[Beta Update] FoliageMaker plugin (1.1 beta available)

Comments

• Just wanted to pop in with a couple quick questions on the MR Version!

Bought it as soon as it showed up in the store!! Wicked awesome and thanks for the Rose and @Barbult for the additional files for the Rose!

MR Questions:
    1. Which files in the product are considered Resource files? I know the created mesh is ok to use but what about the included texture files (Leaves/flowers/etc.) 
    2. Is the Rose considered part of the MR Resources or just a regular freebie?
    3. Are there any hard lines that can't be crossed with the MR like creating freebies etc.?

Sorry for all the questions but there's nothing on the MR Page that states what is and isn't considered a resource and no useage terms on it either.
    Elli

• Hello Elliandra, see below...

Elliandra said:

Just wanted to pop in with a couple quick questions on the MR Version!

Bought it as soon as it showed up in the store!! Wicked awesome and thanks for the Rose and @Barbult for the additional files for the Rose!

MR Questions:
    1. Which files in the product are considered Resource files? I know the created mesh is ok to use but what about the included texture files (Leaves/flowers/etc.) 

The leaf and bark material .duf files and the associated textures can be redistributed. There are no flowers included.

The rose is a freebie.

3. Are there any hard lines that can't be crossed with the MR like creating freebies etc.

Not that I can think of. You can redistribute and even sell the geometry and assets, intended as branches and leaves, produced by the FoliageMaker. If you instance objects, it's your responsibilty to check the copyright of those. So obviously you can't resell or redistribute an asset that contains a 3rd party model, unless the author gives permissions.

Sorry for all the questions but there's nothing on the MR Page that states what is and isn't considered a resource and no useage terms on it either.

Elli

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,126

Alessandro Mastronardi said:

Hello Elliandra, see below...

Elliandra said:

Just wanted to pop in with a couple quick questions on the MR Version!

MR Questions:

The leaf and bark material .duf files and the associated textures can be redistributed. There are no flowers included.

The rose is a freebie.

3. Are there any hard lines that can't be crossed with the MR like creating freebies etc.

Not that I can think of. You can redistribute and even sell the geometry and assets, intended as branches and leaves, produced by the FoliageMaker. If you instance objects, it's your responsibilty to check the copyright of those. So obviously you can't resell or redistribute an asset that contains a 3rd party model, unless the author gives permissions.

Elli

Thank you .. I had the same questions earlier that didn't get answered.  :)  

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,171
    edited September 2023

The trick with scalling down to 10% work with the ladder from:

https://www.daz3d.com/1stb-climb-that-ladder-props-and-poses-for-genesis-8-female

Added https://www.daz3d.com/vyk-glacea-for-genesis-9

It looks like one need to iterate many times with the parameters to get what one want.

Would be great, if one can edit parameters and do not need to delete previous foliage maker run.

Ladder03pic01gh.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 472K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624
    edited September 2023

Had some time to play.  I ended up having to add the cabin instead of doing the scene set.  I then had to scale it down to 25%.  This is multiple generated instances one on the front, side and one on the wheel.  The ones on the cabin did go through the wall even though the root was outside. I also raised the marker up half way up the wall in the front.  On the wheel I did one down low and then one up high, I was trying to see if it would wrap around the wheel.  Still might be possible these are all done with default settings except having to do custom and moving the root.

SnowyCabin9272023.jpg
    1500 x 928 - 1M
    Post edited by Daventaki on
  • Artini said:

The trick with scalling down to 10% work with the ladder from:

https://www.daz3d.com/1stb-climb-that-ladder-props-and-poses-for-genesis-8-female

Added https://www.daz3d.com/vyk-glacea-for-genesis-9

It looks like one need to iterate many times with the parameters to get what one want.

Would be great, if one can edit parameters and do not need to delete previous foliage maker run.

Yes, as I mentioned this first release doesn't account properly for large props. I will see to fix it for incoming update. But you don't need to delete previous FM growths, you can just run a new one which will add and be parented to the main object. If instead you meant that the previous growth has to be automatically deleted and recreated well, in that case I think it might lead to lot of confusion and would require a different asset management, something quite complex to do.

