[Beta Update] FoliageMaker plugin (1.1 beta available)

22 December 2023
Hello, for the folks interested FoliageMaker 1.1 beta is available for testing here: www.alessandromastronardi.com/FM/foliageMakerAM_1.1B.zip
To install it, simply unzip the contents, overwriting, into your /Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/plugins/ folder
As you run the 1.1B version you will notice a slightly different panel with a big "surface management" button, and a few more.
Here is the list of changes:

/// + handling of surfaces, so that some can be excluded from the foliage generation (accessible from the "surface management" button)
/// + interface values are now saved within the scene .DUF. When you reopen the scene file all the settings used on each object are properly reassigned. See how the panel data is updated automatically as you select different objects that have a FoliageMaker system. This is very convenient so that you can inspect the settings, change them and eventually build a new FoliageMaker system
/// + possibility to load / save presets. Alternatively, it is also possible to just load/save/share preset files with others, or just store them for a later use
/// + interface values remembered through sessions. When you close the app, values are store and retrieved next time you open the program. Handy, right?
/// + reset interface values. You can reset interface settings to default values
/// + instances are now generated and can be managed correctly. In the initial 1.0 release, instance groups would cause the program to freeze or crash. Now this doesn't happen anymore: instances are generated correctly and can be managed properly and as expected

Note: you can always revert to the initial 1.0 version just using DIM.

If you like to help with testing, rather than posting on the forum please send me reports at my email: [email protected]
Thanks a lot and Happy Holidays everybody!
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Since it's coming in a few days, I'd like to introduce The FoliageMaker, a plug-in capable of generating procedural foliage on any object or character. All you need is 1 click: watch how branches and leaves grow in real-time forming unique structures around the base object.
Additionally, the plug-in allows to replace leaves with any type of object or geometry: you can build networks of flowers, plants or anything that comes to mind, without any limitation.
The FoliageMaker includes also a library of more than 20 different leaf materials to allow even more customization.

Here a short reel movie:

Windows only.

main.jpg
1538 x 2000 - 941K
popup_02.jpg
2000 x 2405 - 3M
popup_04.jpg
2000 x 1314 - 680K
popup_08.jpg
2000 x 1088 - 1M
popup_10.jpg
2194 x 1991 - 512K
popup_15.jpg
2000 x 1263 - 1M
popup_16.jpg
2000 x 2000 - 2M
Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on

Comments

• Very impressive. I am wondering if it will be PC only or if it will allow Mac use. Thank you.

• Very nice. You stated it is Windows only. Does this apply to the plugin only? Would a scene genearted on a Windows box work if opened on a Mac (e.g for further processing)?

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,344

Can't wait to play with this!  Looks amazing - and sounds like it could actually be fun to just watch as it does its thing!

• Going once......sold!

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,916

It's a long-shot, but is any usage of this MR?

• GhostofMacbeth said:

Very impressive. I am wondering if it will be PC only or if it will allow Mac use. Thank you.

Unfortunately no Mac version, sorry.

• Mark_e593e0a5 said:

Very nice. You stated it is Windows only. Does this apply to the plugin only? Would a scene genearted on a Windows box work if opened on a Mac (e.g for further processing)?

Yes indeed: the resulting scene is composed of geometry and instances so you can save the duf and use it on a Mac.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,467

How is it that you keep making things I never knew I needed, but now I won't be able to live without?

• barbult said:

How is it that you keep making things I never knew I needed, but now I won't be able to live without?

laugh

• Gogger said:

Can't wait to play with this!  Looks amazing - and sounds like it could actually be fun to just watch as it does its thing!

It is indeed mesmering to watch those branches and twigs grow on the objects.

• AnEye4Art said:

Going once......sold!

Thanks.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,063
    edited September 2023

Looks fantastic, can't wait for it to hit the store!

Post edited by FenixPhoenix on
  • Sign me up as well, guys.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Alessandro Mastronardi said:

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

Very nice. You stated it is Windows only. Does this apply to the plugin only? Would a scene genearted on a Windows box work if opened on a Mac (e.g for further processing)?

Yes indeed: the resulting scene is composed of geometry and instances so you can save the duf and use it on a Mac.

reserving some space in my shopping card, ignoring my weeping credit card laugh 

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,214

Oh, this looks like a fun product! I hope I have some money left by the time it comes out ...

• The ultrascenery bridge is going to get a make over with this.

• Oso3D said:

It's a long-shot, but is any usage of this MR?

There should be an MR version coming a few days later.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,916

Very happy to hear that!!

My wallet is a patient hunter...

• AnEye4Art said:

The ultrascenery bridge is going to get a make over with this.

I had exactly the same idea!

Cheers,

Alex. 

• ElorElor Posts: 852

Alessandro Mastronardi said:

Does this product requires a powerful computer ?

I ask, because my most powerful Windows machine is a small box with a Core i5-8500T, not exactly a CPU legends are told about blush

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,169

Very interesting. Looks great.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,561

Ooooh, this looks amazing! Will get it instantly, I just love adding functionality to DS like this. Are the beautiful rose versions included as well? 

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,615
    edited September 2023

tsroemi said:

Ooooh, this looks amazing! Will get it instantly, I just love adding functionality to DS like this. Are the beautiful rose versions included as well? 

It's not included, but if you guys want it, I can share it: www.alessandromastronardi.com/downloads/rose.duf

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,615
    edited September 2023

Elor said:

Does this product requires a powerful computer ?

I ask, because my most powerful Windows machine is a small box with a Core i5-8500T, not exactly a CPU legends are told about blush

For what concerns the geometry generation (if you watched the video it's all those branches and twigs forming up, and the creation of leaves), it should be reasonably fast also on lower end machines. Then of course if you have lot of geometry to render, that depends on the GPU and VRAM available: and if you render on CPU well that of course could be really slow.

• ElorElor Posts: 852

For what concerns the geometry generation (if you watched the video it's all those branches and twigs forming up, and the creation of leaves), it should be reasonably fast also on lower end machines. Then of course if you have lot of geometry to render, that depends on the GPU and VRAM available: and if you render on CPU well that of course could be really slow.

'That's my secret Cap', I'm always rendering slow' laugh

I'm expecting slowness by default when I'm rendering (my most powerful computer is my Macbook Pro with an Apple CPU, so Iray is sadly not taking advantage of the GPU) but if my Windows computer can generate the geometry without too much troubles, let's say that there is no law against CPU rendering all night long blush, so I'll keep an eye on your product.

Thank you for your answer.

tsroemi said:

It's not included, but if you guys want it, I can share it: www.alessandromastronardi.com/downloads/rose.duf

Very nice, thank you!heart 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,467

The rose looks nicely modeled, but the textures are missing. Evidently they have hard coded paths in the duf file, too (?). Are we intended to texture it ourselves with shaders? I understand that you did not intend to distribute it and offered it as a gift.

/D:/downloads/Rose.fbm/5.png
    /D:/downloads/Rose.fbm/7.png
    /D:/downloads/Rose.fbm/7N.png

• barbult said:

The rose looks nicely modeled, but the textures are missing. Evidently they have hard coded paths in the duf file, too (?). Are we intended to texture it ourselves with shaders? I understand that you did not intend to distribute it and offered it as a gift.

No it was an error on my end. Download this, it has all it's needed: https://www.alessandromastronardi.com/downloads/rose.zip

• Alessandro Mastronardi said:

barbult said:

No it was an error on my end. Download this, it has all it's needed: https://www.alessandromastronardi.com/downloads/rose.zip

Thank you!

barbult said:

Thanks from me, too!