K
    Post edited by Artini on
This discussion has been closed.