[Beta Update] FoliageMaker plugin (1.1 beta available)

167891012»

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,973
    edited January 21

Alessandro Mastronardi said:

Ok, then we shall see with the new beta version. I'm noting down the issues to be fixed. Besides the negativities, did you find any improvements like with the new instancing feature? Did you try how the surface selection works?

Thank you for making continued improvements. Having the ability to select surfaces is a very nice addition. The surface selection works properly for a single prop in the scene. I commented above about the problem when there are multiple props to grow foliage on; the surface selection for the second item defaults to only a partial surface selection. After using surface selection, I was frequently getting DS crashes. I'm not sure what action caused that. One thing that will crash DS every time, it seems, is if the surfaces in the item are changed. For example, if I see that I only want to grow foliage on a certain area, but that area is not a defined surface. I can use Geometry Editor to select polygons and create a surface from selected. FoliageMaker does NOT like that! It would be nice if it could handle that situation more gracefully, instead of crashing DS.

I have not tried any instance objects with the new Beta yet. I have only used the built in leaves to try the surface selection feature.

I did try saving and loading settings. That seemed to work OK. I've gotten confused though about how the automatic "remembering" of settings works. Are the settings associated with the prop that foliage is grown on or the foliage group that is grown? As I am clicking around in the scene pane to delete some foliage maker groups, sometimes I see settings change unexpectedly (to me), because I don't understand the scheme yet.

I haven't made much testing progress, because I came home from my last trip in January sick. I'm still recovering. It leaves me extra grumpy and with not much energy or concentration.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited January 20

This is a red and white beachball that I grew foliage on. I selected each surface separately and grew foliage on it. Then I applied different shaders to the leaves of each FM group. ( Just experimenting with the surface selection. )

FM on beachball surfaces.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 761
    Foliagemaker still doesn't grow on larger objects the last time I played with the beta. The point cloud forms and the vines attempts to grow on the object, and then nothing. Then Daz will crash soon afterwards.
    AnEye4Art said:
    Foliagemaker still doesn't grow on larger objects the last time I played with the beta. The point cloud forms and the vines attempts to grow on the object, and then nothing. Then Daz will crash soon afterwards.
    No, but he didn't claim that as an update in this beta version, either.
  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,527

I bought this when it came out as something that seemed like it would be a useful tool to have down the line, but now I need to use it, I'm getting absolutely nowhere.

Most items I try to use it on, it fails to generate anything more than a tiny stub of growth at the generation node, and there's nothing I can find in the documentation about trouble shooting this.

For example, I want to try creating overgrowth on https://www.daz3d.com/after-the-war to give the sense of how long ago said war was, but it's just failing to work on anything, even if I try exporting meshes to Blender to either simplify them or make them more dense in the hopes that will have any effect.

Where do I go with this?

After the war is probably too big (overall scale). Try reducing the scale before you try to grow on it. Also be sure you have the growth start point adjacent to some geometry of the item you want to grow in. I suggest that you take some time to go through this thread. A lot of issues have already been discussed and solved or worked around.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,527

Scaling the buildings down to 25% and telling it to generate finer foliage did work, although to build on the ground plane/bridge, I still had to pull that into Blender and make a pruned version of it I could grow on:

Gallery Link

(I know the Fallout aesthetic is generally everything dead, but I'm instead going for the "nature overtaking everything" look of places like Pripyat).