Anyone else a bit concerned by the pivot towards adult content?

Comments

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    edited April 19

Nudge nudge wink wink say no more. ;>)

Post edited by TJohn on
  • gfdamron1gfdamron1 Posts: 196

One of my biggest concerns with seeing some of my favorite artists from Renderocity move to DAZ is that their content would change to conform to DAZ's uptight rules. I'm very happy to see that is not the case (at least so far- the morality police are never far away).

The product page for Cheyenne is a very encouraging sign! Hopefully it will be a model for how DAZ shows their characters.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

As an european and finnish at that, I have no problem with nude promos, but as an adult I would like to see more products targeted at adult clients = More everyday, ordinary clothing, housing and vehicles.

• drucdruc Posts: 401

I'll chuck in my two bobs worth. I render nude pictures just the same as I render fully clothed pictures (or I wouldn't have spent so much on clothes). I was taken aback a little as it was a non announced change, from anything I saw. I like the idea of seeing an entire, textured character because I like to render all different nationalities and there are generally, darker areas on asian people that has not been depicted correctly on characters sold at Daz3d.com so I have always treated the purchases as a "lucky dip".   

• DripDrip Posts: 1,185

I'm glad the Daz store is returning to include more sexy outfits. It was in heavy decline since somewhere shortly after the introduction of Genesis 3.

I'm sure there's still a huge demand for less sexy products as well, so I'm sure artists will keep making them. But we're gladly getting options again, and artists who were reluctant to include provocative details, options or features to otherwise regular products may now feel more freedom to express their ideas to include them, even if it's just as options.

I'm also excited about the addition of a lot of high heeled footwear, which was seriously lacking the past few years. Some odd choices were made the past few years, with high heels included in outfits where they didn't fit, but more often, not included in outfits where they would have fit. Especially today, we got a lot of options to mix and match nice heels into older products that desperately needed them.

• ColinFrenchColinFrench Posts: 646

For many years, Daz reps explained the prudish nature of the Store was due to restrictions imposed by payment processors like PayPal or credit card companies. So have all these financial organizations suddenly become more permissive, or is it now evident that this was just a convenient excuse?

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,421

SilverGirl said:

I think it's entirely fair for folk to see what they're buying before they buy it. Will I ever render that level of detail? No. But it annoys the crap out of me when I can't see the back of an outfit when I'm considering buying it, so I figure it's like that, for people shopping for that stuff.

Personally, I'm more turned off by all the pose/expression sets marked "feminine" that really mean "seductive/sexy/demure" and the ones marked "masculine" that actually mean "aggressive." Can we join the modern age, please?

And like others, I'd like to see more balance.

+10! yes

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,314

Pancake said:

Timbales said:

I don't equate Nude with Lewd, but I'm also part of a figure drawing group that has weekly sessions with a nude model.

I don't necessarily have a problem with more adult themed content.

It's just that we've had this problem for way longer than I've been here where adult content is the best selling content, so PAs are motivated by that.

It just seems like the possibility of ever getting a decent variety of normal clothes, particularly male clothes, is slipping further and further away.

I don't really connect the two together. 

I've been shopping here more than 20 years now. That doesn't make me an expert or make my opinion any more valid, but there's a lot of reasons we don't see 'normal' clothes - especially for men - and I don't think it's because Daz will now show full human nudity in previews or sell some gen morphs. 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,461
    edited April 19

ColinFrench said:

For many years, Daz reps explained the prudish nature of the Store was due to restrictions imposed by payment processors like PayPal or credit card companies. So have all these financial organizations suddenly become more permissive, or is it now evident that this was just a convenient excuse?

I don't think Daz ever said that, it was a common assumption.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,461

KenYano said:

Didn't fetish and pinup artists pioneer these programs in the early days of the internet? I thought Daz started out that way with all the sexy clothing items they've offered sinc the begining.

