Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 8

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,539
    edited December 1969

@David - interesting idea and I understand its working. I think we're somehow hijacking this thread and I recommend we continue this "research" by email. electro-elvis' question seems to have sparked some ideas.

@Rareth - nice shape and nicely presented.

@Roland4 - Fabergé looks nice.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,105
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    "We have hundreds around our local pond and we are thirty miles from the sea. There are also common gulls, lesser black back gulls and cormorants. There isn’t much room left for the ducks, coots and swans".

Good point, Fishtales.[/color
    Jay

I took this picture there a few years ago.

http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/gallery/birds/gull-attack-001.jpg

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Heh he, Fishtales...great shot...the ducks coming out the worst.

Jay

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2014

Jamahoney said:
    Heh he, Fishtales...great shot...the ducks coming out the worst.

Jay

We too get gulls, even up here on the mountains, and they sometimes scare off birds of prey like the buzzards etc, which are more normal to be seen over the mountains, simply by ganging up on them. BTW we are about 20 miles form the coast, although we do have a large reservoir just over a mile away.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

Thank a lot for all the suggestions to my question. Horo and David thanks very much for the profond ideas, I have to confess, in the end I could not follow entirely all your statements anymore. I hope you don't mind. I came up with the same idea fencepost52 has suggested (Thanks). I simply placed a cube behind my object.

Maybe I should explain you, why I put my question. Once more I experimented with a genesis model and how to achive an as good looking render with Bryce as possible. I had already posted a few attempts here. Beside the skin, I never was satisfied with the eyes, too. I missed any natural looking high lights. That's why I thought to use a HDRI to simulate the high lights in the eyes. And I am quite happy with the result. I think, the eyes look vividly. But for that I had to accept the HDRI as backdrop blended into the background.

Here my result (still WIP)

g2_test_HDRIForEyeReflection.jpg
    700 x 700 - 46K
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited November 2014

Inspired by Jamahoney, i want make a new Fabergé Egg. A Fabergé Egg that looks more expensive.

FabergeEgg1a.jpg
    750 x 500 - 261K
    FabergeEgg1.jpg
    750 x 500 - 222K
    Post edited by Roland4 on
    edited November 2014

This is Jamahoneys second Faberge Egg. But now is finito with Faberge Eggs.

FabergeEgg2a.jpg
    750 x 500 - 256K
    FabergeEgg2.jpg
    750 x 500 - 281K
    edited November 2014

And a little bit postwork.

FabergeEgg2b.jpg
    750 x 500 - 317K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited December 1969

@Tim Bateman: more great terains. My fingers itch to do one too, but I don't get your or Horo's realism yet, I fear.

@franontheedge: wonderful moors scene. At first I mistook it for Holland, don't know why ;-)

@Roland4: nice set of Fabergé WIPs and great end result!

@Fishtales: very nice result indeed.

@electro-elvis: she looks very good. Indeed the eyes are 'alive'. Well done!

I made another "in-between a long render something to at least show that I am still alive"-render. This time it is truly an abstract, though with a little scene like idea. I call it 'Splash'.
    Oh, by the way, I almost always do some postwork, I often find the end result a bit too dull, so I spice it up with more contrast or saturation or anything I think is worthwhile.

splash.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 441K
    edited November 2014

hansmar said:

Thanks hansmar, do you want have the Bryce 7.1 scene file ?

edited December 1969

@electro-elvis - for this application, hiding the backdrop with a plane or cube is indeed the simplest method. The lady looks nice.

@Roland4 - nice two part Fabergés.

@hansmar - abstract looks nice.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited November 2014

Roland4 said:
    hansmar said:

Wow, what a generous offer. I think that would be great, so I could try to do something with it too.

@Horo: thanks. Still love making Bryce abstracts.

Post edited by Hansmar on
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

@ hansmar - thankyou...and realism only come's from lighting in my opinion....when you have good control of that, the scene dose all the work after that :) ...i mean some of the landscape images i have posted only consisted of a HDRI, good lighting and a terrain with default grey material, the lighting dose all the work to make the terrain look textured :)

edited December 1969

hansmar said:
    Roland4 said:
    hansmar said:

Wow, what a generous offer. I think that would be great, so I could try to do something with it too.

Sent me per PM your email adress so i can sent you the scene per email.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: The discussion you're having with David is indeed interesting, though like electro, I'm unable to follow the entire discussion. But since it deals with rendering images I can't see the two of you are hijacking this thread. Just the opposite, you're both contributing a great deal of information.

@Roland: Those eggs are mighty fine looking, especially the last few with the object inside.

@Sandy: Great looking picture. Those Mallards are sure having a time getting their share.

@electro: Eyes on that figure are probably some of the best I've seen in a long time. They have that "alive" look to them, instead of the normal stuffed animal look.

@hansmar: Neat abstract, sort of looks like red blood cells traveling down a tube.

edited December 1969

A little change and postwork.

