Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 8

Comments

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited October 2014

Is there a way to hide a HDRI background, but not to loose its reflection? (pls see picture 1 with background and nice reflections on the sphere and picture 2 with a hidden background and no reflection on the sphere.)

test_hdri_reflection.jpg
    400 x 400 - 6K
    test_hdri_reflection0.jpg
    400 x 400 - 12K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,538
    edited December 1969

@franontheedge - very nice scene.

@electro-elvis - no, not to my knowledge. What you want is reflection on the sphere without a source that provides the reflection. What you can try is set the sphere to high specularity, the HDRI specularity to max, Intensity to max and apply to light source (light and specular multiplier) but not rendered as background. This won't give you reflection but perhaps enough specular for your purpose. You have to adjust HDRI Effect and Specularity.

• franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

Interesting problem you've got there Electro-Elvis.

Thanks Mermaid,
    I wasn't wildly happy about it, didn't have any bird models so I'd used my pteradactyl model instead, not the best solution! Lol! Then I remembered that I have a fair few bird pictures, so I set to work in PhotoShop, plus I felt it was rather dark, so, adjusted that and played around with it for a while until I got something better.

Thanks Pam,
    Yes, I didn't get much of a picture of the paddle steamers, a few, but I wanted better. Saw quite a few people in eye patches & pirate hats, waving swords about - and that was just in a day hire boat. The paddle steamers were usually too far away to see much of the people inside though.

Thanks Horo,

I wish there was a way to make some of the birds hazier, to account for distance, unfortunately the distance mask in Bryce won't work on pict images... pity. I'll just have to go back to PhotoShop for that, but I think this is an improvement nonetheless:

RiverBure17.jpg
    1120 x 865 - 756K
    edited December 1969

@franontheedge - again a nice scene, I like this daylight even more.

@electro-elvis - that's what I mean. The first reflection. The second specular. Set specular colour to black to make the blops small.

EE2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 10K
    EE1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 24K
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So that the Fabergé egg does not fall over.

EasterEgg2.jpg
    500 x 500 - 131K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Is there a way to hide a HDRI background, but not to loose its reflection? (pls see picture 1 with background and nice reflections on the sphere and picture 2 with a hidden background and no reflection on the sphere.)

Another approach might be to use reflection map of a spherical projection exported from your HDRI in the ambient channel. This video may offer some clues as to how you might do that. Or if that's not clear and I will make one specifically to suit what you are after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m9ByPN-NPs&list=UUldbpx-WrHFHUD-w3IaIKkw

edited October 2014

The symmetry is not correct, but that's no wonder, with such a huge egg.

EasterEgg3a.jpg
    500 x 500 - 160K
    EasterEgg3.jpg
    500 x 500 - 161K
    Post edited by Roland4 on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited October 2014

Very nice efforts, Roland......can see you're getting there.

I hope it doesn't put you off continuence with your endevours to 'create' the 'perfect egg' as I suspect there is a lot of work involved. I've deleted so many works in the past whilst woking on them - the hardest thing is deciding which was best/applicable to the theme involved.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Very nice efforts, Roland......can see you're getting there.

I hope it doesn't put you off continuence with your endevours to 'create' the 'perfect egg' as I suspect there is a lot of work involved. I've deleted so many works in the past whilst woking on them - the hardest thing is deciding which was best/applicable to the theme involved.

Jay

Thanks, but nothing can scare me or stop them from achieving a decent result.

edited December 1969

@David - there's something apparently odd but optically consistent. Compare the reflection from the HDRI on the sphere above and the map here below. Exported HDRI spherical, Yaw 180° off, then mirrored. This then is used on the sphere as Ambient, spherical mapped. The orientation is correct but we only see half of the room. In a mirror ball, the whole panorama is reflected except the part that is obscured by the mirror ball itself.