Pin-ups hav certainly always been present among renders, but they haven't been the only things - and I certainly don't recall daz starting out with a pre-ponderance of pin-up material (rather the reverse).

• jcbunnjcbunn Posts: 270

I have to say THANK YOU to Daz and the Daz team! ^.

When you buy a toon , model, charactor... what ever it is you choose to call them, you are buying the shape BUT you are also buying the textures as they can be shared across all compatible shapes (gen 9), (gen 8) ect ect

To many times have I bought a product that looked great on the store page till i opened it in my Daz...

deformed body shape hidden under the cloths on the store page that we could not see till after we bought it, perfect 10 looking body texture on the store page, then in DAZ you find out it actually has

ugly deformed nipples and/or areola textures with ugly pre applied pubes baked into the texture. (thank you to the PA's that gave us 2 textures, 1 with and 1 without pubes so we could use our own!)

Now I would LOVE to see models come with areola color options, yep there are addons that can do it but most are terrible at it, or they break other things.

• FPFP Posts: 115
    Would you rather use characters without nipples and privates similar to a Barbie or Ken doll?
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,554
    edited April 19

I think it would be prudent to note that if nude images are now allowed, there is a greater chance of social media maniacs on the attack. I recently heard from a friend who posted promo's of his characters and started getting backlash after they checked his store, accusing him of being someone who goes after the underages.

I tried to say the reason for the nude or skimpy clothes is so people can see the skin and make sure there's no seams and such. They didn't understand my point and accused me of being just like my friend.

With regards to my friend, his characters are aged 18 to 21, their faces however tend to look much younger and that's what caused the problem. Anyone who defends him is accused of being someone who preys on the underaged. 

Now apply that to the characters sold in this store, the way they are dressed, now they are allowing the nude promo's....This could be the start of a big problem if those people start searching Daz's store. Those people who attacked my friend have been going through the Renderosity store and won't be long before they come here.

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

PerttiA said:

As an european and finnish at that, I have no problem with nude promos, but as an adult I would like to see more products targeted at adult clients = More everyday, ordinary clothing, housing and vehicles.

What does everyday, ordinary clothing have to do with being an adult client??  I just hit 60 and have no need for everyday assets since I don't render every day life scenes, mostly fantasy and pinups.

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 746

Faeryl Womyn said:

I think it would be prudent to note that if nude images are now allowed, there is a greater chance of social media maniacs on the attack. I recently heard from a friend who posted promo's of his characters and started getting backlash after they checked his store, accusing him of being someone who goes after the underages.

I tried to say the reason for the nude or skimpy clothes is so people can see the skin and make sure there's no seams and such. They didn't understand my point and accused me of being just like my friend.

With regards to my friend, his characters are aged 18 to 21, their faces however tend to look much younger and that's what caused the problem. Anyone who defends him is accused of being someone who preys on the underaged. 

Now apply that to the characters sold in this store, the way they are dressed, now they are allowing the nude promo's....This could be the start of a big problem if those people start searching Daz's store. Those people who attacked my friend have been going through the Renderosity store and won't be long before they come here.

I think the number of sexy schoolgirl (and similar) outfits in the Daz catalog are not going to help matters. Same with the fact that as a digital character, you can SAY their age is whatever you want but what people are going to go by is their perception of what an age looks like. 

I mean, when I was in my 20's I had a lot of creepy dudes hitting on me because they thought I was underage, so perception is very much an issue in real life, too. It's just that an actual person can prove they're not under-age. A digital asset can't (unless you're modeling it off a real person).

• gambit70_NZ said:

Pancake said:

Timbales said:

I don't equate Nude with Lewd, but I'm also part of a figure drawing group that has weekly sessions with a nude model.

It's just that we've had this problem for way longer than I've been here where adult content is the best selling content, so PAs are motivated by that.

It just seems like the possibility of ever getting a decent variety of normal clothes, particularly male clothes, is slipping further and further away.