FabergeEgg2c_copy.jpg
    750 x 500 - 278K
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

@Sandy: Great looking picture. Those Mallards are sure having a time getting their share.

Not just Mallard. Underneath there is a female Goosander

http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/gallery/birds/goosander-female-head-001.jpg

edited December 1969

A Jewelbox with postwork.

Jewelbox1_copy.jpg
    500 x 500 - 187K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Franontheedge: another nice scene. It helps to have nice props when setting up a scene.

Roland: The Fabergé eggs are looking great, especially the ones with the object inside. Good choice of lighting and materials.

Rareth: Love your gold render.

Sandy: that’s an interesting effect-the 360 panorama

Horo: I agree with Guss the discussion between you and David is interesting, understanding it, is something else ;)

Electro-elvis: lovely render

Hansmar: cool abstract

edited December 1969

@mermaid

There is a bit postwork in the work.

JewelBox1Big_copy.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 612K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis - I may be missing your question, but I added a cube behind the sphere to block the HDRI background and adjusted the cube's size so that it's reflections weren't interfering too much with the HDRI reflections. Would this work? Am I even in the ballpark? Bueller? :)

That's how I usually do it too.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

There's a couple of alternatives. With an all white background. You can wrap your scene in a white sphere that is transparent.

I haven't got time myself to test this but would it be possible to colour the sphere with the one sided material I seem to remembering seeing or reading about a few years ago?

It was a way of making a primitive only visible from one side. I'm thinking that that would allow the reflections through one way while not showing the source of them from the other way... if that makes any sense.

edited December 1969

A bit of landscaping. Again three stacked terrains in the foreground and three simple one in the background. Sky and ambient light by the HDRI, key light by the sun.

MountainChains.jpg
    1200 x 720 - 215K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

There's a couple of alternatives. With an all white background. You can wrap your scene in a white sphere that is transparent.

I haven't got time myself to test this but would it be possible to colour the sphere with the one sided material I seem to remembering seeing or reading about a few years ago?

It was a way of making a primitive only visible from one side. I'm thinking that that would allow the reflections through one way while not showing the source of them from the other way... if that makes any sense.

It does, that is an interesting idea... only... the back of the one sided surface would still be visible through the front. One of the problems is for rays grazing the very edges of geometry they pick up reflections from parts of the scene that are also visible to the camera directly. So if it is visible for one, it is visible for both. If you don't have that, then you end up with a weird "boundary" along the reflected edge due to lack of grazing angle reflection. Anyway, it is still an interesting idea. So don't think I am being dismissive. The whole topic I feel is worthy of more exploration and any idea's are welcome because you never know where they will lead until you give them a go.

@Horo, fantastic terrain render. You and Tim are really holding the landscaping fort!

My contribution is to tackle a rather difficult topic which is probably of limited interest to most people but might prove helpful for those that want to create photoreal images of glass and gems and such. It requires the use of phased hypertextures. Information on which Horo has provided here on his website. http://horo.ch/

Here in this PDF http://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/PhasedHT.pdf

Here is my video on the process. Bryce advanced gemstone effect using phased hypertextures - by David Brinnen

Be aware it is "advanced".

Gemish2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 89K
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much David.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:

You are welcome. If you want the source file for reference of the scene with the bucky's just email me, it is only a few kb's

Here's another example using the same approach with a more complex model.

Gemish3.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 362K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Roland: Really nice work on your latest eggs.

@David: Another very good video, and results using that method.

edited December 1969

Roland4 said:

You are welcome. If you want the source file for reference of the scene with the bucky's just email me, it is only a few kb's

Here's another example using the same approach with a more complex model.

Thank you very much for your offer David, but I work me through your tutorial. I know myself, if I have a finished scene, then I give myself no more trouble. What has worked itself lasts the longest.

edited December 1969

A lot of nice renders coming on here lately.

This was an attempt to see if the camera in Bryce could be made to sit half in and half out of the volume water plane. You will probably have seen the pictures where the camera is submersed in water and the picture shows the above and below scene at the same time. After hours of fiddling with it I gave up as it wont :) It comes close but even moving it by 0.0001 up or down either takes it under or above the surface. Not unless Horo or David have already done it and can let us into the secret :)

Anyway this is as close as I can get it.

Beneath the Ship

beneath-the-ship-001.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 527K
    edited December 1969

Fishtales said:
    A lot of nice renders coming on here lately.

This was an attempt to see if the camera in Bryce could be made to sit half in and half out of the volume water plane. You will probably have seen the pictures where the camera is submersed in water and the picture shows the above and below scene at the same time. After hours of fiddling with it I gave up as it wont :) It comes close but even moving it by 0.0001 up or down either takes it under or above the surface. Not unless Horo or David have already done it and can let us into the secret :)

Anyway this is as close as I can get it.

Beneath the Ship

This picture looks very very cool.

This discussion has been closed.