GenX2 Update / Genesis 3 Add-On [Commercial]

Comments

• zen3dzen_f7e6e61b4f: Have you installed the updated plugin? Check the version info for "Genesis Generation X2" in "about installed plugins". Only the most recent version 2.1.0.0 is able to read the actual figure definitions.

I have the same problem :( I installed, uninstalled GenX2 AddOn for Genesis 3 several times, I used manual installation and via DAZ Install Manager. But I can't get version 2.1.0.0 any way. Help --> About installed plugins --> Genesis Generation X Bundle --> Genesis Generation X2 show me Version: 2.0.2.0

How can i get version 2.1.0.0? I use PC Windows 7 Pro. Are there any secrets of plug-in installation, which are not described in manual?

• Dimension3DDimension3D Posts: 464

I have no idea why DIM or the executable installer should fail to update the GenX plugin. All it has to do is to overwrite the file d3dGenX2.dll (or dylib on Mac). Maybe if you have several versions of DS installed, it installs it for a different version than you expect.

If anything else fails, you can do a manual install as follows:

1. Use DIM to download the ZIPs for Genesis Generation X2, but don't let DIM install it.

2. Use a ZIP app to unzip the file "d3dGenX2.dll" from the product ZIP and place it manually into the "plugins" folder of DAZ Studio. Be sure that the ZIP is the actual version (the file date of the DLL must be from 2016) and that you use the correct version for 32/64 bit of DAZ Studio.

Of course, DAZ Studio must be not running, or you can't replace the DLL while it is in use.

• Hi there I need some help. I created a custom morph which is currently saved under MORPHS on the figure but I'd like to use that morph in genesis 3 and I don't want to have to create it again (Mainly because I've forgotten how I even did it!) When I use gen x to transfer morphs it never turns up in the list and I've hunted through the entire list looking for it. Is there anyway to transfer this morph? Can you give me step by step instructions on how to do it? I'd be really greatful! Thanks!

The morph is a fully body monster morph I created in sculptris, it works well on genesis 2 but I want to use it with genesis 3. The morph also only appears on the parameters tab not shaping and I'm not sure how to move it to there.

•  All it has to do is to overwrite the file d3dGenX2.dll (or dylib on Mac)..

Thank you, Dimension3D, for reply.I found what is the problem. I have no d3dGenX2.dll at all in ZIP file.In the folder C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\ I have two files d3dGenX.dll with date 22.02.2014 and d3dGenX2.dll date 25.02.2015 It looks that somebody stole the file from my package.crying  As you see, I like your products. Have you ideas how the problem may be fixed?

• ButchButch Posts: 798

If any of you were heard distant screaming, that was me trying to transfer characters to G3M.  Every time I genx'd them, it would appear ok but, when I used the morph on a new g3, nothing happened.  There was something, somewhere that was interferring.  Using Sickleyields Devianart tutorial, I loaded my old character into daz, cloned and boned it to create a single dial shape. Loaded a clean genesis or g2m, dialed in the newly created shape and then used genx2 "selected morph" to transfer it to g3.  Probably more convoluted than it should be, but all I wanted was the body shape and it worked.

marktresidder_546a885e49: Open the DSF file for the morph in a text editor (you may need to uncompress it first) and look for the keyword "presentation". There should be a line "type" next, which has to be followed by "Modifier/Shape" to declare the dial as a morph.

Citizen217: The actual installers should be available both in DIM and under "product library" in your DAZ account.

Butch: The tutorial you linked to is about the transfer utility, not about GenX. When you transfer a morph with GenX, it is listed in the "Shape" tab for the figure automatically, no need to apply it.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Hi, I have a (probably pretty stupid) question.  I'm trying to put take Kenji 7's shape and put it on Genesis1, but I'm running into difficulty.

Ironically I can put Sasori (a character morph for Kenji7) onto Genesis1 with very little problem, because there are poses for the shape in the Sasori character folder.  But since I can't seem to find any pose files for Kenji (except in the parameters within G3M itself) I can't seem to find any way to figure out how to transfer the Kenji shape.  The most I seem to get is that I when I max out the kenji 7 parameter dial on my Genesis1, that a belly button appears, not much else (I tried simply dragging and dropping the Kenji7 base character into the pose channel in Gen X2, which is probably not the way to do it).

Is there some way I can pull up a G3M, dial in the Kenji 7 shape, and save it as a pose file that I can then use in Gen X2 to transport into Genesis1?

