[Beta Update] FoliageMaker plugin (1.1 beta available)

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,345

Thank you for the DIM'd roses, @barbult 

The renders so far look really nice. I'll be buying this later today (when I've decided how much else to put in the cart).

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084
    edited September 2023

WendyLuvsCatz said:

mcorr said:

What advantages -- if any -- does this product have over the free blender plug-in that accomplishes the very same job?

well there is also ivygen if you want to go that route, Fenric even gave us a Carrara plugin

but most DAZ studio users want something DAZ studio integrated, I mean I love Carrara hair/ fur when in Carrara but LAMH still my prefered DAZ studio option just wish animation possibe

can to an extent but it's a struggle getting it to sync and only 3Delight,

I run out of memory by 30 frames

(considerably less fond of DAZ strandbased rebadged Garibaldi hair)

if LAMH could be made to work with iray as curves (not mesh) I would joyfully pay for an update, hint hint

getting waaay off topic/derailing thread so will shut up blush

well .... DAZ has a Blender bridge, so what is on one end can be transferred to the other side ... so there is some degree of integration/seamlessness ...

moreover Blender is free, the Ivymaker plugin for Blender is free, it`s available for BOTH platforms (which the product here in questiobn is not) , and AFAIK it also free for making products (MR)...

So far, I don't see a convincing reason for me to shell out for this product and then also on top of that to shell out more for the MR option....

EDIT: the fact that the leaves can be replaced with anything (if one needs this feature) seems to be a difference

Post edited by mcorr on
  • most users just want to render stuff in DAZ studio

if you don't want it just don't buy it yes

the interface and speed looks good so product creators who work in D|S and say Hexagon might like the MR

I am even considering the non-MR plugin simply because it's a right PITA to export my Carrara ivy creations to DAZ when I want to render there cheeky

• Congratulations Alessandro. Excellent product. I just purchased it.  

• Virtual_World said:

Congratulations Alessandro. Excellent product. I just purchased it.  

Many thanks, I hope you will have fun using it.

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,405

fantastic! i literally made a little joy dance as i saw this awesome product  - and instabuy!

which is a record for me, i hardly (if ever) buy anything before it's years old and grew mold in my wishlist. this here didn't even make the wishlist, it went directly into the cart ^^
    you've brought an amazing feature AM, thank you ^^

also thanks to you and  @barbult  for the roses!

• manekiNeko said:

fantastic! i literally made a little joy dance as i saw this awesome product  - and instabuy!

which is a record for me, i hardly (if ever) buy anything before it's years old and grew mold in my wishlist. this here didn't even make the wishlist, it went directly into the cart ^^

Thanks to you and your kind words. Glad you like it.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,973

manekiNeko said:

Remember that AM made the rose and donated it to us. I just made it a Daz prop, made presets from his textures, and packaged it all for DIM. Most credit for the rose goes to him.

• lorraineopualorraineopua Posts: 635
    edited September 2023

I've been playing with this for a while, having a lot of fun, and the one thing I cannot do is get a FoliageRoot to appear when I switch to custom. I have tried with both a node selected and without and nothing happens. Alessandro, what am I doing wrong?

Edit: Aha! I figured it out. The AM/FoliageMaker folder needs to reside in the Props folder, not in my Plants folder. i tend to put things where I want them and sometimes that doesn't work.

Post edited by lorraineopua on
  • Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,619
    edited September 2023

lorraineopua said:

I've been playing with this for a while, having a lot of fun, and the one thing I cannot do is get a FoliageRoot to appear when I switch to custom. I have tried with both a node selected and without and nothing happens. Alessandro, what am I doing wrong?

hi, how do you mean it doesn't appear? Can you select it from the scene panel and frame it? Post or send me a screenshot to my email, I can help you with that .

ah ok you fixed it!

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • So I installed foliagemaker content and foliagemaker 64 via dim but is it supposed to be under ---window---panes (tabs)?

• AnEye4Art said:

So I installed foliagemaker content and foliagemaker 64 via dim but is it supposed to be under ---window---panes (tabs)?

yes but first you have to activate it. Check out the pdf manual in my the content library 

• Done. Thanks.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 761
    edited September 2023

I've tried the plug-in on some rather complex objects but it looks like it does not work well on them or am i doing something wrong? So I tried it on one of several props like https://www.daz3d.com/flooded-cemetery and it seem to build and is listed under node but the vines never show up. It builds well on a sphere but not anything too complex according to my tests.

Post edited by AnEye4Art on
  • StingerStinger Posts: 311

I tried to install FolliageMaker twice through Install Manager, and Daz Studio is telling me files don't exist.  Help!

