[Released] Character Converter from Genesis 3 Female to Genesis 8 Female(Now Conv JCMs) [Commercial]

Comments

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,519
    edited August 2019

I submitted an update to Daz that does the following:

• Fixed bug where Custom Scene Character script did not preserve scale for character controller property
    • Fixed bug where Custom Scene Character Dialog did not use a changed tolerance
    • Added overwrite morphs checkbox to Custom Scene Character Dialog
    • Changed the conversion process to just take the primary selection when multiple objects are loaded (instead of aborting conversion)
    • Added note to help explain why no characters are being detected when Add Dir/Files finds no character files

It has to go through their testing process but hopefully you will see it by the end of the week or early next week.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,800

So, I really was surprised to see this one. Ever since the tragic passing of Dimension3D the morph convertor-happy users like myself have been pretty much left on our own. Sure, there have been different techniques provided to us in tutorial threads us both on and off the forums, and even one of us have dedicated their time and effort to try and make a sufficient enough script to fill-in that gap, shout-out to SingularBlues. But this is the first time since the discontinuation of GenX that we're finally getting a solid, in-store PA product addressing this.

Thank you SO much for this, RiverSoftArt! :D

You are very welcome!  I knew from spelunking through the forums that there were user efforts (though I never tried them, way too busy).  After 2 years though, it didn't seem like there were any official products, and Sickleyield convinced me to try and make one.  I had no idea if there would be a market for this.  I was afraid the the "morph converter-happy" users would have already done all they needed to with home-grown techniques. smiley

Oh no, trust me. We warmly welcome ANYTHING that lets us do these things in the least amount of steps possible. :D

laugh  That reminds me why I tell people I am a good programmer.  I am so lazy that I program things to be as simple as possible.  So I work really, really hard to be lazy cheeky

That's the goal! ^-^

• HatBHatB Posts: 77

Do you use the files downloaded by DIM or the Connect Library files?

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,969
    Thanks for the video Riversoft
    HatB said:

I personnally use DIM files.  It should work with connect files.

Thanks for the video Riversoft

You're welcome!  Hopefully it helped.

• HatBHatB Posts: 77
    HatB said:

I have used both. It is easier to find the files using the DIM. I had to look up the  SKU number to find the files in the connect library files and go down to find the actual file. It takes a lot longer that way since program itself would have to go through over 10,000 files and sometimes it doesn't go deep enough.  

• evacynevacyn Posts: 963

Hi RiverSoftArt

I'm having issues converting HinkyPunk's Gluttony (https://www.daz3d.com/7-deadly-sins-lust-avarice-and-gluttony). It seems to convert without any problems, but the end result is the base G3F character with the Gluttony UVs. Here's the log:

10:28:28 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): Executing Script
    10:28:28 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): Selecting Preset: C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 3 Female/Characters/Gluttony.duf
    10:28:28 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): Converting character from C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 3 Female/Characters/Gluttony.duf to C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/Genesis 3/Gluttony.duf
    10:30:02 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time):      Gluttony is of type Actor/Character
    10:42:30 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time):      Copy Icons from C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 3 Female/Characters/Gluttony.duf to C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/Genesis 3/Gluttony Genesis 8.duf
    10:42:30 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time):      Copy Categories from C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 3 Female/Characters/Gluttony.duf to C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/Genesis 3/Gluttony Genesis 8.duf
    10:42:30 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): Execution Complete.

• Okay, I have a question.  It's probably been addressed but I don't remember seeing this, so forgive me for repeating something.  I finally got a chance to transfer Ophelia 7 over.  First time I did it, the texture was all over the place.  So, I remember reading in the instructions that there was a setting that allowed for proper transfer of the UVs but only for those characters made with the base Genesis 3 model, not the custom ones like Ophelia 7.  So I unchecked this option and transferred.  As you can see, it transferred great but not the UV.  One on the left is Ophelia 7 for Genesis 8...lol.

