The Twinkies and Lime Jello Complaint Thread -- Now With More Squirrels!

Comments

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited December 2012

ps1borg said:

Nice drawing, do the runes say the name or something else?

I thought I pointed that out ^_^;

They spell out the name as best as I could match it. "reiharisu". ^_^
    I only stumbled a bit when it got to the "THA" part of my name, where there is no such equivalent in Japanese. Someone pointed out the best matches would be 'te' or 'ha', but the way I pronounce it 'ha' would be better

I didn't want to risk pasting in the Katakana characters since while the forum text field seems to support 'em, I dunno if doing so is allowed by the forum's TOS D=

Mmm in hindsight it might have been better to double the 'a' sound... "Reihaarisu". *ponders it*

Post edited by Rezca on
    edited December 2012

Is my new avy showing up? O_O

*edit* Hmm no still shows the snake for me. Mm... Last time it took a few posts before it updated.

Post edited by Rezca on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,985
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Rezca said:
    Ignore my last picture...

This one is much better! :D

Bahh... But Transcribing my name into katakana is.... Tough. According to this text editor I'm using, there is a way to get a "tha" sound by mixing a (te) and a smaller (a) character.... But... I don't even know if that's possible in regular Japanese. The only other way I can think of is to use (ha) instead.

So I have either the way it is now (reitharisu) or play it safe and only use sounds I know exist and type it as (reiharisu)

...I need someone who can write in Japanese to help me so badly XD

Anyway... Not my name "Akaikosh", which I've already gotten down pretty well, but my wyvern-sona's name "Rae-Thalis".

*edit to add* That in this image I went with the latter spelling using "ha" ^_^

Put it into Google Translate from English to Arabic. Not only is the Arabic script beautiful, but the Arabic pronunciation is lovely as well.
    ...was playing around with Translate tonight. The synthesized male voice is really bad. The synthesized female voice is much better but only available with some, not all, of the languages listed.
    edited December 1969

Thanks!

oh yeah, ice cream cake.

Carvel makes a ice cream birthday cake shaped like a jumbo cupcake. every time i visit a carvel store i stop to sigh over the cupcake ice cream cake in desire.

...ooooh a flutterby cake.
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,048
    edited December 1969

Ledhead said:

Had my test done today and everything was much easier than I had anticipated.
    I won't get the results until next week.

Well, I'm glad the test went well... I hope the findings are even better... Good luck!
    edited December 1969

Squirrel drop! Sorry no tentacles... :-P

...Attack of the Amazing Colossal Squirrel

...In Tail Twitching 3D!!!!!!

edited December 1969

Playing with the Mental Ray demo a bit. Am finding it much easier to play with now that they've updated it a bit. Oh yeah, and removing the 32bit-only restriction they had helped a ton XD

Haha, some of the quirks with iRay have been ironed out too. Hm... I thinks they need more sample scenes. ^_^
    Like using HDRI/IBL illumination o3o

This was my attempt...
    (Oh yeah and I found that Mental Ray's materials don't like showing up unless they have a bitmap applied to them it seems. o3o )
    (The dwaggy - reduced in polygons by a ton so I could use it in the demo - has Cinema's native procedurals on it, and the cube is a M4D material)

Untitled_5.jpg
    600 x 450 - 80K
    edited December 1969

Mm and as my avy is still showing the snake (I do love it yes, but I just made an avy of my own that I am super-proud of and so want to sport that for a while XD) , I'll just show it here:

RaeGyph_avy_FA.jpg
    100 x 100 - 12K
  • ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Party time in Melbourne, the smell and chatter of BBQ cooking and family from almost every backyard and balcony today :)

If you ever get to Kansas City, look me up and I'll take you to get some BBQ that could only be dreamed about down under. Plus you will get to see the real Land of Oz.

Ha .... jus messin' with ya .... we luv you aussies. Enjoy your party (parties).

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Ledhead said:

Had my test done today and everything was much easier than I had anticipated.
    I won't get the results until next week.

Well, I'm glad the test went well... I hope the findings are even better... Good luck!

Thx lordvicore, much appreciated!

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    ps1borg said:

Nice drawing, do the runes say the name or something else?

