[Beta Update] FoliageMaker plugin (1.1 beta available)

Comments

• barbult said:

Is there a way to get FoliageMaker to remember the settings I used? It remembers while I am in a session, but if I close the scene and reopen to work on it later, all settings have gone back to default. It would be nice if there were a way to save settings presets and reload them later. Is there any way to do that?

Valid points, this and the one above. Read my next post.

• Ok so as @barbuit suggested, and feedback received so far, here are some features and fixes to add in next update:

- handling of surfaces, so that some can be excluded from the foliage generation
    - possibility to load/save presets
    - interface values remembered through sessions
    - points multiplier to increase points count (useful especially on large props where growth might stop prematurely or not show at all)
    - if using, for example, a very thin wall, it can happen that some branches are able to poke through. I'll see to fix all this with a collision test

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,973

Alessandro Mastronardi said:

Ok so as @barbuit suggested, and feedback received so far, here are some features and fixes to add in next update:

- handling of surfaces, so that some can be excluded from the foliage generation
    - points multiplier to increase points count (useful especially on large props where growth might stop prematurely or not show at all)
    - if using, for example, a very thin wall, it can happen that some branches are able to poke through. I'll see to fix all this with a collision test

Wonderful!

Stinger said:

I tried to install FolliageMaker twice through Install Manager, and Daz Studio is telling me files don't exist.  Help!

@Stinger hi, it looks like the DIM doesn't install the product. Contact me at [email protected] , I will help you with that.

I installed FoliageMaker on Windows 10 with DIM with no problems at all.

• barbult said:

Stinger said:

I tried to install FolliageMaker twice through Install Manager, and Daz Studio is telling me files don't exist.  Help!

@Stinger hi, it looks like the DIM doesn't install the product. Contact me at [email protected] , I will help you with that.

My first thought was a file zapping by an AV app.

• Alessandro Mastronardi said:

Ok so as @barbuit suggested, and feedback received so far, here are some features and fixes to add in next update:

Thank you very much. I really appreciate you, Sir. 

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,226

barbult said:

Stinger said:

ditto.. DIM installed mine with no problems as well :)

Llola Lane said:

Woo hooot... I'm a happy camper tonight... I've been playing with FoilageMaker all day!!!!!!!!  I got the liscence version and plan on making stuff as freebies and maybe to sell.... (I have a few idea ;) ... If I add anything to the vines like another PA's flowers... I need their permission to add it to the freebie/sale item???  I'm thinking if I wanna sell something I best start making it in Hexagon???  The vines.. etc from the package are ok to sell??? 

In addition to the above.. I am having problems with.... 

I tried deleting "nodes" in instances but they don't delete... Last night everytime I clicked a node my computer would freeze up... Today I don't seem to be having that problem... now the nodes just don't delete. 

also... I can't seem to save my Foilage alone without the object... How do we share to sell what we made???  The instances don't appear til I used the Iray preview window. 

also... there are 2 commands not in the instruction manual... TWIG SURFACE DISTANCE... and TWIG VERTICAL REACH... after playing I know what they do... Just thought I'd mention they are missing in the manual. 

So far I'm lovin' this product!!!!  whoo hoo...  I agree with your list above for improvements... you are soooo smart... I'm jealous!!!  lol  Thanks for all you create.. I have several of your products!

If you want to see the instances in the viewport without Iray Preview, select the instances in the Scene pane and turn on Visible in Viewport in the Display section of the Parameters pane.

Screenshot 2023-09-25 122729.jpg
    594 x 1152 - 95K

barbult said:

If you want to see the instances in the viewport without Iray Preview, select the instances in the Scene pane and turn on Visible in Viewport in the Display section of the Parameters pane.

check... done... it still won't let me save the instances as an OBJ to be able to share with others... all that gets saved is the instanced obj...

edited September 2023

Silly, but it had to be done. laugh

Roses on Rose.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

check... done... it still won't let me save the instances as an OBJ to be able to share with others... all that gets saved is the instanced obj...

