GenX2 Update / Genesis 3 Add-On [Commercial]

Comments

• When you open the context menu of the morph list, there are options for "show in list" where you can check and uncheck which morphs to show in the list.

For the "Selected Morphs" mode, it is more convenient to have less morphs shown, because the hidden ones are usually not used directly, but controlled by other dials. But for the "Create Single Morph" mode, it is more safe to have everything listed, just in case some of those morphs are used.

• I happened to see @unknownmystery445's thread in the Commons about his trouble with GenX.  All of the issues were already solved by the time I read it for the most part.  It inspired me to spend yesterday doing transferring Angel for V4 up thru the generations, though.  I admit I go a little overboard at times when starting an experiment.  Just thought I'd share.  I love GenX.  The only post is adding in the labels.  Otherwise, it's a straight out of the box render of Angel for V4 with all of the morphs and skins transferred onto each generation.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

I happened to see @unknownmystery445's thread in the Commons about his trouble with GenX.  All of the issues were already solved by the time I read it for the most part.  It inspired me to spend yesterday doing transferring Angel for V4 up thru the generations, though.  I admit I go a little overboard at times when starting an experiment.  Just thought I'd share.  I love GenX.  The only post is adding in the labels.  Otherwise, it's a straight out of the box render of Angel for V4 with all of the morphs and skins transferred onto each generation.

Thanks. Can you dial in all the V4 morphs in G3F?

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Do you have moved some of the clone morphs? GenX assumes that where it finds the main Genesis geometry DSF, it will also find the according clone morphs. Unlike for other morphs, it doesn't scan all libraries when looking for clone morphs.

When transferring morphs from G2F to G3F, the files in question are:

- ...\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Female\Genesis3Female.dsf

- ...\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Female\Morphs\DAZ 3D\Clones\CloneGenesis2Female.dsf

Please ensure that both files are in the same library, and that there are no duplicates in other libraries.

Is the problem for all morph transfers from G2F to G3F, or only for this particular morph. If it is for all, try deleting the file "GCF_Genesis2Female.dsf" from the Genesis 3 morphs under "D3D Gen X". Maybe the adjusted clone is corrupt somehow.

I tried deleting these. I also found these files named "gcf_genesis2female.dsf.disabled" and deleted those thinking they must have been an issue. I was able to successfully transfer a G3M figure to G3F with the "get values from figure in scene" option. However, when I tried this same technique with a G2F to G3F, it did not work. I get the same "some morphs have a zero value warning". Its like Genesis 2 does not exist.

I really don't understand the search feature. How does that work for a figure that has a lot of different morphs? Do I need to go and locate every morph i used and check the box? Because I have like 20, 30, 40 different morphs on some of these figures, and some are ones I created in Hexagon. Which box? And how does GenX know what values to use if I used, you know, 30% or something?

Even if I do a search, and find a morph to use, it still fails. I checked a G2F body morph that I created and clicked transfer all non zero values. Once again I got the zero value warning I got above, and I continued. The resulting morph has no effect whatsoever on the G3 model.

I am so lost as to why it doesn't work. Do I need to do anything to uninstall and try again? Will I lose any conversions that worked? (I have a few V/M4 conversions.)

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,141

Can this be used in 32 bit version of daz studio?  Can I transfer V4 or A3 morphs to genesis 3 and uninstall v4 or a3 and still use the morphs.  The computer i am using has small hdd.

• Guys.. I've tried and tried. Every generation. Every GenX setting. Show hidden morphs etc.. Finally I fixed the popping out eyes buy creating a GenX preset with the Angel head Inj.

The only thing to fix is the teeth with doesn't get fixed with the preset for some reason.

Does anyone have an explanation as to why this particular model is so troublesome? Also any advice to fix the teeth

Thanks

Angel Teeth.PNG
    759 x 895 - 182K
  • outrider42:
    - Right, when you disable gcf_genesis2female.dsf in the Morphs tab of GenX, transfers will no longer work, because the morph exists (so it's not created), but it is disabled (so it can't be used).
    - The "some morphs ..." message is just a warning that you selected morphs for transfer in "Create single morph" mode, which will be ignored, because they have a zero value.
    - The easiest way to include all relevant morphs for "Create single morph" is to use "Select > Transfer: on for all non-zero values". This ensures that every morph used for a character is selected for transfer. The "Value" column show the morph value, so a morph at 30% has a value of 0.3 and will be considered to that amount.
    - If you want to transfer an individual morph, use the "Selected morphs" mode, not the "Create single morph" mode. The latter mode merges all selected morphs into one based on the value in the "Value" column. The first mode transfers each selected morph separately as it is, without using the morph value.
    - Reinstalling is very unlikely to fix any problems, except maybe for morphs and figures where you did some (wrong) manually editing. Uninstalling GenX will not remove any transferred morphs.

