Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 8

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Ikyoto said:
    As is the nature of experiments, many are performed... Here, given the last set didn't look really radically different from the previous one, here's another selection using some variants.

The last image shows the subset of HDRI that Horo has adjusted for me so I can experiment. What so far I have yet to gain any feel for is how a HDRI will "perform" based on how it looks in preview. Probably because no preview can adequately express the values contained in the HDRI - by its very nature. Hence the need for experimentation.

GIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIE
    GIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIE
    GIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIE
    (remember to breath)
    GIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIE
    GIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIE
    GIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIE

Boy, I'll bet people missed that!

Er... this really isn't ready yet, Horo and I are providing a Xmas gift, it is in the pipeline, I don't know exactly when it will appear but it does include a specially adapted HDRI made by Horo - along with all the instructions and examples necessary to make the most of it. In the mean time, testing continues.

Electro Elvis, encouraging to see you talking this very difficult topic of rendering figures and skin. I don't know what the answer is myself, but looking at what you are doing is making me want to try some experiments myself - though I find this topic particularly difficult to pick apart because as humans we are very well adapted to quickly identify subtleties about figures and the snap judgements that pop into our heads can easily get in the way of more objective criticism and figuring out what needs fixing next.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 2014

David: Skin is difficult anyway. Recently when I watch a movie, I realize that I begin to think about the skin of the actor or actrice on the screen. Weird.

Here my last attempt. Mr. Phillips, private eye, investigating anything. I used Ageing and Head Morphes for Genesis 2 for his face.

MrPhillipsPrivateEye.jpg
    700 x 700 - 38K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • IkyotoIkyoto Posts: 1,159
    edited December 1969

Ikyoto said:
    As is the nature of experiments, many are performed... Here, given the last set didn't look really radically different from the previous one, here's another selection using some variants.

The last image shows the subset of HDRI that Horo has adjusted for me so I can experiment. What so far I have yet to gain any feel for is how a HDRI will "perform" based on how it looks in preview. Probably because no preview can adequately express the values contained in the HDRI - by its very nature. Hence the need for experimentation.

GIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIE
    GIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIE
    GIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIE
    (remember to breath)
    GIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIE
    GIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIE
    GIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIE

Boy, I'll bet people missed that!

Er... this really isn't ready yet, Horo and I are providing a Xmas gift, it is in the pipeline, I don't know exactly when it will appear but it does include a specially adapted HDRI made by Horo - along with all the instructions and examples necessary to make the most of it. In the mean time, testing continues.

Electro Elvis, encouraging to see you talking this very difficult topic of rendering figures and skin. I don't know what the answer is myself, but looking at what you are doing is making me want to try some experiments myself - though I find this topic particularly difficult to pick apart because as humans we are very well adapted to quickly identify subtleties about figures and the snap judgements that pop into our heads can easily get in the way of more objective criticism and figuring out what needs fixing next.
    WHO SAID YOU COULD STOP WORKING???

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 500
    edited December 1969

David/Horo - great looking HDRIs. Especially like the strip lights. Look forward to seeing them in the store!

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,539
    edited December 2014

@David - you've been doing cool things with the HDRIs.

@Jay - lady looks nice, the cat doesn't look furry - Bryce issue.

@eermusic - welcome to this forum. Nice selection of renders. I like the last one best.

@Tim - looks great. Is this going to be your Christmas card?

@electro-elvis - you start to get the hang of lady renders. The dick (as the Americans call private eyes) looks good. Skin on head is excellent.

@Dan - thank you. We're working on getting them ready.

I laboured for nearly a day to get the Gossamer HDRI ready from Apophysis renders and wanted to use it on a render. The object is "Nabla" from Structure Synth with a tiny change of the script. The stars in the backdrop are from our Space Construction Kit.

BeyondReach.jpg
    1200 x 973 - 235K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 2014

Elvis...besides this 'dude' looking incredibly dubious (must be the shirt ;) ), the skin looks quite good on him.

Horo...WOW...I think I can see my futuristic apartment from here in this work.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

@ Horo - thank you, and yes, a Christmas card was what i had in mind :)

• eermusiceermusic Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

This render started out to be about a disturbing place called "Mutant Lands" but evolved into the idea of when any of us need inner "healing" . . . and when finally whatever or who ever comes close enough to heal us they may face rage, fear, and confusion. So this render became "The Slow Agony of Healing" . . . Bryce 7 Pro and DAZ Studio 4.7 were used/abused.

TheSlowAgonyOfHealing.jpg
    1274 x 478 - 619K
    edited December 2014

@ electro-elvis

Post edited by eermusic on
    edited December 1969

Thank all for your comment to my skin models.

Now another idea came in my mind. I thought i could anything but simulate the top mesh light of DAZ' Reality product. As you probably know, it is a special light source that gives a pleasant soft light with soft shadows. I thought a square dome light might be something similar, if you do not put it around your objects, but put it above your objects, like reality's top mesh light. Here my result. I am afraid, it is quite render time consuming. 6 hours with a rather low TA rate of 36.

Superb render! So realistic!!! . . . but what is a “low TA rate of 36” mean? Was this all done in DAZ? Any special add-ons to the basic FREE DAZ? Thanks.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Nice image.

@David: Results from tinkering are really nice. Love the abstracts.

@Jay: Good looking image. Hope she doesn't shut the cat's tail in the door. :lol:

@eemusic: Welcome to the forum. Images are nice looking.

@Tim Bateman: Nice looking image.

@electro: Skin tone on both figures looks good.

