Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 8

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Fishtales said:
    A lot of nice renders coming on here lately.

This was an attempt to see if the camera in Bryce could be made to sit half in and half out of the volume water plane. You will probably have seen the pictures where the camera is submersed in water and the picture shows the above and below scene at the same time. After hours of fiddling with it I gave up as it wont :) It comes close but even moving it by 0.0001 up or down either takes it under or above the surface. Not unless Horo or David have already done it and can let us into the secret :)

Anyway this is as close as I can get it.

Beneath the Ship

Yes here is a challenge I have faced in the past when I made this image http://countrytraveleronline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/finders-poster.jpg

The "trick" is to use a solid terrain instead and position your camera along the edge. You can boolean cut a hole for the terrain and camera combo into an infinite plane and that lets you goto the horizon if you want to. See image 1 for untextured view.

Image 2 with textures applied and a second transparent cube used as a cutter to remove the back three solid faces of the terrain.

In the poster image I used the rocks to hide the join between terrain and what lay beyond it. And plants and other details hid any troublesome shadows caused by the cutting.

2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 270K
    1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 112K
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

@ Fishtales - nice looking scene you have there

@ David - the dragon scene looks great :)

@ Horo - that terrain scene looks amazing! :)

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,105
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:

This picture looks very very cool.

Thank you.

Your work with the jewellery and eggs is excellent.

edited December 1969

David

The workaround looks good but it doesn't really have the feel or look that the 'real' pictures have. For all that I still ended up with a half decent image in the end.

edited December 1969

its amazing the effect's you can get with just a tiny bit of bump and the default grey material :)

Desert_1.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 249K
    edited December 1969

its amazing the effect's you can get with just a tiny bit of bump and the default grey material :)

A space background and a space ship wouldn't be out of place :)

edited December 1969

@ Fishtales - that's not a bad idea, I will try a few thing's and see what i can come up with :)

edited December 1969

@ Fishtales - is this kind of what you had in mind ? :)

Desert_2.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 193K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Sandy: That's a wild looking image.

@Tim Bateman: My thoughts mirror Sandy's. Actually my first thought was of that image being a lunar landscape of some kind. What you've added it right on the money.

edited December 1969

@ Guss - thanks :)

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Horo - another beautiful render

David - another cool video, thanks

Fishtales- interesting effect more like a mirrored abstract

Tim Bateman - as usual lovely renders especially the space one, I must try the default material with bump, Thanks for the tip :)

edited December 1969

@ Fishtales - is this kind of what you had in mind ? :)

That's it, much more space/planet like :-)

edited December 1969

Fishtales said:
    David

The workaround looks good but it doesn't really have the feel or look that the 'real' pictures have. For all that I still ended up with a half decent image in the end.

So is the effect you are looking for optical rather than diagrammatic? I'm not familiar with the "real" pictures so it would help if you could point us at one and I'll maybe understand the question better.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,539
    edited November 2014

@David - thank you. Gems look great and the method applied to the dragon shows it off nicely.

@Sandy - not the easiest topic to tackle.

@Tim - thank you. I agree with you, I'm always amazed how good a terrain can look in default grey if it is at a good resolution and the light right.

@mermaid010 - thank you.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Fishtales said:
    David

So is the effect you are looking for optical rather than diagrammatic? I'm not familiar with the "real" pictures so it would help if you could point us at one and I'll maybe understand the question better.

A few here.

http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/over-under-split-photography

Loads here, some better than others.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?newwindow=1&safe=off&client=opera&biw=1261&bih=565&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=over+and+under+water+images&oq=over+and+under+water+images&gs_l=img.3...10345.13023.0.13373.6.6.0.0.0.0.139.784.0j6.6.0....0...1c.1.58.img..6.0.0.i03Zt2iFWKY

Especially the Crocodile one and the first one on this page.

http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/laups-2011-international-contest-winners

The problem with Bryce is that even with the waterline level with the centre of the camera 'lens' it is either above or below the waterline even moving it the slightest amount, +0.0001 or -0.0001, instead of splitting the image top and bottom. One way around it is to render the above image and then the below one and combine them in Photoshop but that is adding an extra process that I thought I would cut out :)

edited December 1969

@Sandy - particularly the first link shows what we often forget: air and water have different refraction indices. Some very good examples.

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited November 2014

Today i try to upload a scene file on sharecg. But it does not work, what i am doing wrong ?

edit: sorry, i have found the error. I have upload the last scene Faberge Egg. The scene is without lights and colors and only for learning.

If someone wants to have a scene he has seen once, sent me a PM and i will upload the scene on sharecg.

Post edited by Roland4 on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Sandy - particularly the first link shows what we often forget: air and water have different refraction indices. Some very good examples.

The knack is to balance the aperture and speed to get enough light from the underwater area and not blow out the air side or introduce too much noise :) If Bryce had allowed the lens to be split top and bottom then adding lights to the underwater part would compensate for any loss of light coming from above. With Bryce it would also be possible to set ideal conditions with good light and clear water. Hmm, I've had a thought on that one. Time for more experimenting :)

edited December 1969

Have added some DOF and some murkyness to the water - as well as modifying the refraction of the cutter.

The blue cube uses the process as explained in the recent video plus a bit of Horo's Garage Closed HDRI for good measure.

Gemish4.jpg
    850 x 850 - 222K
    P59_example_scene3_fish.jpg
    600 x 850 - 140K
    edited December 1969

@David - looks quite good, the water thingy. I'm currently working on the other, expect results per email soon.

edited November 2014

An icasohedron and a sphere is all that was needed. Within the tiny icasohedron is an HDRI that casts light and shadow onto the sphere that is a bit transparent and has some reflection. All stars are connected by lines - though I have no idea where the stars come from. The camera is looking through the GWL (gigantic wide angle fisheye lens) and covers about 300 degrees.

Stars+Lines.jpg
    1067 x 800 - 141K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

David

Re the above/below image. That is brilliant, it looks just as good as the images taken with the cameras.

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

I'm way out of the loop on this thread and don't know if Robin Wood's tutorial regarding above/below water renders has been discussed, and if it has, please accept my apologies. This may be helpful: http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/BryceTuts/BryceClasses/IBryce5/IBryceLesson5-5.html Again, if this has already been discussed, please forgive me. I'm more of a troll these days. :(

Art

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Again a Faberge Egg. It looks a bit older.

FabergeEgg3_copy.jpg
    500 x 500 - 139K
    edited December 1969

i liked the look so much i had to have a go at this :)

Half_Under_Water_1.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 232K
  • OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Nice work, Tim. What are you using for the caustics?

edited December 1969

@ Oroboros - thank's, and i used a square parallel light, and used this image as a gel :)

caustics.jpg
    800 x 800 - 223K
    edited December 1969

i have know idea why! ...but i thought i would share :)

Mars_1.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 87K
  • OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited November 2014

@ Oroboros - thank's, and i used a square parallel light, and used this image as a gel :)

Ooh, tile-able too, excellent :)

I love caustics. Here's an old product image I did for a company launching a new sonar/radar/chart interface. The modelling was all done in SolidWorks (not by me), but as is usually the case, the company needed product images before the product was actually built. So I stuck my hand up and said "Gimme the bits, I'll throw it in Bryce".

8120_caustics_fl01.jpg
    1082 x 909 - 428K
    Post edited by Oroboros on
    edited December 1969

@ Oroboros - wow that's not a bad render at all, nicely done :)

This discussion has been closed.