You don't need a pose to transfer a morph like Kenji. Kenji is a single morph, you can transfer it directly. To do so, you use the transfer mode "Selected morphs" and select the Kenji morph dial in the morph list of GenX. (You only need the main dial, all depedent morphs are included in the transfer automatically.)

• Dimension3D - checked the morph file in the text editior and it says modifier/shape . It's still not appearing in genX though or in the shaping tab.

Well, compare your morph with the settings in a morph file that is shown in the shaping tab. There must be some difference. May also be missing group or region or something else. Maybe just a misspelling of some keyword.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Since I seem to have the memory of a guppy these days, could someone please remind me where I can find the figure to which I have transfered morphs using GenX2.

Specifically I used GenX (GenX2 in fact) to transfer Ysabeau head morph (Gensis 2 female) to Genesis 3 female. This all seemed to work but there is no indication as to where the resulting file (duf file??) is located.

I know that you can specify an output file path but then GenX warns you that the morphs need to be in the same folder. That seems to defeat the advantage of specifying your own desired output path.

So where will my G3f with Ysabeau's head be located? 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,017

You will not get a character duf file (as far as I know). You will find morphs in the Parameters pane Actors section when you load Genesis 3 Female and select her in the Scene pane.. You have to dial in the Genesis 2 Female head and the Ysabeau head from various Generation X sections of the parameters. It is very confusing until you've done it a couple times.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Thanks barbult... that was the jog my memory needed. :)

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,873
    barbult said:

You will not get a character duf file (as far as I know). You will find morphs in the Parameters pane Actors section when you load Genesis 3 Female and select her in the Scene pane.. You have to dial in the Genesis 2 Female head and the Ysabeau head from various Generation X sections of the parameters. It is very confusing until you've done it a couple times.

Confusing, yet simple. And straightforward documentation would have clarified this so easily. Thanks, barbult.

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,702

In trying to use Gen X with Genesis 3, I am getting the following errors:  

• Error reading definition genesis3m.gxt
    • Error reading definition genesis3f.gxt
  • JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,702

I uninstalled and reinstalled, it "sees", the genesis 3 figures now, but when I try to do the transfer (from genesis to genesis 3 male), I get this error now:

GenX - Transferring morphs.

Loading target figure ...

Loading figure ...

C:/Users/user/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 3/Male/Genesis3Male.dsf

Creating clone morph ...

Could not find intermediate figure definition.

Error creating morph from clone.

• You have to install the updates for all add-ons as well. (In this case, the Genesis 2 add-on is not up to date.)

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

Having some kind of issue. I installed genesis 2 male and female starter essentials, updated genx2 plugin, addon for genesis 2, and addon for genesis 3. Attempting to transfer V4 morphs to genesis 3 female. Here is the log I get

GenX - Transferring morphs.

Creating clone morph ...

Loading figure ...

R:/G3F Content/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 3/Female/Genesis3Female.dsf

Creating intermediate clone morph ...

Loading figure ...

R:/My Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Female/Genesis2Female.dsf

Creating intermediate clone morph ...

Loading figure ...

Error loading figure.

Error creating intermediate morph from clone.

Error creating intermediate morph from clone.

Error creating morph from clone.

edited August 2016

I have attempted to load a Poser Michael 4 character using the methods described in the genx2.pdf.  I dragged and dropped the INJ file (.pz2) to the Transfer tab without success. I tried the Load Figure button and the log said This is not a valid figure, (the default file type was .cr2). The Apply Pose button is italicized and dimmed/grayed out. 

I can load the figure onto Michael 4 with no problem. I just can't get GenX2 to recognize the .pz2. What have I missed?

I have loaded Michael 4 / Victoria 4 characters into GenX2 before, but they were in the native Daz3D Library, not the Poser folder.

I had to File > Export > .cr2 the M4 shape so that GenX2 would accept it. I found clues here and here.

Post edited by xyer0 on
    edited August 2016

My victory was premature. For each morph, the Transfer log said: Warning! DSF file not found for morph. I was thinking, well, it's a .cr2. Why would it have a DSF file? But I could find no corresponding character preset in the morph list; so, I guess it didn't take. Any clues?

I was sure that I ticked conforming figure instead of base figure before (when saving my .cr2), but this time there was a flurry of disk activity and a lot of dsf files got saved. Finally got the transfer to happen, but where was my character morph? I repeated the process to no avail. Finally, I exited and restarted DS. And there, in the GenX folder of the Parameters tab was my morph. Then came the figuring out how much of Genesis 2 Male (none), Michael 4 (.5) and the M4 character (.5) would give me the closest approximation.