I have no problem with adult content and think that realistic anatomy/detail adds to the power to create realistic images.  Having said that I 100% agree with Pancake that the problem is the lack of "normal" content, especially if you want to create images with normal females.  I know someone here said the adult (skimpwear) content sells but can it really be true that people only feel the need to buy yet another themed bikini set?  

My thought on the matter is it's not so much the content, as the flexibility. I admit I'm one of the artists who also tends to dabble in more adult material, and from my experience most of the full outfits tend to be pretty rigid in terms of posing. They'll follow the characters, but that's about it. There are a few artists who will add poses - Aeon, OutofTouch, Lilflame, and Fugazi come to mind - but most just slap dForce on it, give it the adjustments to handle poke throughs and such, and maybe let a ribbon spin. Now, I'm not a modeler, but I'd bet one of the reason the skimpy outfits get pushed more by the artists is that they're smaller pieces, so a bit easier to add the flexibility while probably simpler to work on. So you end up in a loop where a good outfit is hard to find, but Bikingerie #56712345 is making money. From a story telling perspective, I'd love more buttons, zippers, and overall interaction with the outfits. They're just not getting designed that way. 

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,939
    edited April 20

FSMCDesigns said:

PerttiA said:

What does everyday, ordinary clothing have to do with being an adult client??  I just hit 60 and have no need for everyday assets since I don't render every day life scenes, mostly fantasy and pinups.

I'm not that poster, but I can tell you that if you use DAZ as part of some sort of professional capacity... ie book illustration, concept art, storyboarading and animatics, courtroom simulations, etc.,.. having a wide variety of  "normal" daily clothes, props and environments to draw on is invaluable.  For example, if I want to show a large group of businesspeople using DAZ, for example, those kind of assets still don't exist for the male half of G9, so I have to use assets for at least three different DAZ figure generations at once, and given that the bulk of what I'm using was made for the G3s and G8s, why would I even want to bother trying to autofit something to G9 for the scene?  Providing these things tailored to each new generation as they came out is part of the reason that many of the people in those areas continued using Poser and the Victoria 4 gen figures even when the software program itself was stagnating under the aegis of SmithMicro.  

Post edited by Cybersox on

woodenauthor said:

gambit70_NZ said:

Pancake said:

Timbales said:

I have no problem with adult content and think that realistic anatomy/detail adds to the power to create realistic images.  Having said that I 100% agree with Pancake that the problem is the lack of "normal" content, especially if you want to create images with normal females.  I know someone here said the adult (skimpwear) content sells but can it really be true that people only feel the need to buy yet another themed bikini set?  

My thought on the matter is it's not so much the content, as the flexibility. I admit I'm one of the artists who also tends to dabble in more adult material, and from my experience most of the full outfits tend to be pretty rigid in terms of posing. They'll follow the characters, but that's about it. There are a few artists who will add poses - Aeon, OutofTouch, Lilflame, and Fugazi come to mind - but most just slap dForce on it, give it the adjustments to handle poke throughs and such, and maybe let a ribbon spin. Now, I'm not a modeler, but I'd bet one of the reason the skimpy outfits get pushed more by the artists is that they're smaller pieces, so a bit easier to add the flexibility while probably simpler to work on. So you end up in a loop where a good outfit is hard to find, but Bikingerie #56712345 is making money. From a story telling perspective, I'd love more buttons, zippers, and overall interaction with the outfits. They're just not getting designed that way. 

I do think you're adressing a pretty important problem with full outfits. They tend to lack options and detail. Things like no seams, pockets which won't open, dForce settings which don't make sense for the fabric, sometimes even full outfits (like pants, shoes, shirt and jacket) all in one single object instead of seperates that might be combined with other outfits. Occasionally, someone does release a full outfit that's actually well done in almost every aspect, and on those rare occasions, half the forum is gushing about it and make it an insta-buy.