Miss Bad Wolf: Yes, and yes. The GenX plugin has versions for 32bit and 64bit versions of DAZ Studio. All transferred morphs are morphs like any other, they don't depend on the original morphs or figures. So, you can remove the original figures and morphs from your HD after transferring the morphs.

johntcurran28: Sorry, I don't own that figure, so I can't try myself. I hope someone who successfully transferred the figure may be of help. Two things in general: First, always dial in the V4 base morph in Genesis, because it adjusts the rigging. Second, misplaced eyes or teeth usually result from direct transformations (rotate, translate, scale) in the original injection pose, which GenX doesn't transfer. If anything else fails, you can still change these parameters in Genesis directly to fix the issue. In your case, just move lowerJaw backwards.

• Dimension3D - Thanks! I appreciate the help.

One more thing, Is there any way to remove the history from the source menu? More of an OCD thing than anything else.

Thanks

• I've had this for awhile now and I'm finally trying to sort it out. But I don't seem to be having much luck. The PDF doesn't really follow the current interface, not exactly. But regardless, as I try to fumble my way through I think I'm supposed to load a figure first, then load the morphs, then transfer to another figure as best I can determine. The problem I'm running into, apart from a general incomprehension is that GenX (I have all the addons + GenX 2) seems to only want to load Poser figure files (cr2 or crz) and when I try to load a duf it tells me it is not a valid figure. I'd like a little direction. The first figure I was trying to transfer was VHP Limei from R, which is an injection to Genesis. AFAIK I'm to load Genesis, then do the injection, then transfer to G3 I suppose. Then I could always try to use Blacksmith to transfer her UVs. But I thought the morphs would be a good place to start, except that I can't seem to get any traction. 

• I've run into an issue when a custom character I made for G2F. It's in the Morphs section of the sliders for the G2F character when loaded into a scene. It shows in the morphs as an option when I look at the Morphs tab. However, I can't seem to get the morph over. It's not like an INJ, so I can't drag it into the GenX2 window like I do for V4 characters. I load the G2F source, but I can't find where I can tell the custom morph to be 100% so that it will transfer to G3F.

• johntcurran28: You can edit the "recent" section in the GenX.ini file in the DAZ 3D/Studio4/GenX2 configuration folder.

Dareshiranu: You load Genesis figures directly from the Source button, not from the library. For Genesis figures, there are no injections, all installed morphs are loaded immediately.

MacSavers: For Genesis figures, all morphs are loaded when you load the figure. To transfer one or several individual morphs, use the "Selected morphs" mode (which transfers the selected morphs separately, each at 100%).

• I happened to see @unknownmystery445's thread in the Commons about his trouble with GenX.  All of the issues were already solved by the time I read it for the most part.  It inspired me to spend yesterday doing transferring Angel for V4 up thru the generations, though.  I admit I go a little overboard at times when starting an experiment.  Just thought I'd share.  I love GenX.  The only post is adding in the labels.  Otherwise, it's a straight out of the box render of Angel for V4 with all of the morphs and skins transferred onto each generation.

Thanks. Can you dial in all the V4 morphs in G3F?

@nonesuch00  I think I would need to transfer the head and body morphs.  I know when I transferred the 200 Plus - Head & Body Morphs for Genesis 3 Female to G3M before the maler version of the pack came out.  That transfer went really quickly and smoothly so I would assume transferring the V4 head and body morphs would likely be fairly simple.  I'll have to test it out.  So far, I've only tranferred whole characters from V4/M4 to G3.

Guys.. I've tried and tried. Every generation. Every GenX setting. Show hidden morphs etc.. Finally I fixed the popping out eyes buy creating a GenX preset with the Angel head Inj.

The only thing to fix is the teeth with doesn't get fixed with the preset for some reason.

Does anyone have an explanation as to why this particular model is so troublesome? Also any advice to fix the teeth

Thanks

@johntcurran28  I think it has to do with your settings and what you have selected for transfer.  One reason why I did Angel in my above post with all the Angels is that I was trying to duplicate that problem as it is the same one that another person was having which triggered my experiment.  However, I wasn't able to duplicate those issues at all.  I took screenshots of my process for transferring the Angel figure and I should be done adding all of the text later this week.  If you are still having issues, it might be worth a look.  I'll post a link when I have it uploaded.

