GenX2 Update / Genesis 3 Add-On [Commercial]

Comments

• wargiswargis Posts: 142

Thanks for explanation, Dimension 3D, I found that in the most of cases Fast mode works better for rather sharpened partial morphs like facial features (when transferring from G1-G2 to Genesis 3) and Smooth mode gives better results for smoothed body parts like breasts and whole torso FBMs. And there is a way to reproduce the exact shape of the character if one transfer the FBM of the desired character  via GenX and then dial the hidden clone of Genesis or Genesis 2 to 100%. Then Genesis 3 takes exactly the same shape as the original figure and this combined morph can be exported as OBJ and re-imported via Morph Loader. The only problem can appear with lips (they became parted) and sometimes with eyes. But it can be fixed with Fix morphs and pose controls. The same is true for splitted body and head morphs too, but in that case one have to extract the separate body clone from the whole GenX clone to dial it independently (for instance, for Genesis 2 Female you find 2 GenX clones - for whole G2F and for her head. Dial the whole G2F to 100% and her head to minus 100% and you'll get G2F's body with G3F's head. Make it a separate morph and you can make separate exact copies of any head and  body morphs for G2F). The same technique is true for Gen 4 (V4, M4). But the rigging must be always adjusted to shape with ERC freezing after creating such morphs, because the postion of arms and feet is copied from the original figure. Maybe this will come handy to anyone who wants to get better transfer results for favourite characters.

As for partial morphs in general, I have one question about categorizing them in the Parameters tab (not related to GenX, but maybe some people here know how to fix this issue). After transferring a lot of old partial morphs from Genesis 2 to Genesis 3, I have got to recategorize them all and I created many custom categories instead of built-in Genesis 3 categories, but found that some morphs don't want to  go into necessary property group. For instance, I broke Eyes property group to Eyelids, Eye Shapes and General morph groups and want to put several eyelid morphs into Eyelids, and other ones into General but after saving them as modified assets and reloading Genesis 3 I find half of these morphs listed under Morphs property group. That is my changes for property group are not recorded within these particular morphs at all, and they are dropped out of categories. How to change the property group for any morph forever in DAZ Studio? I found my detailed tree of categories more handy, than the original structure but  these naughty morphs are rather frustrating. I found this issue occurs more often with newer native Genesis 3 morphs than with transferred ones.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I just thought I'd post my latest GenX render.  I finally managed to get everything installed where it needed to go to get this working in DS on my Linux distro.  I'm so glad to not have to go into Windows every time I want to use this now.  My first render using GenX to move from M4 up to Genesis in Linux.

Need some help again. I have a problem when transferring morphs from G3F (Female) to Genesis 3 Male. When I pick G3M as my source and G3F as the target and try to transfer several morphs, I get the error message like this - 

Loading target figure ...

Loading figure ...

C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 3/Female/Genesis3Female.dsf

Creating clone morph ...

Error creating morph from clone.

I tried to check Prefer Clone Shape and to uncheck it, but it had no influence, But I can transfer from G2M to G3M and from G2F to G3F. As I know, GenX3 addon is able to make straight transfer between male and female versions of Genesis 3, why doesn't it work and how to fix it? I even created a clone of G3M for Genesis 3 Female (natively she doesn;t have it) and placed it in DAZ3D clones folder, but it doesn't help me. What is the matter?

• Dimension3DDimension3D Posts: 464

Unlike G2F and G2M, G3F and G3M are not morph compatible, so morph transfer between G3F and G3M is just like any other morph transfer.

The error message indicates that the clone morph is missing or can't be read for some reason. Be sure that G3F and G3M are installed correctly and are up to date. They contain all clone morphs that are required by GenX.

In this case, the missing or corrupted file is:

...\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Male\Morphs\DAZ 3D\Clones\CloneGenesis3Female.dsf

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992

I've been migrating some of my favorite V4 morphs to Genesis and then to Genesis 2 Female (and hopefully to G3F, too).  When I just loaded G2F to check progress, I noticed there's a Victoria 4 and a Victoria 4 (Shape).  When I dial either one in on G2F, they look just the same.

There are two folders Victoria 4 and Victoria 4 (Shape) because you used the according transfer target shapes. The shape defines which base morph you want to use to turn the target figure into the shape of the source. In general, the differences between transfer targets are rather subtle, because each base morph comes close to the original figure. However, there can be important differences in some regions, mainly the hand and feet. Try transferring nail length morphs and you will see, that they only work if you combine the correct base morph and target shape selection. But for many body or head morphs, the differences will be too subtle to be visible.

"The error message indicates that the clone morph is missing or can't be read for some reason. Be sure that G3F and G3M are installed correctly and are up to date. They contain all clone morphs that are required by GenX.

