Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 8

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,105
    edited December 1969

Has anyone tried a Multi-replicate on a Torus?

Edit/Multi-Replicate.............Alt+Shift+D

Looks interesting but I'm not sure what for although the one on the left looks like a rolled up Pillbug :)

replicate-torus-001.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 443K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Haha Tim, did we both pick up the same new model from Archive 3D?

I downloaded the coke bottle and have been working on it today between my 'real' work.
    Though I went for the 1957 glass moulded bottle, which I achieved by taking the trans map picture into Photoshop and blurring it, then loading it into the bump map channel of the label component. I've also gone for a slightly lighter Coke colour than you, but I'm not happy with this just yet as I don't think it looks transparent enough.

Also earlier in the year, I tried a Coke can with water beads, for which I made a 'shell for the can and made a clear bumpy material with strong specular. If I can find that one, I'll re-post it later.

I must say, yours looks great as it is.

EmptyBottle2.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 322K
    edited December 1969

Well finding that was easier than I thought it was going to be. :-)

CokeCan.jpg
    422 x 650 - 64K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Tim Bateman: Thank you. Moisture on bottle and can do look as though they've been out for awhile, getting warm. Liquid in bottle looks as though it's been shaken, making opening the bottle a surprise for someone. Both look really good.

@Horo: Thank you. Love that image. How did you achieve the elevated look? Mine always turn out flat.

@keryna: I like the look of the four rhinos image. Nice work.

@Jay: Yeah, I know what you mean. Not dealing with that area there's likely more words I know nothing about.

@David: Home made HDRI looks really nice. It creates a nice affect with the spheres in that image.

@Dave: 1957 bottle is nice. It needs the 1957 glass to go with it.

@Sandy: Ice experiments look good. Tweaking the first image might result in nice looking ice. Love the last image, it definitely has a sci-fi look. Object on the right has a flying craft look.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

@ Dave - thank you, i never thought about making a shell for the can! ...an idea i will have to keep in mind :) ....i got the effect in a slightly similar way, i used a water beed photo, one of my own of course, and used it's alpha in the bump channel+ spec channel to give it that slight highlight from the light in the scene, i could go on for hours explaining all the details of my scene / scene's, ...but i will stop there!

@ Guss - thank you :)

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

@Sandy: Ice experiments look good. Tweaking the first image might result in nice looking ice. Love the last image, it definitely has a sci-fi look. Object on the right has a flying craft look.

I spent roughly three days just to get that :-) No matter what I did with the textures, three different ones on three terrains, it just wouldn't darken down and just stayed in your face white. Reducing the ambience, changing the colours, reducing the specularity, reflection, refraction or transparency didn't work. I gave up in the end :-)

Two different textures on the Torus's. The one in the middle is transparent with a textured Sphere at the centre.

replicate-torus-002.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 510K
    edited November 2014

Anybody want to try that ice texture to get it better I have put the two scene files up on my website. You can down load them here.

http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/temp/bryce/ice-wall-1.br7 This was the first try

http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/temp/bryce/ice-wall-2.br7 This was after a lot of messing about :-)

The image below is from the first scene.

ice-wall-002.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 400K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
    edited December 1969

@ Fishtales - i have your scene and will post something very shortly :)

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Nice work by everyone.

Interesting ice experiments Sandy. I find the current challenge very challenging, working with ice and fire. Thanks for sharing your files. I reached a dead end on my third entry. Well there is still a month to go.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited November 2014

That last one, Fishtales, is believably icy...nicely done (or, should that be..icely done ;) ).

Latest, below - 'the force is strong with this one' (must be said in a Yoda voice :lol: )

Title: Jedi Girl

Jay

JediGirl.jpg
    1200 x 668 - 512K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

@ fishtales - is this sort of what you had in mind ?

ice-wall-1.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 270K
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Well finding that was easier than I thought it was going to be. :-)

Wow, Dave, this and the Coke bottle renders are fabulous, and so realistic. I can almost feel the water drops on my hand as I imagine picking up the Coke can. Nicely done sir! :coolsmile:
    edited December 1969

@Sandy: I know what you mean, try everything you can think of and yet nothing helps to produce what you're after. I think that's why the Delete key was invented. :lol: Your latest image is super, another sci-fi looking image.

@Tim Bateman: Nice results from Sandy's file.

@Jay: Jedi girl is nice. That light saber would make one heck of a letter opener. :cheese:

edited December 1969

Thanks Miss B :-)

Fishtales: I downloaded your ice wall scene file and had a go but drew a blank... Maybe I'll find some time to come back to it later.

I've been playing with this model of a marker pen, I made a label for it:

Bluntie2.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 169K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Experiments and tests. First image using HDRI from here http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-small-world-hdri which is an experimental HDRI made by Horo using DOF to suit macro scenes. So far as I know, this is a novel idea and I've not seen anything like this approach with HDRI before.

If you want to make the model yourself and you have Wings 3D - or fancy giving it a go Wings 3D - bit like a tennis ball but not - by David Brinnen

Second and third images also feature HDRI by Horo, but these are synthetically produced and a bit more experimental.

P65_IBLg_RdGn_SC250_800_test1.jpg
    654 x 850 - 202K
    P65_IBLg_LA_1024_test1.jpg
    654 x 850 - 262K
    Example_test1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 535K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,539
    edited November 2014

@David - the star-background on p56 looks great, also the balls in the grass and with the new HDRI.

@Sandy - ice is not the easiest to do, interesting results. Multi-replicated tori look nice.

@Dave - coke bottle looks like a photograph, the can and marker pens as well.

@Jamie - it's a bit cheated. I took an HDRI as terrain and gave it the "greebles" material.

