[Released] Character Converter from Genesis 3 Female to Genesis 8 Female(Now Conv JCMs) [Commercial]

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,337
    edited August 2019
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:

Sure thing - do you just want the log part pertaining to the conversion?

Yes, please. From the Converting character from C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 3 Female/Characters/Gluttony.duf to C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/Genesis 3/Gluttony.duf

Okay - I just PM'd you the log.

The log was helpful.  I believe the problem is that the name of the product is "7 Deadly Sins: Lust, Avarice and Gluttony".  Unfortunately, the colon in the name is a big no-no and leads to problems when adding the product name to the path.  The script tries to figure out where the controller property dsf is saved and looks for "C:/My DAZ 3D Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/Hinky Punk,Lyoness/7 Deadly Sins: Lust, Avarice and Gluttony/CTRL-RSC-Gluttony.dsf".  The script wants to open this file in order to fix this very issue of where the character won't be dialed in.  I am sure Daz Studio names the path something else.  What exactly?  I need to update the script to handle product names with illegal characters (/\?*" etc).

Thanks for troubleshooting that so quickly :)

"C:/My DAZ 3D Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/Hinky Punk,Lyoness/7 Deadly Sins: Lust, Avarice and Gluttony/CTRL-RSC-Gluttony.dsf"

Really!!! What a poor choice of the file names. It looks like some vendors don't care about choosing safe file naming at all. What a shame.

I feel really sorry for RiverSoftArt to deal with it.

The file should be named like this:

"C:/My DAZ 3D Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/HinkyPunk_Lyoness/7DeadlySins_LustAvariceAndGluttony/CTRL_RSC_Gluttony.dsf"

Post edited by Artini on
  • RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,519

The extra UV step is not a deal breaker...so, I have SUCCESS!!!!  I'm so glad you and Zev0 are thinking about the user community like this.  This is great!

Fantastic!  I am glad you are happy! smiley

Artini said:
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:
    evacyn said:

Sure thing - do you just want the log part pertaining to the conversion?

Yes, please. From the Converting character from C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 3 Female/Characters/Gluttony.duf to C:/My DAZ 3D Library/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/Genesis 3/Gluttony.duf

Okay - I just PM'd you the log.

The log was helpful.  I believe the problem is that the name of the product is "7 Deadly Sins: Lust, Avarice and Gluttony".  Unfortunately, the colon in the name is a big no-no and leads to problems when adding the product name to the path.  The script tries to figure out where the controller property dsf is saved and looks for "C:/My DAZ 3D Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/Hinky Punk,Lyoness/7 Deadly Sins: Lust, Avarice and Gluttony/CTRL-RSC-Gluttony.dsf".  The script wants to open this file in order to fix this very issue of where the character won't be dialed in.  I am sure Daz Studio names the path something else.  What exactly?  I need to update the script to handle product names with illegal characters (/\?*" etc).

Thanks for troubleshooting that so quickly :)

"C:/My DAZ 3D Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/Hinky Punk,Lyoness/7 Deadly Sins: Lust, Avarice and Gluttony/CTRL-RSC-Gluttony.dsf"

Really!!! What a poor choice of the file names. It looks like some vendors don't care about choosing safe file naming at all. What a shame.

I feel really sorry for RiverSoftArt to deal with it.

The file should be named like this:

"C:/My DAZ 3D Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/HinkyPunk_Lyoness/7DeadlySins_LustAvariceAndGluttony/CTRL_RSC_Gluttony.dsf"

That is not the vendor's fault.  It is mine.  I believe I can fix it but I need to test it.  @Artini, I don't have the 7 Deadly Sins.  You mentioned you were having the same problem.  On which character?

• This is Shiloh for Genesis 3 Female, that is part of the Lilith 7 Pro Bundle with the Morrigan Dress also from that Bundle, converted to Genesis 8 Female.  Added MAT afterwards with no conversion.

edited August 2019

It was Taffy - https://www.daz3d.com/trolliez--taffy

My conversion to G8F does not look like her at all.

Here is her promo image:

Taffy01pic01.jpg
    600 x 1024 - 64K
    Post edited by Artini on

I attach a list of files, because I cannot find her in Daz Product Index.

txt
    txt
    Taffy.txt
  • Artini said:

I attach a list of files, because I cannot find her in Daz Product Index.

