Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 8

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Dave – nice humbugs

Art –great job on the workshop

Pam – very cosy looking cottage

Stuart – that’s one wreck of a car, nice material

David-awesome renders especially like the abstract. Thanks for the video, will give it a go today.

Jay – great work on Tokamak Racing - really cool

Guss – beautiful abstracts the 2nd is my fav

Horo- nice abstracts.

Tim – cool render – love the engraving on the blade

Inspired by Dave’s Cadillac render which was posted a long time ago, I think sometime last year, I started working on an idea and just completed it. The hardest part was finding a model that came in properly grouped, to which I could applied the materials. The Volkswagen model is from 3D Bar.

I am happy with the results but will welcome suggestions.

showroom.jpg
    600 x 600 - 43K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 2014

Great abstracts, Guss and Horo.
    Guss, I think the colours of your first one are super.
    Horo, I like the pyramid one best for no reason other than personal taste I think.

Great Knife Tim. Did you model it? I tried to model a Bowie knife in Bryce last year... not easy.

Nice car mermaid... You've got a good level of detail showing in the render.
    The only thing that slightly bothers me is the reflection in the glass of the horizon, but I think it's only because it's a straight line making it stand out quite a lot.

Yes finding freebie cars that are relatively easy to mat up in Bryce can be difficult. What I do when I fancy a new car render is to do a Google image search for "3D Model Car" and then trawl through the results until I find one. After a while you get good at spotting the freebie ones and know which are the commercial ones by the website they are hosted on.

My latest non existent confectionery packaging (inspired at least in part by Muddy Bears mentioned previously) was modelled in Wings, label again designed in Adobe Illustrator and mapped on and rendered in Bryce... Luckily I did save the document at some point because eventually after a lot of experimenting with different lighting and different HDRIs, it crashed... Unluckily, this version of the document didn't get saved, so I've a bit of work to re-do to get it back to this... One day I'll learn to save more often.

Chocquorice.jpg
    650 x 650 - 122K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,539
    edited December 1969

@Jay - thank you. I also see a city and cars but moving up they become lit windows. I call it 5D-City. The second one is very busy, perhaps a lab or control room of an alien space ship, a bit squalid looking anyway.

@Tim - knife looks excellent.

@mermaid010 - thank you. Nice show room set in a nice countryside.

@Dave - thank you. Excellent package and rendered as it were a photograph.

edited December 1969

Nice car mermaid... You've got a good level of detail showing in the render.
    The only thing that slightly bothers me is the reflection in the glass of the horizon, but I think it's only because it's a straight line making it stand out quite a lot.

Thanks Dave, This bothered me too but I could not find anyway to correct it. I tried tweaking the material, trying different ones too, moving the sun, using a Hdri, Any ideas how I can correct it?

Nice liquorice I just had some, do you know it's good for a cough?

Horo-Thanks

edited December 1969

Thanks Dave, This bothered me too but I could not find anyway to correct it. I tried tweaking the material, trying different ones too, moving the sun, using a Hdri, Any ideas how I can correct it?
    I'd try deleting the ground plane. You can use a 2D square for the ground plane where you can see it through the window, but there will be no reflection from behind in the glass.

Nice liquorice I just had some, do you know it's good for a cough?

Yes, liquorice extract in hot water is a great cough medicine too.
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

thank you for the nice comments everyone :)

i thought i would share this also, just an experiment render with one of the ground textures i am working on at the moment :)

ground_texture_test.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 422K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you. Love your new abstracts, they are really nice.

@Tim Bateman: Wonderful looking knife. WIP ground texture also looks nice.

@mermaid: Thanks. That's a bang up looking car.

@Dave: Thank you very much. That's a nice bag of liquorice you've created.

edited December 1969

@Tim - ground texture looks quite nice; rocks and plants, too.

@Jamie - thank you.

edited December 2014

I'd try deleting the ground plane. You can use a 2D square for the ground plane where you can see it through the window, but there will be no reflection from behind in the glass.

I did try that earlier even used a 2D disk, I even played with the cast/receive/self shadow options in the mat lab. I think the horizon line may relate to the overall setup and it maybe a simple error with an easy solution which I don't see. ;-) Thanks for the help.:)

Guss- Thanks

Tim – nice experiment with the materials

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,105
    edited December 1969

mermaid010

I wonder if it is the roof that is picking up a light source and casting a shadow?

Try hiding the roof or each light source one at a time and see if it goes away.

edited December 1969

Fishtales said:
    mermaid010

I wonder if it is the roof that is picking up a light source and casting a shadow?

Try hiding the roof or each light source one at a time and see if it goes away.

I don't think it's the roof I tried that already, let me try with the light sources. Thanks for your suggestion :-)

edited December 1969

another work in progress! ...wow i have to many WIP's now lol :)

Boe_1.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 83K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: If the reflection line is the horizon, perhaps tilting everything so the horizon is out of sight might help.

@Tim Bateman: That's a neat image. Nice looking figure. Who doesn't have more than one WIP sitting around?

A couple more abstracts following David's basic setup but with different types of noise.

Multi_Ribbon_2.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Red_Mix_3.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    edited December 1969

@Tim - interesting looking WIP. Be careful, too many WIPs can whip you. :coolsmile:

@Jamie - interesting patterns.

edited December 1969

Regarding the car render, I tried what Sandy suggested about the light sources, but in vain.