I don't have the MR version, so I don't know what the permissions for sharing are. I'd say that it is not a good idea to convert the instances to OBJ. It would create a very large bunch of geometry. That is the whole point of instances - to reduce the amount of geometry so you aren't dealing with millions of polygons. I'd suggest selecting saving the necessary parts as a scene subset, but AM may suggest something else. Totte (Code66) has a tool to convert instances to objects, if you really need to go that way.

barbult said:

That's lovely barb... I've been playing too.... but... Say you like that rose... and want to give it to a friend.. or sell it... HOW do we share it once it's made????  I can't figure it out... ughh.

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

That's lovely barb... I've been playing too.... but... Say you like that rose... and want to give it to a friend.. or sell it... HOW do we share it once it's made????  I can't figure it out... ughh.

See my suggestion above. I think we cross posted.

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

I don't have the MR version, so I don't know what the permissions for sharing are. I'd say that it is not a good idea to convert the instances to OBJ. It would create a very large bunch of geometry. That is the whole point of instances - to reduce the amount of geometry so you aren't dealing with millions of polygons. I'd suggest selecting saving the necessary parts as a scene subset, but AM may suggest something else. Totte (Code66) has a tool to convert instances to objects, if you really need to go that way.

well.. there may be a time when.. let's say you want to move your vines from your umbrella to something else that you've created in another creation.  How would you save it for future use without the umbrella???  I'm thinking the sphere vine shape could be used for lots of things... 

I missed out on Totte's instances to objects sale... I''ve got it on my wishlist...  So many uses for objs... my brain is exploding.. lol

I bought the MR version but as far as I can tell there is no way to package and sell/share what I've created... I know the product is new... there are a lot of how to instructions that need to be written.

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

scene subset... gonna try that next... or maybe save the group as a prop????

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

scene subset... gonna try that next... or maybe save the group as a prop????

kk.. scene subset worked... but it saved it as a group...   making it a prop did not work... I don't think you can save a group to a prop... hence wanting to make it an object.  hummm

Llola Lane said:

well.. there may be a time when.. let's say you want to move your vines from your umbrella to something else that you've created in another creation.  How would you save it for future use without the umbrella???  I'm thinking the sphere vine shape could be used for lots of things... 

I missed out on Totte's instances to objects sale... I''ve got it on my wishlist...  So many uses for objs... my brain is exploding.. lol

I bought the MR version but as far as I can tell there is no way to package and sell/share what I've created... I know the product is new... there are a lot of how to instructions that need to be written.

In the case of the vines on the umbrella, it does not use instanced objects. I could export it as OBJ. Then it could be shared as a single object, I suppose. But really I should stop giving advice, since I don't know what the MR terms even are.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,971

Stinger said:

Didn't install for me, either - I''l drop you an email a bit later 

edited September 2023

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

In the case of the vines on the umbrella, it does not use instanced objects. I could export it as OBJ. Then it could be shared as a single object, I suppose. But really I should stop giving advice, since I don't know what the MR terms even are.

The more I play... the more I think I need Totte's Instances to Object program... I'm waiting for it to go on sale again.  I've been playing all day and I can't get a group to a prop... Even if I didn't by the MR... I'd still wanna know for personal reasons.  I am using the Foliage Maker with my own prop.... I have an idea.  I rarely use programs for what they are for... I like using them in unusual ways.  ;)  I'm convinced I need Totte's program... so I'll wait :)  Don't quit giving advice Barb... you have been a huge help so far :)  Thanks oodles.

Post edited by Llola Lane on

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

Hum.. Now ya got me curious... HOW does your vines on the umbrella NOT use instances???  (scratches head)

edited September 2023

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

The more I play... the more I think I need Totte's Instances to Object program... I'm waiting for it to go on sale again.  I've been playing all day and I can't get a group to a prop... Even if I didn't by the MR... I'd still wanna know for personal reasons.  I am using the Foliage Maker with my own prop.... I have an idea.  I rarely use programs for what they are for... I like using them in unusual ways.  ;)  I'm convinced I need Totte's program... so I'll wait :)  Don't quit giving advice Barb... you have been a huge help so far :)  Thanks oodles.

