UltraScenery - new territory [Commercial]

Comments

• johnjohn808johnjohn808 Posts: 159
    edited June 2022

In the begining, UltraScenery was great as it opened alot of doors in my art. I used it almost every day.

Since upgrading to Daz 4.15, UltraScenery has become frustratingly unusable to me. I can barely move my cursor once I add a figure to the scene. Sometimes even without any figures.

Before upgrading, UltraScenery ran great on 4.12 with a GTX 1660Ti, even with up to 4 figures loaded.

I figured that it would get better with a new computer (the other one was only 2 years old). So Im now on on a newer RTX 3060 12GB and it seems to not be enough. 

I know that there are workarounds as stated in this and other threads, but I dont feel that anyone should have to rely on a workaround. It should just work LOL

Alot of those workarounds call for hiding things in the scene. But I need to see everything in iray preview instead of guessing what the scene will look like once I add everything back in and render. 

I want to buy the addons, and use it again., but it looks like it aint happenin anytime soon.

Just my experience and why I no longer use UltraScenery.

Post edited by johnjohn808 on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,393
    edited June 2022

johnjohn808 said:

In the begining, UltraScenery was great as it opened alot of doors in my art. I used it almost every day.

Since upgrading to Daz 4.15, UltraScenery has become frustratingly unusable to me. I can barely move my cursor once I add a figure to the scene. Sometimes even without any figures.

Before upgrading, UltraScenery ran great on 4.12 with a GTX 1660Ti, even with up to 4 figures loaded.

I figured that it would get better with a new computer (the other one was only 2 years old). So Im now on on a newer RTX 3060 12GB and it seems to not be enough. 

I know that there are workarounds as stated in this and other threads, but I dont feel that anyone should have to rely on a workaround. It should just work LOL

Alot of those workarounds call for hiding things in the scene. But I need to see everything in iray preview instead of guessing what the scene will look like once I add everything back in and render. 

I want to buy the addons, and use it again., but it looks like it aint happenin anytime soon.

Previewing instances in Iray will slow the system down, especially when it comes to UltraScenery.  US/XT do use a lot of instances.

If you must use preview, set Instancing Optimization to Auto in NVIDIA Iray - Optimization settings.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

johnjohn808 said:

Previewing instances in Iray will slow the system down, especially when it comes to UltraScenery.  US/XT do use a lot of instances.

If you must use preview, set Instancing Optimization to Auto in NVIDIA Iray - Optimization settings.

The render preset that comes with UltraScenery changes it to Memory.

dawnblade said:

The render preset that comes with UltraScenery changes it to Memory.

Yes. If my memory serves me correctly, UltraScenery was released before Daz Studio implemented the Auto option.

• johnjohn808johnjohn808 Posts: 159

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, Instancing Optimization was already set to auto.

I just dont get why it wont work well on either of my machines running 4.15.

Both the 1660 ti and RTX 3060 12GB are dedicated boxes that rarely ever connect to the internet.

sad

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Just don't use preview. Your system is fast, just make a fast render preset say 700 pixels width and ratio height to match and render quickly. Sometimes you don't get to choose whether to do workarounds or not.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,274

Just a heads up for anybody wanting the Accelerator - it's on sale today!

Thank you HowieFarkes for making this, works beautifully :-)

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084
    edited June 2022

Too bad the beach sand and the entire transition from land to water doesn't look more realistic. If it were, this would have been an instant buy for me. Hopefully somebody will release an upgrade that matches the realism of the mountains, paths and streams.

Post edited by mcorr on
  • HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 606
    edited June 2022

Sneak peek...

sneak peek.png
    1000 x 1300 - 3M
    Post edited by HowieFarkes on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378

HowieFarkes said:

Sneak peek...

Just when you thought it was safe for your credit card to venture back into the forest...

I can hardly wait.

Cheers,

Alex. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,022
    edited June 2022

I just got back from a trip to the Pacific Northwest (Washington and Oregon). I felt like I was living inside UItraScenery and UltraSceneryXT! It was awesome. I got home yesterday afternoon, and now this new sneak peek looks just like home (Florida). More awesomeness.

Here is a photo near Sol Duc Falls in Washington.

2022-06-07 Sol Duc Falls Trail.jpg
    2592 x 1944 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on

alexhcowley said:

Just when you thought it was safe for your credit card to venture back into the forest...

I've cancelled mine so that I don't get led astray by temptation laugh

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 738

Howie's sneak peek reminds me of my younger days camping in the hills of Jamaica.

The image remindes me of a place called "Constant Spring" from the 70's before the large population growth.

A stream like that would have a ton of river shrimps and crawfish. Awesome to walk down stream barefooted.

Awaiting the new release. 

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

They had a mention in the paper this week that Oregon in particular has seen the wettest Aplril, May, and now June in over 80 yaers.

Meanwhile SoCal is having to ration water again. 

Doc Acme said:

They had a mention in the paper this week that Oregon in particular has seen the wettest Aplril, May, and now June in over 80 yaers.

Meanwhile SoCal is having to ration water again. 

We had quite a bit of rain while we were in Washington.