Thanks Guss for the suggestion, but I think it’s best to throw in the towel. I worked on it for almost a year, working on it bit by bit, time to move on. :lol: After seeing the interesting results you got using David's tutorial it's time I gave it a try. :-)

Tim- another cool Wip, I have a many of those too..

A space scene using the addictive method described by David. Make an additive background image

addictivespacewithsaturn.jpg
    600 x 600 - 16K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

First one, Guss, reminds me of Kandinsky-like paintings - vibrant colors etc.

Jay

edited December 1969

@ Mermaid - very nice scene :)

speaking of space scene's i am working on one myself, here is what i have so far :)

Exploring_New_Worlds.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 59K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: I understand about throwing in the towel and moving on, I'm experiencing the same feeling towards the Hexagon project I'm working on. But I've come a long ways and put in too many hours to give it the heave hoe now. Besides, I'm trying to learn how to use Hexagon and dumping a project won't help the learning process.

@Jay: Thanks. Had to look up Kandinsky to see who he was and his work. He has some vibrant works.

@Tim Bateman: WIP space scene is really nice. Hope you plan on a bit more work on the planet in orbit, since it looks a bit strange to me.

edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - good use of an additive background.

@Tim - nice space scene.

edited December 1969

Tim- Thanks your space render is very nice for a Wip, looking forward to your completed work.

Guss- Thanks. I’ve always admired your zeal to learn new things and your commitment to complete it. I worked on the car render for so long going back and forth viewing and reviewing David’s and Horo’s tutorials especially on lighting and glass. If I got one element right there was always something else wrong. I’m glad I eventually completed this Wip, and except for the horizontal line, I am happy with the result. :) Looking forward to your completed Hexagon model.:-)

Horo – Thanks

edited December 2014

thanks for the nice comments :)

@ Guss - yes i agree with you about the orbiting planet, i dose look a tad strange! ...it am pretty sure its a clipping issue, but as always i appreciate the feedback :)

Post edited by Tim82 on
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: I know what you mean about bouncing between an image and tutorial, or PDF. I also know the feeling of changing one thing only to find something else changed without my permission or intention. And I know the feeling about something which might not be exactly like I want it but comes real close. I'll be sure to post my model once it's finished.

@Tim Bateman: Even though I think the planet looks a tad strange, it doesn't distract from the overall look of that nice looking image.

edited December 1969

@ Guss - yes i agree with you about the orbiting planet, i dose look a tad strange! ...it am pretty sure its a clipping issue, but as always i appreciate the feedback :)

It looks to me like you've got that old problem of adding bump to a sphere under certain circumstances leading to a confusion within Bryce, the result meaning that the transition between the lit part and the unlit part is very severe.

It's a great WIP and that is the only slight thing I would try and fix.
    The easiest fix is to take any bump off the sphere.
    A more complex fix is to selectively light the planet with a Dome light with shadows softened, which will increase render time somewhat but should diffuse that transition.

:)

edited December 2014

@ Thesavage - thanks a lot for the tips, but im about 99% sure it is a clipping issue....the sphere is much larger than i looks from the camera view, i have the planet sphere itself and a volumetric material around it, due to its size i think it is clipping the haze in the scene....the lighting on the sphere looks a bit odd also because i am lighting it with the bryce sun and a distant light, all with soft shadows also :) ...that kind of sounds like a rant and if so i don't mean it in that way at all, i appreciate all the tips and critiques i get from this forum :) ...so thanks

Post edited by Tim82 on
    edited December 1969

The lighting looks odd, Tim...the astronaut being lit from the left, the moon from the right. You're probably trying to put across a binary-type system, but the values of each sun's light is producing confusion, I think.

Jay

edited December 1969

I hate abstracts, they are so addictive, there are so many possibilities and I can hardly stop. Here, a symetrical lattice made from a techno basic texture, which also provides the bump. Transparency and reflection only, background by the Gossamer HDRI. In front of the camera the GWL (gigantic wide-angle lens). Looks like a part of a derelict alien spaceship to me.

Craft06.jpg
    900 x 900 - 262K
    edited December 2014

Looks like a section of the Large Hadron Collider...I think I 'see' the Higgs in there, Horo ;-P

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • goofygrmom3goofygrmom3 Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

WOW! What an awesome thread. Y'all are doing great renders here. I've wandered thru this entire thread - all 68 pages. I didn't read every post though. I find it very inspiring. There are now a zillion ideas running around the rocks in my head. Where to start?

I do have 1 question to start with. How do I render something from Apophysis in Bryce. I love to work in Apo and Ultra Fractal.

I have Wings3D on my laptop. I'll have to give it try. I know there are tuts out there somewhere.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Betsy

edited December 1969

@ Jamahoney - the lighting is ment to look odd! ...its on a different planet, plus it is only a concept render not even close to a final render, thats why it was titled as a "WIP" lol

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

It's the Winter Solstice, Yuletide or Xmas if you rather, whatever, time to eat, drink and render. Horo and mines gift to the Brycers is in the store I see http://www.daz3d.com/shop/bryce-7-1-pro-gemstones-one-the-cable-stock-set

Have fun!

Main_p62.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 848K
This discussion has been closed.