But, it's risky for a designer to invest in these "normal" outfits. If something just won't click with the customers, then it won't sell, and a LOT of time has been wasted. And it just has to sell extremely well, because they can't afford to hitch the price up to $60 where a bikini generally goes for around $20 (not including discounts on either), because that higher price would also cut into the potential sales. I know some of the PA's make stuff for Daz on the side, while they mostly earn from some other job, and they can sometimes afford to spend that time on all those necessary details. But there are also some PA's who mostly make a living from what they sell here, and they just can't afford to spend that amount of time on one release, because their Daz paycheck is required to pay their bills, and they can't postpone receiving it.

• ValiskaValiska Posts: 80

The lack of a sufficient assortment of ordinary, credible clothing is why, a decade ago, I gave up on trying to use Daz Studio to make book covers. The potential was there. The models weren't, and aren't, for most genres.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,939

Drip said:

woodenauthor said:

gambit70_NZ said:

Pancake said:

Timbales said:

I do think you're adressing a pretty important problem with full outfits. They tend to lack options and detail. Things like no seams, pockets which won't open, dForce settings which don't make sense for the fabric, sometimes even full outfits (like pants, shoes, shirt and jacket) all in one single object instead of seperates that might be combined with other outfits. Occasionally, someone does release a full outfit that's actually well done in almost every aspect, and on those rare occasions, half the forum is gushing about it and make it an insta-buy.

But, it's risky for a designer to invest in these "normal" outfits. If something just won't click with the customers, then it won't sell, and a LOT of time has been wasted. And it just has to sell extremely well, because they can't afford to hitch the price up to $60 where a bikini generally goes for around $20 (not including discounts on either), because that higher price would also cut into the potential sales. I know some of the PA's make stuff for Daz on the side, while they mostly earn from some other job, and they can sometimes afford to spend that time on all those necessary details. But there are also some PA's who mostly make a living from what they sell here, and they just can't afford to spend that amount of time on one release, because their Daz paycheck is required to pay their bills, and they can't postpone receiving it.

And that is where DAZ itself should be stepping up, because if the needed assets aren't here, then the people who do that work will go elsewhere and find other solutions.  I'm sure that I'm not a typical DAZ customer, but I know that  I would far rather get a couple of basic men's business suits and more female clothing suitible for upper level work (or church,) even if those items come broken into pieces, as a PC+ item than yet another collection of weeds, non-sensical fantasy animal, impractical vehicle, or redundant skimpwear.  And let's not even get into the items included in the bundles, which are often useful ONLY for titilating and "fantasy" images.  The new Cheyene bundle is a perfect example, as, despite a very good job of creating a figure that showcases many of the correct ethnic traits, both of the "period" outfits included appear to be highly feminized versions of outfits traditionally worn by males, not females.  Sigh...     

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,641

I am not leaning into this, because I do create products for childrens books and do not want to be affiliated with a site source that might be deemed as porno by some others. Kid's content authors and animation creators have to abide by children's content, which must have explicit age appropriate content. And avoid disturbing childrens content. So I don't get why DAZ forbid shoulder exposure in kids clothes back a year or few ago, but yet DAZ can muster up nudies when they have no idea of the age of the viewer. Daz never ever asked my age, I could be a 6 year old kid. I repeat: they never ever asked my age. Is your kid on here? What are the ages of users. Is a 9 year old here? That is a huge mistake. Giant, humoungous mistake. Nudies avalable at a click without konwing the age of the cllickers.

