[Beta Update] FoliageMaker plugin (1.1 beta available)

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,173
    edited October 2023

Finally manage to grow foliage with custom FoliageRoot.

It is very picky about its placement, but after some attempts, it worked.

infiniCove01sc08pic02.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 476K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 749

Beautiful work.

Thank you very much, @AnEye4Art.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,492

Artini said:

Finally manage to grow foliage with custom FoliageRoot.

It is very picky about its placement, but after some attempts, it worked.

That's a nice one. I really like the lighting and the emissive foliage looks great.

edited October 2023

This is Thicket for G8M with ivy and cherry Foliage Maker.

Thicket Man Arms Up Foliage Maker Cherry_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on

@barbult : Thanks a lot for the comments.

Your image looks nice.

More experiments with FoliageMaker...

It's fun to just play with it and see what comes out.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 749

Fun image: All hail king Ready-Killa-Watt, the brightest bulb in the kingdom!

Thanks a lot for the comments.

I like to play with https://www.daz3d.com/light-bob

because it can be posed and it takes a little of resources on my computer.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,221
    edited October 2023

I finally had the time to play with this last evening. I spent most of the time just playing with the various parameters on some basic primitives, but finally made a couple of pictures.

First is just a simple growth up a squashed cone and a plane on either side of the English Pub door:

Second I thought I'd spruce up the old Garden of Galahad with Iray shaders to replace the (frankly flat-looking) grass and hedges and wind some foliage around the statues. It's a big single-object thing, so I actually exported to Blender, removed all but the statues, imported as obj to grow the foliage up then hid the Blender object. I used a syringa sprig from Lilac Chill Out instanced on one set of FM branches on each pillar.

FoliageMaker-EnglishVillagePub.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 682K
    FoliageMaker-Galahad.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 712K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
    They both look nice. I particularly like your red rose bush made on the cone. I'm looking forward to a future update that will hopefully allow us to grow foliage on less than the whole object. Your Blender workaround looks successful.
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,221

Thank you.

I was working on another rose bush and managed to get the roses mostly at the top, but I can't remember exactly what I did (and don't have a picture) because I managed to freeze DS and had to cancel through Task Manager. I don't think the freeze was anything to do with FoliageMaker, it was just me doing something stupid/impatient. Anyway I lost what I was working on. I hope to have time to try some more later today.

I look forward to that future update too!

• MartialMartial Posts: 410

Allo

Wnen i select cuustom why i receive a message indicating these files are missing:
    /data/Alessandro_AM/Foliage Maker/FoliageRoot/iFoliageRoot_271455.dsf
    /data/Alessandro_AM/Foliage Maker/FoliageRoot/UV Sets/Alessandro_AM/Base/default.dsf

and how can i select the roses  (i have installed AM Foliage Maker Rose in prop folder)

thanks

Martial said:

Allo

Wnen i select cuustom why i receive a message indicating these files are missing:
    /data/Alessandro_AM/Foliage Maker/FoliageRoot/UV Sets/Alessandro_AM/Base/default.dsf

and how can i select the roses  (i have installed AM Foliage Maker Rose in prop folder)

thanks

Regarding the missing files: Did you install both the plugin package and the content package? Your missing files are in The FoliageMaker Studio Content package. You should see it in DIM. Install it.

Regarding the roses: You select the rose prop as the instance object for FoliageMaker. I posted a DIM package earlier in the thread to install the rose and rose materials, if you want to download and install that.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,843

Am I doing something wrong? Whatever I try the plugin won't grow the foliage beyond a radius of about two metres.

edited October 2023

Further exploring posable figures with FoliageMaker.

This time: https://www.daz3d.com/metal-golem

MetalGolem01sc05pic01.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 493K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,359

Ascania said:

Am I doing something wrong? Whatever I try the plugin won't grow the foliage beyond a radius of about two metres.

Try increasing the iterations parameter from its default, 100, to something higher, if you haven't done this already.  There is a fair bit of experimentation required to discover the optimum set of parameters to do what the user wishes. 

Cheers,

Alex. 