Can the custom UV issue be fixed for the custom Genesis 3 models, am I doing something wrong, or will we have to use something like the Legacy UV utilities to get to to attach correctly?

test.jpg
    937 x 914 - 340K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,337
    edited August 2019
    evacyn said:

Hi RiverSoftArt

I'm having issues converting HinkyPunk's Gluttony (https://www.daz3d.com/7-deadly-sins-lust-avarice-and-gluttony). It seems to convert without any problems, but the end result is the base G3F character with the Gluttony UVs. Here's the log:

10:28:28 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): Selecting Preset: C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 3 Female/Characters/Gluttony.duf
    10:28:28 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time): Converting character from C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 3 Female/Characters/Gluttony.duf to C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/Genesis 3/Gluttony.duf
    10:30:02 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time):      Gluttony is of type Actor/Character
    10:42:30 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time):      Copy Icons from C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 3 Female/Characters/Gluttony.duf to C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/Genesis 3/Gluttony Genesis 8.duf
    10:42:30 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time):      Copy Categories from C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 3 Female/Characters/Gluttony.duf to C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/Genesis 3/Gluttony Genesis 8.duf

I have a similar problem with the another character, so I would also like to know the answer for that.

The end result of the conversion is just plain Genesis Female (not sure if it looks like 3 or 8).

Post edited by Artini on
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,130

Thanks for the tutorial. I have hearing losses and wear hearing aids, so I just want to give you an extra thanks for speaking so perfectly. Many people do not. It was a pleasure to listen and get every word.

HatB said:
    HatB said:

I have used both. It is easier to find the files using the DIM. I had to look up the  SKU number to find the files in the connect library files and go down to find the actual file. It takes a lot longer that way since program itself would have to go through over 10,000 files and sometimes it doesn't go deep enough.  

It doesn't go deep enough?  What do you mean by that?  It stops and doe

evacyn said:

Hi RiverSoftArt

Hmmm. Could you post the Daz log?  The shortened log that is in the script, which you posted, doesn't have enough detail for the problem you are describing.

edited August 2019

Okay, I have a question.  It's probably been addressed but I don't remember seeing this, so forgive me for repeating something.  I finally got a chance to transfer Ophelia 7 over.  First time I did it, the texture was all over the place.  So, I remember reading in the instructions that there was a setting that allowed for proper transfer of the UVs but only for those characters made with the base Genesis 3 model, not the custom ones like Ophelia 7.  So I unchecked this option and transferred.  As you can see, it transferred great but not the UV.  One on the left is Ophelia 7 for Genesis 8...lol.

Can the custom UV issue be fixed for the custom Genesis 3 models, am I doing something wrong, or will we have to use something like the Legacy UV utilities to get to to attach correctly?

I think you are misremembering or I wrote the manual poorly.  CC only copies the materials.  If the G3F character has materials that don't use the Base UV Set, you are going to see seam problems.  In that case, you need to use something like https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-character-uvs-for-genesis-8-female

inquire said:

Thanks for the tutorial. I have hearing losses and wear hearing aids, so I just want to give you an extra thanks for speaking so perfectly. Many people do not. It was a pleasure to listen and get every word.

You're welcome!  I am glad it helped.

Sure thing - do you just want the log part pertaining to the conversion?

evacyn said:

Yes, please. From the Converting character from C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 3 Female/Characters/Gluttony.duf to C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/Genesis 3/Gluttony.duf

• I think you are misremembering or I worte the manual poorly.  CC only copies the materials.  If the G3F character has materials that don't use the Base UV Set, you are going to see seam problems.  In that case, you need to use something like https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-character-uvs-for-genesis-8-female

I probably was misremembering cause I did this before I went to work this morning, but you got the gist of it.  And that's exactly what I thought.  But the converter worked great...I can mix Ophelia with Sydney to get the character I really want now, so again, thank you.

I think you are misremembering or I wrote the manual poorly.  CC only copies the materials.  If the G3F character has materials that don't use the Base UV Set, you are going to see seam problems.  In that case, you need to use something like https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-character-uvs-for-genesis-8-female

I probably was misremembering cause I did this before I went to work this morning, but you got the gist of it.  And that's exactly what I thought.  But the converter worked great...I can mix Ophelia with Sydney to get the character I really want now, so again, thank you.