I thought I pointed that out ^_^;

They spell out the name as best as I could match it. "reiharisu". ^_^
    I only stumbled a bit when it got to the "THA" part of my name, where there is no such equivalent in Japanese. Someone pointed out the best matches would be 'te' or 'ha', but the way I pronounce it 'ha' would be better

I didn't want to risk pasting in the Katakana characters since while the forum text field seems to support 'em, I dunno if doing so is allowed by the forum's TOS D=

Mmm in hindsight it might have been better to double the 'a' sound... "Reihaarisu". *ponders it*

Dont know about sound but they look intriguing and.kinda magical :)

edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    Mm and as my avy is still showing the snake (I do love it yes, but I just made an avy of my own that I am super-proud of and so want to sport that for a while XD) , I'll just show it here:

Ooh nice :)

edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    ps1borg said:
    Party time in Melbourne, the smell and chatter of BBQ cooking and family from almost every backyard and balcony today :)

If you ever get to Kansas City, look me up and I'll take you to get some BBQ that could only be dreamed about down under. Plus you will get to see the real Land of Oz.

Ha .... jus messin' with ya .... we luv you aussies. Enjoy your party (parties).

Kansas sounds exciting :)

edited December 1969

I haven't had an outdoor barbeque in a loooong time. A few weeks back we had some grilled kebab chicken, with red peppers lemon and other spices, which was Reaaaally good... But no actual outdoor traditional grilling =/

edited December 1969

It all smells really...interesting and sometimes burned here this afternoon, to go with all the bushfire emergency alerts on the radio and TV this afternoon, all a little disconcerting and daunting.

edited December 1969

Not so happy with the way this turned out 'cos the IDL ended up a little on the grey side so going to do again overnight :)

m201011.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 262K
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Not so happy with the way this turned out 'cos the IDL ended up a little on the grey side so going to do again overnight :)

[stupid network reset, just as I was almost finished typing]

...the Lady and the Tiger. Nice.

Which interior set is that?

One thing I also notice is that her skin is a bit "shiny"

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This is a noncompliant, I'm now talking to my computer instead of typing. This will take a few days for me to get it right, but I will get it right. This will make me a much happier person.

edited December 2012

...@!*&! network reset. Halfway though the post and *wham* lost everything I wrote again.

This is getting really old.

Complaint #2.

More PC Weidness.

Last month when my Annual PC membership was to expire, I noticed on my account page that the end date had changed to 11/10/13. For the last several weeks still received the PC newsletter, still seeing PC prices, still had access to the Members Only forum so "OK" I thought, it must have auto renewed as I do have my card on file.

Now this Friday, I receive an email from Daz that my membership is set to expire at the end of this month. When I went to my account page there was no PC status, and the only newsletter I am subscribed to is the regular store one.

Looked through the order history and nothing about a PC renewal.

Went to my bank's site and sure enough there as no transaction to Daz for 69$ in November.

So I click on renewal link and the price I see is 99$, not 69$ even though I am still "supposedly" a PC member and have my card on file with Daz.

Now in the past I had to pay the full amount to renew once because I let it lapse beyond the "30 day grace period" but the extra 30$ was basically returned in Voucher credit so it wasn't that big of a burn. However, with the site software change in May, vouchers went the way of the carrier pigeon and I guess so does that extra 30$. Not an easy thing to deal with when on a tight budget. Posted about this in the Renewal Thread over on the members Only forum.

(I wish I had a DNI link to my system, would really help to minimise all the typos)

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 2012

Kyoto Kid said:
    ps1borg said:

[stupid network reset, just as I was almost finished typing]

...the Lady and the Tiger. Nice.

Which interior set is that?

One thing I also notice is that her skin is a bit "shiny"

yeah ended up with a shadow throwing a grey cast that killed the contrast range and started to torture the highlights, going to render another version tonight, takes a while. Um, "set" is bits of Jack T's Baroque: Windows, a floor, half a roof, and a scene-size 100% white half dome for the indirect. Don't use radiosity much but that poly-based fur on AM's creatures is an irresistible challenge - if you get it right the rewards are great - so I thought I'd experiment and try to strategise and find a poser workflow that will be a consistent producer like the one I did for the point lights I usually use on AM's furries :)

Was an antidote for this gloomy one:

ADT.jpg
    600 x 400 - 19K
    Post edited by ps1borg on
    edited December 2012

Why in the heck is it that every time something looks easy. It turns out to be a pain in the butt? This dragon thing works fine, but it's going to take a long time to learn this son of a gun. It has so many options and tutorials to learn how to make it work that it just makes me mad!

What you see on TV is not what you get. It really should come with a big manual, but all you get is a built in help file.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2012

Jaderail said:
    This is a noncompliant, I'm now talking to my computer instead of typing. This will take a few days for me to get it right, but I will get it right. This will make me a much happier person.

Heya Jader! You using voice command? (Hands free... or what ever it's called lol) I assume it's rather cold in your location.