Since it's for Girl 7, i wonder would you have success if you used the scene character converter option.  That's what I had to do to get Shiloh to convert over.

I am waiting for the update to the script, that RiverSoftArt announced and then I will try again.

• Artini said:

I am waiting for the update to the script, that RiverSoftArt announced and then I will try again.

Hey Artini, I hope you don't mind, but I tried to migrate Taffy over as well using the scene character converter script and this is what I got.  Is this close to what you were looking for?  This is the G8 conversion.

This is Shiloh for Genesis 3 Female, that is part of the Lilith 7 Pro Bundle with the Morrigan Dress also from that Bundle, converted to Genesis 8 Female.  Added MAT afterwards with no conversion.

Looks good @ScarletX1969!  Thank you for sharing (and for sharing Taffy... that looks much better than what @Artini got from the main script.  Did you have the same result as @Artini using the main script on Taffy?)

Artini said:

Here is her promo image:

Huh.  That does not have the same problem as the 7 deadly sins.  Can you post the log from when you converted her?

Artini said:

The update is live in the store as of this evening!

• ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587
    edited August 2019

Looks good @ScarletX1969!  Thank you for sharing (and for sharing Taffy... that looks much better than what @Artini got from the main script.  Did you have the same result as @Artini using the main script on Taffy?)

So you have two scripts, the main script and the scene character converter script.  I discovered when I was doing Shiloh that for some reason, it did not recognize the .duf (whatever the source file is for migration.  I may have the extension wrong...lol) file for the character.  It would tell me that no character files found or something like that.  So I followed your instructions for the scene character converter script.  I loaded the base character (like Lilith 7), added the head and body for the character it supported (Shiloh), then loaded the Genesis 8 Female base.  Launched the scene character converter script, it literally took the morphs from Lilith 7 and moved them to Genesis 8.  Then, I just added the Shiloh Skin MAT with no conversion and it worked.

I did the same thing for Taffy as well.

I have a feeling that's not the main way to migrate a character cause it did Ophelia 7 just fine.  This was my first time trying a character based on one of the custom G3F models and that's how it worked for me.

Post edited by ScarletX1969 on

So you have two scripts, the main script and the scene character converter script.  I discovered when I was doing Shiloh that for some reason, it did not recognize the .duf (whatever the source file is for migration.  I may have the extension wrong...lol) file for the character.  It would tell me that no character files found or something like that.  So I followed your instructions for the scene character converter script.  I loaded the base character (like Lilith 7), added the head and body for the character it supported (Shiloh), then loaded the Genesis 8 Female base.  Launched the scene character converter script, it literally took the morphs from Lilith 7 and moved them to Genesis 8.  Then, I just added the Shiloh Skin MAT with no conversion and it worked.

I did the same thing for Taffy as well.

I have a feeling that's not the main way to migrate a character cause it did Ophelia 7 just fine.  This was my first time trying a character based on one of the custom G3F models and that's how it worked for me.

Thanks.

With the main script, when you get an error like that.  Check the log on the log page.  You will probably see a message like "Skipping 'Actor'..."  The script looks for "Actor/Character" as the metadata.  You can get around this by turning off "Check Content Type" in options and then use Add Files to add the character.duf.

edited August 2019
    Artini said:

Hey Artini, I hope you don't mind, but I tried to migrate Taffy over as well using the scene character converter script and this is what I got.  Is this close to what you were looking for?  This is the G8 conversion.

Looks good. Thanks for trying conversion of her, I will test the conversion again.

Post edited by Artini on
  • f7eerf7eer Posts: 123

I want to thank you for making this product which has released all my G3F figures from purgatory! I never expected the conversion to be perfect, but it is far better than I expected. I had made a decision when G8 came out to stop buying G3, but now I feel I can buy G3 with impunity, and bring it all into G8. I am interested in seeing a conversion from G2F to G8F, but I expect more problems, because the skeletons are different, so there will be no escaping the fact that the bodies will look different. Also, I am less motivated to convert G2F, because the textures are either pre-Iray or at best, "primitive" Iray.

f7eer said:

I want to thank you for making this product which has released all my G3F figures from purgatory! I never expected the conversion to be perfect, but it is far better than I expected. I had made a decision when G8 came out to stop buying G3, but now I feel I can buy G3 with impunity, and bring it all into G8. I am interested in seeing a conversion from G2F to G8F, but I expect more problems, because the skeletons are different, so there will be no escaping the fact that the bodies will look different. Also, I am less motivated to convert G2F, because the textures are either pre-Iray or at best, "primitive" Iray.