• KenYanoKenYano Posts: 101

Devianttuna is now selling stuff here and LilFlame is back too. Good news to me.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    edited April 20

I have no issues with nudes, even if I don't render them. It's just the human body. But...I do echo the same concerns others have laid out...lack of non-skimp content. It's already hard enough to find good, full outfits...especially for male figures. I have a sinking feeling it's only going to get worse from here. PA's make what sells...and if the majority of what sells is skimp...then skimp will be it. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

Cybersox said:

FSMCDesigns said:

PerttiA said:

I'm not that poster, but I can tell you that if you use DAZ as part of some sort of professional capacity... ie book illustration, concept art, storyboarading and animatics, courtroom simulations, etc.,.. having a wide variety of  "normal" daily clothes, props and environments to draw on is invaluable.  For example, if I want to show a large group of businesspeople using DAZ, for example, those kind of assets still don't exist for the male half of G9, so I have to use assets for at least three different DAZ figure generations at once, and given that the bulk of what I'm using was made for the G3s and G8s, why would I even want to bother trying to autofit something to G9 for the scene?  Providing these things tailored to each new generation as they came out is part of the reason that many of the people in those areas continued using Poser and the Victoria 4 gen figures even when the software program itself was stagnating under the aegis of SmithMicro.  

I totally get that there is a lack of everday items. I responded becauee it sounded like only adults use the everyday items  and non adults, kids, immature people, etc use the skimpy stuiff

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,926

I am not concerned a single tiny bit.
    I am fully in favor of adult content and I am sure, that DAZ will not go to extrems, if they decided to go there.
    All this avoiding, warning of nudity on websites, TV shows movies is completley ridiculous. 
    Nudity does NOT mean porn.
    No person, not even a child, has ever been harmed by just looking at a nude body.

• ainm.sloinneadhainm.sloinneadh Posts: 345
    edited April 20

I welcome the improved range of available products. Honestly, what upsets me more are the products that are clearly sexualised, and often, to my aesthetic and experience, inappropriately. That's not me being uptight - it's more about safeguarding and societal pressures and not being entirely comfortable with what I see. I can even point to some promos from the previous few days that I consider signals to a product's suitability for uses that would probably upset a lot of people if it was pointed out and explained to them. That's the issue, not a floppy cucumber or a pair of udders.

I don't mind admitting that I picked up some of the recent stuff people that might consider adult. By no means do I create anything approaching adult content - not in my estimation (see above - I think that content has already been here for a long time). Instead, I've introduced a naturalist couple into my current project, specifically because that's the perfect foil to some of my other characters who are uptight about that sort of thing. I'm having fun creating those characters' reactions to what are just normal people bits.

Those normal people bits are already sold in the Daz store and it's high time there were more options for them without having to trawl through sites that are explicitly adult-orientated. Stumbled across those and no thank you. Take pubic hair, for example - I've lost count of the number of characters I've bought and I didn't yet have anything but brazillians and landing strips. That sends a very clear signal to me about what the editorial direction has been for artists and Daz. By allowing 'adult' content into the store, Daz has now opened up the possibility of products openly aimed at that sort of thing and that will encourage greater variation. Far better than "we'll do one bundled mesh and stick to the current fashions and expectations". It's now more like "okay, this is acceptable, I don't have to hide it bundled elsewhere - I can build a whole product around it".

Then there are products promos like those on https://www.daz3d.com/striga-g8f-v8. How can you not love that? I think she's glorious, and I'd be missing a massive part of that glory if it was grey-mapped and nipple-less.

Post edited by ainm.sloinneadh on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited April 20

There are been nudes in every school library in history books, religious and mythology books, art books, medical books, and more. It was that way long before I went to elementary school back long ago; so the whole debate seems a bit forced. 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

ArtAngel said:

I am not leaning into this, because I do create products for childrens books and do not want to be affiliated with a site source that might be deemed as porno by some others. Kid's content authors and animation creators have to abide by children's content, which must have explicit age appropriate content. And avoid disturbing childrens content. So I don't get why DAZ forbid shoulder exposure in kids clothes back a year or few ago, but yet DAZ can muster up nudies when they have no idea of the age of the viewer. Daz never ever asked my age, I could be a 6 year old kid. I repeat: they never ever asked my age. Is your kid on here? What are the ages of users. Is a 9 year old here? That is a huge mistake. Giant, humoungous mistake. Nudies avalable at a click without konwing the age of the cllickers.