Surprisingly, here went from really cold winter straight 'smack bang' to summer hot, then oddly it's borderline cold again... I cant keep up with the weather man! :-P

@Borg - Great renders! :)

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    UV Unwrapping is killing me! It not playing nice at all. How the heck do people uv map pants and have them turn out so beautiful?

I've watched tutorial after tutorial... All of them are using low res models, all of them use the same method... Planar Unwrap and Pelt Unwrap... The best Pants UV is sliced at the seams, on the inner seam that goes through the fly and the outer legs. I try it and it goes to crap. The edges curl, I get overlapping, and distortions. Relaxing it just screws it up.

I've tried doing it front left leg, back left leg, Right front leg, Right back leg... And still it fails. It's such high res that no way in the world could I manually do it.

sometimes it helps to cut vertically in strips, then stitch back together. i use wings3d, it can be tedious

Thanks very much Misty... things really started to click once I read your comment! U a life saver! :)

edited December 2012

Hi Spyro yes, I am now talking to my computer. I no longer have to type I still have to use a mouse, but that's okay. It was the pecking that was getting to my hand. I'm fine with what is going on now. This is really cool.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

How well is it converting your voice to text? Do you have to back space heaps? I've never used that sort of feature before.

And hands free on mobiles aren't perfect either.

----------------------

Question... For any content creators...

How should I approach UV Unwraping of these clips? I'm sort of baffled :-S (Left it till last, and kept telling myself "It's just a box... I just unwrapped pants, pockets and Straps... How hard could it be?"........... Of course now that it's the last thing to UV map, before sending the item to daz, I'm thinking... "damn")

Clips.jpg
    1184 x 561 - 118K
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    How well is it converting your voice to text? Do you have to back space heaps? I've never used that sort of feature before.

And hands free on mobiles aren't perfect either.

----------------------

Question... For any content creators...

How should I approach UV Unwraping of these clips? I'm sort of baffled :-S (Left it till last, and kept telling myself "It's just a box... I just unwrapped pants, pockets and Straps... How hard could it be?"........... Of course now that it's the last thing to UV map, before sending the item to daz, I'm thinking... "damn")

I would start by separating surfaces into different groups, front, back etc. Then slice through the middle edgeways from a long end at the seams where the surfaces join.

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited December 2012

I'd be inclined to "project from view", and leave the "edges" being stretched... given that they're relatively thin, and the front faces of the buckle are what people are going to be looking at/rendering.

On the other hand, if you think people might want to be able to wrap a "rusty" procedural all over them, then you'll probably need to separate out each little bar and piece and unwrap them one at a time.

$0.02c (^_^)

ETA: I think I just said what Ps1 said above... though not as concisely X).

Post edited by M F M on
    edited December 2012

Ok Is this what you guys mean?

I'm a little baffled. I think the whole UV Unwrapping all day long is taking it's toll lol

Perhaps a center line that splits the front from the back?... The internal gaps is what confuzzles me lol

Untitled-1.jpg
    1223 x 779 - 281K
    edited December 2012

Ya know that's about a worst case scenario with holes and topologically contrasting manifolds in the holes, needs to be split into parts, then surfaces, before the unwrap, imo.

Just out of curiosity, I guess this is a belt or strap buckle thingy, why (beautifully bevelled and rounded) geometry and not bump or displacement?

Post edited by ps1borg on
    edited December 2012

ps1borg said:
    Ya know that's about a worst case scenario with holes and topologically contrasting manifolds in the holes, needs to be split into parts, then surfaces, before the unwrap, imo.

Just out of curiosity, I guess this is a belt or strap buckle thingy, why (beautifully bevelled and rounded) geometry and not bump or displacement?

This is what it belongs to. It's actually designed for sub division. (Which Is applied in Daz, before saving it as an article of clothing.) I have tested it with the subdivision in 3ds Max... But it's best not left on while UV Mapping and when exporting to Daz.

I chose to make it a separate geometry so that the Sub D doesn't cause it all to smooth into the pants. Daz will only recognize separate material zones from Max as long as they are separate objects with separate materials applied. I dont know if there is any way around it since Daz don't accept a lot of 3ds max features :( I also leaned Daz hates objects from Max if they have stacked modifiers.

EDIT - Now that I think of it... I could cut off the outer sides of the clip and create it so the clip is made of two geometries... (Last resort I think) And remove the clip area that is hidden by the strap.

Pants_7_clips.png
    1524 x 1849 - 4M
This discussion has been closed.