• Daventaki said:

Had some time to play.  I ended up having to add the cabin instead of doing the scene set.  I then had to scale it down to 25%.  This is multiple generated instances one on the front, side and one on the wheel.  The ones on the cabin did go through the wall even though the root was outside. I also raised the marker up half way up the wall in the front.  On the wheel I did one down low and then one up high, I was trying to see if it would wrap around the wheel.  Still might be possible these are all done with default settings except having to do custom and moving the root.

Good results. Next update I'll see to add surface management, so you can restrict growth to specific surfaces making that more accurate. And correct handling of large props like in this case.

• Thanks for the quick reply to the MR info Alessandro!!

• Here is another example (with better lighting) of what foliage maker can do, albeit with some tweeking. Imagine what it will do with the updates. I call this one: I see you.

I See You.png
    3200 x 1200 - 6M

Thanks Alessandro. That was not a good idea.

That looks great, @AnEye4Art

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

After playing around quite a bit here and forcing myself to watch the tutorial video fully (because I really hate to do that) here is my second play with this plugin.  I love it!!  I had something else in mind when I started but I ended up staying with this because I liked the way it crawled up the one side.  Two things I look absolutely forward to are the gemetry exclusion and being able to generate on a larger object.  The workaround works and absolutely does not make it unusable but I am lazy.

Thank you @Alessandro Mastronardi  and @Barbult for the rose, colors and easy to install files.

This is two foliage generations one with the roses and the other with the leaves; only thing changed between the two is the sizes. 

USFoliageMakerTM09272023.jpg
    1500 x 928 - 2M
    USFoliageMakerTM09272023-2.jpg
    1500 x 928 - 2M
  • More vine action in: The Hidden Tomb.

The Hidden Tomb.png
    3200 x 1200 - 8M
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,479

AnEye4Art said:

More vine action in: The Hidden Tomb.

The image is too dark to see much. I wonder if your monitor is not properly calibrated.

• Daventaki said:

After playing around quite a bit here and forcing myself to watch the tutorial video fully (because I really hate to do that) here is my second play with this plugin.  I love it!!  I had something else in mind when I started but I ended up staying with this because I liked the way it crawled up the one side.  Two things I look absolutely forward to are the gemetry exclusion and being able to generate on a larger object.  The workaround works and absolutely does not make it unusable but I am lazy.

Thank you @Alessandro Mastronardi  and @Barbult for the rose, colors and easy to install files.

This is two foliage generations one with the roses and the other with the leaves; only thing changed between the two is the sizes. 

Great result, well done!

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,359
    edited September 2023

Another expedition deep into the darkest interior of Ultrascenery and UltrasceneryXT, with the vines on the bridge courtesy of Foliage Maker. 

The foreground is a combination of Ultrascenery Stone Bridge 3 and the Britain 4 ecology, the background is UltrasceneryXT.

Cheers,

Alex.

Stone Bridge Foliage 1.jpg
    3000 x 1875 - 2M
    Stone Bridge Foliage 2.jpg
    3000 x 1875 - 2M
    Stone Bridge Foliage 3.jpg
    3000 x 1875 - 2M
    Stone Bridge Foliage 4.jpg
    3000 x 1875 - 2M
    Post edited by alexhcowley on
  • AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 749
    edited September 2023

barbult said:

AnEye4Art said:

More vine action in: The Hidden Tomb.

The image is too dark to see much. I wonder if your monitor is not properly calibrated.

The darkness was intentional in this one so that I can create a focal point. The eye needs a "resting" place or focalpoint when viewing a picture. I disdain busy scenes without a focal point.

Post edited by AnEye4Art on
    edited September 2023

alexhcowley said:

Another expedition deep into the darkest interior of Ultrascenery and UltrasceneryXT, with the vines on the bridge courtesy of Foliage Maker. 

The foreground is a combination of Ultrascenery Stone Bridge 3 and the Britain 4 ecology, the background is UltrasceneryXT.

Cheers,

Alex.

I like this one: convincing vines that have the leaves nicely sized and the vines are not growing all over the road. Can you explain your process? For me, it is a hit and miss with the results.

Side note: in the third picture from the left, what is that black thing? Is it a head of hair?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,954
    edited September 2023

AnEye4Art

Side note: in the third picture from the left, what is that black thing? Is it a head of hair?

looks like a critter sitting on the bridge, don't think it's a cat

alexhcowley AKA ALF would have eaten it

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • WendyLuvsCatz said:

AnEye4Art

looks like a critter sitting on the bridge, don't think it's a cat

alexhcowley AKA ALF would have eaten it

Oops, you're very sharp eyed. That should not  be there.