@Horo: Latest image is very intriguing.

edited December 1969

@Jay - thank you. I hope the neighbourhood will be friendly :coolsmile:

@eermusic - very philosophical picture.

@Jamie - thank you.

edited December 2014

Just an update on the Rosetta comet model (in obj format) posted about some time back - just released by modeller, Mattias Malmer. Btw, while the zip file is small, the model is quite big - coming in at ~ 40 Mb. As it looked a bit pixelated, I tried a smoothing pass on it - clicking E...etc.,, but it stopped on the second pass at 4% (threw it into Meshlab, smoothed it, worked fine afterwards).

Jay
    PS. As I'm on the astronomical theme...phew...have a look at this latest animation in today's APOD (look at it twice, as the first view you'll miss loads of small details). Oh, and turn up the vol, go full screen, and listen to the wonderful words, and dulcid tones, of Carl Sagan RIP.

CP-7Rosetta.jpg
    900 x 622 - 249K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that, Jay. Got the model and watched the video - worthwhile indeed. I'll see what I'll do with the mesh.

edited December 1969

The render of the statue (Stanford Happy Buddha) in front of the Gossamer HDRI finished. There were issues with the reduced mesh: full of "coal-flies" (black fire-flies), pitch black pixels. So I had to use the highest resolution one with the corresponding long render time.

statue.jpg
    534 x 800 - 104K
    edited December 1969

@Jay: Thanks for the model, big rocks are always appreciated. Video was way neat. Loved the what might be possible on other planets.

@Horo: That image turned out nice. Gossamer HDRI is so cool looking.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 2014

@Horo, Jamahoney, eermusic and GussNemo: Thank you for your kind comments.

@eermusic: I am sorry, TA36 was not a very precise information. It means, I have used the Premium Effects, which you can find on the right side menu bar, if your are clicking on the most below tiny triangle and then choose "Render options". And then I choose 36 rays per pixel and marked the "True Ambience" = TA. If you use TA, it is best you mark the both options "TA Scattering Correction" and "Reflection Correction" in the upper right corner as well. For more details about Premium Effects options I am sure, there is an excellent tutorial either of David Brinnen or Horo (Sorry, I can't remember of whom) on the Web.

In my opinion the Premium Effects of Bryce (what as far as I know, is a whole other render engine, bryce gurus please correct me, if am wrong, than the standard Bryce renderer) deliver really nice results for render skin. Unfortunately render time is considerably higher.

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Actually sometimes I find that using Premium with one of the lower Rays per pixel settings can render faster than the normal settings.

edited December 1969

Cheers, Guss, Elvis and Horo...don't know about it, but Sagan's words, let alone his tone, sentments, his knowledge, have always been an influence.

The above, undoubtedly, will apply at personal levels, but, for now, they surely must serve as 'intros' to more wonderous/serious-type-like objects: based around ofiiicial data.

John

edited December 2014

chohole said:
    Actually sometimes I find that using Premium with one of the lower Rays per pixel settings can render faster than the normal settings.

So do I. The time indicated for a standard render excludes anti-aliasing and that can be up to ten times of the render (transparency and IBL). It is well worth the trouble to plop-render one or two critical parts, change to premium and render that part with different rpp settings and compare the render times.
    Post edited by Horo on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo and Guss

Awesome variety of renders from all, very inspiring. Love the Gossamer Hdri render by Horo post #935

Played with abstracts and Apophysis fractals this weekend. The first one uses the EWL from the Lens and Filter pack

apopdual2.png
    600 x 600 - 267K
    apop16.jpg
    600 x 600 - 37K
    apop15.jpg
    600 x 600 - 51K
    abstract1-ewl.jpg
    600 x 600 - 39K
    edited December 1969

wow Mermaid! ...those fractals look unreal! great job :)

edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - thank you. You set me off to have another look at Apophysis which I hadn't started for a long while. Great renders of your efforts. I particularly like the two middle ones.

edited December 1969

this is for no particular reason, i am just testing a few things :)

int_test_1.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 109K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Those are really neat images. The 1st and 2nd looks like freeze frames of something bursting.

@Tim Bateman: Is that image a render or photo? It's sure nice if a render.

edited December 1969

@Tim - this looks fantastic. It's only the noise in the shadow softness that gives away it's a render.

edited December 1969

@ Guss - yep just an ordinary render, but thank you :)

@ Horo - yes the noise was my first thought also, ile have to give it a render at 256 ray's per pixel, this was only done at 64 ray's,...but thank you also :)

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Thanks Tim, Horo and Guss for your comments.

Horo- you don’t have to thank me, I have to thank you for all the cool stuff you have on your site, I’m have a ball going thru your Raytracing section especially the Bryce Panoramas using QuickTime. http://www.horo.ch/raytracing/sys/index_en.html#DocTop A Big Thank You for having such cool stuff available for Brycers

Tim- the room is awesome. Love the lighting.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Great Fractals Mermaid.... I agree with Horo the middle two are best, but they all look great.

Tim: Nice work on the room.... Lighting, materials and overall feel looks very natural.

I've just been half interested in this new truck model I picked up... Originally I was going to try and turn it into the Cola lorry from the TV ads, but I'm not sure I have enough time for such a mammoth lighting task at the moment.
    I think the dust from it's wheels came out looking quite good though.

NewLorry2.jpg
    1666 x 750 - 556K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

And time for one more before I try and get some sleep...

Stacked terrain, some instanced grass and a freebie fence from Archive3D.

GrassTerrain.jpg
    1111 x 500 - 276K
This discussion has been closed.