1- The mature content filter is on by default. A kid cannot browse the mature content in the store unless they have made an account and disabled this filter. Creating an account requires a credit card. I doubt many 6 year olds have credit cards. When you disabled the mature content tag, that is Daz asking you if you are an adult. At some point in this process, I would expect a parent to be around.

2- If a kid is browsing using their parent's account or credit card to acces the site...that's on the parent! It is on the parent regardless of the situation. This notion we cannot keep kids away from certain content is pretty silly IMO. If you don't trust your kid on the internet, you do not let them access the internet. You can block websites and only allow them to access sites you approve of. I don't know why a parent would approve of Daz in the first place if they have issues with certain content given the nature of a 3D asset store itself, long before Cheyanne's promo pic. You can block websites at the router level, so no matter what device they have they are unable to access on the wifi. And if a kid finds a way to get around all the blocks, well, congrats to them. They join their ancestors who found their dad's Playboys stash or flipped the TV channel to Cinemax when the parents were out. Honestly I might just laugh a little. At least they showed their ability to solve a problem.

3- There are far worse things a kid could find in the store before Cheyanne's promo pic. Many promos can be suggestive, and even when they are not, are you really OK with a kid looking at the lingerie in the Daz store??? Even if it is only shown on a mannequin, that's kind of weird for a kid to see in the first place, right? Not to mention the nature of the software loads up models without clothing. But this image of Cheyanne is the problem now?

4- And this just isn't a problem in places like Europe or other countries outside of the US. Somehow young Europeans are able to handle seeing a nude human without losing their mind. Are they built different? Or is it perhaps our society's constant repression that creates these taboos in the first place?

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,957
    edited April 20

I am not concerned in the least, as adult-themed content has been around since the beginning, and hopefully we can get better bends and JCMS that takes the non-mainstream bend morphs into consideration, 'ala  "Project Evolution ONE By: Erogenesis"

That, and the influx of renderosity's best coming over here who have "adult-themed" items in their catalogues, does not upset, nor surprise me that Daz would change their system to be more accommodating for our newest PAs, as they are an incredibly magnificent addition to our shopfront!

I myself have spent the last half-hour or so to wishlist, and snag items which were once forbidden to me, as I'm unable to frequent that other shop due to the fact that in order for me to change my account info, I would need to buy something, yet in order to buy something, I need to update my !!@#()&!* account info!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on

Cybersox said:

Drip said:

woodenauthor said:

gambit70_NZ said:

Pancake said:

Timbales said:

And that is where DAZ itself should be stepping up, because if the needed assets aren't here, then the people who do that work will go elsewhere and find other solutions.  I'm sure that I'm not a typical DAZ customer, but I know that  I would far rather get a couple of basic men's business suits and more female clothing suitible for upper level work (or church,) even if those items come broken into pieces, as a PC+ item than yet another collection of weeds, non-sensical fantasy animal, impractical vehicle, or redundant skimpwear.  And let's not even get into the items included in the bundles, which are often useful ONLY for titilating and "fantasy" images.  The new Cheyene bundle is a perfect example, as, despite a very good job of creating a figure that showcases many of the correct ethnic traits, both of the "period" outfits included appear to be highly feminized versions of outfits traditionally worn by males, not females.  Sigh...     

I agree that Daz should step up to find a solution. However, I do not think limiting what kind of assets are allowed would be that solution. There's only so much lingerie and bikini's we'll need, so sales on that front will decline a bit in time. Not in total, but definitely per product released, so discouragement for designing yet another bikini will happen more or less automatically soon enough.

What's more needed, is some kind of encouragement for designers to do make those non-skimp standard clothes and male outfits, and to make them well. I'm not sure how they can encourage designers to do so, but the risk for designers to flat out miss a week (or more) of income due to the time required to make stuff like that needs to be off-set somehow. There should be a carrot for making regular clothes, not a stick for not making them.