@Jay - light sword looks quite convincing, thought I judge from pictures, never owned one myself. :red:

I had to test my newest HDRI I made by over-driving the IBL lab with another HDRI made from median-cut point light sources. The knotted strips I made after David's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdD0KanwWW8, lit by the new HDRI, which also makes the backdrop. Rendered with 100% soft IBL shadows, premium 16 rpp in 40 minutes. For the 3D fans, an anaglyph version was made using the ALS, regular render in 8 minutes.

KnottedStrips-ana.jpg
    800 x 800 - 113K
    KnottedStrips.jpg
    800 x 800 - 109K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited November 2014

Cheers, Guss...heh he...I see the 'force' is weak with you ;)

That 3D one, Horo, I thought it was going to drop off the screen ;) We should have a 3D day...some day, on the Forum in which all renders submitted for that day MUST be done in 3D anaglyphs.

Some, of course, may have problems, but it might be a learning curve. One could use Horos/David's 3D software, or this free anaglyph maker. All a Brycer has to do is take one render scene, move the camera a little to the left or right, and take another render scene (a little playing around with the movement of camera might be needed). After that, put the first render into the leftmost box in the Anaglyph Maker above, put the second render into the rightmost box, and click Make 3D Image (it also allows tweaking around of the final 3D image afterwards).

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Cheers, Guss...heh he...I see the 'force' is weak with you ;)

That 3D one, Horo, I thought it was going to drop off the screen ;) We should have a 3D day...some day, on the Forum in which all renders submitted for that day MUST be done in 3D anaglyphs.

Some, of course, may have problems, but it might be a learning curve. One could use Horos/David's 3D software, or this free anaglyph maker. All a Brycer has to do is take one render scene, move the camera a little to the left or right, and take another render scene (a little playing around with the movement of camera might be needed). After that, put the first render into the leftmost box in the Anaglyph Maker above, put the second render into the rightmost box, and click Make 3D Image (it also allows tweaking around of the final 3D image afterwards).

Jay

Interesting idea, an Anaglyph awareness day... Of course not everyone can view such images, for various reasons. But still, it would be fun.

@Horo, great renders, got my glasses on that one straight away. Though both are good in themselves. Have been HDRI experimenting most of the afternoon, I will FTP you some examples in a short while.

@Sandy, oh I decided to have a crack at the snow and ice scene, here is the results of my tinkering.

ice-wall-2m1.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 451K
    edited December 1969

@ David & Horo - the new HDRI and scene's look great, awesome work :)

edited December 1969

I'm having login problems and have been trying to answer all your posts so sorry for the delay ☺

re the ice images. What started me off was the picture that was posted by someone looking for a texture to emulate the ice in it. David's is the closest so far. I tried terrains, meshes and trees but nothing quite worked. I am away from the computer for the next few weeks but when I get back I had a thought about using clouds so I will try that unless somebody else would like to

edited December 1969

@Dave: Pens look really nice, label very crisp.

@Horo: Your results from David's tutorial are especially nice. Like your choice of material for the first image. Anaglyph really does look like it extends from the screen.

@David: Nice HDRI experiments.

edited November 2014

Dave: Love the pens, really cool

Horo: Glad I have my 3D glass, the Anaglyph really pops out of the screen

David: Nice experiments with Hdri

Jay: thanks for the link for the "free" Anaglyph maker. I think I saw something about it on Horo's site a long time ago.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

@Jay - thank you. Yes, I often forget how easy an anaglyph can be rendered. Particularly those shapes from David's Wings3D videos can be shown so much clearer in true 3D. Anaglyphs are quite simple to create, I never used an anaglyph-maker. In a graphics program, you have the option to move one photograph against the other and by chosing where they overlap (there is some freedom) you set what part appears on the display surface. Everybody can make anaglyphs from two Bryce renders by moving the camera sideways a bit (adding a wee bit of toe-in enhances the experience) without any fancy program. The advantage of our lenses is that only one render is needed. But it is also a fact that some cannot perceive the three-dee-ishness.

@David - thank you. Ice looks quite good.

@Jamie - thank you.

edited December 1969

I had a bit of fun after reading Jay's post on Anaglyphs and downloaded the AnaMaker, check Horo's site http://www.horo.ch/raytracing/sys/index_en.html#DocTop and here's the result. The first is the Gray option in the maker and the 2nd color option

Thanks Jay and Horo, it's fun to try new things :-)

ana-color.jpg
    600 x 600 - 54K
    ana-gray.jpg
    600 x 600 - 53K
    edited December 1969

They're great, Mermaid - both work excellently. I know some don't have the 3D red/blue glasses (they're very cheap anyway - I got mine free in a mag., once). But it's still possible for those who don't have them to do the 3D-viewing thingy with Bryce using their two separate renders - see Stereo technique. This latter technique can be tricky on the eyes, but it works just as well.

Jay

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

Just a "short" render to throw in (short does not refer to render time of about 10 hours).

backview.jpg
    800 x 800 - 44K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Those are nice anaglyphs. I think the one with the lighter background helps that anaglyph stand out better.

@electro: Nice image.

edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - good job, came out great.

@electro-elvis - that's a great render. Good idea to keep most of the ladies skin in the shadow. It looks quite natural this way.

For those with a bit of patience, I have the anaglyph from above animated (240 frames, looped). It is 50 MB so it may take a few seconds until it loads, depending on your Internet connection. Knotted Strip Anaglyph Animation (50 MB).

edited December 1969

I enjoyed working on this model, so i thought i would go back and have a little bit more of a tinker with it :)

Photo_Real_test_2.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 71K
    edited December 1969

@Tim - looking very good.

I've been playing a bit with our newest product, the Small World HDRI. The flowers are from Lisa's Botanicals, the backdrop and light from the set.

FlowerPatch.jpg
    720 x 900 - 181K
This discussion has been closed.