I don't see any reason that you would need to convert the instances to objects to distribute them, unless that is stipulated in the MR terms. There are many products in the Daz store that contain instances. I think you are looking at this the wrong way, but then I don't know what your idea is.

For example, look at Predatron's Cypress Lane. Every one of the items in the Environments category of that product is a scene subset. Some of those scene subsets contain instances. Instances are the most efficient (less drain on the customer's computer resources) way to distribute this stuff.

Screenshot 2023-09-25 135052.jpg
    586 x 709 - 101K
    Screenshot 2023-09-25 135216.jpg
    480 x 866 - 92K

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

Hum.. Now ya got me curious... HOW does your vines on the umbrella NOT use instances???  (scratches head)

It just uses the leaves built in to FoliageMaker. They are just planes with a texture and cutout applied, so very efficient. You only use instances when you want to replace the leaves with some other object of your choosing. 

• This is fun :-)

And thank you Alessandro Mastronardi and barbult for the roses too ... that's primarily what I came looking to find out about.

I can see so many uses for this plug-in! Thank you for making it Alessandro Mastronardi.

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

It just uses the leaves built in to FoliageMaker. They are just planes with a texture and cutout applied, so very efficient. You only use instances when you want to replace the leaves with some other object of your choosing. 

ok... got'cha... I WAS able to save a spherevine as an OBJ... Thanks :)  (see... you ARE helping ;))

Catherine3678ab said:

This is fun :-)

And thank you Alessandro Mastronardi and barbult for the roses too ... that's primarily what I came looking to find out about.

I can see so many uses for this plug-in! Thank you for making it Alessandro Mastronardi.

agreed ;)

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

I don't see any reason that you would need to convert the instances to objects to distribute them, unless that is stipulated in the MR terms. There are many products in the Daz store that contain instances. I think you are looking at this the wrong way, but then I don't know what your idea is.

For example, look at Predatron's Cypress Lane. Every one of the items in the Environments category of that product is a scene subset. Some of those scene subsets contain instances. Instances are the most efficient (less drain on the customer's computer resources) way to distribute this stuff.

ahhhhhhhhh.. ok.. I'm slooooooooooowly understanding... Save as a scene subset then distribut that as a SET... duhh... It takes me a while... but I think I got it :)

But... I still want to save as OBJ for another project so I'm waiting for Totte's product to go on sale again... lol.  I had it in my cart last night and when I woke up it was back to regular price... ughhh... That's what I get for sleeping... lol

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,405

getting better and better! thanks for keeping improving it ^^ 

edited September 2023

I sometimes get no foliage. I get this error in the log:

2023-09-25 14:33:08.062 [WARNING] :: C:\DAZDevel\Hudson\HUDSON_HOME\workspace\NB_DS_Dev_cmake\src\sdksource\shapes\dzfacetmesh.cpp(1840): DzFacetMesh::preSizeFacets() called outside of editing mode - call beginEdit() first!

Am I doing something wrong in those cases?

• barbult said:

I sometimes get no foliage. I get this error in the log:

2023-09-25 14:33:08.062 [WARNING] :: C:\DAZDevel\Hudson\HUDSON_HOME\workspace\NB_DS_Dev_cmake\src\sdksource\shapes\dzfacetmesh.cpp(1840): DzFacetMesh::preSizeFacets() called outside of editing mode - call beginEdit() first!

Am I doing something wrong in those cases?

Does it lead to a crash or are you able to run the plugin again? I think that's probaby caused by a null geometry (so no foliage as you mentioned) and so the construction routine get puzzled. It's a warning, however, not a "real" error.

In any case, mind that there is also a dedicated FoliageMaker log file in Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\foliageMakerAM\foliageMakerLogFile.txt

That usually gives a better idea at what's going on.