You're welcome!  I will keep the G2 info in mind

Artini said:

Here is her promo image:

Huh.  That does not have the same problem as the 7 deadly sins.  Can you post the log from when you converted her?

I have found the log and PMed it to you. All the best.

edited August 2019
    Artini said:
    Artini said:

Here is her promo image:

Thanks @Artini!  Looking at the log, the same thing that tripped up 7 deadly sins tripped the script up.  The product name is "Trolliez: Taffy".  The script looked for 

/PubDocs/My DAZ 3D Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/3-DArena/Trolliez: Taffy/CTRL-RSC-Taffy.duf.dsf 8

which is obviously wrong.  The character IS correctly converted.  After you load the character preset, find the Taffy controller property and dial it up.

In my internal version, I am stripping the special characters like colons and replacing them with a space for vendor, product, and character names. This should correct this issue.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
    Artini said:
    Artini said:

Here is her promo image:

Thanks @Artini!  Looking at the log, the same thing that tripped up 7 deadly sins tripped the script up.  The product name is "Trolliez: Taffy".  The script looked for 

/PubDocs/My DAZ 3D Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/3-DArena/Trolliez: Taffy/CTRL-RSC-Taffy.duf.dsf 8

which is obviously wrong.  The character IS correctly converted.  After you load the character preset, find the Taffy controller property and dial it up.

In my internal version, I am stripping the special characters like colons and replacing them with a space for vendor, product, and character names. This should correct this issue.

Sorry, I do not know, how to dial up Taffy controller. I have searched for Taffy and controller, but it does not show up.

Could you explain more.

Artini said:
    Artini said:
    Artini said:

Here is her promo image:

Sorry, I do not know, how to dial up Taffy controller. I have searched for Taffy and controller, but it does not show up.

Could you explain more.

Argh!  That's right.  The product name trips up Daz too sad  Sorry, my mistake.  For now, you need to use the Custom Scene Character Conversion.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

What files should I remove to get rid off that bad conversion?

Artini said:

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

What files should I remove to get rid off that bad conversion?

I think the Character Preset is the only thing that got correctly written.  Otherwise, the morphs would be under /PubDocs/My DAZ 3D Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/3-DArena/ but the product name tripped it up.

Ok, thanks for that.

Artini said:

Ok, thanks for that.

No problem.  The next update will have this fix.  I am waiting to roll up more fixes.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    edited August 2019

I'm still encountering issues with wonky eyes in trying to convert characters. I gave up trying to convert my dial-spun character and tried a straight up Ophelia 7 with no other morphs and the same issue crops up. The irises are no longer round. They look like they've been attacked by Salvador Dali, if that makes sense at all. I tried lowering the tolerance and still have the same issue. Everything else converts perfectly. But I can't abide by a character with cracked egg yolk-shaped irises. Changing the texture to a G8-based eye texture doesn't help with the shape of the iris. 

Attached shows (1) Ophelia 7 and (2) Ophelia 7 converted to G8

Ophelia 7.JPG
    679 x 564 - 39K
    Ophelia 7 for G8.JPG
    617 x 504 - 33K
    Post edited by MelissaGT on
    edited August 2019

*double post*

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975
    edited August 2019

That to me looks like an issueof texture try applying G8's eye textureoops my bad you already did that ....well fudge.....

Post edited by carrie58 on
    edited August 2019
    carrie58 said:

That to me looks like an issueof texture try applying G8's eye textureoops my bad you already did that ....well fudge.....

Yeah, I noticed someone else a couple pages back converted Ophelia 7 and I saw the same thing with the eyes, and come to think of it, it also shows the same wonky pupil shape in the script's .pdf guide...so I'm beginning to think it's a limitation that I either have to accept or just stay with these characters on G3. 

I think converted Ophelia 7 looks nice, but of course it all depends on the point of view and personal taste.