You're welcome

evacyn said:

Yes, please. From the Converting character from C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 3 Female/Characters/Gluttony.duf to C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/Genesis 3/Gluttony.duf

Okay - I just PM'd you the log.

evacyn said:
    evacyn said:

The log was helpful.  I believe the problem is that the name of the product is "7 Deadly Sins: Lust, Avarice and Gluttony".  Unfortunately, the colon in the name is a big no-no and leads to problems when adding the product name to the path.  The script tries to figure out where the controller property dsf is saved and looks for "C:/My DAZ 3D Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/Hinky Punk,Lyoness/7 Deadly Sins: Lust, Avarice and Gluttony/CTRL-RSC-Gluttony.dsf".  The script wants to open this file in order to fix this very issue of where the character won't be dialed in.  I am sure Daz Studio names the path something else.  What exactly?  I need to update the script to handle product names with illegal characters (/\?*" etc).

evacyn said:
    evacyn said:

The log was helpful.  I believe the problem is that the name of the product is "7 Deadly Sins: Lust, Avarice and Gluttony".  Unfortunately, the colon in the name is a big no-no and leads to problems when adding the product name to the path.  The script tries to figure out where the controller property dsf is saved and looks for "C:/My DAZ 3D Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/Hinky Punk,Lyoness/7 Deadly Sins: Lust, Avarice and Gluttony/CTRL-RSC-Gluttony.dsf".  The script wants to open this file in order to fix this very issue of where the character won't be dialed in.  I am sure Daz Studio names the path something else.  What exactly?  I need to update the script to handle product names with illegal characters (/\?*" etc).

Thanks for troubleshooting that so quickly :)

edited August 2019
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:

What is the name of the product directory?  Did Daz just delete the colon?

(BTW: you can still use the character.  You just need to dial in the character after loading the character preset.  In this case, "Gluttony")

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,974
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:

(BTW: you can still use the character.  You just need to dial in the character after loading the character preset.  In this case, "Gluttony")

You can look at the list of files in the readme for any character, and see the file path. There is no need to wait for a customer response to get the data. In this case, the file list link is http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/40941/file_list.

barbult said:
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:

You can look at the list of files in the readme for any character, and see the file path. There is no need to wait for a customer response to get the data. In this case, the file list link is http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/40941/file_list.

That is for the input files.  I am wondering what DS did for the output path when the script told DS to save with a colon in the path.  I don't think it has to be the same.

barbult said:
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:

That is for the input files.  I am wondering what DS did for the output path when the script told DS to save with a colon in the path.  I don't think it has to be the same.

Where would I find the output path? Is it not in the log?

evacyn said:
    barbult said:
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:

Unfortunately not.  That is why I have the script try and figure it out because DS doesn't tell me when it is saving morphs.  It is in your My Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/  If not "My Library", it is the first directory listed for Daz formats in the content manager.

evacyn said:
    barbult said:
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:

Unfortunately not.  That is why I have the script try and figure it out because DS doesn't tell me when it is saving morphs.  It is in your My Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/  If not "My Library", it is the first directory listed for Daz formats in the content manager.

It looks like it didn't save anything. There's nothing under Genesis 8 - just the original morphs under Genesis 3.

evacyn said:
    evacyn said:
    barbult said:
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:

It looks like it didn't save anything. There's nothing under Genesis 8 - just the original morphs under Genesis 3.

Interesting!  Thank you.  Definitely a bug on my part.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,974
    barbult said:
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:

Ok, I guess I misunderstood your question.
  • ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587
    edited August 2019

The extra UV step is not a deal breaker...so, I have SUCCESS!!!!  I'm so glad you and Zev0 are thinking about the user community like this.  This is great!

Ophelia 7.jpg
    937 x 914 - 353K
    Post edited by ScarletX1969 on