• HighlandHighland Posts: 164
    edited June 2022

barbult said:

I just got back from a trip to the Pacific Northwest (Washington and Oregon). I felt like I was living inside UItraScenery and UltraSceneryXT! It was awesome. I got home yesterday afternoon, and now this new sneak peek looks just like home (Florida). More awesomeness.

Here is a photo near Sol Duc Falls in Washington.

Funny, I just returned home from two weeks in Florida, and travelling through Tennessee and Georgia everything registered as an UltraScenery render.

Post edited by Highland on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,821

Anyone here use the volumtric cloud product? Wondering how you get the clouds into the scene. not a very user friendly product imo. 

• You mean https://www.daz3d.com/volumetric-clouds-for-iray , which has presets for loading the clouds with non-rendering pre-viz meshes so you can see what you are doing as you move them into place? VDBs are a render effect, you need to use Iray to see them in their proper form,.

Richard Haseltine said:

You mean https://www.daz3d.com/volumetric-clouds-for-iray , which has presets for loading the clouds with non-rendering pre-viz meshes so you can see what you are doing as you move them into place? VDBs are a render effect, you need to use Iray to see them in their proper form,.

this one actually 

Cloudscape Creator Volumetric Clouds Bundle | Daz 3D 

edited June 2022

daveso said:

Richard Haseltine said:

You mean https://www.daz3d.com/volumetric-clouds-for-iray , which has presets for loading the clouds with non-rendering pre-viz meshes so you can see what you are doing as you move them into place? VDBs are a render effect, you need to use Iray to see them in their proper form,.

this one actually 

Yes, I have used those. No, they are not at all easy to use. They are individual clouds so you have to add and position a bunch to fill your sky. They come in VDB form and non-VDB form, so you have to be careful to choose the right ones. For the VDB clouds, I had to fiddle with the density in the surfaces pane to get them to look like I wanted them to look. 

USC Dirt Track 3 BV Mix 12 Statue Volume Clouds.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 738

barbult said:

daveso said:

Richard Haseltine said:

this one actually 

Yes, I have used those. No, they are not at all easy to use. They are individual clouds so you have to add and position a bunch to fill your sky. They come in VDB form and non-VDB form, so you have to be careful to choose the right ones. For the VDB clouds, I had to fiddle with the density in the surfaces pane to get them to look like I wanted them to look. 

Looks great Barb. Thanks for sharing. Scattering a few leaves on the path could be a changer. If I recall you had some tips on how to do that properly. Can you mix in a few other color tulips. may be easier in post. I have to review your workflows. 

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

That is one gorgeous render @Barbult !

barbult said:

daveso said:

Richard Haseltine said:

this one actually 

that is a beautiful image, that's for sure. Yeah, I'm not much into fiddling. I guess it would be possible to save the cloud formation once completed to avoid having to do it over and over and then move a couple to make a different look. I found it difficult to adjust height as well. 

daveso said:

barbult said:

daveso said:

Richard Haseltine said:

this one actually 

that is a beautiful image, that's for sure. Yeah, I'm not much into fiddling. I guess it would be possible to save the cloud formation once completed to avoid having to do it over and over and then move a couple to make a different look. I found it difficult to adjust height as well.

Yes, I parented the clouds to a Null at world center, so I can rotate the whole cloud configuration around into camera view. I saved it all as a scene subset that I can reuse.

refresh me on how to get the trees out of the water. Please and thank you. 

daveso said:

What ecology and what feature? The Swamp ecology puts cypress trees in the water, because they grow there, but I don't remember other ecologies doing that.

• KeikuKeiku Posts: 143

I've just installed UltraScenery (only this, no-addons yet and manually as I use custom libraries), but something seems to be wrong. See the attached screenshot. Nothing shows in the features, ecology, water, or build sections.

UltraSceneryBroken.jpg
    802 x 551 - 37K

Keiku said:

I've just installed UltraScenery (only this, no-addons yet and manually as I use custom libraries), but something seems to be wrong. See the attached screenshot. Nothing shows in the features, ecology, water, or build sections.

UltraScenery will not find the ecologies and Features if you do not install ALL of the UltraScenery files where they were designed to be placed. If you rearrange the folders on your hard drive, you will create problems like this. If you install UltraScenery from inside Daz Studio (Daz Connect), UltraScenery will not work, because Daz Connect puts the files in a nonstandard folder structure. If you install UltraScenery from DIM, it will work flawlessly. Read the very first post in this thread for troubleshooting tips.

barbult said:

daveso said:

What ecology and what feature? The Swamp ecology puts cypress trees in the water, because they grow there, but I don't remember other ecologies doing that.

it was one of the oaks... there are 3 or so sitting in the water.  

edited June 2022

daveso said:

barbult said:

daveso said:

it was one of the oaks... there are 3 or so sitting in the water.  

I've never seen that happen with the Oaks ecologies. What feature did you use? Did you move anything after building the scene for the first time, and then build  it again? That can mess up the position of plants. If file uploads are fixed, attach your scene file here and I'll look at it.

This discussion has been closed.