Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 8

Comments

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited December 1969

Great works everybody. I keep being amazed by all the bling that Roland is able to show. And of course, Tim puts out one after another astonishing render. And Pen must have put many, many hours of work into that terrace!

Here is my simple contribution. Though the process of creating this is a little weird. I started out from the question on 'Photoshop filters', taking it rather literally. So I went into my old version of Photoshop Elements (I'm Dutch, you know ;)) and starting with a blank file, I threw sone filters on it. This lead to some variation in grey tones. Then I selected a slightly rendom form and added some more or less grey to it. I used this as the start of a terrain in Bryce (New - picture) and then modified it by lowering and smoothing. Took my camera to a nice position, choose a nice sky (with fog), made the plain into a sea, probably moved the sun around a little and there you have it!

First is my output from PE and then the render that I made. Probably going to make more from this landscape!

craterlake.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 846K
    filtermap4.jpg
    1890 x 1417 - 2M
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Oooh, I like that third one, David...touch of Tron to it.

A comtemplative doodle below...back of mind stuff...me thinks.

Title: Father and Son

Jay

FatherSon.jpg
    873 x 869 - 470K
  • mx42bmx42b Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Just something I wanted to do...
    Title: Elf by Firelight
    ~M.

psd1.jpg
    1440 x 875 - 201K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Hansmar, good idea to generate random textures and just see what you end up with as a terrain height map.

Jay, If one was a female it could be illustrating the Johnny Preston song Running Bear.

MX42B, looking good.

Today's effort from me expanded on my last one. I added a lot more vegetation and got rid of the fire and girl and presto:

JungleGorilla.jpg
    750 x 975 - 401K
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

thank you for all the nice comments, i appreciate them a lot :) ....also, great renders from everyone as well! ....really great work! :)

edited December 1969

I went on a bit of a brows through some free model sites, this one caught my eye :)

Crystal_Ball_1.jpg
    1200 x 563 - 130K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited November 2014

Heh he, Savage...had to look that song up. I think, and I don't why/where the concept came from, but I'm assuming the divide between the two characters has something to do with the chasm that sometimes divides the generations - ooooh, heavy :down:

mx42b...nicest-looking elf I've ever seen. Yeah, I see elfs a lot ;)

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,539
    edited December 1969

@Tim - I like the room but it needs yet some furniture and a bit of colour would make it warmer.

@Dave - the vegetation of CaveMouth looks great. The one used for the surprised ape as well.

@yellow Pen - what a beautiful place. Very inviting.

@hansmar - interesting renders.

@Jay - thought provoking render.

@mx42b - nicely presented lady.

@Tim - very nice stand for the mirror ball.

Been playing around a bit with a new terrain.

Peaks.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 189K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Gorillas in the mist

GorillasInTheMistAL.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 582K
    edited December 1969

@ Horo - beautiful landscape scene :) ....and i think i will agree with you about the furniture and colour, every little bit of feed back about my renders i really appreciate very much, it's how i improve my work,...haha well it has worked so far :)

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 920
    edited December 1969

Guss Nemo, David and Horo, thank you for your nice comments :-)

David: it looks good, what you are doing. My favorite is the third one.

All others: beautiful renders.... and I love these Gorillas in the fog. :-)

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@hansmar: Neat idea, and nice results when rendered.

@Jay: Several interpretations could be drawn from that nice image. But at least there's room for both to close the gap.

@mx42b: That's a very nice presentation of a character. Colors and lighting are nice.

@Dave: Really like your gorilla images, they both have great atmosphere.

@Tim Bateman: The orb on a stand is great.

@Horo: Newest terrain looks great. Looks like a long shot of a valley floor, with winding paths.

edited December 1969

@TheSavage and @GussNemo, Thanks, though it was not really my idea (at least not the start). Glad you like the results
    @Horo, thanks too. What a wonderful terrain you made again!
    @The Savage: I really like your Gorrilla in the foliage render!
    @TimBateman: Wonderful. Looks like I see a whole town in the reflection.

OK, so the next one is a render with a long sad history and not so happy end.
    I started this months ago, but when rendering I saw that it would take more than 25 days. And there were bushes and trees floating in the air (I noticed after about 7 days of rendering). So I stopped and restarted. However, I first remade the trees and the bushes with less polygons to ‘speed it up’. Used instancing a lot (without too many problems). Then restarted rendering. Now, we had a power shortage for an hour or so (or longer) in the night and I did not notice. Of course, I forgot to save it just before rendering…. Restart again! Then, after another week of rendering or so: lightning strike in the neighborhood. Killed the sound of my TV and disrupted my computer as well. However, with a restart yet again it appeared to work well.
    Finally able to finish the render (more than 10 days, I think) I notices (before the end) all the black and white dots. Tried to rerender parts at 256 passes, but that did not help. Conclusion: I give up on this one! The size of the file is almost 200 MB. The number of polygons is very big. I won’t do it again.
    Found the deer here: http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/deer-94438.html (from Tomb Raider, it says)
    Trees and bushes all made in Ngplant. Texturing and rendering (IBL, True ambience) in Bryce, of course.

treeline.jpg
    695 x 695 - 691K
    edited December 1969

@hansmar: I haven't rendered an image that took day to finish, but have had a power failure in the midst of rendering an image. And didn't save before starting. So I know how you felt when it all happened. That image is awfully nice, it has a wonderful atmosphere. I love the haze at the vanishing point, gives it a mysterious look.

edited December 1969

@Dave - gorillas in mist look great.