Cheers,

Alex. 

• AnEye4Art said:

alexhcowley said:

Cheers,

Alex.

I like this one: convincing vines that have the leaves nicely sized and the vines are not growing all over the road. Can you explain your process? For me, it is a hit and miss with the results.

There was a fair degree of trial and lots of error in producing the images. Unfortunately, as noted above, Foliage Maker does not remember the parameters used when you reload the scene. My first attempt took half an hour to generate the foliage (on a six core i5) and ended up with ridiculously dense vines. I then reset the options and did some much more judicous tweaking.

I do remember bumping up the  number of iterations to 500.  If  I remember correctly, I increased the growth complexity, foliage density and foliage / instance size to 2. 

The general rule of thumb with anything like this is to only change one parameter at a time and by a modest amount.  It is not, alas, a short process. 

Cheers,

Alex.

edited September 2023

Good advice, Alex. Thanks. Your vines look natural as it would be in the real world. Me, on the other hand, want to cover every corner of the bridge. All the tweaking will be a thing of the past in due time.

• AnEye4Art said:

Here is another example (with better lighting) of what foliage maker can do, albeit with some tweeking. Imagine what it will do with the updates. I call this one: I see you.

Love that scene, very nicely done AnEye4 Art. Great example of enhancing your scene with the foliage maker.

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,400

Daventaki said:

absolutely wonderful! <3 

• alexhcowley said:

Cheers,

Alex.

Great images, well done Alex. Stay tuned for next update,you will be able to load and save presets.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,571
    edited September 2023

I'm being absolutely daft right now: I can't seem to reduce the iterations created to less than 100 --- ? The foliage itself went alright, and then I wanted to add some roses, but there were way too many of them. So I tried to reduce iterations to 20, but that never gets saved somehow, neither in automatic nor custom mode. It must be something really obvious I'm doing wrong, but I don't see it. Can anybody help me out? Thanks heart

Edit: Just re-read the manual, I think iterations is just the wrong value, and I need to tweak the foliage/instance density instead. Will try that instead. Sorry for being such an ejit!

Edit2: Ermmm, no, that's not it. I cannot turn down this value either. So, how does one actually reduce the number of instances created? Like, if I want only a few roses instead of a mass of them?

Post edited by tsroemi on
  • tsroemi said:

I'm being absolutely daft right now: I can't seem to reduce the iterations created to less than 100 --- ? The foliage itself went alright, and then I wanted to add some roses, but there were way too many of them. So I tried to reduce iterations to 20, but that never gets saved somehow, neither in automatic nor custom mode. It must be something really obvious I'm doing wrong, but I don't see it. Can anybody help me out? Thanks heart

Edit: Just re-read the manual, I think iterations is just the wrong value, and I need to tweak the foliage/instance density instead. Will try that instead. Sorry for being such an ejit!

Edit2: Ermmm, no, that's not it. I cannot turn down this value either. So, how does one actually reduce the number of instances created? Like, if I want only a few roses instead of a mass of them?

If you feel like you messed with the values you can reset those to default settings, there is a button in the panel to do that. Minimum iterations are indeed set at 100, less than those would lead to a very poor growth in most cases. To reduce foliage density, try to set a high growth bias: that will concentrate leaves especially on secondary twigs. And of course set foliage density to a minimum.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,571

tsroemi said:

If you feel like you messed with the values you can reset those to default settings, there is a button in the panel to do that. Minimum iterations are indeed set at 100, less than those would lead to a very poor growth in most cases. To reduce foliage density, try to set a high growth bias: that will concentrate leaves especially on secondary twigs. And of course set foliage density to a minimum.

Hi, thanks for helping! I will try with the bias. I cannot reduce foliage density beyond its default value though (I think it's 1), is that right?

• tsroemi said:

tsroemi said:

Hi, thanks for helping! I will try with the bias. I cannot reduce foliage density beyond its default value though (I think it's 1), is that right?

No, it can't be decreased below 1, but I'll see if I can change that in next update.

• tsroemi said:

tsroemi said:

No, it can't be decreased below 1, but I'll see if I can change that in next update.