In this case, the missing or corrupted file is:

...\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Male\Morphs\DAZ 3D\Clones\CloneGenesis3Female.dsf"

Thank you once more, Dimension3D, I checked both Genesis 3 figures and found that my installation package of Genesis 3 Female was rather old and I missed the original clone of G3M for her.

This file namely - C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Female\Morphs\DAZ 3D\Base\CloneGenesis3Male.dsf.

I thought that the clone of G3M should be in Clones, but GenX searches it in the Base folder. When I updated the G3F, all began to work properly. However, it's strange they put the clone file not in Clones.

• MortzeMortze Posts: 184

Hello,

I'm experiencing some issues with the GenX2 - I think - when I use it to migrate a V4 character to Genesis 3 figure. I always finish with a Genesis 3 figure that has domw weird hand issues, like the fingers don't bend like they should, and the hand doesn't pose well when I apply a product pose. Has someone experienced something similar?

Here is the thread I started about the issue, with some pics to show it, until someone directed me here. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/155926/what-s-wrong-with-genesis-3-hands#latest

Thank you

This happens if the clone morph doesn't adjust the joints to the clone shape. Turn on the joint editor in DS to see if the joints are following the shape of the clone morph or not.

This happens if the clone morph doesn't adjust the joints to the clone shape. Turn on the joint editor in DS to see if the joints are following the shape of the clone morph or not.

Not sure. What do you think?

hand1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 296K
    hand2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 312K

This looks correct. If the joints would not be adjusted, the bones would be outside of the hand and hence cause far more severe distortions.

Because the hands of Genesis 3 are straight, but the hands of V4 are bent in the unposed position, hand poses for Genesis 3 will no longer work well when applying the V4 Clone. The morph will always add the additional bending. Also, the rotation for the joint adjustment is calculated, so it may not be perfect for all hand poses. (You can try to improve it with the joint editor.) I'm not sure, if this fully explains your problem, it looks a bit more extreme then it should be and what I get for the V4 Clone on G3F. You can also turn off the rotation limitations for the 2nd and 3rd part of the fingers and rotate those parts to fix it.

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 988
    edited March 2017

If I remember correctly, V4 has a relaxed hand by default, whereas the Genesis figures have straight fingers by default, which would explain why there might be some issues when applying pre-made poses to the hands when converting a V4 character over.

I don't know if this'll work, but you could try loading V4 with the character into the viewport and straightening the fingers out first (try and make them match G3F's default hand pose as closely as possible), and then use GenX to directly convert the loaded V4 with all modifications. I wouldn't know as I haven't tried this myself.

EDIT: Just checked, and this wouldn't work. GenX doesn't seem to have any option to retain a figure's pose when using a figure that's loaded into the viewport.

Post edited by TheNathanParable on

My models are V4 characters which morphs I use in GenX2. I then use the created clone morph into the Genesis 3 figure. I never upload any V4 figure into the scene during the process TheNathanParable.

Dimension3D, I'll first have to learn how to use the joint editor tool :) I'm not sure we can do anything else than Bend with the 2nd and 3rd part ot Genesis 3 fingers. Can we? 

If you change the parameter limits and/or lock, you can rotate any bone in any direction as much as you like. Of course, all rotation parameters but bend are hidden and locked for the 2nd and 3rd finger part. But this can be changed in the parameters setting. (Activate "Show Hidden Properties" in the tab menu, then click on the cog symbol for the menu of the parameter.)

When the joint editor is active, you can change the orientation settings in the tool settings tab. Do this while the hand is posed to see how it affects the bending.

OK - this is on the  "stupid question' front... but if I totally muck up the transfer, is there an easy way to start over without reinstalling the base character (which would involve reinstalling something like 10 years worth of morphs packs).  Maybe like deleting everything from the D3D Gen X folder in the data folder?  (for the appropriate character of course, e.g. \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\Morphs\D3D Gen X).  I also have Morph Organizer if that helps.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

ummm you could save the "fully loaded base figure" as a scene subset then you don't have to reload all of the morph packs ,then you could just pull it back up if things go south with the version you are working on .

edited March 2017

I actually moved some bad Stephanie 5 morphs over to my temp directory and then reloaded G2F and she was fine.  But attacking the whole folder makes me nervous. 

carrie58, I'm not sure how that would work.  Does it save how the character is loaded when you save it as a scene?  It seems to me that I've had problems in the past with a saved scene that can't find its parts and an error message pops up.