@Tim - thank you.

@Jamie - thank you.

@hansmar - thank you. Very nice render with the tree-lined road. Sorry to hear how much bad luck accumulated before this render finished.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Beautiful inspiring work from everyone.

2 stills based on David’s Bryce Gold material setup . For the 2nd Wings 3D object I used the Wings 3D - Borromean Knot - by David Brinnen tutorial.

The 3rd-with David’s help I think I got the gemstone effect, now for more experimenting. Thanks David.

gemstone-pht.jpg
    600 x 600 - 15K
    brycegold2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 29K
    brycegold1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 34K
    edited December 1969

@ Mermaid - great work :) ,the DOF effect is perfect...in my opinion, well done :)

edited December 1969

@mermaid: Nicely done.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo: Just try a very slow Core Duo T6600 2.20 GHz laptop and a very complex scene ;)
    Anyway, thanks. And glad to hear I am not the only one that is not always very clever.....

@ Horo, Thanks. Bad luck is what you get for wanting too much (and letting your laptop run for days on a row, I guess).

@mermaid010: Nice works. Specifically like the first one!

Here is a new one. With TA and IBL (from the sky) and only slightly over half an hour render! That's with 11010049 polygons: three stacked terrains.
    Made another view from the same mountain (much less snow on that side) and put it on Deviantart.
    I did make the terrain map in a peculiar way. I took a photo of some flowers (really!, see second picture), made it greyscale and took it into the DTE. Then I choose quite some 'smoothing' and 'round edges' and did some eroding (and some height and slope noise). And: voila, a realistic mountain map (I think). Hope you like it!

flowersmap.jpg
    1434 x 1076 - 378K
    newmountain2.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 937K
    edited November 2014

@hansmar: Interesting results on your latest terrain. That second image reminds me of a lot of curly hair.

I took a break from the house I'm struggling to build in Hexagon, and from wrapping my head around animation, to take the time to work a challenge on another site. Had to re-watch a few videos to get things how I wanted, but I like what resulted. The object was created by a person on that site, I just added the material and such.

Snow_Globe_6.png
    1080 x 810 - 990K
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

im still in gem mode :) ...thought i would share

Gems_1.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 110K
    edited December 1969

@Tim Bateman: Those look nice, though I find the ruby and emerald a bit hard to see.

edited December 1969

Thanks Tim, Guss and Hansmar for the nice comments.

Hansmar- interesting technique for height maps, nice render, thanks for sharing.

Guss-beautiful globe missing the snow

Tim - another nice render. Are you using Hdri for the lighting

edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - looking great.

@hansmar - very nice. Using pictures as terrains can give very interesting and unsuspected results.

@Jamie - the dragon in the sphere looks very nice. Did you make the cloth underneath with a terrain or did you model it in Hex? It looks great.

@Tim - looks nice but I'm not conviced. The red on the table from the ruby is inconsistent, we would expect the other side brightly lit so that light can travel through the ruby.

edited December 1969

ty for the comments :)

@ Mermaid - yes i just used HDRI to get the effect, ....just the HDRI reflection and true ambient obscure lighting :)

i thought i would share this WIP as well :)

The_Country_side_1.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 267K
    edited December 1969

Tim - another beautiful landscape- love it

edited December 1969

@Tim Bateman: Thank you. I guess I could have put snow in the globe, if I knew how it was done, but it was more about just the globe and pad the globe sits on.

@Horo: Thanks. I didn't make any of the main object, globe, pedestal inside the globe, or the pad the globe sits on. All of that was made by one of the people on the other site, using Hexagon. The only thing I did to the whole thing was to add glass material to the globe, wood material to the pedestal, and an adjusted Red Fractal bump to the pad.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo: Thanks. And indeed. it were flowers that had fully bloomed or even the 'fruits' thereof; don't know for sure.
    And your render of the bowl and dragon looks nice. Very blue, but nice.

@Horo: Thank you. Indeed, experimenting is fun, even if the results are sometimes a disappointment (not this time, though). And I always like some element of unpredictability in my work. I tend to have that a lot in painting too: go with the flow.

@Tim Bateman: nice work on the jewels. I can believe the white and blue one, though, indeed, the red light on the table is a bit odd for the red one being very much in the shadows. Your WIP terrains is going to be very good, I think! Wonderful path.

@mermaid010: Thanks. Nice to try something new once and a while!

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Model made in Wings 3D Wings 3D - bit like a tennis ball but not - by David Brinnen

Rendered using a process similar to this Bryce advanced gemstone effect using phased hypertextures - by David Brinnen

Horo suggests that we gift you with gems for Xmas, I think this is a nice idea, I hope you agree.

Not_tennis_balls1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 67K
    edited December 1969

@ David - they look great :)

This discussion has been closed.