Screenshot 2023-09-24 191922.jpg
    412 x 720 - 102K
    Screenshot 2023-09-24 192527.jpg
    173 x 106 - 7K
  • The Control overview on the product page and linked in the PDF is wonderful! Gives a great idea of what can be done with the product and how to use it.Actually it does a lot more than I originally thought. Having used a 3D modeler for plants before, the biggest advantage for me, besides it looking so cool and fun, is that it can be done right inside Daz Studio. Congratulations on a great product.  

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 761
    edited September 2023

This object is what I want to cover with vines but no vines appear. However, I am able to run materia meshmaker and that works fine. I know they're different products, but the vines should work on this object.

1.png
    1224 x 705 - 625K
    Post edited by AnEye4Art on

When I grow Foliage on a surface, is there a way to keep the vines and leaves on one side of the surface (Surface Normal) without poking through to the back side of the surface?

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,226

Woo hooot... I'm a happy camper tonight... I've been playing with FoilageMaker all day!!!!!!!!  I got the liscence version and plan on making stuff as freebies and maybe to sell.... (I have a few idea ;) ... If I add anything to the vines like another PA's flowers... I need their permission to add it to the freebie/sale item???  I'm thinking if I wanna sell something I best start making it in Hexagon???  The vines.. etc from the package are ok to sell??? 

• Can you tell me where the other leaf shapes are other than the default?  I don't see how to change them...

RandWulf said:

Can you tell me where the other leaf shapes are other than the default?  I don't see how to change them...

They are material zones just like when you change textures on a dress... highlight the leaf and select the material you want... I found them in my PRODUCTS>F>The FoliageMaker

Llola Lane said:

RandWulf said:

Can you tell me where the other leaf shapes are other than the default?  I don't see how to change them...

They are material zones just like when you change textures on a dress... highlight the leaf and select the material you want... I found them in my PRODUCTS>F>The FoliageMaker

The readme also tells you where the files are... http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/91755/start

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,405

barbult said:

manekiNeko said:

Remember that AM made the rose and donated it to us. I just made it a Daz prop, made presets from his textures, and packaged it all for DIM. Most credit for the rose goes to him.

that's why i thanked you both for it, the "you" being AM ^^ - and just "made it a Daz prop, made presets from his textures, and packaged it all for DIM" is still a feat ^^ :)

manekiNeko said:

barbult said:

manekiNeko said:

that's why i thanked you both for it, the "you" being AM ^^ - and just "made it a Daz prop, made presets from his textures, and packaged it all for DIM" is still a feat ^^ :)

I guess I didn't read very carefully! blush And, yes, it was a bit of effort, so I'm glad if more people can can some benefit from that work.

edited September 2023

OK, don't ask my why vines would be growing off of a beach umbrella, but it was something that I was compelled to do for some reason.

Foliage on Beach Umbrella Extruded_003_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited September 2023

RandWulf said:

The other leaf textures are Shader Presets. After you generate the foliage, you select the Foliagemaker item in the Scene pane and click the triangle to expand it. Then select the FM_leaves object. Next go to the Surfaces pane and select the FM_leaves surface. Then apply one of the many leaf Shader Presets. The leaves on your Foliagemaker item will change.

Screenshot 2023-09-25 025353.jpg
    613 x 1121 - 158K
    Post edited by barbult on

If I only want to generate foliage on part of an object, how do I restrict the growth to certain surfaces or geometry selections? I was hoping that hiding surfaces with Cutout Opacity or hiding polygons with the Geometry editor would work, but it doesn't. I had to actually delete polygons from the object to keep the point cloud from covering the entire geometry. Deleting geometry is a pretty drastic operation. Is there a better way, please.

(For example, on the beach umbrella I posted above, I had to delete the pole and ribs of the umbrella. The custom root is at the top of the umbrella in this example.)

Is there a way to get FoliageMaker to remember the settings I used? It remembers while I am in a session, but if I close the scene and reopen to work on it later, all settings have gone back to default. It would be nice if there were a way to save settings presets and reload them later. Is there any way to do that?

• Stinger said:

I tried to install FolliageMaker twice through Install Manager, and Daz Studio is telling me files don't exist.  Help!

@Stinger hi, it looks like the DIM doesn't install the product. Contact me at [email protected] , I will help you with that.

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,619
    edited September 2023

AnEye4Art said:

I've tried the plug-in on some rather complex objects but it looks like it does not work well on them or am i doing something wrong? So I tried it on one of several props like https://www.daz3d.com/flooded-cemetery and it seem to build and is listed under node but the vines never show up. It builds well on a sphere but not anything too complex according to my tests.

On large props, it might happen that the points are too far to generate a decent number of branches. So here is what I did: I scaled the crypt at 50% and ran the foliagemaker twice, moving the root left and right. Afterwards I scaled the crypt back at 100% and done. This of course isn't optimal but I'll fix handling of larger props on next update, which I'm already working on.

sshot-70.jpg
    2684 x 1975 - 507K
    Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on