In the meantime, maybe a screenshot of the options and morphs you have selected for transfer might be of help to out the problem.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Thanks KnittingMommy

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited February 2017

Dareshiranu: You load Genesis figures directly from the Source button, not from the library. For Genesis figures, there are no injections, all installed morphs are loaded immediately.

MacSavers: For Genesis figures, all morphs are loaded when you load the figure. To transfer one or several individual morphs, use the "Selected morphs" mode (which transfers the selected morphs separately, each at 100%).

I haven't done this in over a year, and am getting bogged down. I want to do a Genesis 2 onto Genesis 3 (have all the products necessary) but from watching videos and reading, I'm not seeing what you're saying. I don't have a Source button, to start with. It's not under the word Transfer, as shown in videos. And I have Transfer clicked. So where is it?  Edit: I have the genesis 2 figure in the viewport and selected in Scene.

If I understand correctly, I load the base figure first (Genesis 2)  So I clicked on the avatar from characters of the Genesis 2 Female and dragged it over. Nothing happened. Without a source button, and dragging not working, how do I get this going?

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,609
    edited February 2017

Novica, when Genx loads does your window look like the one in the screenshot? I have highlighted the 'source' button.

source.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 805K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited February 2017

Nope. I have Transfer selected, then there's Find: (text box)  with Previous, Next, just like yours.

Next row: Load Figure and the Apply Pose. The Source line is completely missing.  I reinstalled everything and nada.  When I go to the Help>About Plugins, GenX is there, but no Green Plug. No grayed out plug either, there's no plug. A bunch of active things the studio uses dont have a plug either, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. But will you go to your Help>About Plugins and see if your GenX has any kind of plug showing?   EDIT: Never mind- it had drop downs- and both are GREEN PLUGS. So why don't I have what everyone else does?

Post edited by Novica on

Here's mine.

genx.jpg
    753 x 482 - 764K

Never mind, both GenX and X2 have green plugs. They were in a dropdown.

Found it. Answer was in this post.  

So what is the alternative way of getting the morphs from a figure over into Genx2? The drag and drop does NOT WORK. If it's a Generation 2 character, what files do I need and how do I get them into genx2? Yes, I'm clicking and holding the mouse down, yes, there's the plus sign, no, nothing is happening. 

• A character file in DS simply loads the standard Genesis file and sets one or several morphs. So, all you have to do in GenX is to select those morphs for transfer.

After loading Genesis 2F into GenX, you have two options:

1. Use the search feature to find the morph(s) of the character manually and select them for transfer.
    2. Load the character in the scene and use "Get values from figure in scene" and then "Transfer: on for all non-zero values".

Finally, do the transfer just like for Poser figures.

A character file in DS simply loads the standard Genesis file and sets one or several morphs. So, all you have to do in GenX is to select those morphs for transfer.

After loading Genesis 2F into GenX, you have two options:

1. Use the search feature to find the morph(s) of the character manually and select them for transfer.
    2. Load the character in the scene and use "Get values from figure in scene" and then "Transfer: on for all non-zero values".

Finally, do the transfer just like for Poser figures.

I got Genesis 2 in GenX2, but I'm not seeing the Get Values from Figure in the scene option.

edited February 2017

Aha, found it under Select.(Yes, I am reading the pdf, somehow missed that one line. Knew it had to be in there somewhere!)  Moving on! 

Post edited by Novica on
  • wargiswargis Posts: 142

Hello! Just another question about transferring HD morphs. Yes, I know that DAZ Studio doesn't allow to create HD morphs for Genesis figures, but I mean not creating but transferring the existent HD character onto another base, e.g from Genesis 2 Female (like Hannah HD for V6, for instance) to Genesis 3 Female. I attempted to transfer this and other HD character morphs at resolution not higher than 1, but results were feeble, and resulting morphs come out too smooth, as it was previously noticed in this thread. But if I can recall, in the previous release of GenX, it could transfer HD morphs between compatible figures like G2F and G2M, am I right? What about G3F to G3M and backwards morph transferring for HD morphs? Can GenX be set up in any way to transfer more HD details? Which transfer settings are optimal for HD morphs?