Post edited by xyer0 on
  • TheKD: Do you have all the basic figures (i.e. Genesis, Genesis 2 F/M, and Genesis 3 F/M) installed? Because the clone morphs are defined only for the previous generation of figures, GenX needs them all to transfer from Poser figures to Genesis 3.

xyer0: Usually, all you have to do is to load the original M4 CR2 into GenX, and then apply the PZ2 that injects morphs and sets morph values. Saving as a new CR2 should be required only in rare cases (e.g. for binary morph injections, which are not supported by GenX).

Dialing the base morph (in your case M4) and the transferred morph to 1 should give you the closest result. Also, you need to start a new scene after transferring morphs, otherwise DS may use a cached version of the Genesis figure without looking for new morphs.

xyer0: Usually, all you have to do is to load the original M4 CR2 into GenX, and then apply the PZ2 that injects morphs and sets morph values. Saving as a new CR2 should be required only in rare cases (e.g. for binary morph injections, which are not supported by GenX).

Dialing the base morph (in your case M4) and the transferred morph to 1 should give you the closest result. Also, you need to start a new scene after transferring morphs, otherwise DS may use a cached version of the Genesis figure without looking for new morphs.

Thanks for your response. I did not consider loading the M4 base into GenX. Thanks for telling me. I've never had to do that before. Perhaps that is why dialing my transferred morph in at 1 produced a grotesque caricature. What are the criteria for choosing between Michael 4, Clone, and the other option (I forget what it was) during transfer?

• The transfer Shape selection defines what morph you want to use as the base morph to turn Genesis into the shape of the source figure. While the clone morphs are very close to the original shape, GenX also supports some dedicated legacy morphs (sold at DAZ by other vendors), which may use a different base pose, so the transferred morphs need additional corrections to work.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

TheKD: Do you have all the basic figures (i.e. Genesis, Genesis 2 F/M, and Genesis 3 F/M) installed? Because the clone morphs are defined only for the previous generation of figures, GenX needs them all to transfer from Poser figures to Genesis 3.

Ah darn, I will have to grab genesis 1 figures, I didn't know I needed them installed as well. Thanks  :)  

TheKD said:

TheKD: Do you have all the basic figures (i.e. Genesis, Genesis 2 F/M, and Genesis 3 F/M) installed? Because the clone morphs are defined only for the previous generation of figures, GenX needs them all to transfer from Poser figures to Genesis 3.

Ah darn, I will have to grab genesis 1 figures, I didn't know I needed them installed as well. Thanks  :)  

At least they are free.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,950

A perhaps not-so-quick question about transferring assets from computer to computer.  I'm looking at upgrading my computer in the next year, but I have a LOT of custom characters that I've built up using GenX and GenX2, and the assets that they're based on are spread out over several content folders. 

If I want to save the characters I've created and transfer them to a new computer, what is the best way to pull out just all those files and resave them on a new machine?   

The transfer Shape selection defines what morph you want to use as the base morph to turn Genesis into the shape of the source figure. While the clone morphs are very close to the original shape, GenX also supports some dedicated legacy morphs (sold at DAZ by other vendors), which may use a different base pose, so the transferred morphs need additional corrections to work.

Thanks. I'm gonna have to make my own manual from this thread and the other one.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    TheKD said:

Don't forget, the various Starter Essentials aren't only the different generations of Genesis figures, you also get basic clothes, hair, and some props and accessories to let you start to put together scenes without needing to buy anything. It gives you extra flexibility; there's really never any need to not download and install the Starter Essentials packs.

edited August 2016

A perhaps not-so-quick question about transferring assets from computer to computer.  I'm looking at upgrading my computer in the next year, but I have a LOT of custom characters that I've built up using GenX and GenX2, and the assets that they're based on are spread out over several content folders. 

If I want to save the characters I've created and transfer them to a new computer, what is the best way to pull out just all those files and resave them on a new machine?   

Have you looked at Content Gatherer? You would have to add the characters to a scene and then Content Gatherer should find all the dependent content files and zip them up in a handy file to move to the other computer. It worked well for me, but I wasn't specifically moving GenX custom stuff.

Post edited by barbult on
  • seeker273seeker273 Posts: 449
    edited August 2016

This looks super useful!!! I'm not too tech savvy so I'd like to know if it can actually do what I need it for.

I mainly want it for the toony figures that have great big head and eyes and tiny bodies. I especially love Callie, does anyone have her and would be willing to post a step by step for dummies on how to transfer her? Much appreciated :)

Post edited by seeker273 on