[Beta Update] FoliageMaker plugin (1.1 beta available)

Comments

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,583

Alessandro Mastronardi said:

tsroemi said:

tsroemi said:

I'm being absolutely daft right now: I can't seem to reduce the iterations created to less than 100 --- ? The foliage itself went alright, and then I wanted to add some roses, but there were way too many of them. So I tried to reduce iterations to 20, but that never gets saved somehow, neither in automatic nor custom mode. It must be something really obvious I'm doing wrong, but I don't see it. Can anybody help me out? Thanks heart

Edit: Just re-read the manual, I think iterations is just the wrong value, and I need to tweak the foliage/instance density instead. Will try that instead. Sorry for being such an ejit!

Edit2: Ermmm, no, that's not it. I cannot turn down this value either. So, how does one actually reduce the number of instances created? Like, if I want only a few roses instead of a mass of them?

If you feel like you messed with the values you can reset those to default settings, there is a button in the panel to do that. Minimum iterations are indeed set at 100, less than those would lead to a very poor growth in most cases. To reduce foliage density, try to set a high growth bias: that will concentrate leaves especially on secondary twigs. And of course set foliage density to a minimum.

Hi, thanks for helping! I will try with the bias. I cannot reduce foliage density beyond its default value though (I think it's 1), is that right?

No, it can't be decreased below 1, but I'll see if I can change that in next update.

Great, thank you so much! 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,492
    edited October 2023

I changed the texture of the vines to closely mimic the tendrils on the carnivorous plant. Poor G8M is tightly bound.

G8M Tied Up Carnivorous Plant_Perspective view.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • barbult said:

I changed the texture of the vines to closely mimic the tendrils on the carnivorous plant. Poor G8M is tightly bound.

Beautiful image and composition!

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 749
    edited October 2023
    I'll be the one to ask: any idea when the update might be available? No rush, just asking for a friend.
    Post edited by AnEye4Art on
  • AnEye4Art said:

I'll be the one to ask: any idea when the update might be available? No rush, just asking for a friend.

Probably it will take another 2,3 weeks: besides the fixes and improvements I have a couple of features that I'd like to add. Cheers.

edited October 2023
    Awesome. I figured with all the new improvements, it's almost like doing a new plug-in, which I don't mind paying extra for.
    Post edited by AnEye4Art on
  • AnEye4Art said:

Awesome. I figured with all the new improvements, it's almost like doing a new plug-in, which I don't mind paying extra for.

thanks but no worries: until a new major release comes out there will be no need to pay any extra.

edited October 2023

This was a happy accident. I set out to make a floral vine on an arbor. For variety, I selected a hair flower prop. The prop loaded at a position where a character's head would be, not at world origin. I'm guessing that is what led to my beautiful flower explosion.

Arbor Flower Explosion.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 4M
    edited October 2023

This is what I had in mind. (I modified the hair flower to change its origin). I have two Foliage Maker vines here, one with leaves and the other with flowers.

Arbor Flowers.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 4M

It appears that Foliage Maker crashes Daz Studio instantly if I try to build foliage on a figure with geografts. Has this been reported? I don't remember.

• barbult said:

It appears that Foliage Maker crashes Daz Studio instantly if I try to build foliage on a figure with geografts. Has this been reported? I don't remember.

I don't recall this being mentioned before.

• barbult said:

I tried on Lahr, both the main figure and also on the graft and it appears to work. What happens for you?

sshot-30.jpg
    2407 x 1784 - 315K
    edited October 2023
    I am running DS 4.21.1.80 public build. I tried a G9 with legacy UV geografts twice and Jawsome once. I was using custom mode foliage maker. In all cases, DS immediately reported a fatal error and said it must close. I don't own Lahr. I had the foliage root placed near the character's foot. I did not try to grow foliage on the grafts themselves. I can try again later today.
  • barbult said:

I am running DS 4.21.1.80 public build. I tried a G9 with legacy UV geografts twice and Jawsome once. I was using custom mode foliage maker. In all cases, DS immediately reported a fatal error and said it must close. I don't own Lahr. I had the foliage root placed near the character's foot. I did not try to grow foliage on the grafts themselves. I can try again later today.

Ok when you try again and it crashes, there is a log file in your Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\foliageMakerAM ; it's called foliageMakerLogFile.txt and if you can email it to me, that might help me understand what's going on. Thank you.

barbult said:

Ok when you try again and it crashes, there is a log file in your Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\foliageMakerAM ; it's called foliageMakerLogFile.txt and if you can email it to me, that might help me understand what's going on. Thank you.

I just sent you an email with a log from a success without geografts and a log after a crash with geografts.

• barbult said:

barbult said:

I just sent you an email with a log from a success without geografts and a log after a crash with geografts.

Thank you.

• Ok, found the issue when using some geografts: an incorrect lookup of material indices. Will add the fix to the 1.1 update.

Ok, found the issue when using some geografts: an incorrect lookup of material indices. Will add the fix to the 1.1 update.

Thanks for confirming the issue and finding a fix already.yes

edited October 2023

Here's my latest experiment. I maxed out all of the Foliage Maker settings except the leaf size. I scaled a large tree down to 25% and built the foliage on it. Then I hid the tree and left only the Foliage Maker results. It made an interesting bush. I applied the original tree trunk shader to the FM_root and FM_caps. In this render, I added another 100% scale tree to the scene.

TWDE Tree to FM Bush_002_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    Foliage Maker maxed out settings except foliage size.jpg
    300 x 989 - 51K
  • Interesting bush indeed smiley

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,173

Nice bush and interesting idea to not scale up foliage.

edited October 2023

Experimenting with emissive shaders.

I like very much the results.

Pillow02pic12.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on

Artini said:

Experimenting with emissive shaders.

I like very much the results.

Interesting. I haven't tried anything emissive.

edited October 2023

Another trial with emissive shaders and custom FoliageRoot.

How to place custom FoliageRoot to have any effect on placement of the foliage?

It is a pretty big gizmo and I do not know, if its center is important

or the end of the arrows.

SummerDress01pic11.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 225K
    Post edited by Artini on

Cool stuff, Artini.

edited October 2023

Thanks a lot for the comments, @AnEye4Art and @barbult.

Post edited by Artini on
  • Artini said:

Another trial with emissive shaders and custom FoliageRoot.

How to place custom FoliageRoot to have any effect on placement of the foliage?

It is a pretty big gizmo and I do not know, if its center is important

or the end of the arrows.

Theoretically the center of the FoliageRoot gizmo is where the growth actually starts (so not the arrows).

cheers 

I have tried to move FoliageRoot gizmo on different objects: rocks, columns and figures props

and could not see any difference on where the growth starts, so I think I skip it for the moment.

I just could not figure it out and how to proceed with it to make it work.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

Artini I don't know how to help you because I don't know how you have your scene set up but here is a quick example  screenshots with a primitive plane one with the Root at default bottom the other with it in the middle.  I am sure that certain objects its possible to not tell where the growth specially if the growth spans the whole object.

Untitled-1.jpg
    861 x 861 - 432K
    Untitled-2.jpg
    858 x 858 - 690K

Thanks for the examples, @Daventaki.

I have not tried growing foliage on the plane, yet.