By the way, recently I attempted to find another way without direct transferring morphs, by creating the custom hybrid figure from G2F's mesh and G3F's rigging. It can be done easily with Transfer Utility, where G3F is the donor of the rig, as usually and the mesh of G3F acts as an conformer and inherits the rig. If you subdivide the already rigged Genesis 2 via Figure - Convert SubD, this figure can receive any usual Base-Res Genesis 2 morphs via Morph Loader and obviously can receive HD morphs too (and any native materials for Genesis 2 without Legacy UVs and converting, if you keep original surfaces in the OBJ).  And she (or he) can be posed with any Genesis 3 poses, although they lack automatic applying JCMs, and Pose Controls are not transferred (I don't know how to make it yet).  In short, it's a very rough idea and I didn't work it out fully yet, but I think someone can find it helpful.  (I remember there was an option in Transfer Utility to transfer any morphs and even expressions to the dependent mesh, but I don't remember which namely).

GenX can transfer pose controls and expressions too, but only between G2F and G3F and as morphs (shapes), not as bone controllers.  May it transfer clean pose controllers as facial expresions, without morphing?

• G2F and G2M use the same mesh, just with a different shape. So, GenX is not really transferring morphs between those figures, it is just adjusting the morph files to be recognized by the other figure. It does not recalculate the morph (i.e. the delta values). The HD morphs can be used by the other figure without any adjustments because they are morph compatible.

G3F and G3M are not morph compatible, the mesh has a different structure in the chest area. Hence, morphs have to be transferred by recalculation, which is not possible for HD morphs, because I don't know the file format. The same holds for transfers between different generations of Genesis.

Only G3 uses bones for expressions, the other Genesis generations use morphs. Because GenX transfers morphs, it can transfer expressions from G1 and G2, but not from G3. GenX also transfers rigging adjustments, but G1 and G2 don't have the facial bones used for expressions in G3.

• wargiswargis Posts: 142

Thank you, Dimension 3D, I found that Gen X can transfer pure controllers. Another boring question - which mode of three possible options is best for transferring morphs from Genesis 2 to Genesis 3 for subtle morphs, closer to Hd morphs? GenX has three modes - Fast, Edges and Smooth and I found some info that Smooth mode is generally best for lower to higher rez figures like G1 to G2, and Fast generally best for higher to lower like V4 to G1 or G2.  I found the polygon counts for all generations -

Genesis 1: 19296 vertices, 18872 polygons,
    Genesis 2: 21556 vertices, 21098 polygons,
    Genesis 3: 17418 vertices, 17000 polygons,

That is Genesis 2 Female is denser that Genesis 3 Female and I guess, that Smooth option which was my default, doesn't go for transferring subtle and semi-HD morphs from G2 to G3. So which option is better - Fast or Edges, to keep the most of detals of the original mesh like eye wrinkles, skin folds etc? And if I want to transfer morphs from V4 to G3F, which option should I choose for better results? 

• It's not so much polygon count, but mesh density. And here all Genesis figures are similar dense, because they all are intended for subdivision. The Poser figures have about 3 to 4 times of polygons.

The smooth mode is doing subdivision for the source figure, so it is more likely to find nearby points in the target figure. However, this also smoothes the morph. For Genesis to Genesis, I would recommend smooth mode. But it also may depend on the particular morph to transfer, so it's difficult to say in general what mode gives the best result. Because the smooth mode smoothes the morph, edge may work better for morphs with visible detail, while smooth works better for overall shapes.

For transfers from Poser figures, fast or edges is usually better, because subdividing the hi-res figures will give you no benefit.

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

After I apply Victoria 4 shape to G3F, the feet behave as if wearing high heeled shoes (stands on tip toes as I dial in the Vic 4 shape). Also, G3F poses don't work well when G3F has Vic 4 shape. Is this to be expected?

Just curious if I did something wrong. To get Vic 4 shape, I just moved a single morph for Vic 4 to G3F and the shape appeared for me to use.  Perhaps I should have moved all the morphs...or maybe poses for G3F simply don't work perfectly on an older shape like Vic 4...

• When you use the V4 shape from the clone morph, you get the shape of the original V4, which has the feet angled downwards. There are alternate V4 shape morphs for Genesis that have the feet horizontal, and GenX supports some of them as well (see the manual for details).

Poses may depend on the rigging and on the shape, so applying a pose may need adjustments when used with V4 shape on Genesis 3. The V4 clone morph contains adjustments in the rigging to pose correctly, but this also means that poses for the original Genesis 3 will not work exactly as before. However,  this is true for other morphs with joint adjustments as well.

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

Thanks for the explanation! Overall, I'm enjoying the product.