EE3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 15K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis - I may be missing your question, but I added a cube behind the sphere to block the HDRI background and adjusted the cube's size so that it's reflections weren't interfering too much with the HDRI reflections. Would this work? Am I even in the ballpark? Bueller? :)

BlockLight.jpg
    300 x 300 - 33K
    edited December 1969

The egg now looks more like a spaceship, or ?

EasterEgg4.jpg
    500 x 500 - 155K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,105
    edited December 1969

Is this what you are looking for?

hdri-reflection.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 147K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

well I might have more time for 3d work, I'm getting rotated to an earlier shift will have more afternoon time free. I just have to get up at O Dark thirty to get to work on time.

Nice renders everyone... looks like I missed the Gold tutorial.. have something cooking will post when it's done.

edited December 1969

I messed about with some parameters and used a different texture on the sphere and added a background. There appears to be a halo around the ball which is part of the sphere and the reflection is only on that top part.

hdri-reflection2.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 556K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @David - there's something apparently odd but optically consistent. Compare the reflection from the HDRI on the sphere above and the map here below. Exported HDRI spherical, Yaw 180° off, then mirrored. This then is used on the sphere as Ambient, spherical mapped. The orientation is correct but we only see half of the room. In a mirror ball, the whole panorama is reflected except the part that is obscured by the mirror ball itself.

Yes, once again I am thwarted by the lack of access to the bugtracker, since this was something (along with spherical mapping and its relation to bump) that was extensively tested and debated over. I think the closest I got to getting this working nicely was covered in "more on mapping" video in Practical Bryce volume one. There are comparisons between true reflection and reflection mapping which confirm what is shown here. Perhaps for pure geometries reflection mapping is poor but for complex ones, it is easier to get away with faking it this way, because our brains are not such brilliant ray tracing engines as computers, we will accept what is not technically exactly right.

edited October 2014

Roland...there's certainly a lot involved, so will try something myself as I love always a challenge (but of course, they will never be close to your jewellery works that you obviously are a master in).

Re: the HDRI...yeah, Elvis, my initial response was to copy/reflect the HDRI (e.g. say, as a jpg etc.,) onto the sphere, but I'll guess you want the reflectance effects of [said], and all that that has to offer to the sphere without the HDRI included. Complex setup, I would imagine, but as a work-around, I would imagine - again, complex.

Nice one, franontheedge...great birds and image - the seabird (blackhead seagull I'll presume), may not be appropriate to the reed-like scene...but this is just a 'picky' point, as I'm so knowledgeable and obnoxious-a-critic...................and a 'birder' at heart ;) ).

Jay

edited October 2014

Jamahoney said:
    the seabird (blackhead seagull I'll presume), may not be appropriate to the reed-like scene...but this is just a 'picky' point, as I'm so knowledgeable and obnoxious-a-critic...................and a 'birder' at heart ;) ).

Jay

We have hundreds around our local pond and we are thirty miles from the sea. There are also common gulls, lesser black back gulls and cormorants. There isn't much room left for the ducks, coots and swans :-)

Post edited by Fishtales on
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

ok the Render is done, my stab at something made of gold

gold-thing.jpg
    900 x 900 - 582K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Franontheedge: Both of those images are terrific, especially the water.

@Roland: Those eggs are progressing nicely.

@Rareth: Love what you achieved in that image.

edited November 2014

Ex and gems.

EasterEgg5.jpg
    500 x 500 - 144K
    edited December 1969

@David - the panorama mapped around a sphere shows 180° horizontal and vertical only. It is a map after all. Reflection is not a map and theoretically a mirror ball reflects 360° in all directions. This is no Bryce issue, that's just optics.

What really can be done is to transform the panorama in the mirror ball projection and map it Object Front on the sphere. That's what I've done here. Unfortunately, Bryce cannot export in the mirror ball projection (first example).

An angular map could be used, not exactly a mirror ball but near enough, much nearer than a spherical map. Exporting an angular map as angular map doesn't take the Yaw setting in account. So you need a spherical HDRI and set Yaw 180° different than what you want and export as angular map, which you have yet to mirror (second example).