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,138

alexhcowley said:

Ascania said:

Try increasing the iterations parameter from its default, 100, to something higher, if you haven't done this already.  There is a fair bit of experimentation required to discover the optimum set of parameters to do what the user wishes. 

Cheers,

Alex. 

Also... as mentioned a few times...try shrinking your item and making it smaller... then grow the vines... then resize larger once the vines are to your liking :)  It works great!

alexhcowley said:

Cheers,

Alex. 

Tried that. Didn't help.

Llola Lane said:

Also... as mentioned a few times...try shrinking your item and making it smaller... then grow the vines... then resize larger once the vines are to your liking :)  It works great!

That's that I'm currently doing. Unfortunately one of the side effect of that method is that the vines are not as skinny as I want them to be when upscaled.

•  

Llola Lane said:

That's that I'm currently doing. Unfortunately one of the side effect of that method is that the vines are not as skinny as I want them to be when upscaled.

What if you reduce the twig radius setting to 0.1 (the minimum)? Does it help?

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,138
    edited October 2023

Alessandro Mastronardi said:

Llola Lane said:

You can also make the leaves smaller... gotta find a happy medium doing it this way... but yes... reducing the twig radius helped me too... but then again it depends on how big you want to resize it back up.  Please share your results once you get it working Ascania... I'd love to see what you made :)

Post edited by Llola Lane on
    edited October 2023

Thanks, that works. I tried it on the surface distance and it jumped back to 1.00, so I didn't go further.

But in a related question, I was trying to have the foliage grow inside a pot and spill over the edge but it just grows through the mesh. Is there something I can do about that or is it a limitation of the plugin?

Post edited by Ascania on
  • Ascania said:

Thanks, that works. I tried it on the surface distance and it jumped back to 1.00, so I didn't go further.

But in a related question, I was trying to have the foliage grow inside a pot and spill over the edge but it just grows through the mesh. Is there something I can do about that or is it a limitation of the plugin?

It isn't made (yet) to build geometry on inner surfaces. But one trick could be to have a smaller pot (that fits inside the larger one) and grow foliage on that. Then of course you would hide the smaller pot at render (since it serves just as a mesh to grow foliage) and that would leave you with the larger pot and the foliage inside.

• BTW, I see lot of great images and projects done with FoliageMaker. Thanks a lot for using it and showing your experiences. Update 1.1 with immediate fixes for instancing should be released pretty soon.

• Martial said:

Allo

thanks

Hi, did you manage to fix it? Barbuit hint should be the solution but if you have still troubles you can also email me.

• Alessandro Mastronardi said:

BTW, I see lot of great images and projects done with FoliageMaker. Thanks a lot for using it and showing your experiences. Update 1.1 with immediate fixes for instancing should be released pretty soon.

Thank you, looking forward to that.

So, 1.2 building geometry on inner surfaces?

• DoctorJellybean said:

BTW, I see lot of great images and projects done with FoliageMaker. Thanks a lot for using it and showing your experiences. Update 1.1 with immediate fixes for instancing should be released pretty soon.

Thank you, looking forward to that.

So, 1.2 building geometry on inner surfaces?

Yes and not only that, also presets load/save, fixes for larger geometries and more features.

• MartialMartial Posts: 410
    edited October 2023

Thanks for reply  The missing files are there now but the roses are installed but not used by the plugin Idem always the same foliage when i use it I cannot chose in AM props

Martial said:

Allo

thanks

Hi, did you manage to fix it? Barbuit hint should be the solution but if you have still troubles you can also email me.

Screen Shot 10-16-23 at 09.53 AM.JPG
    2532 x 1331 - 2M
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited October 2023

@Martial I see you have the rose installed. It is in the AM Foliage Maker Rose product right below the FoliageMaker product you have highlighted in your screenshot. You need to load the rose into your scene and then select it as the object to be instanced in the FoliageMaker plugin. It is demonstrated in the controls overview video that is on the FoliageMaker product page in the store. Here is a link to the section of the video that explains the process (chapter Instancing at 17:30). The whole video is helpful. The video is also linked in the FoliageMaker Manual.

Post edited by barbult on