Post edited by sandmanmax on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

So far I've not had any problems saving a figure as a scene subset ,not just a saved scene ,it saves the whole character /figure .So if I save a V4 figure that has all it's morphs loaded, that what I get when I bring the subset back up a fully loaded V4

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,017

OK - this is on the  "stupid question' front... but if I totally muck up the transfer, is there an easy way to start over without reinstalling the base character (which would involve reinstalling something like 10 years worth of morphs packs).  Maybe like deleting everything from the D3D Gen X folder in the data folder?  (for the appropriate character of course, e.g. \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\Morphs\D3D Gen X).  I also have Morph Organizer if that helps.

I've deleted GenX created morphs that I didn't want anymore. No problem. You should be good. You'd only have a problem it you reloaded an old scene that used those deleted morphs, I think.

• xmasrosexmasrose Posts: 1,403

I need you input.

I transferred (with GenX2) with no problem Elijah7's head to G3F as well as George but when I transfer Lucian7's head the morph doesn't do anything.

I used the same method than with Elijah7. What am I missing?

I need you input.

I transferred (with GenX2) with no problem Elijah7's head to G3F as well as George but when I transfer Lucian7's head the morph doesn't do anything.

I used the same method than with Elijah7. What am I missing?

I transferred both Elijah and George, but I don't own Lucien, so I don't know.

barbult said:

I've deleted GenX created morphs that I didn't want anymore. No problem. You should be good. You'd only have a problem it you reloaded an old scene that used those deleted morphs, I think.

Doesn't GenX have a built in morph manager? If you open up the GenX window in Daz Studio, one of the tabs allows you to see all morphs you've converted over and disable/re-enable them (or straight up delete them). I've used it before to easily find and remove some morphs that didn't work out.

barbult said:

Doesn't GenX have a built in morph manager? If you open up the GenX window in Daz Studio, one of the tabs allows you to see all morphs you've converted over and disable/re-enable them (or straight up delete them). I've used it before to easily find and remove some morphs that didn't work out.

Oh my goodness! I've never looked at that tab. I didn't even know it was there. On my workspace color scheme it is pale gray on mid gray, almost invisible. Thanks!

Jeesh!!  Me neither!  Now I really need to read the PDF help file to really learn the tool.

I'm struggling with some of the overall process, not the details.  I can transfer no problem, just making it meaningful once it gets there. For instance,  I'm trying to move my favorite Victoria 4 characters over to G2F and G3F.  A lot of them are just Morphs++ settings.  Is it better to save those characters as a complete morph or to export all Morph++ components individually and then transfer the character as it was originally created?  In my mind, the disadvantage of creating a complete face morph is that you can only dial in a % of that character.  Kind of like the built faces in Morphs++ (e.g. Becky, Samantha) .  The disadvantage of transferring the complete Morphs++ package is that there are a lot of components and I'm sure a bunch are already in the Genesis bases.  Any suggestions?

I decided to tiptoe into this a bit and converted one V4 character to G3F.  It also created a V4 clone, which doesn't look much like V4.  The Victoria 4 shape that's in G2F is much better.  But that was purchased content and there doesn't appear to be a V4 Clone for sale. 

I transferred the one from G2F to G3F and she's much better than the clone that was created.  The other interesting thing I discovered, was that apparently the character I saved has V4 aready "dialed in".  When I turned off the Vicky 4 clone in G3F, the character looks much closer to the original.  I saved her as a Single Morph.  Is that how it's supposed to work?

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

I've been doing some Genesis to G2 conversions and had something weird happen.

Twice, my smart content pannel got messed up...seeming to just show one of the figures that I had converted (this might be coincidence, though...as it happened also after a re-import of meta data, and restart of Daz and then coversion of a completely different character).

Anyone else seen this behavior?

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,800
    edited March 2017

I'm in the process of reinstalling everything from scratch on my new PC, and for some reason, Genesis isn't showing up in the roster of source figures even with all my add-ons installed...

Untitled.png
    1600 x 900 - 147K
    Post edited by RCDeschene on

Scavenger: I have no idea how Smart Content works. But GenX is doing nothing but creating one or several new morph files in the Morphs folder for a figure. If this confuses Smart Content, I guess it's a problem of Smart Content, not GenX.

RCDeschene: How did you install Genesis? Manually, DIM, or Connect? The same way as Genesis 2 and 3? In either case, GenX should find it, if it is either in the Connect folder or in one of the content folders known to Content Directory Manager.

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131
    edited April 2017

What about going backward from G3F and G3M to G2F and G2M, is that possible?

If I wanted to transfer George to G2M, would this allow me to do it? Shape and Skin? Or is this only for that shape?

Post edited by FrankTheTank on
  • xmasrosexmasrose Posts: 1,403

Yes you can do the morphs from G3 to G2 but not the skin with GenX2.