EE5.jpg
    600 x 600 - 17K
    EE4.jpg
    600 x 600 - 17K
    edited November 2014

The almost finished Faberge Egg for Jamahoney.

EasterEgg6.jpg
    500 x 500 - 156K
    edited November 2014

Horo said:
    @David - the panorama mapped around a sphere shows 180° horizontal and vertical only. It is a map after all. Reflection is not a map and theoretically a mirror ball reflects 360° in all directions. This is no Bryce issue, that's just optics.

What really can be done is to transform the panorama in the mirror ball projection and map it Object Front on the sphere. That's what I've done here. Unfortunately, Bryce cannot export in the mirror ball projection (first example).

An angular map could be used, not exactly a mirror ball but near enough, much nearer than a spherical map. Exporting an angular map as angular map doesn't take the Yaw setting in account. So you need a spherical HDRI and set Yaw 180° different than what you want and export as angular map, which you have yet to mirror (second example).

That is a nice solution. And I agree Reflection is not a map. But "reflection mapping" is supposed to "map" the reflection onto a virtual sphere around the object and then using the object normals to determine what parts of that image on the virtual sphere would get reflected from that normal. But what actually seems to happen is that the normal is used as a "probe" and where it hits the reflection map image that is what is returned to the surface geometry. The thing that is missing from reflection mapping is consideration of the camera position and the use of a ray from the camera interacting with the geometry normal and then going out to the reflection mapped virtual sphere. It should be reflection (but other objects are not part of that scheme) but what it actually is is some kind of mapping I don't really have a name for but does (with sufficiently complex models) look a bit like reflection.

It depends, and I don't know, if we are just talking about creating reflection on a sphere or if that was just used as the simplest example for this?

Rendering the scene twice would be another way to tackle this and use masking.

As I understand it. The aim is to have a HDRI backdrop reflected on objects in the render (not necessarily spheres?) while the HDRI itself remains invisible to the camera directly? Is that right?

Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

There's a couple of alternatives. With an all white background. You can wrap your scene in a white sphere that is transparent. But the HDRI intensity right up and then use very low levels of reflection to gather the HDRI through the white. The Bryce camera will see white and not be able to distinguish the HDRI image directly but the attenuating effect of the reflection will. The bryce white being so low level compared to the HDRI it will be effectively invisible.

A trickier alternative that offers more trouble for lighting your object and scenes, is to set the HDRI down very low and use a hyper texture in the reflection to boost it back to visible. However that will also boost anything else that gets reflected. So a bit unmanageable for most scenes.

Settings for the white background approach are shown.

Image3.jpg
    685 x 538 - 108K
    Image2.jpg
    669 x 674 - 135K
    Image1.jpg
    726 x 614 - 148K
    All_white.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 143K
    edited November 2014

Here's the approach using the render option "object mask" to combine a tone mapped version of the HDRI with the better reflections gathered from the none-tone mapped version.

Edit: I used PSP8 to combine the components.

combined.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 255K
    reflection.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 258K
    tm_mask.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 29K
    tm_back.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 213K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Now the faberge egg is ready.

EasterEgg7a.jpg
    500 x 500 - 161K
    EasterEgg7.jpg
    500 x 500 - 159K
    edited December 1969

Rendering at 360º Panoramic Projection gives some interesting images.

hdri-reflection4.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 481K
    edited November 2014

"We have hundreds around our local pond and we are thirty miles from the sea. There are also common gulls, lesser black back gulls and cormorants. There isn’t much room left for the ducks, coots and swans".

Good point, Fishtales.

Looks super, Roland...now if you could only sell it as I've read that some of these eggs cost millions ;)

Jay

edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Looks super, Roland...now if you could only sell it as I've read that some of these eggs cost millions ;)

Jay

What should I do with a million dollars ? I can not buy a new lung from this.

With a little bit postwork with Gimp.

EasterEgg7b.jpg
    500 x 500 - 264K
This discussion has been closed.